Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3949471 - 05/05/14 09:10 PM EVE Online newbie POV  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
EVE Online Blog

Ive always wanted to try EVE Online for years. I remember looking at copycat games in the Philippines and there was even an attempt to hack EVE so that it can be run from a private server. The idea there was that with a private server, there would be no need to pay for a monthly subscription. As a college student in a third-world country, hobby money was as real as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Suffice to say I wasnt able to play EVE Online and was just forced to watch from the sidelines. Im not very good at that and luckily, I had other interests to keep me occupied.

On February 2010, I moved to the UK thanks to a lucky break in my career and managed to snag a Special Edition box of EVE that came with a 60-day time card. I made my character, did the tutorials, and then had a general putter about. I had no clue what I was doing aside from what the tutorials taught me so I sought membership into EVE University, a corporation that specialized in teaching new players what to do. Unfortunately, due to the wait times, I wasnt able to join in soon enough and my subscription ended. I didnt exactly have much fun so I didnt re-subscribe.

I did, however, keep getting newsletters on my email address so I knew that EVE was alive and well and went through a good few expansions. Every now and again, Steam would put EVE starter packs on sale and I would get tempted to play it again, but I always had excuses and other games to keep me busy.

On May 2014, I was feeling a bit down, my current games list didnt look too interesting despite having tons of games Ive not finished and even more games Ive not really played at all, and then EVE was up for sale again on Steam. As an added bonus, FrenchToast started asking about EVE on the SimHQ forums. I thought about it and decided to check out how EVE was doing. I decided not to dig too deep into the expansions and stuff as these were most likely advanced stuff that I wont be dealing with until much later anyway. I looked around for info regarding the best way to start up and what sort of help new pilots would get.

I knew EVE offered 14 days free trial, or I could get 21 days free trial via a buddy invite. However, a sticky thread on the EVE forums caught my eye. People were offering not just buddy invites but also rewards for using their invites! Apparently, EVE would give them a PLEX (in-game item that gives 30-days game time if used) which they could then use and sell, and a good few members were selling these PLEXes and using the money to attract others! The basic idea is thus: I would use Person As buddy invite to get me a 21-day free trial. If at any time I would upgrade my trial account to a full account, Person A would get a PLEX. He would then sell this PLEX on the market and give me back ISK and/or items as agreed. In my case, I got a few tips on making more ISK and about 564 million ISK (80% of PLEX buying price at the time) for my troubles.

So now I have a new Caldari character with 564,688,000 ISK --- more than enough to buy what I want in skillbooks, modules, implants, and even ships. To put that into perspective, each basic implant that gives a +3 boost to a stat costs about 10 million ISK each so 50 million will put +3 on all my stats. Caldari destroyers look sweet and cost between 1-2 million per ship, fitting them might cost a few million more. No sweat with a wallet of 564 million.

At the moment, I just finished doing the basic tutorial and am starting on the Business Career Agent line. Im grinding a few skills but will buy a cybernetics skill book soon. This line should give me a Limited Social Adaptation Chip (+1 to Charisma) and I wonder if itll give me a Cybernetics skill book as well. Ive bought two skillbooks that I already learned so I had to go out to Jita to sell them for a small loss, so I dont want to buy skillbooks that Ill end up selling again later on. Every now and again, I look at the market for +3 implants and if there is one close by, I buy it, fly to the station, pick it up, and return to my station to store it. As soon as I train up my Cybernetics skill, Ill be plugging in my implants straight away and should quicken my skill training considerably.

At the moment, Im almost never using the autopilot. Manual warping means I come out of warp right on top of the jumpgates and jump through straight away. This means less flying about and less chances of being jumped and having my precious cargo stolen. I spend most of my down time reading some threads on the EVE forums or looking at the various ships available later on and daydreaming about how cool it would be to fly and fight in them. Everybody says PvP is the heart and soul of EVE, that it drives everything in the game and I see their point but at the moment, Ill see what else I can do.

Im hoping to play mostly PvE in co-op play with some friends I know in real life. Im also hoping to be able to get to the point that I am self sufficient and can play without paying real money for the subscription. I realize that Id be lucky if my character ends up totally self sufficient but if I can pay for only 3 months for a 5-month game time, why not? The pros say that it is totally possible to play without spending money, but theyre pros. Lets see what a newbie like myself could manage. Unfortunately, this might mean less pew-pew-pewing and more mining, trading, and doing mission/courier runs. Lets see where my 3 month subscription will take me.

Character Advancement Log:
Shield Operations 1-2
Caldari Frigate 3
Mining Frigate 1
Drones 1
Social 1
Scout Drone Operation 1
Industry 1
Negotiation 1
Trade 1

I started training Caldari Frigate straight away since this skill would take long and so any free time my character would have would be training Caldari Frigate. As I accomplished the tutorials and the Agent missions and got skillbooks, I would insert them to the start of the queue. At the moment, I have Caldari Frigate to level 4 at the bottom of the queue which would take 1 day, 13 hours, and 36 minutes to train. If I have to leave the computer for a length of time, at least that time would be spent training Caldari Frigate rather than having the skill training list empty. I also have Refining 1 and Contracting 1 currently queued up before Caldari Frigate.

EVE Impressions, 5th May 2014:
Id have to say the game is beautiful. Ive always liked space games, Ive thoroughly enjoyed Homeworld 1 and 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, and other games. EVE does not disappoint in the eye candy department.

A new feature as well is the ability to create your own avatar or pilot for EVE, and the choices now look infinitely better than what was available 4 years ago. Since I will be looking at this character whenever Im out of my ship, I decided Id like to look at a lady rather than a rough-looking bloke. I have no patience with the character creator so after a few random rolls, I settled for a normal-looking character, swapped a few things around, and started my EVE career. This character also ends up as my avatar on the EVE forums and I know that a few others out there have created rather interesting-looking characters so the character creator is quite robust.

Ive also spent some time viewing YouTube tutorials on starting out on EVE and combined with the in-game tutorials, everything made more sense and I wasnt flopping around like the last time.

With a HD7970 video card and 3x27 screens, the game looks absolutely beautiful. Ill have to try this on my sons computer with a HD 5770 and a 24 screen and see how it looks like from that PC. One thing I really like now is the sense of scale. Standing in my Captains quarters looking at my ship floating in front of me, I can see its quite a big ship compared to a human figure, but everytime I approach a station, jump gate, acceleration gate, or other structures, I am amazed at how big those structures are compared to my Ibis. Everytime I undock from a station, I see my ship make its way out of the massive docking bay of the station. On my two visits to Jita, the docking bay was very busy with so many ships coming in and out and again, I was amazed at the scale of everything compared to my now-tiny Ibis! Sweet!

Okay, by this time, Ive completed the Business Agents line and indeed, he did give me a Cybernetics skillbook. Im glad I didnt go out and buy it otherwise Id be making a visit to Jita again. I know I couldve just saved my unused skillbooks and just make one trip to Jita later on but I like to keep my inventory tidy and also was worried that Id forget about having to sell them and that would just mean the skillbooks would stay in my inventory forever. Better to take care of selling them straight away and not forgetting.

5 May 2014 5:25PM

Stepped away from the computer for a few hours to do some chores, came back and all my minor skill training has finished, namely Cybernetics 1, Refining 1, and Contracting 1. At this moment, Ive got no clue what to train so I put up another rank of Cybernetics which would take 1hr and 56min to train. Since I have one level of Cybernetics anyway, I look for the remaining implants I want and pick them all up from Jita. Ive decided not to plug in the implants at Jita and bring them back to my current home base of Ultra VI Moon 4 State War Academy. Ill queue up some more skills, note their times, plug in all implants, and note the difference. I must say it was quite intense undocking from Jita with 3 implants on board.... I had to scroll down a bit to find my stargate and for some reason, the warpdrive took slightly longer to kick in. I look at my screen and see warp scramble attempt and I think this is it, Im not even a few km from the station and Im getting trapped and killed!! Luckily, it was two other guys fighting it out so I warped out of there quick! The next few systems on my way home (4 jumps) were quiet so I had time to shake out the shivers.

For record purposes, heres what Ive queued up:
Hull Upgrades (2x) Level 1 18m 40s
Cybernetics (3x) Level 2 1h 56m 20s
Drones (1x) Level 2 38m 50s
Scout Drone Operation (1x) Level 2 38m 50s
Gunnery (1x) Level 3 3h 39m 30s
Mechanics (1x) Level 3 3h 39m 30s
Industry (1x) Level 2 38m 50s
Mining (1x) Level 3 3h 39m 30s
Refining (1x) Level 2 38m 50s
Refining (1x) Level 3 3h 39m 30s
Survey (1x) Level 1 8m 20s
Astrometrics (3x) Level 2 1h 56m 26s
Caldari Frigate (2x) Level 4 1d 12h 13m 22s

I noticed that some of them, if the same difficulty (1x) training to the same level (Level 2) would give the same time to train, so I guess that determines how long a skill would need to be trained up to the next level. Ive paused the training at this time to see how the new implants will affect things. I have partially trained the Cybernetics skill and the Caldari Frigate skill, all the rest are new to the queue. All my implants are basic +3 implants; Ive left the fancy ones for later.

Plugging in the implants was surprisingly simple. I was expecting a cut scene or something showing how gruesome it would be to insert an implant --- after all, they said that it is impossible to take an implant out without destroying it so surely the installation would be quite complex. Nope. Select the implant, plug it in, done. New stats are now 23 points for Per, Mem, Wil, and Int and 22 points for Cha.

The new training times after implant installation:
Hull Upgrades (2x) Level 1 11m 10s
Cybernetics (3x) Level 2 1h 41m 10s
Drones (1x) Level 2 33m 47s
Scout Drone Operation (1x) Level 2 33m 47s
Gunnery (1x) Level 3 3h 10m 53s
Mechanics (1x) Level 3 3h 10m 53s
Industry (1x) Level 2 33m 47s
Mining (1x) Level 3 3h 10m 53s
Refining (1x) Level 2 33m 47s
Refining (1x) Level 3 3h 10m 53s
Survey (1x) Level 1 7m 15s
Astrometrics (3x) Level 2 1h 41m 15s
Caldari Frigate (2x) Level 4 1d 7h 29m 54s

Note that the Hull Upgrade time is not accurate, for some reason my training resumed automatically.

That means a difference of around:
Hull Upgrades 7.5m
Cybernetics 16.17m
Drones 5.05m
Scout Drone Operation 5.05m
Gunnery 28.62m
Mechanics 28.62m
Industry 5.05m
Mining 28.62m
Refining 5.05m
Refining 28.62m
Survey 1.08m
Astrometrics 15.18m
Caldari Frigate 283.47m

Total time saved for this queue: 457 minutes or 7 hours, 37 minutes, and 4 seconds. Not bad!

5 May 2014 8:50PM

Resumed playing after dinnertime. Ive finished the Business and Exploration agent missions and started off on the Industry agent. Im looking forward to finishing the next two Military agents as well tonight, but itll probably have to wait until tomorrow.

I had a bit of an adventure trying to find a spare manufacturing line for my make 2x Civilian Afterburner mission but I finally found one just a jump from my base! Bwahahaha! I made sure I got in straight away.

I also managed to hook up with Nixer in the game. Its nice to be able to chat to someone while waiting for my production line to finish up. I also hope to get more professional help. Ill be finishing the basic agents soon and will thus have a bit more free time later and Im not sure what I want to be doing just yet. I need more ISK so I definitely want to find ways of making money quickly.

I also had my son play with the old trial account with about 10 days left, just so he can have a bit of experience and try out EVE. Hes doing the tutorial missions like me and seems to be having a good time and is following the game quite well. Ill see how he does later on when he gets to the combat missions. Still, itll be fun having a wingman I can shout at (he's in the other room) when were exploring wormholes and scanning sites and such.

[Hmmm.... apologies for the wall of text, might need to edit and break up with some nice pics.]

- Ice
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3949555 - 05/06/14 12:20 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Quickcord Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord
Quickcord  Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord

Maryland
Hey Ice,
How old is your character? Did you just create today? I am sitting on a Prototype Cerebral Accelerator(+9 to all attributes) that you can have if you want. The catch is it only works if your character is new. After the character is 14 days old its useless. Let me know if you want it and a station to set up a contract for you.

Quickcord

NZXT Phantom 630 Case
AMD FX 8350
16GB Corsair Vengence, ASUS Crosshair Formula Z
RX480, Samsung 840 Pro 128 Gig SSD, WD 1TB HDD
Corsair TX850w PSU
#3949645 - 05/06/14 08:28 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Oh, sweet! My character is 2 days old. Check PMs please!

One downside though --- I have five implants plugged in already, does that mean I'll have to unplug one of them?

- Ice
#3949745 - 05/06/14 01:46 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
it uses a different slot

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3949800 - 05/06/14 03:18 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
tn_prvteye Offline
Captain Awesome
tn_prvteye  Offline
Captain Awesome

Nash'Vegas, TN, USA
Just remember if your character gets ganked, all the implants are gone. Not your ship getting blown up, that happens all the time, but your capsule. So stay away from Low and Null-sec. Because you will get ganked. Alot. Mercilessly. I occasionally hop in to kill some pirates, but 9 times out of 10, a player warps in, webs me, and kills me. Usually without me even firing one shot.

Welcome back to Hell! biggrin

"Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."
-Dwight D Eisenhower
#3950125 - 05/07/14 03:54 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Quickcord Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord
Quickcord  Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord

Maryland
Ice,

Contract created at your location. Check PM. 35 jumps to get there.duh

Quickcord

NZXT Phantom 630 Case
AMD FX 8350
Corsair TX850w PSU
#3950236 - 05/07/14 12:50 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: Quickcord]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
35 jumps to get there

Love those short hops. Really fun in a Freighter. cuss

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3951112 - 05/09/14 12:01 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Got it, Quickcord! Thanks for the awesome gift! Sorry you had to jump so far... I'd have met you halfway.

