Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3965823 - 06/10/14 10:39 PM I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Soon my family will be flying to Switzerland almost free using flying points as we've always done when flying somewhere. But starting next year it's going to get tougher to do.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/airline-miles-now-worth-only-feet-2013-11-14

all good things must come to an end

"United Airlines said Tuesday that beginning in March 2015 it will begin rewarding consumers based on how much they pay for tickets rather than how many miles they travel. It joins Delta DAL +0.12% , which made a similar move a few months back, that will also take effect in 2015. This could hurt passengers who fly longer distances for lower fares and could make round-trip tickets less rewarding.
Airlines are changing their frequent flier programs in other ways as well: American Airlines AAL -0.21% changed its rewards structure in April (for travel beginning in June) so that for about half the year it will increase its redemption rate to 30,000 miles, up from the previous 25,000 miles, and on the busiest days will charge 50,000 miles; however, during less busy times, it will lower the rate to 20,000 miles. And at the end of March, Southwest frequent fliers saw their points devalued by roughly 14"

if you have flying points built up you might want to use them soon !

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3965837 - 06/10/14 10:55 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Starting next year, maybe you won't want to travel so much.... wink
Or is that your plan, for retirement?

I hate to travel by commercial air. Airports are a nightmare.
'HATE' it. Unless it's a private plane, off a small airfield.

Don't mind driving.

"Murphy's Law"
#3965842 - 06/10/14 10:59 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
darn it Murphy why you gotta remind me what Im soon about the face
frown

but by 2015 I might be glad we used those points cause this looks like an all out assault coming on airline miles/points

#3965844 - 06/10/14 11:00 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Haggart
Southwest frequent fliers saw their points devalued by roughly 14"

Ahhh, look on the bright side. If you can afford the 14" devaluation your dating options may increase. eek

Geez...no wonder you always posted LARGE chick pics.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3965845 - 06/10/14 11:01 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Wireman Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Wireman  Offline
Lurker Extraordinaire
Hotshot

The First State, USA
Originally Posted By: Murphy

Don't mind driving.

Yep. Can't get me near an airliner on my days off. I have 24 passes that I haven't used.

#3965854 - 06/10/14 11:11 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I have a flight coming up and am not looking forward to the airport experience. I going to have to pay to do something that gives me no pleasure. I'd fly my own, but it is too far to meet the wife's work schedule. So I guess I'll start looking for flights in a couple days.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3965859 - 06/10/14 11:23 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Wireman]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Wireman
Originally Posted By: Murphy

Don't mind driving.

Yep. Can't get me near an airliner on my days off. I have 24 passes that I haven't used.

Well, if you feel like I do, 'YOU' have a problem Wireman.....lol.... wink

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
I have a flight coming up and am not looking forward to the airport experience. I going to have to pay to do something that gives me no pleasure. I'd fly my own, but it is too far to meet the wife's work schedule. So I guess I'll start looking for flights in a couple days.

And ANOTHER one.
A flier that hates it......lol.

Yep, I don't envy either of you guys, airports are like a 'very' bad traffic jam, but your standing next to the other driver! At least in a vehicle, you don't have to listen to them....and your 'moving'....a little, but your moving.

I wonder, does it 'taint' your private flying experience OG....or does it make you grateful?

"Murphy's Law"
#3965870 - 06/10/14 11:45 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard

Yeah....but. If you haven't flown a big bird since you learned to fly it's kinda cool. Watchin all the slats, flaps etc and feeling how it affects the airplane is a whole different ballgame now.

Plus if the guy prangs the landing a bit...

I always enjoy saying nice flight to the flight deck crew and thanks for the bouncing arrival ceremony. biggrin

They usually laugh.

Another time was in a SW 737 and watching the port engine oozing oil about an hour after takeoff! After about 10 minutes of watching quite a bit streaking across the nacelle I walked forward to tell a stew (the cutest naturally) that she might want to inform the Capt that the port engine is visibly leaking oil.

She says "How can you tell and who are you?

I just shook my head and told her, "just tell him please" and walked back to my seat, grabbed my laptop and moved way aft of that engine to an empty seat.

No thanks or acknowledgement, they just towed that bird away for the gate and replaced it after we landed.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3965888 - 06/11/14 12:42 AM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
December Offline
December  Offline

Originally Posted By: Haggart
Soon my family will be flying to Switzerland almost free using flying points as we've always done when flying somewhere. But starting next year it's going to get tougher to do.

How much do you pay?
I used my points for a flight back to the UK, I have to pay taxes and fuel surcharge which amount to about 50% of a regular ticket.

I don't think any sane person likes to travel by commercial airline, unless it's first class maybe.

#3965897 - 06/11/14 12:54 AM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Quote:
"I don't think any sane person likes to travel by commercial airline, unless it's first class maybe."

Not now. smile

But years ago, like in that commercial above,
Thread
It was 'fun' to fly.
People were friendly, things were well organized, relaxed, no security, nobody lost their luggage, no lines, they were actually waiting for you to walk up to the check in at the door, courteous stewardesses treated you like royalty, and they ALL were 9's and 10's.....it 'could' be enjoyable....it just isn't.

And, it cost so much more too. rolleyes

Change....I hate it.

But, that's the way the world turns, times change....I know.
wink Just don't have to like it.

"Murphy's Law"
#3965946 - 06/11/14 03:19 AM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Murphy ..."no security"

yep ...real steak knives in 1st class and cockpit door would be open or unlocked

December ...."I used my points for a flight back to the UK, I have to pay taxes and fuel surcharge which amount to about 50% of a regular ticket"

yikes!

For the four of us for a round trip ticket to Switzerland it cost us $50.00 each. We also used our United Mileage Plus card to book the trip so even checked baggage (we only have 1 checked bag) was free for the first checked bag. We don't even pay an annual fee on the card because we have had this card for over 20 years and they "grandfathered" us into the United miles program from the former Continental airlines program.

Our trip for four to Vancouver Island, Canada was almost free as well ..as well as our trip to Vermont/Maine and our Hawaii trip

#3966006 - 06/11/14 08:05 AM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Ah I remember them, frequent flyer miles, used to rake up a few having to fly between offices, the company always flew us business class so I had access to the first class lounge and all that entailed. Then they thought Easyjet/Ryan Air is cheaper so we were forbiden from flying on regular flights.

Most of my journeys were Glasgow to Heathrow and our head office was 5 minutes by taxi from the airport, so 08:00 flight from Glasgow, 09:00 in Heathrow and in the office at 09:15 at the latest, cost 130.

After the economy drive and Easyjet: Glasgow 06:00 and be there at 05:00 to get a good spot in the queue, fly to Luton land at 08:00 then train or catch a lift to London and in the office at around 11:00. My time was chargeable and the company either had to pay me for the out of hours or give me time off, so the cheaper 50 flight ended up costing the company hundreds of pounds and the loss of about 2 hours of work just to save 70 on the ticket, I could drive to the London office in about the same time it took to fly easyjet and then get to the office. I did it twice and then I got promoted and moved full time to head office smile

I flew British Midland Airways mostly and they gave you airmiles that could be used with Continental Airlines.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3966012 - 06/11/14 09:18 AM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
I don't think many people actually enjoy flying economy.

OTOH I have no problems with it. I am of medium height though so I often wonder how bigger people suffer through long flights.

What I like is that nowadays many airlines have excellent multimedia entertainment installed even in economy class. Really helps passing the time on long flights.

Though "get boozed and sleep" still works, too.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3966024 - 06/11/14 10:18 AM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

OTOH I have no problems with it. I am of medium height though so I often wonder how bigger people suffer through long flights.
yep

In Canada a few years ago, and had a change of schedual, the only flight I could get was on a flight with a company that Canada2000 had just taken over (Duke something?), man we were packed in like sardines, worst flight I have ever been on, I'm not tall at 5'8" but I could not get my knees between the seats.
Canada2000 went out of business in the aftermath of 9/11, I can remember seeing their aircraft lined up around Pearson International the next time I flew in to Toronto. The brother of a friend was a dispatch and routing co-ordinator with Canada2000 until after they folded.

Clan Cameron
#3966219 - 06/11/14 05:11 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I would say the airlines treat economy like cattle...except you want the cattle to be in good shape when it reaches its destination, and they don't care if the passengers are cramped, tired, frozen/sweating, or any of that. All that matters is how much they made.

Many airlines are renovating the cabins of older planes to put another row of seats in 6 more people = 6 more tickets. Then they're charging an arm and a leg for every bag you bring to the extent that you're almost better off shipping your luggage Fed Ex to your destination.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3966228 - 06/11/14 05:18 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

I'm 6"1 and my legs barely fit in the space behind the seat in front of me on any plane that I've flown economy/coach. I have no idea how taller people do it. They must all fly first class.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3966262 - 06/11/14 06:20 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Canada2000 was a charter outfit with Canada-Europe flights during the summer and Canada-Caribbean flights during the winter. I don't think they even HAD a business or 1st class- just coach throughout with minimum space between seats.

There's a great regional airline based in Toronto called Porter Airlines which is just phenomenal.

It flies out of the Centre Island airport (Billy Bishop) which is just off-shore from downtown Toronto (basically like Meigs used to be in relation to Chicago. Because the airport is small the lineups are not a big deal and the staff are polite and efficient.
The airline is privately owned (though they considered an IPO two years ago, so that may change) and the management has really focused on the small details... which mainly means that they don't nickel and dime their passengers to death: free coffee, fruit juice, snacks etc. in a nicely appointed lounge with free newspapers and multiple computer terminals, free booze on the flight. The flight crew are young, attractive and actually seem to enjoy their jobs (as opposed to those snarlers on Air Canada), their outfits even make a nod to the 1960's flight experience with cute pill-box hats.

Honestly, I can't rave enough about Porter! I hope more airlines follow its lead or that it has so much success it starts gobbling up their market share.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3966284 - 06/11/14 06:49 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Cold_Gambler]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Cold_Gambler

Honestly, I can't rave enough about Porter! I hope more airlines follow its lead or that it has so much success it starts gobbling up their market share.

That can be a good or bad thing. Many times a niche business loses focus from its original mission and philosophy when they become too successful and thus too large.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3966402 - 06/11/14 10:35 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Cold_Gambler]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Cold_Gambler
Canada2000 was a charter outfit with Canada-Europe flights during the summer and Canada-Caribbean flights during the winter. I don't think they even HAD a business or 1st class- just coach throughout with minimum space between seats.

Never said they did have 1st/business class. the company they took over was way worse than them for packing in the rows of seats. I had just enough space with Canada 2000 but this other company I could not get my legs straight in front of me the spacing was so tight.

On my first visit to Toronto I had the penthouse in the Crowne Plazza overlooking Lake Ontario and could see the aircraft taking off and landing at the island airport.

Again it was due to frequent stay rewards with Holiday Inn that got me the suite in the Crowne Plazza for a week I just booked an ordinary room and they upgraded me on my arrival without me asking for it. A fantastic time was had, and the trip up the Niagara on the jet boats was spectacular smile

Clan Cameron
#3966411 - 06/11/14 11:12 PM Re: I've Been Flying For Free On My Airline for the Past 20 years But Its About To Change [Re: Haggart]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

I find economy perfectly comfortable. It helps that I'm sub 120lbs and 5'5"... wouldn't want to try at say 200lbs and 6'5".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.