Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 442 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 441 442
#3964359 - 06/07/14 09:03 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules ***** [Re: Olham]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
Augustus Mueller FA5 Lb 1st Mission

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#3964376 - 06/07/14 09:40 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Sgt. Artemus Burroughs of 15 RFC was assigned a rail yard attack this AM that proved successful. But the brass hats decided it was not successful enough and sent B Flight out again this afternoon to hit the same rail yard, (the Bapaume spur located west of the city on the edge of the mud). Artemus had no luck getting an egg on the target in either outing and his gunner/obs, Captain Jeffrey Knight, had equally poor aim when it came to shooting at the five Eindeckers that bounced them as they were over the depot during the afternoon sortie. On the bright side, Sgt. Burroughs tossed his bus around in the sky with such aplomb that the Huns weren't able to get a shot on them either. Everyone made it home so it's off to the mess for a nibble and a slosh, then early to bed for a good bit a kip. Tomorrow's adventures will come soon enough no doubt.

Good luck everyone on your DID campaigns. They are going to be brutal, I fear.

cheers

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#3964383 - 06/07/14 10:11 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
June 7, 1916

After joining RFC 23, I was assigned to a flight of F.E.2bs on a patrol behind the front lines.

Everything went fine: Our flight of four began heading north, while another flight of three trailed behind. I made conversation with my observer, Captain Scudsworth, since otherwise I'd just be sitting there trying to pilot while staring at his head.

Suddenly a Fokker E.III swooped out of NOWHERE on top of A flight. He must have been in the clouds. My lead didn't react. A flight's lead didn't react! He just dove in, snapped up one of our F.E.2bs, and seemed to leave.

On the return leg he returned, nibbled on 'A' flight a little then began a determined push to catch us. Still my lead didn't react. I didn't want to chance fighting this guy, so broke formation and began climbing away...which turned out to be a mistake, as Herr Fokker found that very interesting.

Still, I was doing a fair job keeping ahead of him until I noticed a plane heading towards me from the front: A Roland C.II. Pretty soon he was trying to figure out how to get a shot on me, I turned to defeat his gun resolution and here comes the Fokker.

I broke into a dive to try and get away, but one of them got a good solid burst into my tail. Nothing major hit, just enough to convince me it was time to land. I began a downwards spiral, not dissimilar to a normal landing, and the tight turns seems to defeat them. As we drifted downwards I saw a whole squad of birds ahead fighting...somebody. More Rolands. No, I definitely didn't want to join that party.

I landed hard: Afraid of fences, I made a sharp last second turn and hit wing first. Fortunately I got my wheels under me and skidded to a stop. Still alive, still uninjured, still free. Not bad.

#3964391 - 06/07/14 10:31 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
Good luck everyone on your DID campaigns. They are going to be brutal, I fear.

Thanks, Lou - you can say that again!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3964417 - 06/07/14 11:40 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven

Liebe Vati, Cher Maman, June 7th
Somewhere in Flanders

It's a long way from Lothringen to Belgium, but here I am. I arrived at the aerodrome 3 days ago. The chaps are first rate. Gave me an outstanding welcome. Well, except for the old hands. They seem to keep their distance from us new chaps. Anyway, I've got my own bedroom in town. Quite cosy! It's clean and the bed is soft. What more could a soldier ask for?

We were up early this morning. The boss must have been impressed with me (or more likely my name. Thank you Herr General Vati!) because he told me to lead a recon patrol. Imagine that! Me leading 3 others on my very first patrol! Right after breakfast the boss showed me where to go on the map, and told me to keep my eyes peeled. Apparently there are rumors that the English are up to something. Now, before you start worrying Maman, let me say that absolutely nothing happened during the patrol. No sign of any offensive here. Just some archie, and we saw two or three English planes parked at an aerodrome far below. Round and round we went. I was, frankly, a bit bored, but my observer was busy! He was forever scribbling in his notebook. I think he even counted the cows in the fields below!

I've got to go. It's time for dinner, and there might be another patrol in the evening. I hope everything is well at home. Give my love to Reinhardt and little Louise. I hope you have enough to eat.

PS.
Please send me a new pipe, and my Goethe. There is a surprising amount of spare time here!

PPS.
Here is a picture of my aeroplane.

One of my squadron mates took it this morning, on patrol. We have our own darkroom and everything here (for pictures of the front line, normally) so we developed it as soon as we came home. Quite nice, don't you think? Perhaps it could be a post card someday?

Olham, i used my login name, samba_liten, when i submitted my report. Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.

Last edited by Fred; 06/07/14 11:41 PM.

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#3964448 - 06/08/14 12:41 AM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

#3964456 - 06/08/14 12:58 AM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Albert Andrews completed his 1st flight. Got jumped by EIII's over patrol area. Observer sent one down smoking as I dove out to head back as we were getting hammered. Got shed of the last one trying to bring us down and climbed back up and found one of my flight which formed up on me. We headed back to Abeele and landed safely. Our flight leader and his observer were badly wounded.

