Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3951466 - 05/09/14 06:21 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
FrenchToast Offline
FrenchToast  Offline

QuebecLand
Allegedly somebody paid 25 grants for 2 tickets to the Habs game yesterday here in Montreal....

FT

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3951786 - 05/10/14 01:24 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
I've never paid more, and never for a concert anyway. I've shown up at hockey games that were sold out and bought spare tickets from folks who had extras, and always for face value or below.

Murphy, you look(ed) like the guy to buy weed from...lol. Not that I've ever bought it since I've been military for almost 30 years, but I've been around folks who have.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3951835 - 05/10/14 03:01 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

I got a ticket from a scalper at a sold out festival in DC my freshman year in college. I went with my roommate who was from the area and knew what he was doing (so he said). Went again the next year and bought tickets online as soon as they were available. I went with a different friend that year. There were still tickets available at the box office when we got there and my buddy insisted he was going to get an awesome deal from a scalper trying to unload stuff for less than face value. I told him I thought it was a bad idea... and he ended up buying a fake ticket. When we got to the entrance the girl taking tickets licked her thumb and the ink rubbed right off his. So he had to go to the box office and ended up spending his money for both days of the festival to see one day.

I have gotten tickets to VT football games outside the stadium once, but it was less than 1/4 face value so I wasn't out a bunch of money if it wasn't legit. Plus my friend who I was there with had a brother on the team and we squeezed me into the family section.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#3957069 - 05/23/14 03:30 AM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

If you've ever used a ticket service like Stubhub or bought tickets from someone on eBay or even from a friend, you've bought them from a scalper. You're still buying tickets second hand, it's just that they don't have the usual connotation of scalper because they're not some guy at the venue buying and selling. Still the same thing.

This is an area where the modern world is backwards and facilitates a legitimate scam- say you live in Hawaii, tickets go on sale for your anticipated event at 8:00 am local time, you wake up, go to buy the tickets to find out the event is sold out, but you go on eBay and suddenly find tons of tickets available from sellers in New York who had a several hour jump on you, and bought out the event. They have no intention of going to the event of course, but just to take advantage of people who are desperate to buy because the sellers on eBay have created an artificial shortage.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3957083 - 05/23/14 05:31 AM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
We complained to ebay about this as we felt ripped off by this very thing as i said above. Fans miss out as these types buy up in bulk on big concerts and make a sh/tload from their living room. Ebay doesn't give a toss ...money money money.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3957195 - 05/23/14 02:26 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
The only second-hand tickets I remember purchasing...

Wife and I were at a Blockbusters in Atlanta and overheard a conversation at the counter with a guy complaining about the Black Crowes (from Marietta, GA) being kicked off ZZ Top's Recycler tour. Something about disrespecting the tour's sponsor, Miller Beer. He said he had tickets but wasn't going because the band he really wanted to see was the Crowes.

So I asked if he was selling his tickets (concert was sold out) and he said sure, face value. IIRC, we had less than an hour to get to the Omni, we were sitting down at our seats just as the house lights were cut.

Good seats (a few rows up off the left side floor of the stage), great concert.

#3957198 - 05/23/14 02:30 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Hyena Offline
Hyena  Offline

Houston
I used to buy tix to the annual UT / TX A&M Thanksgiving game all the time. Only way to get in for under $50 a seat. And I usually buy my ski-lift tickets from people in the parking lot. Those things are way pricey for a day pass.

I also will sell my extra football and rodeo tickets on craigslist or at the stadium.

"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived."
#3957201 - 05/23/14 02:41 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
We usually get decent seats for Rush because we stay on top of it and hit the pre-order (i.e. R30 Atlanta, floor row 13 in front of Geddy). The last one in Orlando was a late purchase (we had to make travel plans) so seats were in the upper back of the arena.

For the Pink Floyd concert (on the other thread) we were on the opposite end of a football stadium, glad they had such a big screen!

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3957202 - 05/23/14 02:46 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: MarkG
We usually get decent seats for Rush because we stay on top of it and hit the pre-order (i.e. R30 Atlanta, floor row 13 in front of Geddy). The last one in Orlando was a late purchase (we had to make travel plans) so seats were in the upper back of the arena.

For the Pink Floyd concert (on the other thread) we were on the opposite end of a football stadium, glad they had such a big screen!

When I saw Rush in Ft. Lauderdale last year the concert didn't sell out so me and my girlfriend got a free upgrade. We ended up sitting on the right side of the auditorium just a few rows back. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3957265 - 05/23/14 05:26 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: Ajay]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Ajay
We complained to ebay about this as we felt ripped off by this very thing as i said above. Fans miss out as these types buy up in bulk on big concerts and make a sh/tload from their living room. Ebay doesn't give a toss ...money money money.

