Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 41 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 40 41
#3971587 - 06/23/14 02:25 AM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
you will see overtime after a tie when we got to the second stage of the world cup: the knock-out stage, single elimination matches.

Spring chicken to sh!tehawk in one easy lesson

PSN/XBL: Guynemer27
WarThunder/STEAM: Guynemer27
EA/Origin: Dude27
Project Cars: Dude27
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3971595 - 06/23/14 03:22 AM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I would have posted how though I was critical of the US in their win over Ghana, the US firmly deserved their win tonight. A 2-1 win was no less than they deserved on the night for me.

I had also expected that after this World Cup, Michael Bradley would show the world that he is a complete player, a box-to-box midfielder with vision, composure and steel. His development has been terrific, for me he was the best player on the US squad. Dempsey, Howard and Donovan get the attention, and rightly so, but you could just see how Bradley was developing in to that midfield general that is so vital to good teams, a player that can dictate tempo and pick a pass.

And then this World Cup came along.

What happened? Two poor performances from him, and when tonight's match was on the line, with less than a minute to go, and he just froze on the ball in the middle of the park and gave it away leading directly to Portugal's counterattack to level the score.

He could have done virtually anything else with the ball. Hoof it to row Z. But to cough it up where he did was inexcusable. The US team has played far above my expectation in this tournament and I couldn't be more proud of the mentality they have shown. But Bradley has been shockingly bad and it's a huge disappointment.

To have qualified from this group with a game to go would have been beyond believable and to give it up so cheaply has to be demoralizing. Still, they have a real chance, but so does everyone else in the group. I'm not a believer that the US would resort to 'suitcase deals' or whatever similar term is used in Spain in these types of circumstances, but I wouldn't look too badly on a US-Germany draw smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#3971611 - 06/23/14 05:06 AM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
I seriously doubt that the USA can get a draw with Germany...except if it was rigged. Portugal was very mediocre tonight and could have been easily beaten with a more accurate US team with less beginner's faults. German on the other hand are one of the top team of this tournament despite their last game. If USA want to beat Germany, they will have to play a "perfect" match, but I doubt they can. USA got their chance, and they blew it...

Ghana on the other hand have all the power to put Portugal out of their misery, it would be really bad for this world cup if their fate was chosen out of a soccer field.

Spring chicken to sh!tehawk in one easy lesson

PSN/XBL: Guynemer27
WarThunder/STEAM: Guynemer27
EA/Origin: Dude27
Project Cars: Dude27
#3971628 - 06/23/14 07:55 AM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Another hard lesson: it's not over until the referee blows the whistle.

Awkward situation now: if Germany and the US tie in the next game, both will move on to the next round. reading

Klinsmann and Lw are good friends. So everyone will suspect a "non-aggression treaty" in the making.

Question is: do you do the "honorable" thing and risk going home early, or do you "cheat" and play in the next round? seehearspeak

Ah ah ! why not ? and I've seen that once with the infamous FRG-Austria in '82 and that's the reason why the last group games are played simultaneously...though in this case the context is different...and most probably Loew will make his bench play with the substitutes motivated to make the show.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#3971722 - 06/23/14 02:04 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Rakov Offline
Rakov  Offline

Little help if you guys can.

Its been funny to watch cable companies own this game. I don't have TV in my house. So, whenever I go to ESPN to watch, it asks me my provider, then tells me no.

So, I watch it on Univision streaming, like a normal, healthy member of earth.

I don't speak spanish.

So I turn on ESPN radio.

This is horrible. Hearing an American who has never played... I could be wrong, but he doesn't sound like a player... grates on my CHILDRENS nerves. Just the voice is terrible. None of the care or understanding that comes with a European announcer. Doesn't talk about the game. It sounds like hockey. "Smith..to Jones. To Robertson. Long up the side, now they have the ball near the circle" Its atrocious. I understand that its radio, so maybe they are just giving stats to keep radio people interested.

BBC5 Live is locked down from my area.

#1 Should I make a new IP for BBC5
#2 Anyone know any other streaming commentary for the games?

#3971734 - 06/23/14 02:29 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sorry can't help you with your questions, but you can only be talking about Gus Johnson. I have the same reaction as you when he calls games, like listening to Doc Emrick call soccer games. Completely out of place.

As critical as I've been of the US, some players have impressed. I've been very happy with the play of Fabian Johnson. He has looked solid and a threat going forward. Jermaine Jones has played his socks off and I liked what I saw from Yedlin when he came on yesterday. 'Deuce' has seemed to drift in and out, but he has delivered, he is just a clutch player. And it can't be easy playing with a broken nose. And even Beasley played better, he looked more sprightly and didn't get caught out as often as against Ghana.

Just gotta stop giving the ball away.

#3971742 - 06/23/14 02:45 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Rakov Offline
Rakov  Offline

I had to look it up... apparently he does soccer and hockey... which is why it sounded like hockey.

