Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 442 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 441 442
#3968192 - 06/15/14 03:22 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

samba_liten, any "catching-up flying" is NOT according to the rules.
We ONLY fly the day we just have in real life.
If you missed several days, you must advance time to the actual date.
If there is no flying then, due to rainy weather, you must wait again.
C'est la vie.
Please read the rules.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3968198 - 06/15/14 03:37 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
Originally Posted By: Olham
samba_liten, any "catching-up flying" is NOT according to the rules.
We ONLY fly the day we just have in real life.
If you missed several days, you must advance time to the actual date.
If there is no flying then, due to rainy weather, you must wait again.
C'est la vie.
Please read the rules.

Hum...That makes my taking part a fairly pointless exercise, as i have a similar schedule next week, followed by vacation in the country. Oh well.

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#3968221 - 06/15/14 04:49 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

Interesting thread as everyone is trying to come up with a good, balanced simulation to historical experience.

I think Lou has come up with some great points on valuations. Clearly, valuate sorties and flying time well above victories and not emphasize kills. This was I think Olham's original intention.

As to generating less EA, I usually fly in a quiet zone when flying WOFF anyway. My setting was on medium activity and I fly mostly 1916. The encounters I thought were quite realistic. I fly with no aids, so I may have been missing a/c. But there were days on end when no encounters occurred; and then several in a row when I saw something or an EA attacked. I typically was not the aggressor because I wanted to see how long I could survive..as I would do in R/L. When DID was created this was a good fit for me.

Using light activity setting in high and medium zones might solve the problem of over emphasis on encounters and create a more realistic balance.

I'm fine though with whatever the final structure is..DID is a terrific idea for WOFF.

Last edited by cptroyce; 06/15/14 04:50 PM.
#3968238 - 06/15/14 05:37 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Sorry, samba_liten, but that's part of the rules.
OTOH this campaign will go over a very long time (the rest of this year, plus the next two.
You could fly little, and still have great points, if you don't die.
Just tell me, before I make the chart: will you carry on, or not?

#3968251 - 06/15/14 06:00 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
I'll bow out of the scoring system and carry on at my own pace. Thanks.

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#3968275 - 06/15/14 07:04 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Salut

Well this is a sim, and we have to take what is given to us from the computer. I fly "B" in medium, even with other pilots, and thus far on the Somme front if I bump into the Hun he is either in 2-4 EIII's, or an F'en armarda, when I turn tail and run for it.

My personal thought on the campaign was that I am flying to "live" and tell the grandkids about it. I actually do feel bad about leaving my AI Comrades to thier fate sometimes, but then they do some dumb things at times.

Perhaps we could consider that the 2-seater missions were/are important just as much stopping them too. Thus the situation is created that straight dogfights don't realy mean much. If your in a Scout squadron and you can prevent a 2-seater from doing his work or making sure he don't get home then perhaps you should get more pts for that. And if your the 2-seater then every successful mission should also get more pts. etc....

The fact is, that the Sim will credit us with kills and award medels regardless how we fly this Campaign.

correction..I was wrong.
Dogfights actually do stop the enemy scouts from getting at ones own 2 seaters....if you win that is

Last edited by lederhosen; 06/15/14 10:36 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#3968277 - 06/15/14 07:07 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

AT LAST - THE UPDATED "DiD Campai[u]gn Pilots' Records Chart"[/u]

So far, I have not added the victories into any formula, neither for POINTS nor for ENDURANCE.
The victories stand for themselves right now. We may later think of a way to valuate POINTS
and ENDURANCE with the victories included. That could still be done, as EVERYone would benefit
from that in the same way.

All German flyers with 1 or more victories - please check your pilot book (3rd or 4th page), if you
have received an "Ehrenbecher". If you haven't - make sure if your victory was already confirmed or not.

Edit: the updated chart is in post #1

Last edited by Olham; 06/16/14 07:22 AM.

#3968278 - 06/15/14 07:13 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
samba
I have only had time for 3 flights so far and won't be able to fly again until July 1 or so. No big deal. I'm flying to try and survive as long as possible and I'm not really competing with others, but rather myself.

My hours are wrong on this chart. My hours are all medium hours and my total hours should be 3.43. No need to change it on this round Olham but I wanted everyone to be clear about where I'm at. Thanks again for all your hard work.

#3968280 - 06/15/14 07:19 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

That was so badly wrong, that I corrected it at once.

#3968281 - 06/15/14 07:20 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Shiloh Offline
Sky Pilot
Shiloh  Offline
Sky Pilot

Massachusetts, USA
That was so badly wrong, that I corrected it at once.

You're the best...thanks Olham!

#3968308 - 06/15/14 08:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

More corrections made - JFM was missing completely; sorry, Jim!
Maeran's "Ehrenbecher" re-captured by German special forces - we need the silver for ourselves!

