Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3961462 - 06/02/14 11:54 AM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Sim
http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=123482

IL2:BOS campaign will tell you the story of Battle of Stalingrad from November 19th 1942 till February 2nd 1943. The whole period is split into operations (phases of the battle). Each phase has a realistic template on how ground troops and airfields were positioned. We did our best to be as precise as possible in this and all templates are based on historically correct data and real maps. We divided the battle into several key parts: Uranus, Little Saturn, Aerial Bridge, Winter Thunder and so on.

Speculation: the limitations of the BoS engine (I am guessing they need to limit the game to a snowy few months to avoid the GPU load of having to draw a non snowy landscape) means they have to limit the time period of the game/campaign to just a few weeks of winter.

And this has a cost, which people are seeing, which is that there are only so many missions possible within such a short span of time (about 70 days!), if you followed a single career/pilot. How many career missions could a pilot realistically have flown, how many promotions or medals could they have won, in just 70 days? They would be very short campaigns, and people would then be complaining about the length of the careers, or the unrealistic nature of promotions.

Opening the campaign up to allow any plane/any airfield, makes the game seem bigger/longer/deeper, but at the cost of career style immersion.

Quote:
Meanwhile the player is not limited with anything and the playable character is impersonalized. Each player is going to have their own virtual life and singular, specific experience and emotions. You'll be free to pick any plane, any airfield and any mission that is available at that moment. And this unique experience of yours will build your personal campaign.

Missions are not connected with each other. There's sort of a "groundhog day" within each single phase. Time of a day, weather conditions (within a list of historically correct ones for each period) will vary every time you start the mission. And you play this or that phase as many times as you want. Several successfully completed missions open access to the next phase leaving the completed one available for replay at any time. This is akin to sand-box style gaming.

Having accepted the limitations of the engine already (if I am right that it is limited to winter for now, for a technical reason), I am actually OK with this, though it doesn't seem much different to me to the already existing quick mission generator. Sort of a random quick mission generator with different levels you need to qualify for by flying a few successful missions first. A kind of 'evolved' random mission generator.

Quote:
Players who are looking for precise reconstruction of particular historical events will have community created missions to satisfy their demands.

Actually, unless the FMB is dramatically reworked, the experience of RoF indicates this is not likely to happen, certainly to the extent that user content is created for earlier IL2 series games with a much more user friendly FMB. So, I'm not getting my hopes up over that. Especially because of what is said below!

Quote:

When will we have the full mission editor?

This will come after game release. Only those who we have worked with before will have a chance to get their hands on the editor during early access. The editor is too complex. It has reached functionality, but it’s too hard to learn to use it. Loft is sure that 95% of players don’t need it at all. The remaining 5% are actually capable of making something worthy. We’ll contact these 5% later, and I hope that some of them may offer the community their own user missions by the game release.

OK, the community of 5% of people smart enough to use the FMB might create some historical content to be available at launch. Others will have to wait to use the 'too complex' FMB after launch. Bottom line, a lot of barriers for user created or 3rd party created content.

All that aside, I am actually feeling better than I expected about this announcement. I guess it is just a matter of low expectations!

I had already resigned myself to flying a great selection of aircraft, over a small snowy map, for a couple of short wintry months, and this actually seems like a quite logical, even creative way of dealing with those restrictions. With the number and variety of aircraft which will be available at launch, it can still be a compelling game even for offliners.

But I can understand if one had his/her heart set on long immersive careers, there would be disappointment.

H

[Linked Image]
#3961471 - 06/02/14 12:08 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: HeinKill]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: HeinKill

Speculation: the limitations of the BoS engine (I am guessing they need to limit the game to a snowy few months to avoid the GPU load of having to draw a non snowy landscape) means they have to limit the time period of the game/campaign to just a few weeks of winter.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Why should a summer/autumn terrain have a significant higher workload on the GPU? It certainly doesn't seem this way in RoF. And the BoS engine seems already very well optimized, providing good performance with stunning visuals. The main reason for only one type of seasonal terrain is much more probably the limited resources of the development team.

And this has a cost, which people are seeing, which is that there are only so many missions possible within such a short span of time (about 70 days!), if you followed a single career/pilot. How many career missions could a pilot realistically have flown, how many promotions or medals could they have won, in just 70 days? They would be very short campaigns, and people would then be complaining about the length of the careers, or the unrealistic nature of promotions.

I don't really see a big problem with the time period chosen for the campaign. It wasn't unusual for pilots on the Eastern front to fly more than one sortie a day so even with a couple of days of snowstorms that would more or less completely cancel flight operations you could easily have some 50-100 mission campaigns. Which IMO would be more than enough.

I don't see people complaining that the Battle of Britain only lastes ~ 3 months. wink

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3961505 - 06/02/14 01:31 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
@PB

As I said, totally just my speculation, based on having never seen a non winter screenshot of the terrain with a lot of objects/trees/roads/traffic etc on it. And placing a lot more trees, foliage, grass and objects on a map often creates a big GPU hit. The current BoS map avoids all of that by having to model very little in the way of elevation, no moving or dynamic water, and covering all that ground detail in a thick blanket of snow. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a very nice way of prioritising, allowing the dev team to focus on the aircraft and gameplay, rather than redesigning the RoF landscape rendering routines - isn't the RoF engine known to struggle with larger numbers of aircraft/objects?

The aggressive timeline of the project implies to me they would need to prioritise, and extensive development of the existing RoF landscape engine hasn't seemed to be a priority, unless I'm wrong (often am!). And you have to admit, that flat white landscape has to be pretty easy on the GPU.

You are totally right, BoB was only a few months, and it lends itself to great campaigns. I suppose 70 days is OK for a campaign, but I would imagine most people are/were hoping for something like the RoF career mode which covered 700 days, not 70. Though, after all, the game is called Battle of Stalingrad, not Battle of the Eastern Front, so again, it seems people had higher expectations than the reality can bear!

H

[Linked Image]
#3961509 - 06/02/14 01:36 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: HeinKill]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
[quote=Sim]http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=123482

Not the case at all.
Remember, BOS is based on the RoF engine.

#3961559 - 06/02/14 03:47 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I also would think they're planning on adding to the basic framework after release, so the campaign/career system we have at launch is not all we'll have 2 years later.

This schedule was compressed, and possible largely because of building on what ROF already had...but remember the restrictions ROF itself must deal with as a result of its initial design being for an always-online MMO-type sim.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3961593 - 06/02/14 05:18 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Jedi Master]  
Desode Offline
Ps3 & 360 GT : DESODE
Desode  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I also would think they're planning on adding to the basic framework after release, so the campaign/career system we have at launch is not all we'll have 2 years later.

This schedule was compressed, and possible largely because of building on what ROF already had...but remember the restrictions ROF itself must deal with as a result of its initial design being for an always-online MMO-type sim.

The Jedi Master

I would like to believe this BUT this is not a strictly 777 Studio project.
We all have to remember that and 1C can be a Horrible publisher at times.
They have the license for Il2 and they will have the final say on a LOT that happens in the future of this title.

With that said we can't compare BOS to ROF in the aspect that 777 has full reign over the project and it's future.
SADLY,, they don't !

This is a huge concern of mine with BOS,, I can't go and say 777 is completely in charge like I could say with ROF.

For me personally,,777 studio's reputation speaks for itself, but that is when they have full control over their project and they don't have that this time around.

1C Only cares about Money and nothing else, that is the name of the game for them.
Beyond the original Il2, I have not seen any true care from them for a gaming community,, they are a "Publisher" who sadly owns the rights to the name Il2.

Desode

Forumrunners.com When you crave teamwork at the Highest Level ! Were waiting for you !

#3961785 - 06/02/14 11:35 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Para_Bellum]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

I don't see people complaining that the Battle of Britain only lastes ~ 3 months. wink

3 months??? I've been fighting that battle in various sims for 14 years...and I haven't done England proud..

#3961853 - 06/03/14 03:48 AM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: piper]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted By: piper

3 months??? I've been fighting that battle in various sims for 14 years...and I haven't done England proud..

charge

Keep at 'em Piper ! They are down to the last fifty Messerschmitts wink

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3961993 - 06/03/14 12:36 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

It wouldn't worry me too much if we had a good COOP system, my all time best online flying was in VEF flying medium sized COOP's.

With everyone knowing a large part of the success of IL2 was player made COOP's run through HL, i still don't know why it wasn't very high on the list of must have's for BOS.

#3962014 - 06/03/14 12:59 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
I miss the IL2, Hyperlobby CoOp days.
I hosted a lot of missions in those days.

Last edited by Gambit21; 06/03/14 01:00 PM.
#3962089 - 06/03/14 03:26 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Yeah, I've done plenty of coop missions in the original IL2, too.

I have very little interest in "air quake" style dogfight servers.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3962197 - 06/03/14 07:07 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

2014 and can't even get a decent campaign.

I've heard all the excuses. They may even be valid. But it still sucks.

I hadn't bought BOS yet precisely because I expected this.

Last edited by bonchie; 06/03/14 07:08 PM.
#3962242 - 06/03/14 07:51 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
It wouldn't worry me too much if we had a good COOP system, my all time best online flying was in VEF flying medium sized COOP's.

With everyone knowing a large part of the success of IL2 was player made COOP's run through HL, i still don't know why it wasn't very high on the list of must have's for BOS.

Agreed completely, the online wars were by a MILE the most enjoyable sim flying I've ever done. Hoping there's enough interest to get that kind of setup working with BoS.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#3962251 - 06/03/14 08:13 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: piper]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: piper

thumbsup

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#3962571 - 06/04/14 12:23 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: bonchie]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: bonchie
2014 and can't even get a decent campaign.

I've heard all the excuses. They may even be valid. But it still sucks.

I hadn't bought BOS yet precisely because I expected this.

Actually, I'd say the odds of getting an excellent campaign in an initial release are lower today than ever before, and will continue to get lower as time goes on.

The only hope is the product is popular enough and makes money long enough to warrant them devoting the resources to developing a bigger campaign.

To expect cutting-edge graphics (and from the comments I've seen here, people do), top-end flight and damage modeling, reliable network comms for MP, good AI for SP/MP, multiple theaters/maps (ONLY winter??!?), numerous flyable aircraft, a user-friendly mission builder, templates for skin making, AND comprehensive campaigns on release for even $100??

Would you like a copy of Windows with that?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3962576 - 06/04/14 12:28 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Yeah, but honestly I've found this news disheartening too... This sort of campaign, for me, is a definitive dealbreaker.

I'm happy others find themselves fine. It shows they got at least part of the users right.
I've been happy enough with a copy-pasta (so to speak) of the RoF campaign, but like this...

Still the work they did with the rest of the sim is nothing short of breathtaking.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3962613 - 06/04/14 01:25 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Sim]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I think too many people are confusing "on release" with "all that will ever be."

ROF didn't have that campaign on release. It didn't have anything but the Western Front as a map on release. It had TWO flyable planes on release. Look where it is now.

I can't discount the concerns over 1C's involvement, that is valid, but I suspect 777 didn't walk into this without some contractual assurances that should mitigate some of that.

The Jedi Master

#3962679 - 06/04/14 03:19 PM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: komemiute]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted By: komemiute
Yeah, but honestly I've found this news disheartening too... This sort of campaign, for me, is a definitive dealbreaker.

I'm happy others find themselves fine. It shows they got at least part of the users right.
I've been happy enough with a copy-pasta (so to speak) of the RoF campaign, but like this...

Still the work they did with the rest of the sim is nothing short of breathtaking.

It's your decision, your money, so nobody can tell you what you should do.
However, IMO this is throwing the baby out the with bathwater. The sim is already in excellent shape,
and will only get better with time.

I want the excellent single player campaign as well.

Last edited by Gambit21; 06/04/14 03:19 PM.
#3963037 - 06/05/14 05:13 AM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Jedi Master]  
Desode Offline
Desode  Offline

I think too many people are confusing "on release" with "all that will ever be."

ROF didn't have that campaign on release. It didn't have anything but the Western Front as a map on release. It had TWO flyable planes on release. Look where it is now.

I can't discount the concerns over 1C's involvement, that is valid, but I suspect 777 didn't walk into this without some contractual assurances that should mitigate some of that.

The Jedi Master

Jedi, I have my Fingers Crossed,, and I want to and DO believe that Jason and 777 studios have their rear ends covered on this one as best they could do.

Reguardless of anything that happens, Jason and 777 have my support.
I would just HATE to see them get some sort of blame from 1C pulling some underhanded stuff with BOS.

Gaijin took a beating in their dealings with 1C and I was there from the beginning on that "Il2 " project on console.
I'll tell you this 1C hung Gaijin and the fans out to Dry ! It was Very Ugly !
A credit to Gaijin was that they actually paid for what updates they could afford out of their OWN pocket , simply out of love for the community.

FINGERS CROSSED for 777 on this one.

MOST Sincerely , Desode

Forumrunners.com When you crave teamwork at the Highest Level ! Were waiting for you !

#3963064 - 06/05/14 09:32 AM Re: Dev Update 66 [Re: Jedi Master]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California

Very true. yep

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.