Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 442 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 441 442
#3973220 - 06/26/14 12:53 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Well, nobody's life depends on this, so a little mistake here and there won't hurt! smile

Thank you for your efforts, guys!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#3973223 - 06/26/14 12:58 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Just tested the survey and the number of victories does work. By the way, when you have completed the survey you MUST see this page:

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3973226 - 06/26/14 01:02 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Jim, this was not your fault at all - please read my last post.
I made that mistake (and don't even have an explanation really!) - I am sorry about that.

When I think about it, how easy it is to slip in a line of just one handy chart,
while transposing the data to the graphic - then I wonder how much can happen,
when you make a flight simulation! This experience has grown my respect again!

Here comes the corrected chart - hopefully right this time. If not: Sunday ain't far away.

Last edited by Olham; 06/26/14 06:41 PM.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3973230 - 06/26/14 01:11 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: JimAttrill]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
Just tested the survey and the number of victories does work. By the way, when you have completed the survey you MUST see this page:

I've also been in the business for some years, if I said I did it, it's because I positively knew I did it. smile2

But plse also note I said from the beginning it was not very important and it could wait. I just wanted to point it out so you guys could check what went wrong. Thanks guys for your work, and Olham you know I'm ready to assist if and when needed.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3973243 - 06/26/14 01:38 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Thank you, Corsaire, but now that the graphic is made, it should be routine more or less
(sometimes "less" - it could happen any time again, that I get into a wrong line and
report a wrong number for someone. Keeps you all focused on the next chart, I suppose).

Just make sure, everyone, that you fill in ALL the fields, and press the submit button in the end.
That should limit the mistakes down on - me.
Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

#3973258 - 06/26/14 01:58 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Well I have got past 13 sorties and hours. I have had almost no encounters with EA (as they were called) but it can't last as I am not a good pilot. But when I am deaded I shall join the RNAS in order to fly a 1½ strutter which seems to be the best 2 seater. The Fee is ok, but it has no rearward vision at all! If I survive I am due to join 24 Squadron with RAF_Louvert on DH2's. He has warned me that it is not easy to fly.....

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

#3973265 - 06/26/14 02:05 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: JimAttrill]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
If I survive I am due to join 24 Squadron with RAF_Louvert on DH2's.
He has warned me that it is not easy to fly.....

...and the man is so right!
Turnfighting with that rather underpowered craft is tricky, and you may easily get
into a spin, which it's hard to recover from. Rearward vision = zero, same as Fee!
So if you should really go there, my tip would be: fly the crate over and round your field
first, to get to know the craft.
Good point is the great forward vision and gun view you'd have.

#3973277 - 06/26/14 02:34 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
Dear sir,

One of our newest fliers, Sergeant Abel Wainright was killed today in service of the crown. He led our flight of 6 well over the lines to attack the airfield at Rumbecke. He seemed to experience engine troubles as his craft slowed way down and he quickly lost altitude. We were just 500 feet above the deck at that point as we were only 1/2 mile from our target. Rather than risk capture, Wainright attempted to turn back toward the lines, and due to the lack of power in his engine, he couldn't keep the craft airborne. I couldn't help but note the site of his demise within plain sight of the German airfield, but also a stones throw from the most beautiful French church. The sun seemed to shine down on the wreckage as if to say, he is someplace better now.

Sincerely,
Flight Commander TFN 'Teddy' Gerrard

#3973290 - 06/26/14 02:54 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Aaargh ! the titanium fence strikes again ! winkngrin

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3973302 - 06/26/14 03:51 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
RIP Sergeant Abel Wainright ~S~

My pilot now has over 3hours in his BBW (Roland CII) and put in for a tranfer request to Jasta 14, down in Alsace.
His nerves are unraveling....

#3973304 - 06/26/14 03:54 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Damn, I am sorry for the loss of Abel, Shiloh! It is so hard to make another day.
Touching first picture...

#3973367 - 06/26/14 05:45 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
Thanks for your thoughts guys. It's a bummer to die that way and that was my second mission to the almost exact same spot two days in a row. My plane literally bled off altitude at an alarming rate and I had no warning other than that clunking sound that started 5 seconds before. The day before we attacked the railyard just east of Rumbecke and shot up some EIII's that took off from there to stop us. I figured they might be pretty upset if they captured me as I was about to add insult to injury in attacking their airfield after having roughed them up the day before.

I've enlisted a pilot starting tomorrow with RFC-18 flying F.E.2's. I QC'd her a few times and I'm going to try not to turn to much - especially when low - and generally try to avoid an engagement when possible. I'll introduce him later tonight or tomorrow.

#3973376 - 06/26/14 05:54 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Better luck with this feller, Shiloh - he sounds like he will be even more careful.
Can't be wrong in a war like this!

