Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#3942630 - 04/21/14 09:28 PM More overrated films  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

I don't necessarily mean films that are controversial or that cultivate strong feelings one way or the other (for example, half the people in the world like the Star Wars prequels, the other half hate them), I mean films that are supposed to be watched or seen by everyone and that get near universal acclaim from audiences and critics.

There Will Be Blood: Do I think Daniel Day Lewis is awesome? Yes, certainly. And yet with this film, I was looking around the theatre at the other audience's reactions, wondering if There Will Be a Story. Just couldn't get into it, people can throw all the analysis they want about the Daniel Plainview vs. Eli Sunday battle for supremacy, about how they are similar characters but yet contrasting in abilities, or about Daniel Plainview's apparent inability to connect with other human beings, I came out of this movie satisfied that I didn't miss anything. I really wanted to see this one, my hopes were perhaps too high, I thought- but I still don't get critics' reviews giving it so much praise.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire I slipped into this one never watching the first film or never reading the books. Seems rather boring for the first hour or so, only even getting to the meat of the action when they actually land in the wilderness- and then it really doesn't get that exciting. The old Lord of the Flies is still better.

The King's Speech- boring but average film featuring a petulant, spoiled king with a lisp. Geoffrey Rush is one of this generation's best actors, the best thing going for this film- still a mediocre film, calling the king Bertie was about the last straw and was attempting too much to be sentimental. Seems to confirm suspicion that period films about the British monarchy might often be pushed ahead of the line of other more deserving films.

Gravity- Zzzzz. Unlike the others, this one doesn't even have good acting performances. Ultimately I consider it superficial and sentimental.

My number one all time overrated film is still Citizen Cain- because it often makes critics' best film of all time picks, it's hard to conceive of any one film meeting such a standard. I think it tends to fall in the classic fallacy that something that's old and well known becomes a classic and becomes immune to modern criticism.

No one gets out of here alive.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3942634 - 04/21/14 09:40 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

The Departed - Goodfellas was the film that should have won, among perhaps others- The Departed was like the Academy finally just acknowledged that they were going to toss Scorsese a bone.

#3942639 - 04/21/14 09:45 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Of course it's all personal preference, and different people get different things out of the movies they watch.

I haven't seen The King's Speech nor THG: Catching Fire, so I can't comment on them, but I largely agree with you on Gravity and There Will Be Blood.. I'd add No Country For Old Men to the list as well.

I don't know if I'd say it's best movie of all time, but I did like Citizen Kane. It might have been because of my expectations, just thinking it would be the same as a bunch of other old movies that I'd seen, since I didn't watch it until I was in my 30s, but I was surprised by how much I liked it, and how I enjoyed how it was shot. Plus, kind of like 2001: A Space Odyssey, I think a lot of the appeal was for the technical aspects of how it was shot at the time. Capabilities that were introduced were surpassed later, but it still stands out as a ground-breaker.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3942647 - 04/21/14 09:51 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
The Departed - Goodfellas was the film that should have won, among perhaps others- The Departed was like the Academy finally just acknowledged that they were going to toss Scorsese a bone.

Well at least The Departed was better than Wolf of Wallstreet, talking about overrated.

#3942656 - 04/21/14 10:14 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Star wars.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#3942660 - 04/21/14 10:20 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: McGonigle]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: McGonigle
Star wars.

Not if you're an 8 year old.

#3942662 - 04/21/14 10:24 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Harold and Maude

All the girls you know who like this movie (and the sensitive dudes who claim they do to impress girls) - would they feel different about it if the characters were reversed?

I like black comedies, but this one always puzzled me. I know people who own it, watching it once was enough for me.

#3942672 - 04/21/14 11:04 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
It is personal preference but I agree with the spirit of the post that there are "must see" movies that I don't see the allure or excitement that the rest of the society and its culture is twitter pated by in that moment.

I personally liked "There Will be Blood". I like a slower-paced movie and some ambiguity that leaves you searching and wondering and filling in the blanks IF it is written well and carried by the actors. This was one I saw a few years after it released and really did enjoy it.

I agree about Gravity. Everything I heard was that it was the year's best. I bought it and watched it. I enjoyed it for the special effects and alone-in-space plot but it wasn't an exceptional movie in my opinion by any means. It was okay but not an Oscar-worthy movie, story-wise or acting-wise.

I agree with the Hunger Games movie. I did not see the one you saw but the first one. Saw it with my sister for something to do and to see what the hubbub was about. I loathed it. Can't quite put my finger on it but I hated it. My dislike is probably something spiritually-related but like I said I haven't been able to hammer it down yet.

I recently bought "The King's Speech" on the cheap. I also enjoyed that one. I like character studies and it was an interesting story to me. I really appreciated the two main character's relationship and loved the little dialogue they engaged in that revealed some of the King's child-related hurts that he grew up with that at least helped in creating his speech impediment at least as far as the movie's plot tells us. Great acting was done there in my opinion.

Sorry I couldn't come up with any of my own right now. Your all's offerings caught my mind first.

One that comes to mind though is "A History of Violence". Wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Saw it with my folks. I think we were all to embarrassed to say hey, "we can walk out of this trash of a movie if we want". I don't mind violence if it serves a purpose and is not there just for the sake of being there in a movie's plot. Something off about mixing gratuitous sex and violence in an exalted way combined with a story with no happy ending and every character is morally bankrupt and acting more animal than human. Just how I perceived it. On the other hand I really enjoyed "No Country for Old Men". I enjoyed the characters. The violence was horrible and the main bad guy was demented scum but it was an interesting modern sort of western period piece/character study with and intriguing cat and mouse suspense plot. I especially loved Tommy Lee Jone's character and monologues that were sort of prophetic meanderings of a man lamenting an old world lost to a newer, unfamiliar one that strangely is darker and more bizarre than the previous one. Just when you think time is the creator of increased civility its actually the bringer of the opposite.

