Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3960975 - 06/01/14 02:39 AM Re: Hello all, Apache guy here [Re: Nightmare515]  
icuucme37 Offline
icuucme37  Offline

Oklahoma City
Welcome....... All I can said is what a resume. Put in for a inter-service transfer in 5 years to train to become a A-10 driver (if still in service) and you most likely be the only person around that has been trained to kill armour with all major weapons system.....

I use to cuss you dang tankers just about daily while I was in basic training a Ft. Knox.. (1985) My barracks where right next to the road you took every morning at 4 am when you where leaving the barn headed to the gunner ranges.....

If you don't like me, You can do one, of two things, deal with it, or get the heck out.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3960992 - 06/01/14 04:07 AM Re: Hello all, Apache guy here [Re: Nightmare515]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Welcome.

Spent four years around the Abrams as a line medic with the 1st Cav Division back in the lat 80s. We had the original M1s at that time, the 105mm rifled versions. We actually were one of the first units to field the M1, some still had M60s and were in the process of transitioning to the Abrams when I got there.

I could never keep up with the things in my M113. I would have to get the grid coordinates and then meet the company where they were setting up. I got pretty good at land nav around Fort Hood back then. It's hard to believe that most of this happened almost 30 years ago now. Those things were amazingly fast for the size of them.

I would love to get your impressions of Combat Helo when it comes out. Obviously it won't be a truly exact detailed version of the Apache, no 'simulation' ever truly is but I would love to get your opinions on it as someone that has flown the real thing. I've had buddies that have flown rotary wing in the past. One guy flew A models in the first Gulf War and another recently was an OH58a pilot.

What do you think of the Army phasing out the Kiowa. My bud thinks it is a mistake and will end up costing the Army more in maintenence and upkeep costs for Apaches since they will be taked to do much of what the Kiowa currently does.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3961150 - 06/01/14 03:53 PM Re: Hello all, Apache guy here [Re: icuucme37]  
Nightmare515 Offline
Nightmare515  Offline

Originally Posted By: icuucme37
Welcome....... All I can said is what a resume. Put in for a inter-service transfer in 5 years to train to become a A-10 driver (if still in service) and you most likely be the only person around that has been trained to kill armour with all major weapons system.....

I use to cuss you dang tankers just about daily while I was in basic training a Ft. Knox.. (1985) My barracks where right next to the road you took every morning at 4 am when you where leaving the barn headed to the gunner ranges.....

I would really love to fly A-10s. We all got really excited when the rumors started coming around that the Army might take the A-10s if the Air Force dropped them. I love 64's though I don't know if I could change.

Seems like nothing has changed over the many years which is funny. I remember rattling the barracks headed out to the early morning ranges. The scouts used to always cry about us waking them up too lol. They actually moved the Armor center from Knox to Benning a couple years ago. The legacy of Knox is over now.

#3961157 - 06/01/14 04:03 PM Re: Hello all, Apache guy here [Re: Wklink]  
Nightmare515 Offline
Nightmare515  Offline

Originally Posted By: Wklink
Welcome.

Spent four years around the Abrams as a line medic with the 1st Cav Division back in the lat 80s. We had the original M1s at that time, the 105mm rifled versions. We actually were one of the first units to field the M1, some still had M60s and were in the process of transitioning to the Abrams when I got there.

I could never keep up with the things in my M113. I would have to get the grid coordinates and then meet the company where they were setting up. I got pretty good at land nav around Fort Hood back then. It's hard to believe that most of this happened almost 30 years ago now. Those things were amazingly fast for the size of them.

I would love to get your impressions of Combat Helo when it comes out. Obviously it won't be a truly exact detailed version of the Apache, no 'simulation' ever truly is but I would love to get your opinions on it as someone that has flown the real thing. I've had buddies that have flown rotary wing in the past. One guy flew A models in the first Gulf War and another recently was an OH58a pilot.

What do you think of the Army phasing out the Kiowa. My bud thinks it is a mistake and will end up costing the Army more in maintenence and upkeep costs for Apaches since they will be taked to do much of what the Kiowa currently does.

I personally think its a mistake to get rid of the Kiowas as well. For anyone who has ever worked with Apaches they know how much of a nightmare (no pun intended) it is to keep them up maintenance wise. The thing is a 30 million dollar flying super computer and any number of things can ground them. The E model is even more tech heavy so it's going to cost way more to keep them flying than it would to keep a Kiowa flying. I can't count the number of times we have been stuck on the ground with a multitude of avionics guys pulling circuit breakers and pulling panels off trying to figure out whats wrong with the thing. Or a caution light pops on when we start taxiing out or while just casually flying around forcing us to land.

I'm trying to see the money saving logic behind phasing the Kiowas out but I just don't see it. They cost a lot less to produce, a lot less to maintain, a lot less to fly. It's not like the Army is really losing money keeping them around they don't break down too often. But then again I dont know the big picture so I'm guessing high brass and Congress see something that we don't.

#3961635 - 06/02/14 06:27 PM Re: Hello all, Apache guy here [Re: Nightmare515]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Originally Posted By: Nightmare515
Originally Posted By: HawkI
Have you played any of the Apache Simulators? If yes, what;s your opinion of them?

Last Apache sim Ive played was Jane's Longbow 2 a number of years ago. To be honest I forgot what it was actually like in terms of comparing it to the real thing. I've played a few console Apache video games like Apache Air Assault but those don't count of course.

I'm definitely going to take a look at Combat Helo when it gets released. I've been watching the youtube videos about it and it looks very well done.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Combat Helo looks very promising and a lot of people are eagerly awaiting it's release, if it does ever materialise!!

#3963205 - 06/05/14 03:54 PM Re: Hello all, Apache guy here [Re: HawkI]  
Nightmare515 Offline
Nightmare515  Offline

Originally Posted By: Nightmare515
Have you played any of the Apache Simulators? If yes, what;s your opinion of them?

Last Apache sim Ive played was Jane's Longbow 2 a number of years ago. To be honest I forgot what it was actually like in terms of comparing it to the real thing. I've played a few console Apache video games like Apache Air Assault but those don't count of course.

I'm definitely going to take a look at Combat Helo when it gets released. I've been watching the youtube videos about it and it looks very well done.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Combat Helo looks very promising and a lot of people are eagerly awaiting it's release, if it does ever materialise!!

Would you happen to know the status of it? I have been to the website but the information about it seems very minimal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.