#3968316 - 06/15/14 09:04 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Yeah, that was the remaining question...

Maybe Lou would need assistance. What about you, Corsaire?

I offered assistance if needed on my first post at Combat Ace ... I have some free time if I can be of some use.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3968317 - 06/15/14 09:09 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Shiloh]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Shiloh
samba
I have only had time for 3 flights so far and won't be able to fly again until July 1 or so. No big deal. I'm flying to try and survive as long as possible and I'm not really competing with others, but rather myself.

My hours are wrong on this chart. My hours are all medium hours and my total hours should be 3.43. No need to change it on this round Olham but I wanted everyone to be clear about where I'm at. Thanks again for all your hard work.

I'm with you on that Shiloh! I like to "compare" how I stack up with the other pilots, but the real contest is with the guy that was in the seat the last time. I compete enough in real life.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3968438 - 06/16/14 03:00 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Shiloh]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Originally Posted By: Shiloh
samba

samba:

And I'm out until for another two weeks yet because of my glitch earlier when I was trying to get my transfer to go through. I don't see only getting a few flights per week as a penalty in a campaign like this. Quite the opposite probably.

#3968476 - 06/16/14 06:44 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I've been away for a few days ... quite a bit of turmoil to digest. I'll throw in my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Two five-kill missions in a row is ridiculous, as already well stated. Hopefully that was a really weird fluke. Maybe let's not panic unless it starts happening on a regular basis.

I will suggest that flying "full real" is one good cure, as you don't magically see all the enemy planes ... you get into less fights and when a fight starts the enemies tend to disappear quickly. I know, I know, I am a nut about this and do go on about it (sorry), but if you want realistic results then maybe turn off the "magical powers" and rely on eyeballs alone?

MEDALS: WOFF awards us medals, so I suggest lets not make more work and complication with a whole new medal system. Keeping it simple sounds good to me. I am flying two-seaters and don't care about medals; if I want medals I can switch to fighters (which I don't plan to do, as I am here to survive hours and missions).

VICTORY POINTS: The idea of DID was to reward hours survived and not promote hunting, so I am not a fan of giving out big points for victories or medals. One point for a victory seems about right.

AIR ACTIVITY: Flying in a 'medium hot' region (Flanders North) I have so far run into Eindeckers almost every flight with 'regional air activity' setting at medium. That's too much action, so turning down regional air activity a notch as mentioned seems to be an idea worth looking at.

#3968505 - 06/16/14 08:22 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Corsaire, I will come back to you, when help is needed.
Maybe the two-seater valuation and rewards would be a field for you.
I'll have to go through the stuff from Lou and see what we can do.

TO ALL PILOTS - VICTORIES

Victories will have to be counted by each pilot according to this list:

1 -3 kills per sortie = 1 victory
4 - 6 kills per sortie = 2 victories
more than 6 per sortie = 3 victories

Please just count them accordingly, and then report the final number.
Thanks, all!

#3968649 - 06/16/14 04:09 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
That will work, Olham.

I'm confused about medals now. My DSO doesn't appear on the DiD graph/chart
Is there a reason for that or is it an oversight?
I don't understand what Lou is doing regarding DiD, non WOFF awards. Please clear that up for me.

#3968665 - 06/16/14 04:42 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: MudWasp]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Originally Posted By: MudWasp
I don't understand what Lou is doing regarding DiD, non WOFF awards.

That makes two of us, MudWasp. biggrin

I assume, (I know, never assume), that Olham is wanting to present awards in DID that follow more realistic guidelines, which is why I pointed him to the discussion from several years ago. Perhaps the in-sim awards won't be tallied at all and only DID campaign honours will be counted. Again though, it is all sounding less and less simple. And like Scout, I'm a big fan of simple.

Last edited by RAF_Louvert; 06/16/14 04:44 PM.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3968674 - 06/16/14 04:55 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

While waiting to enlist my pilot (damn weather!) I'd like to add my opinion to this discussion about awards. WOFF already has a pretty decent awards system, so I'd love to see this kept as simple as possible in DiD. IMO, there's no need to make it any more complicated than the nice-looking DiD medals Lou has made and which will be awarded for hours flown. The rest of the awards should come from WOFF.

If you wanted to make it completely historical, the awards system of the German Empire alone would cause quite a headache for anybody trying to model it as realistically as possible.

Let's keep it simple!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#3968679 - 06/16/14 05:03 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Well, if it is possible for us to valuate the sorties, hours and results, I would
want to ignore the medals in the mission results, and go after the more realistic
chart you had published in 2011, Lou.

If that is an impossible task - well, then we'd have to accept, what we get from WOFF.
Simple or realistic - what does everyone prefer?

I guess I should make another poll for such questions, right?
Can't do it right now - Germany is playing vs Portugal in the World Cup in Brazil.
Maybe later!

Page 20 of 442 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse