Hop To
#3984624 - 07/22/14 09:39 PM Rain at the airport  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Just got back from flying with a buddy. This may help people who have never seen tropical rain squalls. They are quite strong but very localized. This one was just on the edge of the field on the departure end of runway 27. You can see how the tower of falling rain starts to flare out at the bottom so you get winds away from the rain squall. We used runway 21 and only got some light rain on the windshield.

What it looks like from the side while in the air.

Pictures taken with my iPad.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3984689 - 07/23/14 12:08 AM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Cool pictures OG! Where were the pictures taken?

#3984795 - 07/23/14 05:33 AM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
We get them here all the time so much so that we do not take pictures of them wink

Many years ago we hosted a charming English couple (friends of my relatives). The first time they saw a monsoon storm with windblown rain pelting sideways, they just stood in front the window gawking punctuating with the occasional gasp when there were flashes of lightning and cannon-shot thunderclaps.

We got bemused looking at their reaction.

I'd imagined the worst weather in our neck of the woods will pale next to the stuff you guys get at Tornado Alley or those Catergory level Hurricanes that Nixer had to endure year in year out.

#3984861 - 07/23/14 12:24 PM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Wow..that's amazing. When it rains here it rains for miles around.....but it is rare for us to get more than 50mm in a 24 hour period.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3984936 - 07/23/14 04:39 PM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
That's why I posted the pictures. I like taking people up and then fly circles around the rain cloud. People are always amazed that you can do that. You can see the column of rain falling and as you circle it, observe the movement of it on the ground. Dry, sunny sky and surface around it and heavy rain column. It can be pouring rain on one side of the street and the other side just get some misty blow off. You can get several of these localized rain storms in a cluster or a line. Fun to do long swoopy turns as you weave around them. As they start to die out, fly through the last thin rain. You can see through the rain column at that point and the vertical winds are virtually gone. During the summer here in Florida, they are pretty much daily occurrences that form in the afternoons.

Here are two more shots of that. In the first you can see two seperate rain storms. You can see how it is clear skies otherwise.

And in this you can see another one away from the field. About a mile wide.

Last edited by oldgrognard; 07/23/14 04:49 PM.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3984949 - 07/23/14 04:55 PM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: No105_Archie]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: No105_Archie
Wow..that's amazing. When it rains here it rains for miles around.....but it is rare for us to get more than 50mm in a 24 hour period.

Same here, if it rains it's over a 50 mile radius. Cool pics OG but I think your clouds are broken or doing it wrong wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3984961 - 07/23/14 05:23 PM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
That's pretty typical summer weather here. Last week I was eating lunch in a Five Guys as one approached. It passed over and I was done eating so it was time to go as I saw another approaching.
They were (as usual) moving west to east, which was the way I had to go, and I drove behind one and in front of the other. Got back to work about 5 mins before the 2nd one hit here.

You can go from sunny and cloudy to so nighttime dark with near-zero visibility and pack to sunny and cloudy in about 30 mins easy. If you're driving through one on the highway, it can take less than 10 mins.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3985002 - 07/23/14 06:21 PM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
That's a little troublesome OG....if you were in that with a light plane, it could have put you on the ground!....

Oh no, I'm not up for that.... wink

"Murphy's Law"
#3985784 - 07/25/14 03:59 AM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Even weirder is when there is a wall of fog on one end of the runway, but clear for approach and landing for the other. Zero-zero off 3, CAVU off 21.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3985812 - 07/25/14 07:14 AM Re: Rain at the airport [Re: oldgrognard]  
Pkumar Offline
Pkumar  Offline

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
That's why I posted the pictures. I like taking people up and then fly circles around the rain cloud. People are always amazed that you can do that. You can see the column of rain falling and as you circle it, observe the movement of it on the ground. Dry, sunny sky and surface around it and heavy rain column. It can be pouring rain on one side of the street and the other side just get some misty blow off. You can get several of these localized rain storms in a cluster or a line. Fun to do long swoopy turns as you weave around them. As they start to die out, fly through the last thin rain. You can see through the rain column at that point and the vertical winds are virtually gone. During the summer here in Florida, they are pretty much daily occurrences that form in the afternoons.

Here are two more shots of that. In the first you can see two seperate rain storms. You can see how it is clear skies otherwise.

And in this you can see another one away from the field. About a mile wide.

The pictures are very wonderful. The Sky looks so cloudy and beautiful.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.