Olham, this is fun!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#3964503 - 06/08/14 04:12 AM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
My first mission is a Railyard Attack, and I'm leading a flight of 2. I used TAC to choose targets and my mate made a perfect hit destroying 3 ground units. My bombs overshot everything.
Btw, is there a bombsight in BE2? I guess no

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3964518 - 06/08/14 07:36 AM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
1. Added a few new members to the 'drop down list' so you won't have to say 'Other'
2. hours at easy/medium/hard sectors removed as it is too difficult to keep track of ...
3. 'Wounded' added to Pilot Active list
4. If pilot dies, questions added about how he bought the farm and optional text comment

ID's in list now are:

1. What is your WOFF id?
(Select only one.)
[ ] ArisFuser
[ ] Beanie
[ ] Carrick58
[ ] CatKnight
[ ] JFM
[ ] Jim Attrill
[ ] Kaische
[ ] Leaf85
[ ] lederhosen
[ ] Maeran
[ ] MFair
[ ] MrDirt
[ ] Olham
[ ] Raf_Louvert
[ ] Rick_Rawlings
[ ] samba_liten
[ ] Shiloh
[ ] theultimat
[ ] Other:

I have received a few responses already smile I must say I have not come across samba_liten before.

Because of the changes, I would request that you all fill in the form again this Sunday evening and then I can produce the results some time tomorrow. Remember that I am on -2 hrs GMT here in SA.

I am using the existing data to work out how to easily produce the results. Won't be difficult in Excel.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#3964550 - 06/08/14 11:04 AM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: samba_liten]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Fred
Olham, i used my login name, samba_liten, when i submitted my report.
Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.

Fred, it does, as you can see in Jim_Attrill's post (he collects the reports from everyone).
Please everybody - enlist with your forum name.

Fred, I liked the idea, that your pilot is an Alsacian, with a French mother even -
and he has still to fight for Germany.
I wonder how he felt - I know the people from Alsace find it hard to decide if they feel
they are French or German; too often were they pushed and pulled from one to the other country.

Jim_Attril, can you change the name "Samba_lite" into "Fred"?
And could you send me the collected records tomorrow midday or afternoon?
I will make the first graphic chart then.

So we got started, and it went good, it seems.
Most flyers seem to have been more lucky than my comrade Jimfred (JFM) or myself were in Kasta 8.
We had a very nasty start; his 8 minutes, and my 38 mins must be a low-end record.
We both even got wounded and have to be in hospital for some days.
It can only get better (or so I hope...)

#3964569 - 06/08/14 01:10 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

First mission smile

I was feeling a little nervous to find muyself flying an Aviatik,...for the first time!

#3964572 - 06/08/14 01:36 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

How is the handling of that craft? I never tried it out yet.
Nice picture of the Aviatik!

#3964573 - 06/08/14 01:44 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
Second Mission is over.
Artillery Spotting area of Fleurbaix South West of Armentieres. Was forced to land by some very unfriendly DH2's! The other aircraft failed to return, reported shot down - destroyed South West of Lille.

Last edited by Beanie; 06/08/14 01:48 PM.

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#3964574 - 06/08/14 01:46 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Hard to handle wink Loses lots of speed in turns and needs careful landing planning. I really liked to flying it for something different.

#3964575 - 06/08/14 01:54 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Nice tableau, Beanie!
Next time I must check those "additional notes" too.
Seems the "Ente" ("duck" in German; for "Entente") really deplumed many of us!

Aris, I guess you need to fly rather high to be safe in the Aviatik?

#3964599 - 06/08/14 02:34 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
Actually, don't change it. I applied to change my display name on the forums instead. I go by samba_liten practically all over the internet, so why have it be different here?

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. behindcouch

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.
#3964624 - 06/08/14 04:32 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

upload image

8 Jun 16
Recon Flight of 3 Be,s.

Bit of bad luck, Blew the Oil Filter ( too much pressure ? ) a clank and a lot of smoke. No roads in sight , so sat it down in a church field. Still rolling I spotted the Fence too late . My gunner is ok,but the medics want us to stay down till the 12 th.

print screen windows xp

#3964640 - 06/08/14 05:14 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: samba_liten]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: samba_liten
Anyway, sorry for the confusion. behindcouch

Hey, that must be a new Smiley?! Great!

Hey, Carrick, nice to see you in the air too!

#3964664 - 06/08/14 06:20 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: Olham]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Olham, I am trying to fill the report and everything goes OK until I get to the last screen, the application asks me to fill the information about the way my pilot died even if I clearly state in the previous page that my pilot is alive,... if I leave it blank the application returns an error ( in fact asks me to write some information abouy my dead pilot). Any ideas?

Last edited by ArisFuser; 06/08/14 06:22 PM.
#3964672 - 06/08/14 06:39 PM Re: The DiD Campaign Revival - Intro and Rules [Re: ArisFuser]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Originally Posted By: ArisFuser
Hard to handle wink Loses lots of speed in turns and needs careful landing planning. I really liked to flying it for something different.

Not talking about forward visibility with the observer in front. I finished my first two seater career in a fence !

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
Page 8 of 442 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM