Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3969763 - 06/18/14 06:44 PM Re: New Rainbow Six game announced...but don't get your hopes up [Re: Bahger]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida

I will concede that there are a lot of arcade things noticed in the demo, that's the way of the day I guess... sure I would really love a SWAT 5 or a tactical R6 game but those are history IMO

BUT... any game can still be played in a tactical way, and that is what I'm looking forward too... I play BF4 with Tactical Gamer only, hardcore settings and server rules limiting snipers, and gentlemen rules for game play, no bunny hopping, no using rockets in infantry unless a last resort, no flying in and jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft... and the game play is awesome... so it's not just the game(s) that can be tactical or not, but more so the player base.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3970782 - 06/20/14 07:49 PM Re: New Rainbow Six game announced...but don't get your hopes up [Re: M@verick]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: M@verick
Realistic tactical shooters doesn't sell what they used to, it's that simple.

Well, people said the same about space combat sims and guess what, Star Citizen already received so far more than $46 Million USD and Elite Dangerous more than £1.2 Million GBP and these games weren't even released yet so were those same people right? Obviously a HUGE and ROUND NO!

And I'm sure that if there was a good tactical shooter that it would also be a great success. The problem is IMO mainly because of two reasons:
1- There isn't any MODERN and GOOD tactical games nowadays! The latest and most modern tactical game that was released was that crap called Takedown:Red Sabre. Most (realistic game) devs seem to believe that since there isn't many realistic games nowadays that if they release one even in an unfinished and crappy state that people will jump in and purchase it - Well they couldn't be more wrong - Most people won't buy crappy games being it realistic or arcadish, period!
2- Most game companies seem to be run by suits that hardly know what a PC game is. They look into charts and "Excel spreadsheets" and the only thing they see is that arcade games take less time and money to develop with possibly more customers and thus a possibly bigger profit! And this is all that companies seem to care about nowadays, making the most profitable product possible without caring about quality and are not interested in making something that they could be known and renown about (as opposed to 15 years or more ago).

And BTW, if tactical shooters weren't profitable even nowadays, why do game developers such as UbiSoft use the name/brand of well known and realistic tactical shooters for their games?? If this was the truth (tactical shooters don't have any chance of profits nowadays) I'm sure that UbiSoft wouldn't have the need to use the Rainbow 6 brand and would invent other name.

Originally Posted By: M@verick

And I, my opinion, don't have the stamina for realistic shooters anymore. In the early 2000s I could have sunk my teeth into the ARMA games and the planning stages of the original Rainbow Six games, but now I couldn't care less. So Siege, BF and so forth are the norm. I'm looking forward to Siege, and had a lot of fun with the two Rainbow Six Vegas games.

Well in my end, I have less and less time to play games nowadays so when I have the rather rare opportunity to play games, I want to make every second count and I want to spend it playing GOOD (and realistic) games so I won't waste a single second playing arcadish crap.

#3971151 - 06/21/14 09:12 PM Re: New Rainbow Six game announced...but don't get your hopes up [Re: Bahger]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Well, Ubisoft uses the Rainbow Six name but they're mostly capitalizing on the Vegas success, not on the stuff that was done before and which was much less successfull AFAIK.

As for the suits in companies, my impression is that while they all think "arcade" games make more money and are easier to make, the number one thing that drives their decisions are a "we too" kind of attitude. COD makes money so we must copy COD. GTA makes money so we must copy GTA. DayZ makes money so...

Or even better. Assassin's Creed makes money for Ubisoft, so Ubisoft wants to make all games like Assassin's Creed smile

#3973339 - 06/26/14 05:03 PM Re: New Rainbow Six game announced...but don't get your hopes up [Re: elanaiba]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: elanaiba
Well, Ubisoft uses the Rainbow Six name but they're mostly capitalizing on the Vegas success, not on the stuff that was done before and which was much less successfull AFAIK.

If that's the case, why using Rainbow 6 name/brand for Vegas series?

So if it's true that current Rainbow 6 games capitalize on the Vegas success like you say than it's also true that Vegas capitalized on the success of previous (and more realistic) Rainbow 6 games.

As for the suits in companies, my impression is that while they all think "arcade" games make more money and are easier to make, the number one thing that drives their decisions are a "we too" kind of attitude. COD makes money so we must copy COD. GTA makes money so we must copy GTA. DayZ makes money so...

Or even better. Assassin's Creed makes money for Ubisoft, so Ubisoft wants to make all games like Assassin's Creed smile

For the rest of the post I must say that I completely agree.

#3975477 - 07/01/14 02:37 PM Re: New Rainbow Six game announced...but don't get your hopes up [Re: ricnunes]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Originally Posted By: ricnunes

If that's the case, why using Rainbow 6 name/brand for Vegas series?

Well, why NOT use it? It was not a bad name/brand, and of course it was useful to cater to the guys playing the brand until then. Moreover, why not use a brand instead of NO BRAND?

I'm just saying that nowadays most people think of Vegas when they hear about Rainbow Six.

Of course, I'm in the old school bandwagon smile

#3975921 - 07/02/14 01:19 PM Re: New Rainbow Six game announced...but don't get your hopes up [Re: Bahger]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I always wonder why they reuse a name just to totally change the gameplay.

"Did you like Myst? Well now there's new Call of Duty: Myst! Fight exciting MP battles with awesome perks across the land of Myst, blowing up those books and RPGing that monorail system as you go!"

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.