Basically the dynamics are the same as scalpers- so while any laws are concerned with busting resale at the gate, they do nothing from busting resellers on Stubhub or Ebay.

Ebay owns Stubhub, they're cornering the marketplace for secondary market resale. Interestingly, the same dynamics can still apply. Scalpers at the event may actually lower their prices as the time for the event draws near and they can't find buyers, or risk having tickets that can't unload, the same thing could happen on Ebay or Stubhub, which are just platforms for scalpers away from the event.

Society bears one kind of 'vice' and doesn't tolerate another, just like so many other things in this world. wink

No one gets out of here alive.

#3957268 - 05/23/14 05:30 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Sitting at a concert? jawdrop

-C-

#3957303 - 05/23/14 06:55 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
There is nothing like the mosh pit at a Yo-Yo Ma recital.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3957320 - 05/23/14 07:33 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Worse moshpit was at my wedding.
We bought a whole Parmesan Wheel (the real deal, not export stuff.) and the boy there was instructed to give as much as they wanted.

Pinot Grigio del Collio, parmesan and closeby the salmon table.

And that as an appetiser before the lunch. wink
My parties are a Riot.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3957324 - 05/23/14 07:44 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Wasn't your wedding in Italy kome? It would be both funny and sad if the Parmesan cheese was imported. lol.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3957331 - 05/23/14 07:59 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Aah, an attentive reader.
Of course the wedding was in Italy.
*Mumble something about German food at parties and plaster in the stomach*

Ehrm-upmh... I was saying...
Yes- but it happens that caterers to save money (and earn more) buy something that looks and smell like original parmesan but tastes worse... I made sure, at a little cost in stress, that only the best stuff was served.

EDIT: You can't say you drank Italian White Wine until you got a non mass-market Pinot Grigio del Collio.

Last edited by komemiute; 05/23/14 08:02 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3957336 - 05/23/14 08:06 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The only white wine I drink is Riesling. smile

#3957344 - 05/23/14 08:23 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

An impressive choice.
Almost suspect. biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3957439 - 05/24/14 02:54 AM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I have used scalpers numerous times in the past. Seen over 30 concerts and approx 15 NHL games. Granted not all were threw scalpers, but likely about %50. I've always done it old school (it's been a while), nothing over the phone or internet. Face to face on the street.
It's all relevant to you if it is worth it or not. We all have our price limits thought. Ticket prices in general are too expensive now IMO. There are not too many concerts that would be must sees for me now. Seen my favorites over the years at least twice, Van Halen 4 times.
4 years ago I took my son to an NHL game, payed just over cost for the tickets, sat in upper bowl, by the end of the night it was a $500 night to see a 1-0 loss.
The memories we have of this night are great. My boy was 8 then, we had a great night just the 2 of us.
But I am reluctant to drop another $500 to do it any time soon.

#3958113 - 05/26/14 12:20 AM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Well my girl made it to the concert.
I managed to convince my wife it would be a mother daughter special memory if she took her.
And it was, Now I am sorry I didn't take her.
But I did drop and collect them from the venue there must have been every teenage girl in Ireland there
And get this a guy with a panicked look on his face approached my wife with a fist full of notes he offered Her one thousand euro for her Thickets cash.
She of course said no thank you, I am thinking of changing my occupation. LoL
Just goes to show, Dads will do anything for there kids.

Last edited by marko1231123; 05/26/14 12:21 AM.
#3958263 - 05/26/14 12:30 PM Re: Have you ever used a ticket scalper [Re: marko1231123]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Worked security at a lot of concerts over the years.

Been involved in the break up of a counterfeit ring at a M. Jackson concet in Glasgow, getting evidence on a steward that was taking bribes to let people in a side gate at Prince concert, bringing a drug dealer to justice at a 3 day pop festival - that ended up as a police chase with patrol cars and the police helicopter, same concert but different year bringing to justice a gang that had attempted to murder a person with an axe. I have a commendation from the police for my work in apprehending the suspects in that incident, I directed the operation to ambush one of the suspects and acted as a decoy to get another, the final 2 were apprehended in a tent, they did not count on the helicopter having thermal imaging and that we could see them inside the tent, there were 30,000 tents there!
So no I've not used a ticket scalper smile

The tool I used at various pop concerts etc. to video the crowd

Used this one at the festival to catch the gang, the little box on the side of the camera in a microwave link to the police helicopter's camera, I had another link to beam CCTV back to the police operations from where ever I was operating

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.