J.P. Dellacamera and Tommy Smyth were my announcers. Ugh, jinogistic and useless commentary. Again, could be the radio, they spend their time describing the scene for people with out a view... so here I am, missing any comments about the depth of the game, just getting the scene described.

#3971748 - 06/23/14 02:57 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Set up a VPN with a UK IP adress, or go via a UK proxy, then go to the BBC's live streaming site.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3971751 - 06/23/14 03:02 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha I was sure it would be Gus Johnson.

Dellacamera has been at this a long time, I can remember him calling the 1990 World Cup in Italy. I'm sure it's no solace but Johnson is even more grating.

#3971767 - 06/23/14 03:43 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Rakov]  
December Offline
December  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rakov
Little help if you guys can.

Its been funny to watch cable companies own this game. I don't have TV in my house. So, whenever I go to ESPN to watch, it asks me my provider, then tells me no.

So, I watch it on Univision streaming, like a normal, healthy member of earth.

I don't speak spanish.

So I turn on ESPN radio.

This is horrible. Hearing an American who has never played... I could be wrong, but he doesn't sound like a player... grates on my CHILDRENS nerves. Just the voice is terrible. None of the care or understanding that comes with a European announcer. Doesn't talk about the game. It sounds like hockey. "Smith..to Jones. To Robertson. Long up the side, now they have the ball near the circle" Its atrocious. I understand that its radio, so maybe they are just giving stats to keep radio people interested.

BBC5 Live is locked down from my area.

#1 Should I make a new IP for BBC5
#2 Anyone know any other streaming commentary for the games?

I use a proxy to listen to 5 Live on the net and watch the game on TV. I don't know who the announcers were for 5 Live for the US game but they were terrible, they spent most of the time talking about what the players did as children than commenting on the game. They were literally having a conversation about one of the players family histories while a goal was almost being scored. The announcers should enhance the excitement not put you to sleep.

#3971770 - 06/23/14 03:47 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: SHar82]  
December Offline
December  Offline

Originally Posted By: SHar82
I seriously doubt that the USA can get a draw with Germany...except if it was rigged. Portugal was very mediocre tonight and could have been easily beaten with a more accurate US team with less beginner's faults. German on the other hand are one of the top team of this tournament despite their last game. If USA want to beat Germany, they will have to play a "perfect" match, but I doubt they can. USA got their chance, and they blew it...

Ghana on the other hand have all the power to put Portugal out of their misery, it would be really bad for this world cup if their fate was chosen out of a soccer field.

The US have a very good chance of a draw. Germany are very much hot and cold at the moment. That consistency may let them down on the long run.

#3971772 - 06/23/14 03:52 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'll be absolutely thrilled with a US vs Germany draw. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3971782 - 06/23/14 04:13 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Definitely agree about Bradley, I'm not sure if he is nervous or what, but his play has been a terrible so far, we need him to be strong and control the ball in midfield, but he has been avoiding the ball or panicking when it's passed to him, a disaster there at the end of the game when we needed him most (just boot it into the opposite corner or dribble there!)

Overall though I'm still really happy for the US team and trying not to let that last minute disappointment and shock take away from an otherwise excellent and impressive team performance in both games.

From seeing Germany/Ghana, if the US can keep it up, there's no reason that the US can't get at least a draw against Germany, unless they can't physically recover from this game in the heat/humidity.

Really looking forward to Mexico/Croatia today and Holland/Chile, some good matchups.

PS. Gus Johnson is the worst! really glad the WC games are not being broadcast by Fox and Gus, he ruins the Champions League broadcasts already with his College Basketball terms and mispronunciations, thankfully ESPN has the WC rights this time and uses some decent soccer knowledgeable announcers.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3971802 - 06/23/14 04:56 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I would not take the Ghana game as being representative for the German team's abilities. That's all I'll be saying regarding the upcoming game. wink

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3971804 - 06/23/14 04:58 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I would not take the Ghana game as being representative for the German team's abilities. That's all I'll be saying regarding the upcoming game. wink

What's the German equivalent for "smack talk". biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3971808 - 06/23/14 05:03 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

What's the German equivalent for "smack talk". biggrin

I don't think there's a literal translation, but that does not surprise me, because in football we agree with Roosevelt: "Speak softly, but score eight goals against the US team". biggrin

#3971811 - 06/23/14 05:07 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA

No smack talk biggrin was just mainly comparing how US withstood those ongoing Ghana attacks for 90mins, it was desperate at times but hopefully they could do something like that again versus Germany if needed for a draw, hopefully will not resort to that type of game though.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3971820 - 06/23/14 05:19 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Watching Holland-Chile with one eye: very even game, Robben almost scored after a sprint through the whole Chilean side of the field during the first half.

#3971836 - 06/23/14 05:49 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Holland had a hard time throughout most of the game, takes it home during the additional 3 mintues "overtime".

#3971837 - 06/23/14 05:50 PM Re: World Cup pre/in/post-game discussion thread *spoilers* [Re: Jayhawk]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
And as soon as it does not help them anymore, Spain wins. rolleyes

Page 17 of 41 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 40 41

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.