Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
#3769176 - 04/17/13 09:19 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
I don't know, Scott has made some stinkers. To say this is his worst film? White Squall was better?
Worse than Alien Resurrection? Than AvP Requiem?

I didn't say this was his worst film, and I agree with you that he's made other stinkers (and that he shoulders much of the blame in this instance which cannot easily be deflected). There are plenty of stinkers out there, this was just another on the heap.

And yes, Prometheus would sit with those other low-points of Alienism to my mind.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3769178 - 04/17/13 09:23 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Jedi Master]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

You're right, you are missing it.

What I'm saying is we agree that there are flaws in the film. I agree with the majority of them in specifics. I disagree in the conclusion drawn from that.

The test part was saying we agree that out of 100 questions, only 85 were correct, but while I give that a B-/C+ grade you say it deserves an F.

You're wrong, if I missed it, it's because you have my point wrong. I never said it deserved an F. The score I gave was C / C-, but which in itself may sound higher than it deserved. But if I did give an F, your characterization of that as extremist is an unorthodox use of the word- one might say extreme. See below:

Quote:
That's where the extreme part comes in...the idea that the number of allowable flaws is very small, and if you have 3 strikes you're out.

People don't usually use the word extremist when referring to whether they like a film or not, usually that's reserved for the realm of politics or interpreting organizational doctrine or something. I loathe potato salad, that's not extreme or extremist, even if I existed on the fringes statistically for my matter of taste. Most people I know hate the smell of rotting garbage- that's not extremist, though. The way you reserve the word really loads the issue.

Quote:
I can never agree with someone who says they don't like a particular film because it stars actor XYZ and they dislike that actor because they disagree with their political views. So you don't like that actor as a person, because they believe something you do not, and somehow that affects your view of their portrayal of a character in a film and your enjoyment of the film as a whole? That is an extreme view. If the actor does a bad job, or the script sucks, sure that's a legitimate reason to not like a film. To dislike an excellent film because the actor spoke for or against some political hot button topic is not.

Not the issue being debated here. Irrelevant, or a red herring.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3769181 - 04/17/13 09:36 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Jedi, I guess my confusion is that you seem to imply there is something wrong with me not liking the movie, period. I think others have that impression as well, whether it's the one you meant to give or not. If I just said I didn't like it, and left it at that, I think it would have been unfair, so I'm providing more detail. You seem to think that's a bad idea, but I'm not sure.

I think we may also disagree on what constitutes a story, vs. the telling of that story. A joke can be funny if told well, or not funny if told badly, even it it contains the same basic components, and I think telling stories is the same.

I think there's a core story to be told, and key concepts to convey of that story, and then different scenes, characters, etc., are utilized to tell that story. If I think the overall story is bad, I may actually still like the process used in telling it. Conversely, if the basic story concept is good, I feel the process of telling it can ruin it. That's closer to what I think happened with Prometheus. The idea of discovering the Engineers, who created or had a hand in creating humans, and going off on an adventure to find them, and what finding them may reveal, is interesting to me. How they went about trying to tell that story didn't work for me.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3769360 - 04/18/13 03:55 AM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Wow, I can't think of any film that has garnered as much heated debate on SimHQ as Prometheus. Lol

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3769516 - 04/18/13 01:38 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Well anyway, i have provided my input wether its right or not to others is besides the point.

It fell short of the mark, by how far i guess is a personal opinion.

So i will leave it at that.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3769586 - 04/18/13 03:03 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
Well anyway, i have provided my input wether its right or not to others is besides the point.

It fell short of the mark, by how far i guess is a personal opinion.

So i will leave it at that.

Ditto

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3769745 - 04/18/13 06:43 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Jedi Master]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

As for contemporary peers...WHAT peers? Other large-budget 21st century SF films? How many of them are there? Eliminate comic book-based SF films like Avengers or Batman, cartoon-based like Transformers...what do you have? SW prequels? Star Trek reboot?

