Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3959833 - 05/29/14 10:39 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

end up with hand-to-hand battle at the last part of the fight or the movie itself.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3959840 - 05/29/14 10:57 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Coot]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Coot
Subtitles for momentary translations being spoken that go too fast for my dumbo brain to read and then subtitle text that either blends in too much with what's behind it so I can't see it anyway or that uses a color or font that for some reason kills immersion for the movie they are applied to.

I also don't like when Hollywood throws in some insult or political preachiness that's obvious and targeted to some current issue especially when the movie has nothing to do with that. Then years later you don't even remember what it was about but you know they were being preachy about something and it serves no purpose other than as a distraction just because some joker with clout got to the writers.

I hate when someone uses the saying "its a free country".

When movies make the youth out to be more savvy and intelligent than their elders.

When movies go out of their way to make "Christians" appear like the most brainless, in-genuine, almost non-human robotic type individuals instead of people with the same background and same problems but with a different faith and belief-system.

What about "they never get the beauty of the planet Moon right?" biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3959845 - 05/29/14 11:05 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Arthonon]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Arthonon
It's been posted before but...

I think it was an episode of Castle I was watching recently that also called BS on that. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3959848 - 05/29/14 11:17 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
1.) George Clooney

2.) George Clooney

3.) George Clooney

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3959867 - 05/30/14 12:05 AM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Criminal Minds is notoriously guilty for let's enhance and we can find anything using a computer.

That Garcia woman on Criminal Minds can, within minutes and a few taps on the keyboard, find pristine digitized copies of records on the internet from various databases even if those documents were from 200 years ago.

I used to watched Criminal Minds when it first started, the first 3 seasons.

But then the absurdity and ridiculousness of what Garcia can do with a computer in a matter of minutes or even seconds totally turned me off to the show.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3959945 - 05/30/14 03:44 AM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: ColJamesD]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
33? What are you folks talking about?
It's the first episode of the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3959967 - 05/30/14 04:44 AM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Thanks.

Never seen that show except for the 80's version.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3959978 - 05/30/14 06:23 AM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
When I was a kid, it used to always irk me when some kid in a movie would get all upset and indignant with his father for missing his baseball game or whatever because of some important business meeting, or he missed his flight, or any number of other legitimate reasons.

Maybe that really says more about my childhood than it does about movies, but even when I was pretty small I could appreciate that my dad often had obligations and responsibilities superseding my immediate desires that had to be done to keep me clothed and fed and such.

Even now, knowing it's really just a movie-friendly device that serves to quickly illustrate a deeper ongoing father-son relationship issue, I still feel the urge to sort the kid out and explain that a father's love and attention is important, but so is having a roof over your head, food to eat, and a baseball glove so you can play in your posh suburban little league game.

edit: Colonel James, the new BSG is well worth watching if you are even just a bit interested in science fiction (well, the first couple seasons at least... after that, it goes a bit downhill but is still okay).

Last edited by Aero; 05/30/14 06:25 AM.
#3959997 - 05/30/14 07:54 AM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Aero]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Aero
When I was a kid, it used to always irk me when some kid in a movie would get all upset and indignant with his father for missing his baseball game or whatever because of some important business meeting, or he missed his flight, or any number of other legitimate reasons.

Maybe that really says more about my childhood than it does about movies, but even when I was pretty small I could appreciate that my dad often had obligations and responsibilities superseding my immediate desires that had to be done to keep me clothed and fed and such.

Even now, knowing it's really just a movie-friendly device that serves to quickly illustrate a deeper ongoing father-son relationship issue, I still feel the urge to sort the kid out and explain that a father's love and attention is important, but so is having a roof over your head, food to eat, and a baseball glove so you can play in your posh suburban little league game.

edit: Colonel James, the new BSG is well worth watching if you are even just a bit interested in science fiction (well, the first couple seasons at least... after that, it goes a bit downhill but is still okay).

Plus... Number 6 and Boomer. 'Nuff said.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3960040 - 05/30/14 10:32 AM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: ColJamesD]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Thanks.

Never seen that show except for the 80's version.
I highly recommend you at least give the miniseries a shot. You won't be disappointed.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3960096 - 05/30/14 12:56 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: komemiute]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: komemiute
Originally Posted By: Aero

Plus... Number 6 and Boomer. 'Nuff said.

I found all the main women actors except Starbuck to be super obnoxious personally biggrin

Still, compared to most it was a great show if you looked past the drama and occasional TV blunders (like the countdown in 33, or my favorite: all the experienced marines/police die in a movie fashion but the main characters and rookies are OK)

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3960201 - 05/30/14 03:38 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I always hate it when a character responds in an unbelievable way, beyond the example of the kid not understanding their parents have responsibilities.

All the time I'll see it and say "no real person would react that way!", but you can see it was done in order to set up the next scene or circumstance because if they HAD reacted normally the next event wouldn't work. My favorite is the wife/ex-wife/girlfriend acting with ridiculous outrage to some easily explainable event and not accepting the explanation, especially if it's barely different from something you've seen them accept 100 times before.

Eg the cop regularly works long shifts, getting home late or not at all, but THIS time the wife says "this is too much!" because he said THIS time he'd be there by X o'clock, but it's 15 mins after and he missed her clearly unimportant "thing" he said he'd show for.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3960213 - 05/30/14 03:49 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Then there's the very well known and established cliche from the James Bond films and other spy genre films where the hero is apprehended by the main villain and instead of simply killing the hero outright he has to wine & dine him, strike up conversation, etc.

And then when the villain finally does decide to kill the hero, he leaves the area and leaves it up to his henchmen to do the deed.
And of course that plan always goes awry.

#3960227 - 05/30/14 04:22 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
But they're so lonely frown

#3960268 - 05/30/14 05:19 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Then there's the very well known and established cliche from the James Bond films and other spy genre films where the hero is apprehended by the main villain and instead of simply killing the hero outright he has to wine & dine him, strike up conversation, etc.

And then when the villain finally does decide to kill the hero, he leaves the area and leaves it up to his henchmen to do the deed.
And of course that plan always goes awry.

I loved how Austin Powers addressed that.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3960270 - 05/30/14 05:23 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
The first two were hilarious

#3960274 - 05/30/14 05:30 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Ajay]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I enjoyed the old SNL skit with Walken reprising his role as Zorin when Bond shows up too early before he's finished construction on his lair. He tells him "I was going to give you the tour but you're TOO EARLY and we're not ready for you!!"

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3960373 - 05/30/14 08:07 PM Re: Things in movies that make me go...ugh [Re: Jedi Master]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I always hate it when a character responds in an unbelievable way, beyond the example of the kid not understanding their parents have responsibilities.

All the time I'll see it and say "no real person would react that way!", but you can see it was done in order to set up the next scene or circumstance because if they HAD reacted normally the next event wouldn't work. My favorite is the wife/ex-wife/girlfriend acting with ridiculous outrage to some easily explainable event and not accepting the explanation, especially if it's barely different from something you've seen them accept 100 times before.

Eg the cop regularly works long shifts, getting home late or not at all, but THIS time the wife says "this is too much!" because he said THIS time he'd be there by X o'clock, but it's 15 mins after and he missed her clearly unimportant "thing" he said he'd show for.

The Jedi Master

I'd say modern sitcoms are especially guilty in this category, with all those faux "relationship problems". Mostly the reasons for trouble are so benign and contrived they would never happen IRL, and even if, would be easily resolvable with a 2 minute conversation....and if not, there would never be a better reason to end the relationship. smile

Last edited by Jayhawk; 05/30/14 08:09 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.