What do you think of the "blog," guys? More pics? More detail? It seems like it's a wall of text at the moment, but I'm too busy playing to snap pics. I really should turn on FRAPS next time so the screenshots just gets saved to the folder automatically.

- Ice
#3951126 - 05/09/14 12:38 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Quickcord Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord
Quickcord  Offline
XBL/PSN-Quickcord

Maryland
No worries. It wasn't bad, I was just tired. Glad you could use it!

Quickcord

NZXT Phantom 630 Case
AMD FX 8350
Corsair TX850w PSU
#3951252 - 05/09/14 12:02 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
BTW once you've done all tutorials the Sisters of Eve mission arc is a great way to see a bit of the Eve universe, earn some cash (and even ships) and is a lot of fun.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3951458 - 05/09/14 06:05 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, if I could find where to start that mission arc.

- Ice
#3951493 - 05/09/14 07:52 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Get EveMon - a third part skill,planning program. It will help you plan you skill training and set up a queue to follow.
For example, if you want to fly a certain ship or use a particular module, you can select it and the skills needed will automatically be added to the queue. Note this is a planning app, and while it will produce a queue to follow, you have to set the I game queue up manually.

Im. Getting the ol Eve itch again. I've got a nice little one man Indy corp I may revive.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#3951500 - 05/09/14 08:07 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Yeah, if I could find where to start that mission arc.

Talk to Sister Alitura at Arnon IX - Moon 3 - Sisters of EVE Bureau.

And yeah, EVEMon is a must. As is the EveFittingTool.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 05/09/14 08:08 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#3951568 - 05/09/14 10:55 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'm guessing you're an EVE player as well, Para? Thanks for the info!

I've got EVEMon and EFT, but still mucking around and finding some skills to quickly level up. I leave the 4+ or 12+ hour skill trainings for when I'm at work or go to sleep.

- Ice
#3951573 - 05/09/14 11:26 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Im. Getting the ol Eve itch again. I've got a nice little one man Indy corp I may revive.

Read ALL (5) the Dev Blogs on the new Industrial changes and you might change your mind. I have been HARD into research, invention and industry for the last 5 yrs. These new changes are DRASTIC and seem very biased against folks in High Sec, just like most of the changes in the last couple of years.

These latest changes have me contemplating joining a friends Merc outfit instead of all the industry grind. Hell I've got enough isk to just coast for awhile, but I have always spent just part of my PROFIT to pay for my accounts and hate to change that. For now I am just building as many exhumers, freighters and Orcas as I can for a "savings account".

OH, and LOTS of T2 combat ships and mods.....just in case biggrin

I hate flying junk......

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3951687 - 05/10/14 04:12 AM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I had been building rigs and few high demand modules in high before I let the sub lapse last time - is high sec building getting hit hard?

I spent a good bit of time in 0.0 as well, maybe I'll just go look for some goodfights if the indy doesn't work out.

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 05/10/14 04:13 AM.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#3951847 - 05/10/14 03:33 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
is high sec building getting hit hard

Much more costly mainly, and, at least for me, a very confusing bunch of changes to the whole Science/Industry interfaces.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3951896 - 05/10/14 05:49 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: - Ice]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: - Ice
I'm guessing you're an EVE player as well, Para? Thanks for the info!

I've got EVEMon and EFT, but still mucking around and finding some skills to quickly level up. I leave the 4+ or 12+ hour skill trainings for when I'm at work or go to sleep.

Not playing ATM but yes, I've spent quite some time in EVE over the years.

#3951899 - 05/10/14 06:00 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: Nixer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Nixer
is high sec building getting hit hard

Much more costly mainly, and, at least for me, a very confusing bunch of changes to the whole Science/Industry interfaces.

Costly due to the change in the way the cost of manufacturing slots is calculated now? Something about scaling with the number of jobs, but slots are unlimited IIRC.

Didn't I read that they removed the standings requirement for anchoring a POS too? (Of course you gotta find an empty moon) Wouldn't that mitigate the increased cost (at the cost of having to run a POS)

-Robert Heinlein
#3951982 - 05/10/14 10:57 PM Re: EVE Online newbie POV [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yeah cost per job is WAY up....including in your own POS.

Didn't I read that they removed the standings requirement for anchoring a POS too?

Yea made me really happy I had done about a 2 yr grind to get really high standings to anchor my POS's. rolleyes

Refining is getting screwed with also now, again in favor of null sec.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.