Ok, I'm cherry picking quotes now Jedi, so apologies, but this stood out enough that I couldn't resist. How about of these movies (off the top of my head so these may be wrong/incomplete) Elysium, After Earth, Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Ender's Game, Gravity, World War Z, Riddick as in all sci-fi and all due 2013. I had heard the 2013 was pretty much the 'Year of Sci-Fi' etc. in that way that hollywood likes to cluster around the same genre like a pigs around an apple.

As for the debate on Prometheus, I personally enjoyed it. Flawed with some crazy character development and dialog but still pretty good. I hope they do more.

#3769749 - 04/18/13 06:48 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I know it was a while back but does anyone remember the joke Seth McFarlane said about Prometheus during his hosting of the Oscars? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3769753 - 04/18/13 06:57 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I know it was a while back but does anyone remember the joke Seth McFarlane said about Prometheus during his hosting of the Oscars? biggrin

I remember him saying something like

'what the hell what was going on there'

..to some of the cast (Charlize T etc) and getting a laugh. It was kind of a cheap gag, in that superficially it's funny but underneath it's a bit sad, in that he reinforces the point that today's movies that require thinking are weird enough to point at. Casablanca 2 would probably tie up the 'loose ends' in the first 5 minutes smile

#3769759 - 04/18/13 07:03 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
I remember him saying something like

'what the hell what was going on there'

Yeah, that was the basic gist of it. I was watching the Oscars that night with a group of friends which consisted of several sci-fi fans so we got a good laugh out of it.

#3769791 - 04/18/13 08:14 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
I watched it to be entertained and have fun. It did not disappoint.

I watched it once with my daughter, and then with my buds where we laughed and critisized. It was good for our egos.

#3960575 - 05/31/14 02:59 AM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I am watching this right now again for the 4th time.

Still a lot of unanswered questions.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3960597 - 05/31/14 05:07 AM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I still like it. Once you get over the first viewing and what "isn't" in it, you're free to enjoy it more on later viewings. A lot of movies are like that.
Chronicles of Riddick and Riddick were the same way. Man of Steel too, but I loved that one even to begin with.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3960712 - 05/31/14 02:56 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The good aspects of Prometheus:

- Great cinematography
- Great set design
- The performance by Michael Fassbender

The bad aspects of Prometheus:

- Completely irrational behavior by some of the characters, namely the geologist, the head researcher and xenobiologist.

- The whole deal with Weyland concealing the fact that he's alive and secretly on the ship.

- For a multi-billion dollar expedition, Weyland-Yutani sure managed to hire a bunch of incompetent people.

Having said all that, I've seen many sci-fi films that were a LOT worse than Prometheus. This has everything to do with the belief that I think Prometheus could have been so much more.

#3961534 - 06/02/14 02:44 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I agree the bit with him concealing his presence was pointless, it seemed to purely be for the "oh, look, he's there" tiny moment that was not really important.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3961538 - 06/02/14 02:50 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And you could tell by the way Charlize Theron delivered her line of "Father!!" that it was intended to carry a lot of dramatic gravitas but imho it fell flatter than Keira Knightley's bust.

#3961932 - 06/03/14 11:12 AM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I'm not sure if that problem would've been fixable in editing or not, but it was still early enough in the film that there hadn't been enough character development for it to matter.
When they reveal Sarek to be Spock's father in Tower of Babel at the start of the episode, it resonates because we've already known Spock for a long time before that. The appearance of Sarek in The Man Trap would've meant nothing.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3961938 - 06/03/14 11:22 AM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
You mean "Journey to Babel"? wink

#3961984 - 06/03/14 12:23 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Isn't that what I said?

Oh, I guess I didn't. I don't usually post so early in the morning.

The Jedi Master

#3962000 - 06/03/14 12:43 PM Re: Prometheus "FULL OF SPOILERS" discussion thread! [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Oh, I guess I didn't. I don't usually post so early in the morning.

The Jedi Master
No prob. I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.