Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3976098 - 07/02/14 08:38 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: Jedi Master]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Originally Posted By: Arthonon
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that you are somehow more qualified to have a valid opinion than others because you really liked SW all your life? Do you think that others who have been just as invested in them from when they were young for some reason don't have the same qualifications to have a valid opinion?

I'm saying they can't claim that I don't like the originals enough, and when they present their opinion as if theirs is the only possible interpretation and I have to be deluded to disagree, that there's really far less difference between the two than they claim.

In other words, their opinions are based on faulty facts which they continually point to as proof that they are right when really it's just THEIR opinion and the so-called facts do NOT support their conclusion. As already mentioned, the dialogue. The original cast has stated numerous times how awful they thought it was, and then people complain the new films had bad dialogue but the originals somehow did not...when in fact, they did as well.
So I must be crazy to say the prequels really aren't much worse because of this list of so-called facts which, when examined, is nothing but a list of similar opinions. They justify an opinion with other opinions but call them facts.

So instead of just saying "I didn't like it as much" they try and support it with a litany of "facts" that are NOT correct, inviting criticism that couldn't be levied if they'd simply said "I didn't like it as much."

The Jedi Master

Of course it's all personal preference and taste. Sure, there are some people that liked the prequels, but then there are people who like blood sausage. smile

The dialog may have been bad in the first trilogy (ep. 4-6), but that doesn't mean it couldn't be worse in the prequels. It's been said that the movies were made in a different time, and I think that has to be a factor - movies need to keep up with society, so even if the dialog in the originals was no better than the prequels, maybe it wasn't as bad in relation to the other movies being released at the time. As an analogy, if the prequels used the same type and level of special effects as the originals, they would have been laughed out of the theaters. What worked in 1977 wouldn't necessary work today.

But I would argue that maybe the dialog wasn't necessarily worse in the prequels, but it lacked any good dialog. I think about dialog like:

You know, that little droid is going to cause me a lot of trouble. Oh, he excels at that, sir.

"I got one! I got one!" "Great kid, don't get cocky."

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought." "Nice."

"Being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited." "Sorry, there isn't time for anything else."

"Problems with your droid?" "No, no problems. Why?"

And of course the classic scene where Harrison Ford ad-libs the line in the detention center, and the "I love you." "I know."

Those were clever little exchanges that came up every now and then in a context that made the movie more interesting and fun. I can't think of any exchanges in the prequels like that.

The originals didn't have Jar Jar, and I know you don't feel the midichlorians were bad, but I think they were, and they weren't in the originals either, so those are obvious differences right there. Throw in the stupid pod race announcer, Qui-gon's ridiculous exchange with Watto, etc., and I think there is a case to be made that the overall impression of the prequels was less than that of the originals.

I think ep. 4 started off good, ep. 5 was better, but ep. 6 started the decline. And the later movies change the way the originals are viewed now - the scenes between Luke and Leia in ep. 4 and 5 are downright creepy to watch now.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3976134 - 07/02/14 10:12 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
That didn't seem to hurt the box office numbers for Phantom Menace,

total box office: 1,027,044,677

And this is in 1999 Dollars so it means that much more.

True, but between the mediocrity and the long wait, it damaged the brand, which costs a lot in the long run.

Just as say, the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies are going to make further Matrix universe products a hard sell, so too did the SW prequels.

#3976287 - 07/03/14 01:19 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
All your quoted dialog is from Harrison Ford, which is an indicator that the prequels needed a character like that, not that the dialog itself was the problem. smile

As for the prequels, the one that instantly comes to mind is in Ep 2 when a chained up Obi-Wan sees Anakin and Padme brought in next to him to be executed and Anakin tells him "we came here to rescue you" to which Obi-Wan, glancing at his chains, replies "good job."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3976389 - 07/03/14 04:25 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: Jedi Master]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
All your quoted dialog is from Harrison Ford, which is an indicator that the prequels needed a character like that, not that the dialog itself was the problem. smile

Um, someone wrote that character, so all they would have needed to do was write that kind of dialog for another character, but they didn't. And while Han Solo was involved in most of the quotes, he wasn't always the main person speaking, and of course he wasn't in the first exchange at all. So they could have written better dialog for other characters, or written a character to give them better dialog, but again, they didn't, and that's a big miss on the part of the prequels.

Han Solo was a pretty major character, so he was obviously a big part of the movie. What you're saying is kind of like saying that a second batch of cookies was just as good as the first, even though they left the sugar out, because the rest of the ingredients were the same.

As for the prequels, the one that instantly comes to mind is in Ep 2 when a chained up Obi-Wan sees Anakin and Padme brought in next to him to be executed and Anakin tells him "we came here to rescue you" to which Obi-Wan, glancing at his chains, replies "good job."

The Jedi Master

That's not bad, but let's hear some more.

A few more from the originals (and not just comical):

"You sure have a way with people."

"The Force is with you, young Skywalker.....but you are not a Jedi yet."

"We don't have time to put this to the committee" "I'm NOT a committee!"

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

"It is you and your abilities the Emperor wants. That is why your friends are made to suffer." "That's why I have to go."

"It's a good thing you don't taste very good." (removed from the Blu-Ray release for some reason)

"How typical."

"Hey, it's me!"

"And I thought they smelled bad....on the outside."

Ken Cartwright

#3976401 - 07/03/14 04:53 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: Arthonon]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
[quote=Jedi Master][quote=Arthonon]I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that you are somehow more qualified to have a valid opinion than others because you really liked SW all your life? Do you think that others who have been just as invested in them from when they were young for some reason don't have the same qualifications to have a valid opinion?

