Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3967990 - 06/15/14 02:45 AM Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to?  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I just started a US Navy Bomber pilot campaign (stock Dgen campaign) and in the second mission I got a pitch black night mission, which as expected turned out to be "suicidish" and even "unrealistic" (I have my doubt that there were night career missions during WWII or if they happen they would be very, very rare, specially in pitch black conditions).

Anyway, what I would like to know is if there's a possibility to change something so that I only get daytime missions in my campaign? Thanks in advance for replies...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3968045 - 06/15/14 07:11 AM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Hi Ric,

I'll show you the procedure, but I'm afraid there's no solution, for reason that I'll tell you later.

First, identify your campaign; it should be "campaignsUN2":

which shows that "CoralSea" is first campaign segment:

then edit by NotePad this latter's data base:

getting what follows:

highlighted number sets number of missions (4) that will be played on six (06) of May (05) of 1942 (2). Being this mission number positive they already should be all daylight, since a negative number sets night missions (e.g.: -1), and a zero (0) dawn or dusk ones.

Unfortunately, DGen has hard-coded a random function generating night missions anyway. I think you may skip it or try to reduce number of missions per day to 2, helping DGen making daylight missions only.

HTH

#3968151 - 06/15/14 01:28 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

Ricnunes, you should use Asura's new DGen, it works in the modded and unmodded version of the game.
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=20104.0

It has settings in the DGen_mod.ini file that allows you to easily influence the time during which the missions take place (see the DGen_UserManual file).

#3968180 - 06/15/14 02:34 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Thanks for the replies Greybeard and juri_js.

@juri_js,
Ooopps sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm already using Asura's DGen mod.
I already opened the DGen_mod.ini and the Dgen manual files but unfortunally I didn't anything that could set or allow daytime missions only. The only thing that I found were a couple of lines which allows the user to set at which time/hour does the night begins and ends (for both summer and winter). If I'm missing something could you help me on this regard? Thanks in advance.

@Greybeard,
Thanks for the great explanation.
I noticed that my Coralsea.db file is exactly the same as yours (at least on the [Schedule] part) so this means that there's probably nothing I could do?
BTW, the number that you mention that sets day/night/dawn/dusk mission is the "13" (for the 6th of May) and "0" (for the 7th and 8th of May)?

You also mention that I could skip the generated (night) mission, how can I do that? I don't see any option to skip campaign missions.
Thanks in advance.

#3968191 - 06/15/14 03:15 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes

@juri_js,
Ooopps sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm already using Asura's DGen mod.
I already opened the DGen_mod.ini and the Dgen manual files but unfortunally I didn't anything that could set or allow daytime missions only. The only thing that I found were a couple of lines which allows the user to set at which time/hour does the night begins and ends (for both summer and winter). If I'm missing something could you help me on this regard? Thanks in advance.

The NightBegin/NightEnd settings are used to influence the time the missions take place. Unfortunatly the manual doesn't explain this option very well.

The following settings will limit the missions to the time between 7:00 and 17:00 in the winter and 6:00 and 18:00 in the summer:
NightBeginW=17
NightEndW=7
NightBeginS=18
NightEndS=6

If you like to fly night missions you can use the following settings. They will generate missions in the time between 20:00 in the evening and 9:00 in the morning:
NightBeginW=9
NightEndW=20
NightBeginS=9
NightEndS=20

#3968217 - 06/15/14 04:44 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
I noticed that my Coralsea.db file is exactly the same as yours (at least on the [Schedule] part) so this means that there's probably nothing I could do?

That's the stock one, dated 2004. I repeat that you can only try reducing number of missions per day from 4 to 2.

Quote:
BTW, the number that you mention that sets day/night/dawn/dusk mission is the "13" (for the 6th of May) and "0" (for the 7th and 8th of May)?

That number is third of each row: that's to say 4 (four) for all three days. 13 and 0 are advance of frontlines for Japanese.

Quote:
You also mention that I could skip the generated (night) mission, how can I do that? I don't see any option to skip campaign missions.

Just start mission, ending it as soon as you enter simulation! Then click on "Apply" to allow generation of next mission. wink

About Asura's Dgen, be aware that it does not avoid generation of some night mission, every now and then.

P.S.: moreover, I would avoid to use Asura's DGen in that campaign, since it screws-up at Midway. Please watch following thread:
Midway crash with Asura's DGen

Last edited by Greybeard; 06/15/14 04:53 PM.
#3968239 - 06/15/14 05:41 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: juri_js]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: juri_js
The NightBegin/NightEnd settings are used to influence the time the missions take place. Unfortunatly the manual doesn't explain this option very well.