Last edited by Coot; 04/21/14 11:06 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3942679 - 04/21/14 11:25 PM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
Anything by Christopher Nolan!

duck

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3942692 - 04/22/14 12:06 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My picks for most overrated films tend to be horror films because quite frankly I don't find these horror films to be scary at all when it seems the rest of the world is saying the opposite.

1. The Blair Witch Project - I'm glad that I only saw this on DVD and didn't waste money on a ticket.

2. The Conjuring - Same thing as Blair Witch. I didn't find this movie scary at all.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3942695 - 04/22/14 12:17 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
I'm with you on there will be boredom.

The one that sticks out to me is not a movie at all. I hate almost everything about the new battle star series. How that garbage made it past 2-3 seasons is beyond me. I kept seeing people saying scifi junkies should check it out. Well I did. The characters were shallow and inconsistent. The writers seemed to have a plan for 2 seasons and then had to make the rest up as they went. I'll stop there...I've got pages.

I am in the dislike the prequels group. Three movies to show that my favorite character was really just a whinny little bit ch. instead off watching him crush the arrogant Jedi, i see a character whose only light saber victory was against an old man and a room of snotty children. Lucas you bas terd.

S

MWO callsign Feetwet
#3942696 - 04/22/14 12:36 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Feetwet,

Couldn't agree more. I was so disappointed, there was no badassery from Vader. Just an emo teenager.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3942703 - 04/22/14 12:51 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5

There Will Be Blood: Do I think Daniel Day Lewis is awesome? Yes, certainly. And yet with this film, I was looking around the theatre at the other audience's reactions, wondering if There Will Be a Story. Just couldn't get into it, people can throw all the analysis they want about the Daniel Plainview vs. Eli Sunday battle for supremacy, about how they are similar characters but yet contrasting in abilities, or about Daniel Plainview's apparent inability to connect with other human beings, I came out of this movie satisfied that I didn't miss anything. I really wanted to see this one, my hopes were perhaps too high, I thought- but I still don't get critics' reviews giving it so much praise.

Agree 100% - I was SO bored during that film.

I found "Forrest Gump" and "Benjamin Button" to be equally tedious, Benjamin Buttom moreso because of the ridiculous length of the film.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#3942708 - 04/22/14 01:17 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
The Thin Red Line

Just seemed to go on forever without much happening. It had a few decent scenes, but it was just way too long. I went to see it with a friend, and he thought I wanted to stay, and I thought he did, so we sat there for four hours. Afterwards we found out we both would have been happy to leave, and agreed to say so next time.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3942711 - 04/22/14 01:38 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
I agree 100% on Thin Red Line.
The point of the movie was made in the first hour. The other 3 were a massive waste of time.

I really liked There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men ( which was the best "modern western" made maybe ever.) and Gravity (but I saw it in 3d Max.)

Disappointments.
Avatar was a shameless remake of Dances with Wolves.
Godfather III, they should have paid Robert Duvall his due to play Tom Hagen.
Phantom Menace, no more needs to be said.

Last edited by Tarnsman; 04/22/14 01:40 AM.
#3942719 - 04/22/14 02:17 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Feetwet]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Feetwet
The one that sticks out to me is not a movie at all. I hate almost everything about the new battle star series. How that garbage made it past 2-3 seasons is beyond me. I kept seeing people saying scifi junkies should check it out. Well I did. The characters were shallow and inconsistent. The writers seemed to have a plan for 2 seasons and then had to make the rest up as they went. I'll stop there...I've got pages.

I can't say I've met many people who dislike the new Battlestar. I am a fan both though, as I loved the original series and thought it was light years ahead of Star Trek from the same era. IMO the new Battlestar is pretty much the best Sci-Fi series ever put on cable TV.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3942726 - 04/22/14 02:42 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
"The Master" with Joaquin Phoenix. I really didn't hear much about it but the accolades on the cover praised it and I thought it sounded interesting.

The premise and characters were potentially interesting but ended up not being enjoyable because they didn't really come to any kind of fruition due to fact that the plot(if you can call it that)had nowhere to go, no direction. The director and writer seemed to have the same dysfunctional brain as the main character, just winging their way through it as he did his life, shiftless, pointless, filling it with any manner of debauchery to keep himself detached from reality. It made no real sense and seemed to try too hard to be an artsy fartsy film as opposed to a good film with a good story.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3942742 - 04/22/14 03:57 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Gravity = George Clooney = sploosh lol!

I didn't get this movie either and talk about unrealistic.... hair stays perfect in space right?

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3942744 - 04/22/14 04:13 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Feetwet]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Feetwet

I am in the dislike the prequels group. Three movies to show that my favorite character was really just a whinny little bit ch. instead off watching him crush the arrogant Jedi, i see a character whose only light saber victory was against an old man and a room of snotty children. Lucas you bas terd.

Maybe they should redo those. Just say, you know what, forget what you just saw, here is the real story, and do it right. They'd make a ton of money, everyone who stuck out and kept coming back for all three episodes will go for a redone, better set of movies, and Lucas can make millions again. He's not at all a prima donna who can do no wrong in his own mind. Certainly the people working for him wouldn't be just yes men and have the ability to criticize the script when it's do-do

#3942777 - 04/22/14 09:14 AM Re: More overrated films [Re: Kontakt5]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
A Clockwork Orange. This was one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. I don't have a problem with violence when it serves a purpose, but this movie celebrated violence for the sake of violence. The story did absolutely nothing for me, and I regretted wasting time on the movie that I could have put to better use defrosting my freezer with my fingernails.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.