But I would argue that maybe the dialog wasn't necessarily worse in the prequels, but it lacked any good dialog. I think about dialog like:

/quote]

The way it should have been... NSFW biggrin

#3976421 - 07/03/14 05:23 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
This guy makes some good points... Obi Wan is an #%&*$#

#3976438 - 07/03/14 06:03 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Agreed about people not liking the "hero downfall" arc. That's something that mainstream audiences don't usually care to see. I mean, besides the SW prequels, how many other films can we think of that had a hero going bad and staying that way for a long time?

Dexter although the hero started out bad and ended that way.

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3976493 - 07/03/14 07:53 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Another problem with the prequel movies, as with pretty much all prequel movies, is that you know how it's going to end. Maybe not the procedure to reach that end, but you know pretty much this one lives, that one probably doesn't, this one turns into _____ and the bad guys take over.
You had a pretty good idea with the original movies too, but only because good triumphs over evil in movies like that, but not because you actually knew most of the story already. You didn't know nearly as much as you did with the prequel movies, which you just watched to see how awkwardly they could fit their round peg into the square hole that was Anakin the somewhat likable kid. Even in the final fight, you knew what was going to happen, so there wasn't really any tension in an otherwise very well done duel. They worked for a long time to pull that off, but the audience has known since '77 that Obi Wan lives, and Vader is walking around on life support.

Basically, the prequels were a story that you could've just been told, or shown in a long exposition scene, rather than make a full movie or movies out of. The way LOTR told the story of Sauron losing the war and the ring to begin with would have been plenty for the prequel story. Instead, we got 3 movies.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3976542 - 07/03/14 09:24 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Sometimes a prequel story is worth it in it's own.

The whole "you know the ending" argument is poppycock if you ask me. In 95% of movies you already know the ending before you go in. You know X will win the day, Y will get the girl, and so forth. Movies are pretty formulastic after all.

It's how you present the story that matters. Everyone knows Hitler dies at the end of Der Untergang, doesn't make it a bad movie just because you know the ending. Prequels can be great, if done as good movies. Look at Godfather II, the prequel bits in there are just as good as the first movie.

#3977324 - 07/06/14 09:21 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Leaked VII footage.

#3978450 - 07/09/14 01:21 AM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: SkateZilla]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
Jar Jar is the most embarrassing screw up ever, his character should have never existed.

I wonder who was more responsible for Jar Jar - George Lucas or Ahmed Best?

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3978451 - 07/09/14 01:30 AM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: Clydewinder]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder
I think Portman is a good actress. She was just miscast as Amidala.

She was terrible in the Thor movies too, IMO.

My interest in NP has waned over the years. I'm a Rose Byrne fan now, who was, ironically, one of her doubles in the prequel trilogy.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3978606 - 07/09/14 02:12 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yet missing from X Men Days of Future Past.

Actually, while Keira Knightley was one of her doubles, I think Rose was just one of her regular handmaidens. I clearly recall her sitting down on the bed beside Padme in her room after the attack by Zam with the centipedes.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3978755 - 07/09/14 07:21 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Oh yeah, I remember her now that you describe the scene. She didn't strike me as being that attractive in that scene, but I think she looks good now (Rose Byrne, I mean).

OK, here's a question back on the topic of the movies - what story purpose did it serve to make Padme a queen, does anyone know? It just seemed unnecessary to me.

Ken Cartwright

#3978759 - 07/09/14 07:28 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

OK, here's a question back on the topic of the movies - what story purpose did it serve to make Padme a queen, does anyone know? It just seemed unnecessary to me.

That's really an excellent question and the immediate reason that comes to my mind is that Leia was referred to as "Princess" in ANH so since she was a princess it would be logical to assume that her mother was a queen.

Now what certainly did NOT make sense is that the monarchs on Naboo served terms in office. LOL
Why have a hereditary title if you are limited to serving so many terms before someone else takes over as "queen"? It's just antithetical. Lucas could have at least modelled the Naboo royalty on the constitutional monarchy of modern day Britain. That at least would have made sense.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/09/14 07:29 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3978792 - 07/09/14 08:42 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I thought of the princess reference too, but since no one knew she was Padme's daughter until well after she was referred to as a princess, it didn't make sense. Her title of princess should have come from her position on Alderaan, not her birth mother that was kept secret. Everyone would have been asking, "why are you being called a princess? Are you just difficult?"

I looked up Bail Organa and there is a reference to him being part of a royal family, so I guess that's where Leia would have gotten her princess title.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bail_Organa

Kind of unfair - Leia gets to be a princess, Luke goes to a desert hell hole.

Last edited by Arthonon; 07/09/14 08:47 PM.

Ken Cartwright

#3978930 - 07/10/14 02:04 AM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
I think Padme was a queen because the story was so poorly thought out that they were just throwing trash in everywhere. "leah was a princess, so we need a queen now". Kids love C3P0, lets have Anakin build him for some reason!

Battlestar Galactica syndrome... just make it up as you go along ( until you paint yourself into a corner, that is... )

How else do you explain Luke making out with his sister?

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#3978979 - 07/10/14 04:18 AM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Leia was a princess, but I think it had to do with her adoptive parents, since it was all done in secret. Otherwise Vader would've known he had a daughter out there, which he didn't until ROTJ when he discerned it from Luke. He'd have been Prince Luke too otherwise. LOL

Guess this shift driving the nerd bus is mine. bananadance

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3979021 - 07/10/14 10:51 AM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
There should have been a Prince Valium in TPM. That would have made the film better.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3979071 - 07/10/14 12:36 PM Re: An analysis of Star Wars - A New Hope [Re: Clydewinder]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder

How else do you explain Luke making out with his sister?

If two kisses separated by years is what you call "making out", your dating years must sound a lot more exciting in retrospect than mine do. It also means most of us have "made out" with our mothers 100x more.

The Jedi Master

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.