Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 442 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 441 442
#3968102 - 06/15/14 11:48 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Whatever the decision, I'm going to "light regional air activity" which is currently allowed in "B Class" realism. That is way too many encounters.

Olham if we go with your original proposal for counting victories, it will be easier on Jim if each DiD pilot reports the corrected number of victories, than it would be for him to do all the calculations.

#3968110 - 06/15/14 11:58 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Don't worry about the valuation - that is my least problem; Jim and I will find an easy way.

I still never hear anyone saying something to the fact, that 11 victories in 2 sorties
are looking totally unrealistic, and if we should change that.

Forget the valuation, guys - that is not the problem here.
My problem are very high, unrealistic numbers of victories.

Any ideas there, anyone?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3968116 - 06/15/14 12:12 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I wasn't the agressor looking for dogfights, the EIIIs bounced us and I was fighting for my life.
On the second sortie the flight I was in hadn't finish forming up when we were pounced upon. I narrowly avoided air collisions at least 3 times that afternoon.

I don't think 11 kills in one day, 2 sorties, is historically realistic. Easiest way for me to reduce the enemy encounters is to lighten the regional air activity.

#3968119 - 06/15/14 12:17 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Oh, on a different issue regarding flight time, some planes can have HUGE range and flight time compared to others. The Sopwiths I like to fly (with rotary engines) can spend way more time in the air than the German inline engine planes.

#3968122 - 06/15/14 12:21 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

MudWasp, it is not your fault - please don't think I was complaining about you.
It is the unrealistic number itself.
Had I been in your situation, I would have fought it out the same way, I guess.
And I might have ended with the same high number then.

Not your fault. And I would even feel bad, like taking something away from you.
A different valuation would make the points more realistic, but the sheer number
would still be present.

We'll see, if anyone else comes up with an idea about that...

#3968129 - 06/15/14 12:35 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Aaaah, now I see what you are getting at Olham, you don't wish to see the unrealistic number of victories showing in the tally chart. More coffee was needed.

Since that is the concern, yes, you should do a devaluation scale as you propose. 3=1 is fine by me, and since this is your party Olham I say we go with your decision on this item.

I am concerned about the lack of credit given by the sim to the B/R pilots when they successfully complete their missions. As it stands now I believe the only way they will be awarded a medal is by knocking down a few EA. They should be getting recognized for getting the recce done, and/or bombing the target, and/or getting the guns aligned during an arty spot. Oh well, c'est la guerre.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3968131 - 06/15/14 12:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I don't think your complaning about me Olham, all is good.

I do think the 2 seat Strutter has a Huge advatage over EIIIs in WOFF. I've no clue if that is historically correct. Things change quickly though with the Halb and Albs coming into the air.

#3968132 - 06/15/14 12:38 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Lou, I agree with your opinion on Bombing and recon.

#3968137 - 06/15/14 12:54 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
Aaaah, now I see what you are getting at Olham, you don't wish to see the unrealistic number
of victories showing in the tally chart. More coffee was needed.

Yeah - without some cups of good coffee I'd often be lost.
So I have drawn me a map with the way from my bed to the coffee machine.
Sometimes I forget it though, to place it by my bed...

Since that is the concern, yes, you should do a devaluation scale as you propose.
3=1 is fine by me, and since this is your party Olham I say we go with your decision on this item.

Would that feel alright for everyone? I still find it the best solution.

I am concerned about the lack of credit given by the sim to the B/R pilots when they successfully complete their missions.
As it stands now I believe the only way they will be awarded a medal is by knocking down a few EA.
They should be getting recognized for getting the recce done, and/or bombing the target, and/or getting the guns aligned
during an arty spot.

Lou and all: give me a way to valuate all the two-seater stuff better, and I will do.
I never fly them, so I don't know, if you can easily see when you have accomplished a mission well?

I would actually like to employ you (without any pay - sorry 'bout that...).
You could think of a way to award 2-seater pilots with a set of historically correct medals.
I think you are the right man to come up with a rewarding system, that is plausible,
and that will be accepted by everyone else here. What do you say?

#3968146 - 06/15/14 01:20 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord
Originally Posted By: Olham

I would actually like to employ you (without any pay - sorry 'bout that...).
You could think of a way to award 2-seater pilots with a set of historically correct medals.
I think you are the right man to come up with a rewarding system, that is plausible,
and that will be accepted by everyone else here. What do you say?

Discussed this very thing way back when:

Award Guidelines for the New OFF Medals

And here are samples of the medals that sparked the discussion:

Olham, feel free to use any and all of this in your DID Campaign if you like.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#3968149 - 06/15/14 01:25 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Gee, that is great! Thanks a lot, Lou!
But you are still employed (or I hope so) - can you think of a valuation for two-seater pilots?
When do they get which medals; how many sorties must they fly, or how many missions must be
accomplished (can this be seen by the player?).

If you could give me at least a first idea (since the flyers are not very far yet) for the
awards of, say, 25 sorties, 50 sorties - or however you want to do that.
I'd be glad if you could take this over.

#3968155 - 06/15/14 01:38 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Olham, as I noted in the post I linked to from 2011, look to the charts and take the kill numbers for the late period of the War and double those amounts, letting those new figures represent completed missions. As example, flying DID as a British two-seater pilot in your current campaign, you would need to complete between 18 to 24 missions to be awarded your first gallantry medal. Again as noted, by using the same figures for all periods of the war and in all areas you will be simulating how it was considerably easier to do your job as a B/R pilot early in the War and in the quieter sectors than it was later on and/or in the 'hot spots'.

[Linked Image]

#3968159 - 06/15/14 01:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Olham, wasn't it you who said we should keep it simple ? winkngrin

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3968160 - 06/15/14 01:43 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

BTW Olham, I'd be willing to act as an adviser to the COC, (Clerk of Commendations), if you would like the assistance. I served as the COC for the 209 virtual WWI squadron for over four years so I do have some experience with this.

smile

[Linked Image]

#3968161 - 06/15/14 01:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Simple is good Corsaire. I'm a big fan of simple.

[Linked Image]

#3968167 - 06/15/14 02:03 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yeah, I wanted it simple.
And correct.
And fair.
I wanted it simple, correct and fair.
And good-looking.
And easy to valuate.
So I wanted it simple, correct, fair, good-look...
Ah, I'll come in again!

(after the sketch "The Spanish Inquisition" by "Monty Python's Flying Circus" winkngrin )

Lou, that is great - you had the valuation charts already made!
Sorry for not looking into that link.

So well, let's keep it simple: Lou, I would like to promote you to be the CoC himself.
You just need to look over my chart once or twice every week, and tell me which medals
anyone would receive. I will then add them into the chart, before I publish it.
an you live with that promotion, Sir?

I knew it would be hard to keep it simple - but it was worth trying...

#3968170 - 06/15/14 02:08 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
So this means we shouldn't take into account anymore the in-game awards ?
Then you need to add a way to declare successful missions for two seaters ... you will soon need a team to run the thing ! smile2

Last edited by corsaire31; 06/15/14 02:10 PM.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3968179 - 06/15/14 02:32 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yeah, that was the remaining question...

Maybe Lou would need assistance. What about you, Corsaire?

Well, honestly, I don't know HOW to valuate the two-seater guys;
but I DO think that they SHOULD receive a better valuation,
regarding rewards.
Maybe we must go after their flying hours - successful or not?

Last edited by Olham; 06/15/14 02:33 PM.

#3968182 - 06/15/14 02:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
I've had a busy week at work, so limited time to fly, but this weekend i had some spare time. I've caught up to today's date, somewhat aided by 3 days of rain and no flying. Old Alois is still alive, still flying 2 seaters, but has transferred to a unit flying Roland Waalfisch.

BTW, love the medals! Gorgeous!

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#3968190 - 06/15/14 03:12 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

More rain, No flights, No dry clothes. I am thinking of transferring to Sea planes and shipping out to Sea. The Post came in and I got a letter from Jumbo over at 18 Sqn. Hq has been using them to patrol the lines. Who thinks up these things ? A heavy FE 2b as a fighter ? The Kicker, Before the rains, He got a confirmed kill or rather his gunner got the Fokker as he heaved the bomber around as a fighter.

Page 19 of 442 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM