Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3968309 - 06/15/14 08:37 PM Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1?  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Got a new laptop with 8.1 and in anticipation of getting a new PC in a few months I am trying to get LB2 ( and EECH ) to run on 8.1 to no avail.
LB2 says it's installed but attempting to get it to run just gets a Windows error box and nothing happens, IIRC it states a prob with running LB2 on a 64bt system.

Anyone have success getting it to run?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3968405 - 06/16/14 01:16 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

It's running with Flyboys Win7 fix and nGlide makes it pretty, haven't really played it yet, but so far, so good, Thanx Flyboy!!!

#3970566 - 06/20/14 10:36 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi kaboom,

Yeah I have had reports that my 'fix' allows LB2 to work on Windows 8, so it should work on 8.1 as well!

Glad to hear you got the sim running. It would be good if you reported back with any problems you encounter.

I'm not around here too often nowadays, but I do check when I am online.

Best regards,
Flyboy

#3971616 - 06/23/14 06:03 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Flyboy]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Got the X-45 running with new and old profiles but I have a new problem.
When a mission ends ( single missions, haven't tried others yet ) whether I succeed, fail or crash, the game CTD and 1/4 of the entire screen is the black box LB2 had occupied full screen and the touch-pad ( it's a laptop ) doesn't work. Worse yet the task manager box comes up under that black box so I really can't end LB2, have to re-start the puter to get control again.
Unplugging the X-45 makes no difference with regards to regaining touch-pad control.
Is this a known issue with a fix?

#3971626 - 06/23/14 07:44 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Ok, it has something to do with the X-45. when the X-45 is plugged in I get the CTD when a mission ends, with it unplugged, all is well.
I removed all the X-45 drivers and even deleted all the stuff in the Windows/temp/Saitek folder but it still CTD with the X-45 plugged in.

I checked to make sure all the knobs were centered.

#3972248 - 06/24/14 02:58 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi again kaboom,

Nowadays my knowledge is a little rusty to say the least, but I believe other people have had the same issue as you... myself included.

I noticed that I got no post-mission CTD when I didn't have my joystick plugged in, which is a by no means fancy Logitech Attack3. Obviously it's impossible to play the game with no joystick though!

The crash must be to do with one or multiple contributing factors... USB connection, too many axis, too many buttons... who knows?

I wouldn't have thought it's to do with joystick drivers and I know for certain in my case it's not any conflicting profiler software because my joystick doesn't have any.

#3972322 - 06/24/14 05:13 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Flyboy]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Yeah even with no drivers at all it CTD.

It's a tribute to the magnificence of Longbow 2 that we keep trying to find ways to make it work despite the avalanche of problems it throws up at us.

#3974175 - 06/28/14 06:33 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Which slot is the joystick reported as by Windows. EAW had a similar problem untill they reprogramed it to recognize more then one joystick was possible. it's just a guess.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#3974724 - 06/29/14 11:17 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Originally Posted By: Brit44 'Aldo'
Which slot is the joystick reported as by Windows. EAW had a similar problem untill they reprogramed it to recognize more then one joystick was possible. it's just a guess.

No idea how to check that lol.

More experimenting today, tried using my old Gravis GamePad Pro USB and got exactly the same CTD as the X-45 in both the USB-2 slots and USB-3 slots. Just to see what happened I plugged my phone into the USB with no game controller attached and there was no crash. Also tried disabling the touch-pad but that left me with no way to navigate the menu and thus no real way to test that.
Still looking for answers :-(

#3974749 - 06/30/14 01:17 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Quote:
No idea how to check that lol.

In XP is it settings, then control panel, then game controller. The placement in the list had to be the first one for EAW. Like I said, I'm guessing.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#3977011 - 07/05/14 04:48 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

I'm wondering if this can be a Direct X issue? I really don't know much about this stuff.

#3978916 - 07/10/14 01:38 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Houndhell Offline
Houndhell  Offline

Hey all. I have tried Windows XP without much success. I do however have a standard laptop touch screen with Windows 8. So far Longbow 2 has ran near flawless. In an earlier post I mentioned running LB2 at a higher resolution. When I run LB2 on Windows 8, I seem to get a somewhat higher resolution, rather than the 640x480 resolution.

To help those in need I thought I would post what I did to run this beloved game. Before I do post a small guide, I wish to post my system specs:

RAM: 4GB
CPU: Intel i5-3337U 1.8ghz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Playing LB2:
1. Install LB2 from disc images or CDs
2. Apply Flyboys patch - I did a global replace of all files (copy> paste > yes to all files replace)
3. DO NOT Install a glide wrapper such as dgVoodoo - this seems to make things unstable
4. Run the lb2cfg utility and selected Direct 3D w/Riva video card selected
5. Right click the LB2 desktop icon > select properties > compatibility > check Windows 98/Me
6. Run the game

Notes: The game has not crashed on me, at all. I completed all tutorials and every pre-generated mission successfully. My screen resolution looks pretty decent, and appears to be higher than 640x480 in game. If you wish to slow down your CPU because the game is too fast, I found that using PriFinity along with CPU Killer 3, with settings of 1 CPU checked in PriFinity and 5% stop rate in CPU Killer 3, does have some effect. Please note that I have only used the CPU slow down tools in Windows XP.

I hope this helps someone out.

Houndhell

Last edited by Houndhell; 07/10/14 01:49 AM.
#3978995 - 07/10/14 08:12 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Houndhell]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Originally Posted By: Houndhell
Hey all. I have tried Windows XP without much success. I do however have a standard laptop touch screen with Windows 8. So far Longbow 2 has ran near flawless. In an earlier post I mentioned running LB2 at a higher resolution. When I run LB2 on Windows 8, I seem to get a somewhat higher resolution, rather than the 640x480 resolution.

To help those in need I thought I would post what I did to run this beloved game. Before I do post a small guide, I wish to post my system specs:

RAM: 4GB
CPU: Intel i5-3337U 1.8ghz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Playing LB2:
1. Install LB2 from disc images or CDs
2. Apply Flyboys patch - I did a global replace of all files (copy> paste > yes to all files replace)
3. DO NOT Install a glide wrapper such as dgVoodoo - this seems to make things unstable
4. Run the lb2cfg utility and selected Direct 3D w/Riva video card selected
5. Right click the LB2 desktop icon > select properties > compatibility > check Windows 98/Me
6. Run the game

Notes: The game has not crashed on me, at all. I completed all tutorials and every pre-generated mission successfully. My screen resolution looks pretty decent, and appears to be higher than 640x480 in game. If you wish to slow down your CPU because the game is too fast, I found that using PriFinity along with CPU Killer 3, with settings of 1 CPU checked in PriFinity and 5% stop rate in CPU Killer 3, does have some effect. Please note that I have only used the CPU slow down tools in Windows XP.

I hope this helps someone out.

Houndhell

LB2 looks pretty on my 8.1 Dell laptop as well and SEEMS to be in a higher rez.
Have you been able to run it with a USB controller plugged in? That's where my system fails and CTD after any mission.

#3979723 - 07/11/14 05:49 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Houndhell Offline
Houndhell  Offline

Originally Posted By: kaboom

LB2 looks pretty on my 8.1 Dell laptop as well and SEEMS to be in a higher rez.
Have you been able to run it with a USB controller plugged in? That's where my system fails and CTD after any mission.

Actually yes I have been able to use a USB controller. I use the Thrustmaster HOTAS controller with a good success rate. I can do several things; switch weapons, adjust throttle, rudders and switch between 2D and 3D cockpits. I have not however, been able to use the Hat controller on the joystick to view around the cockpit. To work around this, I have been able to use the Alt+Joystick to look around in the 3D cockpit. The only drawback I have seen is to be able to view the MFD screens in 3D mode. The screens do not update in this mode. I will try to find a work around for it.

On another note, I am looking to build a helo sim that is very close the LB2. Of course it would be free and the SDLC would be very exntensive (dev time) of which, research,modeling,functionality,testing etc., would take place. I will display the work in progress here (I hope that is ok with the Mods to do so!).

HH

Last edited by Houndhell; 07/11/14 05:52 PM.
#3980306 - 07/13/14 05:00 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

WHOO HOOOOOO!
IT'S WORKING WITH THE X-45!!!

Windowz did a major update a day or two ago and I decided to give LB2 and the X-45 another chance and ( crossing fingers ) IT'S RUNNING!
Had one issue where after leaving the game and unplugging the stick I had no touch pad control here on the laptop, and had to re-boot. This MIGHT have been because I unplugged the stick too soon after leaving the game, dunno.
I have only jumped in and out of "instant action" so far but every time it has been working. Will see if adding nGlide messes it up or not.
Will check in later after flying it on the big screen biggrin

#3980323 - 07/13/14 08:47 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Ran it many times on the 47" Vizio tonight in "instant action" and it was pretty great, went to run a "single mission" and got the dreaded LURA but not all that unusual with these old games. Upon unplugging from the HDMI to the TV the rez on my laptop got all screwed up took me an hour or so to get it back, no real idea what went wrong.

So, quick re-cap, running on 8.1:
Fighters Anthology: straight install and patch, no issues.
EEAH: normal install and patch dance, no issues.
EECH: no install that works, only copying the Razorworks folder with allmods from my XP install got it running, I don't think the patch patches the exe properly in 8.1
Longbow 2: Flyboys WinVista-7 patch/folder dump got it running and a Windows update apparently let the X-45 do it's thing.
Need For Speed-Most Wanted: straight install, no issues.

Now if I can just find a patch that turns Nick Cage into a good actor lol.

#3985572 - 07/24/14 07:40 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Flyboy]  
Jave Offline
Jave  Offline

Mobile, Al
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Obviously it's impossible to play the game with no joystick though!

Everyones going to laugh, but I have NEVER used a joystick with LB2. Didn't have one when I first found the game and after spending the first year using the keyboard, when I did get a joystick I HATED it, went back to the keyboard.

Ok, commence laughing.

#3985808 - 07/25/14 06:51 AM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Jave]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jave

Everyones going to laugh, but I have NEVER used a joystick with LB2. Didn't have one when I first found the game and after spending the first year using the keyboard, when I did get a joystick I HATED it, went back to the keyboard.

Ok, commence laughing.

Not gonna laugh, just perplexed, having a half-way realistic LB2 running with a separate stick and throttle/collective are what sims are all about.
But I have to admit I never understood all the home-built cockpit people either.
As long as you're happy with your set-up I'm happy for you :-)

#3986353 - 07/26/14 05:19 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: kaboom]  
Jave Offline
Jave  Offline

Mobile, Al

Ok, commence laughing.

Not gonna laugh, just perplexed, having a half-way realistic LB2 running with a separate stick and throttle/collective are what sims are all about.
But I have to admit I never understood all the home-built cockpit people either.

Yea I'm hoping to get an X-52 next month if I can get the game to stop chain crashing. Can't get through a single training mission without constant crashing or freezing. Just reinstalled it a couple days ago.

#3986359 - 07/26/14 05:26 PM Re: Can LB2 be made to run on Win 8.1? [Re: Jave]  
kaboom Offline
kaboom  Offline

Ok, commence laughing.

Yea I'm hoping to get an X-52 next month if I can get the game to stop chain crashing. Can't get through a single training mission without constant crashing or freezing. Just reinstalled it a couple days ago.

I purposely avoided the X-52, too many problems, I got my second X-45 around a year ago off eBay for like $20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.