Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3961432 - 06/02/14 10:16 AM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: No Name]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
guys, please...stop. buying. alphas.

On the other hand, many people are happy to pay for beta/early access. I'm certainly happy I did for Assetto Corsa. If developers didn't use this business model the only way they could get the necessary investment would be with the involvement of a publisher and the disadvantages of that are all obvious enough.

Between complaining about paid betas and constant whinging about the likes of EA, Ubi etc. it's sometimes difficult to imagine how people think the industry should work.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3961454 - 06/02/14 11:38 AM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: No Name]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
guys, please...stop. buying. alphas.

That's kind-of people's own decision.

#3961510 - 06/02/14 01:36 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: Sethos88]  
kail Offline
kail  Offline

watched a guy playing for a bit. He finally said he's stopping until it gets farther along. While he said he liked it, there were too many bugs and glitches for him to continue.

#3961511 - 06/02/14 01:40 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Personally I'm quite enjoying The Hunter just now, a walk in the forest followed by a trampling by a Moose, what's not to like wink

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3961516 - 06/02/14 01:50 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: Alicatt]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Personally I'm quite enjoying The Hunter just now, a walk in the forest followed by a trampling by a Moose, what's not to like wink

We have Moose in our forest at times, they are in fact....more dangerous than black bears.
I mean, IRL.
DO NOT screw around with a Moose!!

The only 'more dangerous' animal in the forest, in North America, is a 'brown bear' Grizzly.
I've never seen one IRL....and have no desire to.

"Murphy's Law"
#3961517 - 06/02/14 01:52 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: kail]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: kail
watched a guy playing for a bit. He finally said he's stopping until it gets farther along. While he said he liked it, there were too many bugs and glitches for him to continue.

My reason for not going out right now.....too many bugs, this time of the year... biggrin .
Should clear up, by the end of June wink

"Murphy's Law"
#3961521 - 06/02/14 01:59 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: Murphy]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: Murphy
Originally Posted By: kail

My reason for not going out right now.....too many bugs, this time of the year... biggrin .
Should clear up, by the end of June wink

Boo, I'll get your coat :P

#3961529 - 06/02/14 02:31 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Well Sethos, you've obviously never been in a northern Michigan forest in spring, before the 'good' bugs come out, before the birds have done their job, and just after the first mosquito and black fly hatchings.
You'd be dead by morning, if you went outside. These things 'eat' insect repellant. One has to learn to live in, and with, the environment here, or perish. When people get lost, they very seldom live till morning. We find them dead of 'exposure', at least hospitalized.

It's friendly, most times....now is 'NOT' one of them. wink
The mosquito's alone, would cover you within 60 seconds, I mean 'cover' you.
The Tiger Mosquito will bite right through your cloths.
I live here, I know when to enjoy it, and when to hide from it wink
You bend with the wind, or snap.

"Murphy's Law"
#3961558 - 06/02/14 03:44 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm very tempted by this.The gameplay video on Steam alone had my finger quivering over the 'buy' button. Then I remembered 'Sir,You Are Being Hunted' I bought on early access and I came to my senses.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3961609 - 06/02/14 05:48 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Try the 'demo' Chucky...

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3961632 - 06/02/14 06:21 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Could do but I think I may buy it anyway,it's pretty cheap right now.

#3961638 - 06/02/14 06:29 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: Alicatt]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Originally Posted By: Murphy
I've posted these before, but that's me putting up the food for the birds, and that's the bear taking it down...as you can see, his head is taller than I am. Yep, I carry a weapon when I go for walks..... wink

After I had seen your pics Murphy I thought of you when I seen this posted on facebook....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/31/bear-in-a-hammock-daytona-beach_n_5424012.html

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3961643 - 06/02/14 06:36 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: Chucky]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: Chucky
Could do but I think I may buy it anyway,it's pretty cheap right now.

Just be careful purchasing now. I have ben watching a walkthrough and the save game feature is broken so you can't save

It may have been fixed by now but trying to find out if it is or not.

The game will be useless to you if there is no saves as the guy doing the walkthrough could not build anything as it takes a while to build and all gets discarded and start from scratch.

But the game looks interesting.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 06/02/14 06:36 PM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3961648 - 06/02/14 06:40 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Santhonax Offline
Santhonax  Offline

Temporarily relocated to Brita...
I went ahead and took the plunge (what the hell, it's like $15). A very short review:

-Visuals are fantastic. I'm always a content over visuals guy, but it does look awful nice (and a fair amount of content in there as well).

-Atmosphere is quite immersive. Yeah, komodo dragon-looking things climbing up trees looks odd, but not terribly off-putting. Reminds you that it isn't supposed to be a Colorado forest. Your ability to chop down ferns, chop down trees in a relatively realistic fashion, and other small tweaks to tidy up the sight-lines around your camp are great.

-Not sure where all of the "zombie" references are coming from. I personally hate almost all zombie games, and the enemies on this certainly don't remind me of them at all. Think more of a cross between cannibal natives and aliens, but more on the natives side. The A.I. on this thing is really quite intriguing. Supposedly each group of natives has their own "personality", though I can't say if this is true or not as of yet. What I can say is that I have been freaked out by noticing a group of 3 natives stalking me from a distance, only to charge them and have them run away once I got close (scouts). Had another group that had two members attempting to hide, while the third member came sprinting at me while I was carrying a log before touching my character and running off whooping (think Counting Coup). Others will simply walk forward and make some sort of display (or stare at you, which is creepy) while their allies run around the flank to take you off guard. You certainly have a few all-out aggressive runners, but nothing that screams "zombie" by any means. I cannot say whether all of the behaviours are implemented or not yet, but this is probably my favourite part of the game so far.

-Surprisingly not terribly bloody (key word: blood), but plenty of dismemberment/corpse use. Keep the kiddies in bed.

-Combat right now is kind of meh. Your swings have weight to them, but it seems to take forever to kill off baddies, and really only swinging back and forth for now. Supposedly this is just a placeholder. Not bad, but nothing stellar.

-Currently cannot save your game (supposed to be fixed today or tomorrow) and a number of glitches/bugs, though no CTDs or graphical errors for me currently. Definitely needs some more time to fill-out content wise, but this is probably the best Alpha build of any game I've played to date.

Ebola for you!
#3961654 - 06/02/14 06:46 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I have watched videos on YT,read the forums and I just bought it.It's £10.99,I spent more on my lunch today.

#3961713 - 06/02/14 08:57 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Yeah lots of bugs and the wrong kind are no fun. We occasionally get horse/dear flies that like to land on you when you're in the pool or outside and those things hurt! One of my first and only times hunting with my grandfather he set me up outside one summer morning. I was covered from head to toe with a mosquito net over my head and tucked into my jacket. The mosquitos were so many and so bad that the sound alone from them made me want to take my rifle and put a bullet in my head.

Once we were in Santa Fe New Mexico visiting and old mission and ran into an area of standing water and brush where we got the living hell chewed out of us by mosquitos.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3961715 - 06/02/14 09:02 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: Chucky]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Chucky
I have watched videos on YT,read the forums and I just bought it.It's £10.99,I spent more on my lunch today.

You had a better lunch than me then wink

It's on my watch list, thanks for posting about it.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3961726 - 06/02/14 09:28 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
@Alicatt....Yeah, that's a Grizzly. Not my, 'kind - gentle' black bears..... smile
Thankfully, we don't have those....and you don't get rid of them, they swim, eat feeders and pretty much do what ever they want, wink where ever they want.

They...'own' the forest, just not mine.

I'd move.
-----------------------

@SkateZilla...Yep, black bear, and a small little guy too. Like my little 'white diamond' chested one. They normally run when they see you. 'Normally'. Just don't get between the mom and her cub. Or pizz one off.
Good story on that link... smile

"Murphy's Law"
#3961746 - 06/02/14 10:16 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I've so far put in about an hours play and come across some nasty bugs,but then it's an alpha and would expect such things.

I went to the beach and saw a derelict yacht and decided to swim out to it.I was spotted by the islands inhabitants who chased me into the sea. I made it onto the yacht and luckily they wouldn't climb up onto it,however they were running around under water going frantic trying to get to me.You can also see seagulls sitting in the sky or standing under water too.Some work needed there then.

It does have potential however.On another game start I stayed near the crash site and started building a basic shelter but I took too long and it started to get dark.Then I heard noises and could see lights twinkling through the forest getting closer and closer.I only needed 1 log to complete my shelter but I was too exhausted to chop down another tree and I also panicked.It got very tense and even though I hid they found me and beat me to death.

The crafting system looks nicely done although I can't compare it to other games such as Rust as I have never played it.You open a survival book,find what you want to build,select it and place it where you want.You get an outline of the structure that details what you need to collect to build it.I didn't see an option to free build a structure,at least not at this early stage.

It's about 2 weeks away from public alpha release 0.02 so hopefully they will stomp out some of the bugs.

#3961755 - 06/02/14 10:31 PM Re: The Forest alpha released. [Re: KHMatt]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I'd like to get this but will wait for perhaps some updates. That other Dino Stomping Grounds game looked interesting until I saw the graphics and animation and heard positive user reviews that highlighted the ability to capture and enslave other players and feed them dino meat. What fun is in a game like that where another player can capture you and make you a slave? Doesn't that mean game over for that player or do they just go along with it because there's nothing better to do?

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.