Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3959564 - 05/29/14 03:45 PM Print media  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
There seems to be a lot of online articles lately about the supposed demise and decline of print media and I'm curious to see if that sentiment is also reflected in the SimHQ community.

When was the last time you bought,

A newspaper?

A magazine?

A book?

I think it's been at least 6 years since I bought a newspaper, about 7 years since I bought a magazine and about one year since I bought a printed book.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3959565 - 05/29/14 03:50 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I work in the print industry and certainly no decline here. I have never bought newspapers, magazine was probably PC Pilot early last year and book was last week.

I love printed media and far prefer holding a brand new book to getting a digital version although I do buy them too.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3959568 - 05/29/14 03:56 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Newspaper? I don't think I ever have in my life (maybe once or twice on someone else's request).

Magazine: SWAT and RECOIL, plus the various free magazines that come with IDPA and USPSA memberships.

Book: I read in spurts, so it has been a while. My GF is on something like the 4th this month.

I would say certain print is dead.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3959569 - 05/29/14 04:00 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Newspapers-never.
Magazine-too long ago to remember.
Book-5+ years I guess.

I do read though,just books that I already own.Or listen to audiobooks.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3959571 - 05/29/14 04:03 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I subscribe to 4 magazines and read paperback books daily.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3959582 - 05/29/14 04:24 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Newspapers - never buy print version, I read news online/phone/tablet, I would subscribe to a digital newspaper if the cost was not so insane (NYT $35/mo digital cost no way)

Magazines - I subscribe to 1 magazine, but I really only read the digital version available to subscribers and file the paper versions into a box for when the power is out.

Books - only buy/read Kindle books these days

I do think print news and even magazines are dead, they can stay alive in digital format if/when they adjust their costs to account for no physical production costs.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3959593 - 05/29/14 04:37 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I only get newspapers when I need something to spray paint on smile

I pretty much only buy electronic books, because of the convenience of not having to carry a bunch of books and because I can adjust the print size for my failing eyes. I did buy a printed book recently, but that's because the author signed it.

I usually get magazines electronically as well, but went back to buying Combat Aircraft and Air Forces Monthly when I wanted one because their electronic app needs an Internet connection, and I didn't want to need that if I was reading them on a plane.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3959600 - 05/29/14 04:42 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Used to get the newspaper for years, stopped 5 years ago when I got my apartment. Didn't want to try to have it delivered only to be taken by someone else. Can't get the funnys online.

Magazine, just bought a photography one last month or so. Looking for a good one to subscribe to.

Books, only buy real books, I like keeping them in my library. 1, I've reread many books over, 2 it shows my boys you don't have to read just for school.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#3959608 - 05/29/14 04:49 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

I buy a newspaper occasionally but haven't subscribed in over 2 years. We last had a subscription during my wife's mat leave. Don't plan on getting a subscription.

I used to have subscriptions to both The Economist and The New Yorker. I dropped The Economist in December... I had been splitting a double subscription with my father but they took away that option and also started to charge for the electronic version over and above the print which seemed kind of cheeky. The New Yorker I've kept, but (to my surprise) I've been reading the electronic version more and more frequently, and the print copy less and less. I have to travel by air about every 6 weeks, and I usually pick up a magazine at an airport kiosk for the flight.

As for books, a number of book stores in Toronto(four that I can think of off-hand) have been going belly up around town and I've been able to pick up a fair number of bargains in the last few months... of course, the fact that they are going bankrupt is a pretty clear indication that the print industry is under pressure generally. Re-reading 1984 at the moment.

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3959620 - 05/29/14 05:02 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hack157th Offline
Ubergoof
Hack157th  Offline
Ubergoof

Mankato, MN.
I work in the print and book manufacturing industry. We are on mandatory overtime for at least 8 months out of the year. So, if print is dead, nobody told our customers..

Newspaper - Never had a subscription

Magazine - PC Gamer was the last one I've subscribed to, and that was years ago..

Books - I read mostly on my Nexus, But I also buy hardcover versions of the books I really like as I also like building my library. Song of Ice and Fire is a good example.

#3959623 - 05/29/14 05:05 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
My problem with print is storage space.

I used to keep all issues of the mags I got, but I now keep only the last year or so. Air & Space, Aviation Week, and PC Gamer are the only ones I've bought in recent years, and now I don't even get A&S anymore.

I bought TONS of books until I got my Kindle--which the wife got me because we had too many overflowing bookcases.
I don't plan on dumping the old books, to buy them all for the Kindle would cost me far too much, and that's just the paperbacks and hardcovers. The aviation large-size books would never work and they're not on there anyway.

