Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3982134 - 07/17/14 12:42 PM Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge  
MarutiaOrtia Offline
MarutiaOrtia  Offline

Bulgaria
Games traditionally feature both single player and multiplayer as separate entities. With the rise to prominence of PSN and Xbox Live, the two modes have been competing with each other. Underwhelming multiplayer in strong single player experiences and lacking single player gameplay in exciting multiplayer focused games were all too common in recent years.

At last year's E3, there was a clear tide shift in the game industry as the two modes began to harmonize. Destiny, The Division and Watch Dogs offered glimpses into games that acted like MMOs with players in huge connected worlds and raids, but all with the polish and mechanics of a top-tier AAA action game.

While The Division may not end up hitting until 2015, expect to see more and more games that are both announced and released featuring this melding of single player and multiplayer. It's another way to effectively make games "always-online." Do you think that this is the future of games development?

Strength and Honour Over Fear in War Cabinet
http://www.warcabinet.net
New Strategy and War Game
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3982274 - 07/17/14 04:33 PM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: MarutiaOrtia]  
Ozias Offline
Ozias  Offline

UK,London
Titanfall is an example of this - the AI logic for the grunts and auto-titans doesn't run on your PC, it runs as a cloud application on Microsoft's Azure cloud service

#3982305 - 07/17/14 05:36 PM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: MarutiaOrtia]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
That is great if you have a fast, stable internet connection. Not so great for those of us who don't.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3982369 - 07/17/14 07:22 PM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: Paul Rix]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
That is great if you have a fast, stable internet connection. Not so great for those of us who don't.

Good point, it depends on the type of game.

If I take my laptop on vacation with me and want to play Panzer Corps or somesuch turn-based game at a leisurely pace WITHOUT signing on to steam, without logging in to some random Wi-Fi...

... also I'm not a big fan of games that RELY on a central server either for authentication or matchmaking. Update servers- fine. Not having to hunt down patches is a great feature, but forcing logon to play single player is annoying. The Wargame AirLand Battle games are an example of this.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#3982374 - 07/17/14 07:30 PM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: MarutiaOrtia]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
1) I don't want other people in my games, because chances are a fair percent of them are going to be wankers

2) I don't care for statistics, best-of-class tables or any other way to compare myself with others playing the same game.

3) I don't deal with asking for permission to run a game I already bought for dear money, everytime I sit down to play it.

You got it right in the initial post that merging this is just another way to force authentication and "always-on".

In the end it's just another method to excert more control over the paying audience, more avenues to push DLC on them, more handcuffs connecting them to the ecosystem of the publisher.

#3982410 - 07/17/14 08:31 PM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: MarutiaOrtia]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I really don't know why consoles like MP so much when every game's MP dies in a month other than COD and Halo.
When they pulled the plug on Chromehounds, that game became useless since SP was basically all tutorial--and that was an amazing MP game, the best I've played.
Used to be there were a lot of long lived MP games, even Rainbow Six 3 and Black Arrow were huge on Live long after the 360 came out. Ghost Recon too.
Now...forget it. That's why I don't buy console games anymore. Well, that and the lack of imaginative games.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3982422 - 07/17/14 08:52 PM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I really don't know why consoles like MP so much when every game's MP dies in a month other than COD and Halo.
When they pulled the plug on Chromehounds, that game became useless since SP was basically all tutorial--and that was an amazing MP game, the best I've played.
Used to be there were a lot of long lived MP games, even Rainbow Six 3 and Black Arrow were huge on Live long after the 360 came out. Ghost Recon too.
Now...forget it. That's why I don't buy console games anymore. Well, that and the lack of imaginative games.

Good point. I have decided to limit my console game purchases because of this reason. Destiny is the only "must have" console title on my radar.

#3982602 - 07/18/14 07:24 AM Re: Single Player And Multiplayer Begin To Merge [Re: MarutiaOrtia]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I haven't played offline offline for at least two years now. I used to like single player mode but the (still) tragic ai and lack of decent single player games makes it near impossible these days.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.