Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3960565 - 05/31/14 02:19 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) **** [Re: Slaw]  
jskibo Offline
jskibo  Offline

Cincinnati
My Slaw pedals arrived yesterday. Well packed, they survived the long journey with no problems. No customs charges in US for those wondering.

Inside you'll find the pedals, a USB cable of ample length and an extra spring.

The pedals are heavy, all metal and ooze quality. The base has some wide rubber like strips that keep the base from sliding on smooth surfaces and seem to stick well on the carpet I have as well.

First impressions. Smooth as silk. I've had a lot of rudder pedals dating back to a couple pair of original RCS pedals and including some $1500 737 copies, but I've never had any pedals as smooth as these. The way Slaw designed them you feel no center detent. They swing through center without stopping or notching. The bearings seem to be top quality as well.

I use a modified Obutto, so my seating position is more flat. No problem with these rudders, slaw provides plenty (4) adjustment angles. Just remove four screws, including flat and lock washers, and choose your new angle.

Hooking them up, the PC recognized them right away. I opened the device control panel to watch the movement They clearly have higher resolution than any other pedals I have owned. Movement is silky smooth through the ranges and both rudder and brake movement appear to have just the right amount of spring pressure for my flying style.

I don't have time to fly much tonight ,but will report more as I try it out across what sims I have. Really looking forward to trying out helo flying again as these seem to be perfectly suited for fine control movements.

Well done Slaw! I highly recommend these pedals to anyone looking for a high end pair.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3960656 - 05/31/14 10:45 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
+1

I totally agree with Jskibo

In case anyone missed my review of my Slaw Pedals in the controller forum.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3887591/Slaw_Device_109_Pedals#Post3887591

#3964867 - 06/09/14 05:08 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
leadf00t Offline
leadf00t  Offline

Would love to buy a set of these.

I've sent you a couple of messages on Facebook now. Please let me know when I can buy them? smile

Cheers

#3966544 - 06/12/14 10:20 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
GADGET Offline
GADGET  Offline

Barcelona
Finally, yesterday I had the chance to use my new pedals for the first time and I foud them magnificent in constructiona and precission, but also I would like to suggest some changes for next tranche.

1) I find the springs too weak to simulate a propeller aircraft, in yaw as well as in braking. Yaw specially would benefit in switching the weakest spring for a stronger one, so users couls still use the actual strong one, the stronger, or both, being the latter option the most convenient one. Please consider that cettification forces of large aircraf nowadays can include rudder forces of up to 100 Pounds, being even grater in WW2 fighter aircraf at high speed. Think that pilots of some particular type of WW2 fighter aircraf could be recognized for the size of their thighs (specially the right one).

http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ar0747.pdf

Iwoud like to know how strong springs could I mount on my pedals without risking the integrity of the system.

2) The pivot point of the pedal in the brakes is too far. It should be in a position that would make pivoting the foot easy. This kind of pedal should have the pivot point at midfoot, but much closer to to the pilot. Actual action makes breaking really difficult if the position in the cockpit is similar to that of a real pilot, in opposition of the leg coming from above such in an office desk

These are three typical cockpit positions

With the actual pivot point...
...In the first case it is really unconfortable the braking action.
...In the second case it becomes really difficult.
...In the third case it it almost impossible.
I am using the case one at this moment and I do confess it is really inconvenient in the actual form. My next cockpit will be of the type two and I still will have to come out with something that would allow me to perform braking... mmmm
Maybe the solution passes by placing the pivot point at the base of the heel.

Again, the forces for braking are excesive weak, being normal 15-30 Kg of force for a propeller aircraft of the dimensions of a WW2 fighter, more if we consider that brakes at that time were very deficient.

http://www.groveaircraft.com/brakedesign.html

3) The height of the pedal iself from the cokpit floor is a bit too high. In a cockpit the base of the pedals should be embeded in the floor for a good fit and/or remove the base completely and bolt down the frame directly to the floor

Hope these observations could be constuctive, not a mere criticism.

Thank you

Last edited by GADGET; 06/12/14 05:15 PM.
#3966883 - 06/12/14 08:52 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Slaw Offline
Slaw  Offline

Poland
Hi/
1. I have not used a stronger spring in my pedals. But I am confident that the design will withstand such springs, which you need. But this will lead to a rapid deterioration of rubber dampers (metal construction will withstand real load). Not it would be difficult to make an exact copy of the pedals BF109. But their weight would be 3.5 times greater, respectively, more spending on materrial and shipment. It would have doubled the cost to the buyer.

2. Rotation axis of pedals almost like the original, the difference of a few millimeters. This is what I have done for pedal virtual pilot, who was not sitting in this plane. He sits as your first image.

3. I had no other pedals, so I did pedal for themselves (not a major amount, superior quality). Maybe that was my mistake. But if you have a low landing in the virtual cockpit, you can tilt the pedal as here.
Thank you for your opinion.
Regards.
Slaw Device.

#3967071 - 06/13/14 05:53 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I have mine set up in a pit similar to your option 2.
I have no issues using the toe brakes, they feel comfortable and the spring forces feel OK to me. The orientation of the toe brake axis is comfortable to me also, so much so that I use them as accelerator and brake when I have a venture into driving games.

For centring spring strength, I'd imagine they'd easily take a stronger spring if you wanted one.
Although IMO it doesn't need it. I have mine set up with the minimum spring tension, that makes it comfortable for me to use.

#3967509 - 06/13/14 10:04 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
GADGET Offline
GADGET  Offline

Barcelona
please correct the pivot point for next batch

#3967600 - 06/14/14 05:23 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
leadf00t Offline
leadf00t  Offline

Thanks Slaw,

Waiting patiently here smile

#3967743 - 06/14/14 02:53 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: GADGET]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Originally Posted By: GADGET

The Pivot point is fine. They are 109 replicas and need to remain a 109 replica, including the pivot point.

#3967760 - 06/14/14 03:48 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Brigstock]  
GADGET Offline
GADGET  Offline

Barcelona
Originally Posted By: Brigstock
Originally Posted By: GADGET

The Pivot point is fine. They are 109 replicas and need to remain a 109 replica, including the pivot point.

First of all, the pivot point is not as in the Bf.109 so it is not a replica.

Second, the actual position is not right bimechanically talking

#3967762 - 06/14/14 03:51 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
GADGET Offline
GADGET  Offline

Barcelona
Slaw,

Can the L brackets below the pedal feet be inverted, so the pivot point is lower?

#3967774 - 06/14/14 04:34 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Slaw Offline
Slaw  Offline

Poland
Yes

PS. And you will get a lower pedal height (your heels).

#3967822 - 06/14/14 06:50 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
GADGET Offline
GADGET  Offline

Barcelona
Yes

That is what I thought

Thank you

#3968084 - 06/15/14 10:27 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
The pedal setup outlined by Slaw is how I have my pedals set up. You can see from that image that the pivot point is the same as the 109 when compared to the image of the 109 pedal.
In Slaws image the L-Bracket isn't inverted, the incline is just steeper.
By inverting the pedal I don't think you'll lower the pivot point, you'll just loose the ability to adjust the pedal attitude.

The only way you'll move the pivot point to the bottom of the pedal (what you want if I read you right) is to fabricate a replacement L-Bracket.

#3968126 - 06/15/14 12:31 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
GADGET Offline
GADGET  Offline

Barcelona
Hi Brigstock

As you can see from the pictures and declarations from the same Slaw, the pivot point was changed a LITTLE BIT from the original Bf.109 (about 8 cm)

My configuration is identical to the one on the pictures too, so we can talk about the very same thing.

With the actual pivot point on this configuration, the foot not only has to turn to push in teh braking action but also has a small displacement. This movemente is more difficult to perform as the position of the body lowers, up to the point that it becomes impossible (almost) if you are seating at the same level as the pedal base.

If not convinced, try by yourself and tell...

My concern is only if this feature could be corrected in future production pedals, as I said. It is not pretended to be a destructive criticism.
And after seeing how Slaw designed an contructed the pedals, I am possitive that I called his attention... so objective complied.

On the other hand, I am in the process of designing a new cockpit, as the actual one is several years old. Next cockpit will be lower to facilitate entrance/exit and because I am getting older.
With this new egonomy it will be quite unconfortable to act over the brakes unless I find a solution I still have to come up with. Maybe I will replace some elements (it is easy and cheap) of the pedals or I might get some new pedlas. I still do not know as the design is still in its preliminaries.

I do confess that I am really spoiled when it comes to cockpits, as I had spent my last 11 working years in a cockpit that I recognize is one of the best designs in aviation, and I harly remenber the "hard" times spent in other aircrafts... but I also was younger.

For my new cockpit I want an EXCELENT design and nothing short of that (best ergonomics, rich wood, leather lateral panels, chromed steel panels, viscoelastic cushions, etc.), so you must understand that an INADECUATE biomechanical action on the pedals bothers me much. I am planing to retire in one or two years and this "baby" will be the place where I will spend many hours of joy (I hope).

#3968453 - 06/16/14 04:23 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Capt_Hook Offline
Capt_Hook  Offline

I understand your concern, but I'd imagine from the various pictures of Slaw's (and Crosswind) pedals in action that the vast majority of his customers use the pedals in the first of your cockpit depictions.. a regular 'desk' configuration, with Obutto et. al. consumer pits a close second. Creating pedals optimized for a recumbent pit would seem a bad move for something that's already the epitome of niche hardware.

The obvious answer, as already delivered by Slaw, would be to vertically mount the pedals. I, like probably the vast majority of Slaw owners absolutely adore the current design. I'm using an Obutto Revolution pit configured for near fully upright flying, but if I were to reconfigure for a recumbent position I'd just angle the pedals using the Rev's tiltable pedal base.

Simply moving each of the pedals angle adjustments from the first (lowest angle) to the last made the break pivot perfect for me.

Unless you spend several thousand for hydraulic damped pedals (Precision Flight Controls - $3700), you're not going to find anything even remotely comparable to Slaw's build quality and precision.

Hardware: Asus Sabertooth Z87 - Intel 4670K @ 4.4 - 16GB RAM - EVGA Titan - Old Asus 26" 19x12 LCD - bunch of drives.

Sim Toys: Warthog - 8cm Simpit Hog extension - TIR5 - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device rudder pedals - Obutto R3v
#3992837 - 08/08/14 09:01 PM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Slaw Offline
Slaw  Offline

Poland
Hi all.
I just want to show you the new electronics in my pedals. Thank you very much Komaroff and Red Baron. All my next pedals will be staffed this electronics.

That's the best I've seen. The controller is prepared for future improvements and includes some features that were not in the pedals so far.
Regards.
SlawDevice.

#3993388 - 08/10/14 07:55 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Flying_Colander Offline
Flying_Colander  Offline

What will the new electronics do? What new features will they support? Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Flying Colander

#3999262 - 08/22/14 10:57 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Slaw]  
Titus Offline
Titus  Offline

Hello everbody,

I have some questions about this rudder pedal (like Bf109F) and hope you all can help me.
Is the restoring force adjustable from the pedal?
I have the Saitek pro flight rudder pedals. Is the resistance comparable?
Any driver/software necessary?
And the most important question, what I have to do to get this rudder pedal (like Bf109F)?
I have read something about a list?! But I can't find them.

Regards Titus

PS: Sorry for my english.

Last edited by Titus; 08/22/14 12:52 PM.
#3999274 - 08/22/14 11:38 AM Re: Rudder Pedals ( like BF109F) [Re: Titus]  
tityus Offline
tityus  Offline

SP - Brazil
Although it's not an answer to your question, I hope it's easier to get one to where you live.

Here, in Brazil, customs and logistics made me keep using Saitek pedals - even when they are not as well constructed.

Good luck

té mais
tityus, who broke he's lurking state for your too close nickname.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.