The following settings will limit the missions to the time between 7:00 and 17:00 in the winter and 6:00 and 18:00 in the summer:
NightBeginW=17
NightEndW=7
NightBeginS=18
NightEndS=6

If you like to fly night missions you can use the following settings. They will generate missions in the time between 20:00 in the evening and 9:00 in the morning:
NightBeginW=9
NightEndW=20
NightBeginS=9
NightEndS=20

Just tested your values (first group) and unfortunally Greybeard is right, this doesn't avoid the generation of night missions.
Although I have an idea using your suggestion, which is to reduce the night time itself. For example I'll try to set the night starting at 23:00 and ending as 4:00 (most of my night missions seem to be generating at around 19:45).

Let see if it works and I'll post my results.

#3968248 - 06/15/14 05:57 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: Greybeard]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Greybeard

That number is third of each row: that's to say 4 (four) for all three days. 13 and 0 are advance of frontlines for Japanese.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Just start mission, ending it as soon as you enter simulation! Then click on "Apply" to allow generation of next mission. wink

I believe that only works if you select the "No Instant Action" option to OFF. Unfortunally I forgot to de-select that option before starting my campaign and now I can't change my campaign's difficulty option again.

BTW, is there any way (editing files for example) to change the difficulty option of a campaign once that campaign is started?

About Asura's Dgen, be aware that it does not avoid generation of some night mission, every now and then.

P.S.: moreover, I would avoid to use Asura's DGen in that campaign, since it screws-up at Midway. Please watch following thread:
Midway crash with Asura's DGen

From what I read in that thread the Asura's Dgen seems to mess up with IJN fighter career in Midway and if that's the case I'm not so worried since for now I'm only interested in playing Midway as a US Navy Bomber pilot (but that might change in the future so thanks for the warning.)

#3968254 - 06/15/14 06:06 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

Just tested your values (first group) and unfortunally Greybeard is right, this doesn't avoid the generation of night missions.

This happens when a campaign uses more than one mission per day. I will report this to Asura, maybe it can be fixed in the next DGen version.

Although I have an idea using your suggestion, which is to reduce the night time itself. For example I'll try to set the night starting at 23:00 and ending as 4:00 (most of my night missions seem to be generating at around 19:45).

Let see if it works and I'll post my results.

This won't work, you will only increase the time frame during which missions are generated.

#3968261 - 06/15/14 06:19 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
juri_js Offline
juri_js  Offline

Btw, for me Midway works. I am using the updated Midway files that came with the EnjoyrPatch, so I guess there is a problem with the old stock Midway files. Asura's DGen is less error-tolerant than the old DGen, so it could be something as simple as a blank space in the wrong location in one of the files.

#3968329 - 06/15/14 09:39 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Yeap, setting up the night starting at 23:00 and ending as 4:00 didn't work.

Would be great to see this issue solved in the next Dgen mod version.

For now, I would only want to know if it's possible to de-select the "No Instant Success" option for an already started campaign and if yes, how?

#3968487 - 06/16/14 07:19 AM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Yeap, setting up the night starting at 23:00 and ending as 4:00 didn't work.

Would be great to see this issue solved in the next Dgen mod version.

FYI, there's a specific option only for Asura's Dgen to be set to get daytime missions only, but it is usually reserved to campaign makers, since it requires making a "settings" file (in your case should be settingsUN2.dat). Making your example, it should look as follows:

Code:
Pacific=True
UseParkedPlanes=False
UseSearchligh=False
[MapNight]
CoralSea False 17 6

The header is mandatory. "False" means that no missions should be generated inside the following range (17-6). As already said, this does not always work, though. frown

Quote:
For now, I would only want to know if it's possible to de-select the "No Instant Success" option for an already started campaign and if yes, how?

No, it isn't. I would suggest to start a new campaign, setting on the "No Instant Success" option (which is always good).

#3968704 - 06/16/14 05:56 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Thanks for the reply Greybeard

#3968853 - 06/16/14 10:01 PM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
You're welcome.

Of course, in my previous message I meant to set OFF the "No Instant Success" option; "on" was a typo.

#3978997 - 07/10/14 08:25 AM Re: Daytime missions only for Stock Dgen campaign - How to? [Re: ricnunes]  
vpmedia Offline
vpmedia  Offline

Hungary
Install Mission Pro Combo mod by Benitomusso, it lets you change the weather, cloud height, time, flights, etc. inside the campaigns interface + it has a ton of other cool features for the QMB & the FMB.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.