Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#398170 - 10/23/03 12:28 PM She's hot!  
Caretaker Offline
Caretaker  Offline

Germany
Isn't she? ;\)

[img]http://www.geocities.com/krake09/pink5.txt[/img]

Just to point out that first progress is already being made regarding skinning... not very practical yet without templates or access to the original artwork, but at least it's not all encrypted like in Il2. There's also a new water texture for the low settings available somewhere.

- Caretaker

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#398171 - 10/23/03 12:48 PM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

weird stuff

#398172 - 10/23/03 02:06 PM Re: She's hot!  
Sparfell Offline
Sparfell  Offline

Paris, France
Quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
There's also a new water texture for the low settings available somewhere.
Can you elaborate on this ? What would be the name of the texture file, where in the files tree would you put it ... etc etc \:D ?

#398173 - 10/23/03 02:25 PM Re: She's hot!  
Caretaker Offline
Caretaker  Offline

Germany
From what I found out, it works like this:

There is the Bazar/TempTextures folder. If the game finds a texture in it, it uses it instead of one which is contained in the .cdds files. The name for the water texture for example is sea-256m.bmp. The engine doesn't care for the resolution by the way - the above A-10 is covered by lots of 64x64 textures ;\) So if you have a replacement water BMP, just put it into that folder with the respective name, and it works.

The tricky thing is still finding out the name and function of all different texture files. Many are simply identical to how it was in Flanker2 fortunately ;\) the .cdds files or the .cmd files for the shapes also contain the names of BMP's or TGA's.

Still some way to go I guess, but given that the game isn't even out yet I think it's no bad start to know we can get graphics into the engine ;\)

- Caretaker

#398174 - 10/23/03 03:29 PM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why do people feel the need to mod a sim? LOMAC is not even out yet and everyone feel they can do better on the water, explosions, aircraft, yada, yada, yada...I don't see why the developers even try.

I already see the demo mods allowing wrong weapons loads, released modes and other things... I just feel people are taking a great "painting" and applying their own "brush strokes" because they think they can do better.

O'well I've stared my book and I'm going to back away from the sim forums when LOMAC is released because I hate to see all the work (I and a lot of others) have done on this sim just to have it ripped to shreds and a "jet fighter6" being made.

#398175 - 10/23/03 03:46 PM Re: She's hot!  
Caretaker Offline
Caretaker  Offline

Germany
Believe it or not, but some people can do better than the developers, if only because they can disregard the time factor. I've seen what people were capable of in WW2 Fighters, Il2, and especially Flanker2 - which would not have looked half as good without 3rd party artwork. It's true that sometimes some weird stuff gets available, but that's no different then designing stupid missions with the in-game editor and making them available for download.

I'm certainly no believer in opening up everything, like some people demand (together with the popular, but wrong argument that "only open architecture ensures longevity" and such stuff...). But artwork is non-critical, doesn't cause compatibility problems, and most of all, it's totally voluntary ;\)

I can understand that from the developer's point of view, this might seem like abuse of their product at times. But that's a professional risk, and I'm pretty sure they can live with it (and many have helped such developments in past sims or other games).

- Caretaker

#398176 - 10/23/03 04:04 PM Re: She's hot!  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
..and what's up with griefing those who wish to put the time and effort into improving a sim?

developers have time and budget restrictions - the community does not - and community effort is what takes a sim from what was financially feasible to create to as good as it can be.

when it comes down to it, it really is none of your business whether someone wants to mod it or not. Don't like modding, don't do it - but don't be giving others crap because they want to.

Cheers.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#398177 - 10/23/03 04:56 PM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Bard:
..and what's up with griefing those who wish to put the time and effort into improving a sim?

developers have time and budget restrictions - the community does not - and community effort is what takes a sim from what was financially feasible to create to as good as it can be.

when it comes down to it, it really is none of your business whether someone wants to mod it or not. Don't like modding, don't do it - but don't be giving others crap because they want to.

Cheers.
Brad, this is my opinion you don't like it don't read it and respond to it! I can give my opinion any time I damn well please, I have never seen you hold back any of your opinons on sim matters!!

#398178 - 10/23/03 05:23 PM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Believe it or not, but some people can do better than the developers, if only because they can disregard the time factor. I've seen what people were capable of in WW2 Fighters, Il2, and especially Flanker2 - which would not have looked half as good without 3rd party artwork. It's true that sometimes some weird stuff gets available, but that's no different then designing stupid missions with the in-game editor and making them available for download.

I'm certainly no believer in opening up everything, like some people demand (together with the popular, but wrong argument that "only open architecture ensures longevity" and such stuff...). But artwork is non-critical, doesn't cause compatibility problems, and most of all, it's totally voluntary ;\)

I can understand that from the developer's point of view, this might seem like abuse of their product at times. But that's a professional risk, and I'm pretty sure they can live with it (and many have helped such developments in past sims or other games).

- Caretaker
I can understand the art work...I guess but, when everyone what's a sim to be "as real as it get" then mods the sim to be unrealistic get me.

#398179 - 10/23/03 06:12 PM Re: She's hot!  
Sparfell Offline
Sparfell  Offline

Paris, France
Quote:
From what I found out, it works like this:

There is the Bazar/TempTextures folder. If the game finds a texture in it, it uses it instead of one which is contained in the .cdds files. The name for the water texture for example is sea-256m.bmp.
Yeah, I experienced it by myself with a personnal sea texture and was "shocked" to discover it was actually working :p !!! The "unofficial patch" actally showed the way to go \:D . But thanks for your confirmation \:D .

#398180 - 10/23/03 10:37 PM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dice, your not alone in your thinking. A question for you though. Do you know of any file checker or punkbuster type of setup for Lomac. If someone want pink dots on thier plane in single player then fine hack away, but its multiplayer where mods/hacks cause a problem.

Caretaker, I agree but as long as the hacks, mods, whatever are kept in single player and multiplayer is clean then there should be no problems. Its up to ED to make sure Multiplayer can not be tampered with though and I hope something has been put in place.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dice-man:
Quote:

- Caretaker
I can understand the art work...I guess but, when everyone what's a sim to be "as real as it get" then mods the sim to be unrealistic get me.

#398181 - 10/24/03 02:37 AM Re: She's hot!  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dice-man:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bard:

Cheers.
Brad, this is my opinion you don't like it don't read it and respond to it! I can give my opinion any time I damn well please, I have never seen you hold back any of your opinons on sim matters!!
so, it's ok to give others grief when it comes to what they want to do, because you want to do so?

I hope you can see how that is hypocritical \:\)

I hope you can also see that by the time i've read your opinion to decide i don't like it it is already to late to not read it.

Not sure what you mean about me not holding back? I'd like to point out that there is a difference between objective and constructive discussion to just plain complaining.

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#398182 - 10/24/03 02:53 AM Re: She's hot!  
Beta-SW- Offline
Beta-SW-  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seawolf33:
Dice, your not alone in your thinking. A question for you though. Do you know of any file checker or punkbuster type of setup for Lomac. If someone want pink dots on thier plane in single player then fine hack away, but its multiplayer where mods/hacks cause a problem.

Caretaker, I agree but as long as the hacks, mods, whatever are kept in single player and multiplayer is clean then there should be no problems. Its up to ED to make sure Multiplayer can not be tampered with though and I hope something has been put in place.
What about Il-2 that allows SKINS downloads in multiplayer? I think skins are something that should be allowed/promoted, so squadrons can have their own unique planes. If LOMAC is going to be a multiplayer game, we need these options.(Even if our skins look like something outta cartoons!) ;\)

The Smoking Wrecks
"Littering Online Arenas With Burning Aeroplanes Since 1995!"
#398183 - 10/24/03 03:14 AM Re: She's hot!  
Slappy Offline
Slappy  Offline

Santa Rosa, CA
Tell that to the people who made Falcon 4.0 the incredible sim it is today. Those dummyheads. They should never have modded the perfect Falcon 4.0....

Break left... @#!$%^&% Your OTHER left!
#398184 - 10/24/03 05:49 AM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Slappy:
Tell that to the people who made Falcon 4.0 the incredible sim it is today. Those dummyheads. They should never have modded the perfect Falcon 4.0....
Sorry, but you missed Dice's point. He obviously spent a good deal of time gathering resources for the A-10 and making sure that it was as close to real life as ED's deadlines allowed. Now to have some of this work taken away, obviously does not sit well with Dice.

The problem with F4 and what the modders did was different and not comparable with the LOMAC demo so far.

#398185 - 10/24/03 07:20 AM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm,

This one risks becoming an agressive flame war, which we don't need...

But, here's my thoughts:

Dice-man - you were perhaps a little aggressive in the 'tone' of your first comments.... This whole forum is clearly full of people trying to tweak the demo.

It is also worth pointing out that all these mods/tweaks are likely to increase sales, as the original demo was pretty limited, and this will only confirm peoples' interest, and get them hooked.

It is also probably the case that a fanatical fan is likely to be able to devote the un-economic time and research to implement stuff that the dev team cannot.

And if you didn't want it tweaked, then putting out xml code was not really the most sensible of moves, was it??

Bottom line - whatever people wanna do - let them have fun. The only sensible objection, surely, is the point about multi-player issues, and IL2 FB has shown how to achieve fairness/stability there, with server-side ability to set a variety of restrictions.

#398186 - 10/24/03 08:44 AM Re: She's hot!  
Caretaker Offline
Caretaker  Offline

Germany
Hmm maybe this would have all been less controversiol if I hadn't chosen the A-10 after all... :p

Still don't see the big problem though. Yes you can do stupid things, but again the game has enough options built in that are also "stupid" from a realism POV (unlimited ammo isn't exactly more sensible than firing R-77's with a MiG-29A).

The only really valid concerns I understand are from the online community. But even that shouldn't be taken too serious IMHO. Granted, I'm an offline flyer primarily. But after seeing the many discussions about cheating in Il2 - which was about as cheat-proof as any software can get - I couldn't care about flying with people I can't trust anyway. Seems to me that's the only protection that works.

- Caretaker

#398187 - 10/24/03 10:12 AM Re: She's hot!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Beta, I think skins and textures are great, no argument there, but its when people start messing with flight models,weapons,etc that start to screw things up. If its single player then great, have at it. If its multiplayer then we have a problem unless there is some safeguard to keep things on a even playing field.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta-SW-:
Quote:
Originally posted by Seawolf33:

What about Il-2 that allows SKINS downloads in multiplayer? I think skins are something that should be allowed/promoted, so squadrons can have their own unique planes. If LOMAC is going to be a multiplayer game, we need these options.(Even if our skins look like something outta cartoons!) ;\)

#398188 - 10/24/03 10:15 AM Re: She's hot!  
Slappy Offline
Slappy  Offline

Santa Rosa, CA
"Why do people feel the need to mod a sim? LOMAC is not even out yet and everyone feel they can do better on the water, explosions, aircraft, yada, yada, yada...I don't see why the developers even try."

I think I understood his post just fine. What makes a developer anyway? Eh? Good dang question.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. I respect Dice's opinion for what it is. I just happen to disagree with it. Strongly. In fact, his opinion sounds evil to me. Dice-man, are you sure you aren't Darth Vadar in disguise?

Break left... @#!$%^&% Your OTHER left!
#398189 - 10/24/03 02:08 PM Re: She's hot!  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
being able to do custom skins is IMO not something to get cranky about. Squads are going to want to be able to put together their own squad skin, groups that want to put together acrobatic teams will want to be able to put together their own skins.

Now, the only issue i can think of with skins is if someone replaces a nice camo skin with a bright pink one to help them aquire the aircraft as a target - that would be cheating, but i'd be really suprised if the devs didn't checksum the skins to prevent replacement of the defaults and also give players the option in a multiplayer game not to download skins, with a little in game verification of such.

I think the original poster was simply informing us that he's working out the skinning functions and that there is some hope the user community will be able to create custom skins - something we've not had a reply about from the devs for quite some time.

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.