Newspapers were for job ads and coupons, now they're just coupons, and they're too expensive for that.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3959626 - 05/29/14 05:10 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
I read French newspapers in the coffee shop to keep up my French language skills, but seldom Engligh ones. As Thoreau said, change the names and dates and it`s all the same trash from year to year anyway.

As far as books go, real books are far better.

I read magazines at the library. The Economist most often.

Question everything!
#3959647 - 05/29/14 05:31 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
newspapers....just when we need to see something in it, sales at Thanksgiving or to clip something relevant for posterity (births, obits etc)

magazines.....I still get Road & Track each month, no plans to end it.

books.....I very much prefer my Kindle and Kindle app on my Nexus 7. Networked to share my bookmarks, easy to carry, looks great and I'll probably have it with me anyway. Only problem is how EASY it is to buy books that look interesting, creating a large backlog of books I need to get to. LOL Also nice to use headphones and listen to music while reading, all with just one thing in hand.
And I hate holding books open while I read now! Totally spoiled by having a screen (clearer than printed pages) and just holding a flat object. Easier on the eyes and I can read at night without a light---I keep my Nexus 7 kindle app set to white text with black background. No eye strain in the dark. Also I have to admit my eyes aren't quite what they used to be and sometimes it's nice to enlarge the print a bit.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3959666 - 05/29/14 06:10 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bolox Offline
bolox  Offline

Newspapers:- 10 years ago I bought one of the broadsheets almost every day i was at home. Nowadays almost never.

Magazines:- Have always bought these in a random way, often when traveling by train/plane. Probably buying less than 10 yrs ago, some of which is due to there being less titles that interest me now.

Books:- I read alot of books (real , physical books), to the extent of upto 200/month 'habit' at one point a few years ago ( but I can handle it biggrin ). Nowadays I'm a bit more restrained, waiting for paperback version, taking advantage of 3 for 2 offers etc.
For me books don't work well for me on a tablet, so I stick to physical books. I do like tablet for keeping tech manuals for work tho

"There are two things that are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the Universe." - Einstein
#3959674 - 05/29/14 06:23 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
The nice thing about magazines is after I'm done with them I can leave them around the office or range for others to enjoy as well. I don't keep them, and I also don't like reading them online when I spend most of my day in front of a screen.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3959696 - 05/29/14 07:06 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Newspapers, London Evening Standard on the train last night. Occasionally on a Sunday or for a feature.
Magazines, used to subscribe to Finescale Modeller and Photo Pro, now just pick up an occasional one for a holiday read (usually planes, trains or automobiles)
Book. Just finished a biography of James Hunt. Next up is a book on Elizabeth I, bought for me by a millionaire who owns the portrait on the front biggrin

#3959724 - 05/29/14 07:32 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
I have a weekend subscription (Fr/Sat) for the Sddeutsche Zeitung.

And I still buy 2/3 of my book as printed versions.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3959814 - 05/29/14 09:38 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WalterNowi Offline
WalterNowi  Offline

Arcadia, CA
Newspaper: Get the paper delivered to my front door everyday.

Magazine: Too long ago that I can't remember.

Book: This week.

I must be an old-fossil old_simmer

#3959826 - 05/29/14 10:17 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Kosmo. Offline
Kosmo.  Offline

Greece
I work in the press and there has been no decline other than the general economic crisis related decline in sales. When the first sort of "electronic newspaper" was developed (around 20 years ago!) the printed press was thought to be dead withing a few years. Well that never happened. However magazines mostly sell when they give stuff away (esp women's magazines) and the best selling newspapers are the sports related ones by far (seems sports fans can never read enough about their team).

I myself have never once bought a newspaper and I have gone from about 6-7 magazines a month to zero over the past 10 years or so. I do think books will be much harder to kill though. I can read all the articles I want online, for free, wherever and whenever I want to, but I just can't read a book on my PC or a tablet.

#3959834 - 05/29/14 10:42 PM Re: Print media [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Immermann Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Immermann  Offline
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.

Lule/Norrbotten/Sweden
I never buy news papers, all journalists in Sweden are #%&*$# left wing propaganda shills.
They only produce unreadable garbage and lies.
Magazines, years ago, can't say exactly.
Books, a couple a year. I'm a bit of a bibliophile and like paper books, but I do have a Kindle which is quite good.
My latest purchases were two books on Pin-ups, Gil Elvgren and others, great books! thumbsup

The internet has really had a huge effect on the news paper business here, as paper plants have had to cut production on newsprint ( with following lay offs).

Last edited by Immermann; 05/29/14 10:45 PM.

"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.