Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 442 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 441 442
#3975217 - 06/30/14 09:58 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

pssssst ... Olham ... I think you may have started drinking a wee bit early Sir. You have Maeran's Military Medal in the wrong row on your records sheet.

bottles

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3975269 - 07/01/14 12:24 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

I have to say this Campaign has made me a better sim pilot. I can fly in formation now without keeping a constant eye on my wing mate and my navigation skill are improving. The biggest thing, I think is the defensive flying. I have learned a lot by reading your reports. Lots of good info in them, even if I forget to practice it all the time. Thanks again folks. Its a blast!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3975275 - 07/01/14 12:47 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
I like this campaign as well MFair and agree that it's making me a better, smarter pilot. It's about doing your duty but it's also about survival. It's getting me away from that killfest mentality I've had for so long and reminding me that I need to get home to my loved ones when the war is over. With my first pilot I should have landed in Hunland and been taken prisoner. It's a good, sound decision in real life to choose life and captivity over death as I would have spent two years in prison but likely would have survived the war.

I've been navigating with Lou's maps (thank you) for the first time, flying with no aids whatsoever and it's been really challenging but I think I'll get used to it and be better for it.

Have fun all and stay smart up there. thumbsup

#3975353 - 07/01/14 08:17 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Shiloh]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Originally Posted By: Shiloh
Originally Posted By: CatKnight
Not that it matters much since he's passed on, but Albert Nuts' final hour total was 7.70, all hot, with 8 sorties and 1 victory

You can enter that Cat and then mark him as 'deceased' so you can go on the 'best dead pilot section' at the bottom of the chart.

Uhm...I did, or I wouldn't be bringing it up.

#3975360 - 07/01/14 09:17 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
July 1, 1916 We have enough planes to fly again

Another artillary spotting mission with the two Helmults. Thank God I'm not flight leader and that we have EIIIs assisting. Everything went well and all of us from Kasta 34b made it home safe. Can't say the same for a couple of the EIIIs though. Saw one go down fight off some Nieups as we approached the front. Another left the fight trailing engine smoke. The artillary men were happy to hear that they were hitting their mark.

#3975363 - 07/01/14 09:40 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

You pointed something out there, CatKnight - I had left the fallen as they were last time,
thinking nothing had changed.
But there were new final data for two or three flyers in the last records chart I got
from Jim, which I had not respected.

Also, there needs to be a line over the names, which tells what the numbers stand for.
I will work it out new and update soon. Sorry.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3975374 - 07/01/14 11:18 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Sub Lnt, Charles Chatterley and his observer Evans arrived at the airfield last night tired and hungry. He reported that after the attack over the airfield when they were attacked by 5 EA and headed west, all was fine until they were attacked by 4 more about 5 miles from the front lines. He said it was one of the most intense fights he has had. His observer, Evans , was doing all he could to hold them off but when more than 1 would line up on his six, Chatterley said he would turn and try to get a shot at one, turn back west and the chase would be back on. Drove them all back but 1 so he turned to take him on and sent him packing as well. Turned west with the lines in the distance feeling very well and then the engine quit! Set her down in a field next to some woods and both scampered into the woods to plan their next move. Moving at night and hiding by day they made it across that God forsaken mud to friendly lines. CO says to get some food and get cleaned up and some rest, we go on patrol tomorrow! Bloody war!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3975443 - 07/01/14 01:37 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

DiD Campaign Records

The mistakes in the R.I.P. Chart are now (hopefully) all corrected.
As I was at it, I also changed/improved it a bit more - hope you like it.

I want to add another column in the "DiD Campaign Chart" - "Nationality".
Here every simmer would enter, from which country his pilot comes.
Germans are usually just from Germany of course, but the British pilots could actually be
from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and godknowswhere else.
And since some of us live in one of these countries, I thought it might be a nice addition.
Haven't told Jim yet - I hope he won't strangle me!

PS: the previous column "Nation" will then be called "Air Force", so we still see where
everyone is flying. What do you think about that?

PPS: for the already fallen pilots you could add their nationality.

#3975453 - 07/01/14 01:57 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Yeah Olham, that would be a nice addition.

Why is there a section for DiD medals when we have Lou's spiffy medals?

#3975455 - 07/01/14 02:02 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

The flyers will receive the historical medals, as they happened in the Great War.
And then Lou had also made a set of our own medals for the DiD Campaign.
The ribbons of these will be shown in the column "DiD Medal".

#3975464 - 07/01/14 02:20 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I thought Jim took out the part of the survey about WOFF medals.

I'll update Aarik Bachmeier and check.

#3975468 - 07/01/14 02:28 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I updated Aarik's stats via the survey.

There is no question concerning WOFF medals awarded to the DiD pilot.

#3975503 - 07/01/14 03:29 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Ok I can do 'nationality'. For me the best would be a 'radio button' list but that would be impossible because there were some Americans with the French and some with the British etc. So it would have to be a text entry of about 10 characters or so. Let me know what is wanted. I am not really sure that it is useful but it is up to you - the pilots!

And you are all right - I took out the medals bit of the survey so if you have complaints send them to Olham and RAF_Louvert neaner

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3975514 - 07/01/14 03:41 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

MudWasp, just forget thinking about the medals, okay?
Every pilot will receive medals according to Lou's chart; so you don't have to care about them.

Jim, I wanted to contact you about the change, but the telephone just kept me occupied all afternoon.
The additional entry could be "Pilot Nationality" or so; and the old "Nation" would now better be
called "Air Force" or "Flying for" or so.
It is not particularly useful - I just thought it might add some colour to the bunch, and it might
be nice - if you are Canadian or South African - that you can have that reflected in the chart,
although you fly for the RFC.

#3975519 - 07/01/14 03:45 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
Hello gentlemen,

Been away for a while. I see you added a column for aircraft. Mine is still BE2 and I'm still waiting for my transfer request to be approved

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3975525 - 07/01/14 03:52 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Chart was still wrong - I updated it again. Gawd, I HATE charts and numbers!
Could anyone remind me, why I started this? Was it anything like "fun"? wacky

#3975528 - 07/01/14 03:56 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Rover, your latest capture on the web will show your latest aircraft. It doesn't matter too much and was asked for by RAF_Louvert for the award of medals. I suppose that your exploits in a BE2c would be worth more as you would be lucky to even stay alive! I know because one of my pilots has about 70 hours in one - but that was in early 1915 when there seemed to be no EA about. In this DID campaign of June 1916 the BE2c is not easy to fly in.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3975538 - 07/01/14 04:18 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I gotcha on the medals thing, Olham.

Just pointing out that there is no need for the WOFF medals column, and no current way of capturing such info as that survey question is eliminated. Therefore it should be eliminated.

#3975556 - 07/01/14 04:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

MudWasp, you don't get it.
Not WOFF decides in the "DiD Campaign", if and when anyone gets a medal;
so we deleted the medals from the survey.
Those decisions are made after a more realistic chart, made by RAF_Louvert.
And Lou will valuate the data and tell me, who will receive what.

#3975569 - 07/01/14 05:15 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Yeah, the WOFF medals are being ignored so we don't need to report them, but Olham is still reporting the medals that Lou gives out here in the thread. That's why we still have a medals column in the chart. Some day I hope to actually have something in my column other than empty space!

On a separate but more general note, this challenge seems to be having the effect on me that Olham was going for; the more hours I get the more fearful I am becoming. I am so close to 25 hours now I can taste it, but I am so scared of dying and losing it all that I actually feel a sinking feeling in my stomach as I prepare to fly. (That's a good thing!)

Page 39 of 442 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM