bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: piper
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
I know Bisher, it took 15 mins of my life that i wont get back...

What you're forgetting is that a lot of folks have data caps with their ISP.
Pretty sure that's what bish is referring to.

Yes Furbs me man, I do have a bit more character than that. When I pout I've got good reason smile

#3941647 - 04/19/14 02:49 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: Mastiff]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mastiff
Originally Posted By: bisher
Originally Posted By: TheBlackPenguin
Originally Posted By: mugwump
Meh. I can't be assed to uninstall and re-install the whole thing yet again. Someone let me know when this thing is finished. I'll take a look at it then.

Such is the nature of these tests, we'll let you know smile.

Will there be a time when a complete reinstall will not be the nature of these tests. I'm good for one more reinstaall so gotta make it count

so don't partake in the alpha, if you cant be bothered with changes like this.

As stated above it's not a bother. WHAT IS A BOTHER IS SOME OF US HAVE LIMITED DATA TRANSFER. UNDERSTAND THIS.

I realized I was taking a chance, but I'm still pissed at having to reinstall the whole game. I don't think I've been disrespectful in my whining and complaining.

#3941649 - 04/19/14 02:50 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: bisher]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: mugwump
Meh. I can't be assed to uninstall and re-install the whole thing yet again. Someone let me know when this thing is finished. I'll take a look at it then.

Such is the nature of these tests, we'll let you know smile.

Will there be a time when a complete reinstall will not be the nature of these tests. I'm good for one more reinstaall so gotta make it count

To be fair, we went the better part of two months before having to just now re-install. Yes there have been weekly updates, but that'd been for new content.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3941651 - 04/19/14 02:53 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Jesus H Missouri I'm being fair

My question was serious, once we have build that does not require a complete reinstall I will reinstall and be able to fly this sim again.

I'm not sure I can be more fair and reasonable

Mastiff, explain to me how your response is helpful in any way

#3941661 - 04/19/14 03:12 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
I doubt they or anyone for that matter can say for certain when they have a build that won't require re-installing, except when it goes gold or just before that. A lot of things change during development which means the game code changes significantly, so you can't just patch a file.

So I think it's a matter of waiting or taking a gamble of when to re-download

smile

#3941667 - 04/19/14 03:19 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
A complete reinstall of a beta (it's alpha now?) seems unusual to me, I'd expected updates. I don't know why I had this expectation

#3941669 - 04/19/14 03:26 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Doubt it has a real tag, it's an in-development title that's about it. Can't base what other developers do with their games and engines.

#3941677 - 04/19/14 03:50 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
How many of you guys have been involved in a real Beta? Every genuine closed Beta test that I was involved with had me download a new game client at least three times during the beta period.

Yes it is irritating but remember, you guys essentially are testing the game.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3941689 - 04/19/14 04:45 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: Sethos88]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: Sethos88
Can't base what other developers do with their games and engines.

Though this is all I have to go by

Yes I"ve never been involved in a 'closed beta test' and this is a good point

#3941829 - 04/19/14 11:02 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: bisher]  
Desode Offline
Ps3 & 360 GT : DESODE
Desode  Offline

Can't base what other developers do with their games and engines.

Though this is all I have to go by

Yes I've never been involved in a 'closed beta test' and this is a good point

As Someone who is fairly Old and has done lots of testing for many games, it is normal for this to happen in a Alpha/Beta Build.

Bisher,, Is there a friend that you have that does not have a bandwith cap ? The Sim isn't huge in size at this point ,, Maybe you could go to a friend's house and download it onto a Flash stick or even a DVD then reinstall it ??
Could maybe make a post on the official forums and ask if there is a way you could do it that way ? You are probably not the only one in this situation.

I personally feel your pain, while I have no Cap on my interslut,, I do have just Dsl and it takes me a Long time ! LOL

Just a Idea ?

Sincerely Desode

Forumrunners.com When you crave teamwork at the Highest Level ! Were waiting for you !

#3941843 - 04/20/14 12:10 AM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Sorry Bish, i didnt think of the people with download caps.

This is pretty normal though, ive done a few other Alpha/Beta tests and expected it.

#3941882 - 04/20/14 02:46 AM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

I think I see where the 15 year old grinder comment comes from, but one thing I know for sure I would have been combining Christmas and birthday gifts to get Il2:BOS even at 15 years of age.

Maybe things were different?

#3941937 - 04/20/14 07:30 AM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: TheBlackPenguin]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
I think I see where the 15 year old grinder comment comes from, but one thing I know for sure I would have been combining Christmas and birthday gifts to get Il2:BOS even at 15 years of age.

Now kids do that to get Call of Duty 39 Collector's Edition with a season pass and that extra DLC that gives your weapon a duck camo.

#3941984 - 04/20/14 11:50 AM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: Wklink]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Wklink
How many of you guys have been involved in a real Beta? Every genuine closed Beta test that I was involved with had me download a new game client at least three times during the beta period.

Yes it is irritating but remember, you guys essentially are testing the game.

Meh. At times, I maintained 4 clients installed and each update / each day was 70-200mb. This was for DCS World.

#3942392 - 04/21/14 02:03 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: Sethos88]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

Now kids do that to get Call of Duty 39 Collector's Edition with a season pass and that extra DLC that gives your weapon a duck camo.

Yeah, it's just a fact of life that when I was younger consoles were a different universe. There were no "cross platform" titles. You had console games on Nintendo and you had PC games that ran the gamut from strategy to sim and in later years FPS.

I remember my dad bought me FS2 for a present when I was a teen for our Atari 800.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3943424 - 04/23/14 06:35 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
The grinding/unlocking model worries me too.

If I pay zero dollars for a game and then have to grind or pay for unlockable content, new aircraft etc, that is fine

But if I pay 95 dollars for a game, as I did for the alpha access to BoS, I expect the full game, not something which I then have to play/grind to unlock.

It will be doubly annoying if features and aircraft that are unlocked now as part of early access, are locked and unavailable when the game goes gold!

They wouldn't do that would they?

H

[Linked Image]
#3943456 - 04/23/14 07:40 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: HeinKill]  
Desode Offline
Desode  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill
The grinding/unlocking model worries me too.

If I pay zero dollars for a game and then have to grind or pay for unlockable content, new aircraft etc, that is fine

But if I pay 95 dollars for a game, as I did for the alpha access to BoS, I expect the full game, not something which I then have to play/grind to unlock.

It will be doubly annoying if features and aircraft that are unlocked now as part of early access, are locked and unavailable when the game goes gold!

They wouldn't do that would they?

H

I agree with this also, and it concerns me too.
Sims have a very adult audience and hence we pay $95 for a game, yet lots of us have sometimes limited time to fly each week.
With that said having to grind to get planes and features would be a Complete drag.

I don't ever remember a Sim where I paid for it and then had to grind to get to my plane!
Especially at this price point.

How will they do this for people that buy a plane ? Say the ones that don't pay for premium ?
Surely they wouldn't make you pay $20 for a AC and then have to unlock it to fly it ??

Desode

Forumrunners.com When you crave teamwork at the Highest Level ! Were waiting for you !

#3943484 - 04/23/14 08:47 PM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I really hope they don't think that it is specifically the grinding itself that the young folks like. If they're looking to the (presumably) relative success of WT as an example, they're missing the forest for the trees. They're going to need a ton more aircraft (which couldn't possibly be modelled except in their superficial performance details at that quantity), a lot more theaters (necessarily smaller for fast airquake action), and spend a lot of time tuning their third person mouse-flight controls for the lion's share of their audience. I don't see this happening.

Anyways, I can't really judge until the details on what they're planning. What they have now is pretty good considering it's not finished. My general attitude, though, is that I paid my $100 because I can appreciate that it's harder to make a serious sim these days, and if they take the ROF route, I'd be happy to keep paying for addon planes and theaters as they're released.

I can't comment on how well ROF is doing, business-wise, but it's still going strong. To my mind, they hit on very nearly the perfect business model for a modern, serious sim. I've very gladly given 777 at least $150 over the last couple years and received great new content in return. I'd rather hoped that BOS would be following that route.

Anyways, when it's all said and done, I expect they probably know what they're doing, but a few questionable decisions could easily derail the whole thing.

#3943672 - 04/24/14 05:44 AM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: letterboy1]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Users on another forum have told me Founder supporters of the early access version will have ten aircraft unlocked at launch, but the weapons mods and skins which are unlockable will have to be earned.

IE the Ju87D currently comes with tank killer underwing cannon pods as a mod. Once it goes gold, you'll have the vanilla Ju87, but not the cannon pods. Those will have to be unlocked through the campaign.

I'm kind of OK with that. Depending on what weapons mods are locked. If standard alternate bomb loadouts for the Ju87 are 'locked' it will be v annoying. I can live with having to unlock something like cannon pods though, as long as I do get the promised ten hi fidelity aircraft in their vanilla form. I can see it might annoy online gamers tho - some of those mods will assist online play, such as the ability to remove the headrest and add extra armour plate.

Still, it might add an exta element to campaign play - complete a mission in the Ju87 tank buster and unlock the cannon pods... I'm open to try the idea.

H

[Linked Image]
#3943693 - 04/24/14 07:53 AM Re: Dev update 62 [Re: HeinKill]  
Desode Offline
Desode  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Users on another forum have told me Founder supporters of the early access version will have ten aircraft unlocked at launch, but the weapons mods and skins which are unlockable will have to be earned.

IE the Ju87D currently comes with tank killer underwing cannon pods as a mod. Once it goes gold, you'll have the vanilla Ju87, but not the cannon pods. Those will have to be unlocked through the campaign.

I'm kind of OK with that. Depending on what weapons mods are locked. If standard alternate bomb loadouts for the Ju87 are 'locked' it will be v annoying. I can live with having to unlock something like cannon pods though, as long as I do get the promised ten hi fidelity aircraft in their vanilla form. I can see it might annoy online gamers tho - some of those mods will assist online play, such as the ability to remove the headrest and add extra armour plate.

Still, it might add an exta element to campaign play - complete a mission in the Ju87 tank buster and unlock the cannon pods... I'm open to try the idea.

H

Sadly that doesn't make me feel any better.
I'm happy for you guys that were "Founders" But Since I couldn't give my $95 until last month,, it looks like I will be sitting in a pile of crap for the first 3 months after release..
I really hope they fix this for those of us that were willing to pay for the Premium Early access.

I say,,, Let the Founders have Everything Unlocked on day one, and Let Everyone that bought Premium Early access (before the release) Get all the aircraft in their vanilla form Unlocked on day one.

With that said,,
I still think it is INSANE to pay this kind of money for a Sim and have to Grind for anything,, especially planes !
Don't get me wrong I love this Sim, and that's why I paid the $95, but still having to Unlock AC in a game that costs that much is just wrong.

Desode

Last edited by Desode; 04/24/14 07:54 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.