#3973404 - 06/26/14 06:30 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

I am in 18 Sqn as well! The only real trouble with the Fee is the complete lack of backward visibility. You can, of course become the observer and look back over the wing but then you have to switch the pilot to AI.

#3973414 - 06/26/14 06:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
The Fee turns pretty well with flat turns, using the rudder. Well enough to take the fight to the enemy at this time. I usually fly them in Bloody April (I just like to make life hard for myself, I guess) and you can get the observer a good shooting position quite easily.

Algernon Didsworth has been injured and will next fly on 7th July (10 days).

A morning patrol over the lines near the Messines ridge saw action when my flight leader dived to attack 3 Eindeckers. It was a fight in even numbers but we had the superior machines, so I had no fear.

My flight leader was involved in a low battle with an Eindecker when the enemy I had singled out dived on him. I followed to stop Lt Noakes from being bounced, got within about 30 yards of the Eindecker and slightly off line and raked his engine until he exploded in the air!

My actions put me low over the lines and a burst of machine gun fire from the ground immediately injured me. I was able to escape and land at Bailleul Assylum, but there is no escaping the near 2 weeks in hospital I now have to face.

#3973421 - 06/26/14 06:55 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Gute Besserung, Maer... - aerhm - Mr. Didsworth!

#3973479 - 06/26/14 09:11 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Jim, Congratulations on 13 sorties in a Fe. That is a feat in itself. When I get back into a scout I will go back 24 and the DH2. I actually like this bird. If you are too hard on your rudder she will spin quick but stay light on it and she flies well.

Shiloh. Sorry to hear of the demise of your pilot. Hope to see you back in soon.

Maeran: At least the nurses are pretty, or that is what I hear.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3973488 - 06/26/14 09:29 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Rescued Basel and he's still No.1 RFC.
Backed up his docs just incase this sort of thing happens again.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#3973511 - 06/26/14 10:42 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Two out of my last 3 missions ended in engine failure within a few minutes of takeoff. Both times I was able to land at a nearby airfield, Mercy Le Haut. Both times I could tell by my tach that the Benz wasn't up to snuff.

The other had Helmut Kunzmann leading us on a recce on the front, but he decided to chase a pair of Nieups towards their home base. I flew cap, he didn't make out so well with ground fire, but made it home.

#3973614 - 06/27/14 04:56 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
June 27, 1916

After an injury and enforced hiatus due to my not understanding how transfers worked, Albert Nuts is finally back in the saddle.

Our mission was...questionable. A flight of three FE2bs was to fly 40 miles north to Ypres, patrol, then come back home. We're not exactly patrol craft, and there are 8 airfields closer to Ypres, but so be it.

Still, for a two seater you have to admit the FE2b is an interesting looking machine.

Well, so be it. Somewhere south of Belieu our flight leader suddenly loses his engine. He flutters up and down like a kite. I make one, two, three passes to keep an eye on his descent and he crashes in a wheat field. Both pilot and observer are severely wounded, the craft is a loss.

So there's two of us, and no shame at all in going home, especially as following our leader down has dropped us below 2000 feet. Still, I want to complete the mission or at least get some more flying time in. On to Ypres!

Before I can even think of regaining altitude, we're approaching Belieu Wood aerodrome when I spot two dots ahead. My first thought was: Friendlies going home. Then I realized one of the dots was charging us: An E.III looking for a quick kill.

An E.III with an HA (Constantin Kreft).

I am much better at this game than I was 20 days ago. One of the things I learned, was that running away without speed superiority is an awesome way to die. Better to try to tire your opponent out. It helps I have a forward firing observer. I turn into Herr Kreft like I'm a fighter. He may or may not have fired - my observer sure did. He passed me and began climbing rapidly. I turned past him to pursue, but now he had the advantage. I kept chasing him until I was sure he wouldn't double back, then turned back towards Belieu Wood.

That's when I realized dot # 2 was below me. Another E.III HA - Max Ritter von Mulzer. Von Mulzer currently has 6 kills (including one yesterday) on the way to 10 before being slain in September.

Von Mulzer is strangely low: Perhaps 1000-1500 feet. I drop down behind him surprisingly easily, and my observer goes to work. He spins away. I momentarily lose him as he is THAT low to the ground, but manage to give my observer a leading shot. One last swipe, this time from behind sends his machine screaming towards the ground.

NOW...no flight leader, one claim, and no reason at all to continue to Ypres - except that frankly I'm enjoying myself. The FE2b isn't that hard to fly (at least until the wind picks up), so we continue.

My wingmate and I arrive at about 7000 feet altitude. The winds are harsh up here, the rain driving, and I stall/spin several times. Fortunately there's plenty of room to recover, but now I've had enough and we begin the long slog home.

While passing Belieu I once more admire the graphics:

Before landing without incident.

Page 34 of 442 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM