Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3935520 - 04/07/14 09:55 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

7 Days to Die: Feeling pretty meh about it right now.

ARMA 3: Got the expensive pre-order version. Almost never play it. Bit disappointed.

Assetto Corso: Could have potential, and feels great with a wheel.

Betrayer: Don't like it.

DayZ: Mixed feelings. It's so clunky and entirely up to the players whether you'll get any enjoyment out of it. Will probably never feel like anything other than an ARMA 2 mod.

Dead State: Might have potential. Got frustrated with it during first early access.

Door Kickers: Haven't played much. Not really big on it.

Expeditions: Conquistador: Great game. Probably my favorite out of all the early access/crowdfunded games.

IL-2 Sturmovik BoS: Great potential, mostly waiting for a more complete product to mess around with.

NEO Scavenger: Got 5 hours of entertainment out of it so far. Hard to recommend though.

Project CARS: Been with it since the start. Probably has the biggest potential of any of them so far.

Shadowrun Returns: Good game.

Star Forge: Got it on a Steam sale. Regretting it now.

Takedown: Red Sabre: Worst piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of pre-ordering.

Victory: Age of Racing: Got it in a bundle deal dirt cheap. Don't feel so bad for not liking it.

So yeah, not a very good success rate with me personally, but I'm probably pickier than most people.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3935527 - 04/07/14 10:30 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Assetto Corsa - Developing at a rapid pace, defiantly worth every penny, very good physics so far. A little short on tracks and racing cars (Lots of street cars) but more are in the pipeline. The street cars and drifting are probably what helps it sell, so no complaints. This is what kept me from selling my wheel.

rFactor2 - The demo was bad enough I almost quit sim racing on the spot because for me it was RF1 with some new clothes and a bad UI, but against my better judgement I got a minimal license for the historic cars and tracks to run off line. I two upgrades so far, so it was kind of a waste of a subscription price for me. Doubt I do it again.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#3935542 - 04/07/14 11:13 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
DCS Mig 21. I contributed in July 2012 thinking it might be along by Christmas.

Getting close now, though!

#3935550 - 04/07/14 11:37 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
A mixed bag it seems but Asseto Corsa is a consistent feature in a lot of these posts. I will have to spring for that one.

#3935552 - 04/07/14 11:41 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Mount & Blade - probably the best 12$ investment in a game (I "joined" at v0.623 iirc), at a time when this kind of funding wasn't as widespread as today.

ArmA3 - as an OFP veteran of the first weeks after official release it feels almost like an obligation to support an ongoing project that gave me so many hours of entertainment.

DayZ - as others have already noted, progress is rather slow and not always in a direction that i would prefer, but overall I am still optimistic that something good will come out of it.

#3935556 - 04/07/14 11:52 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

OOps yeah forgot that one

Interstellar Marines -- MP only on one map as far as i can tell.

#3935574 - 04/07/14 12:37 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Aiobhill Offline
Aiobhill  Offline

Project CARS - so close and yet so far; however if they get multiplayer and physics right, it will be an almost perfect game.

rFactor 2 - haven't installed it in the last 10 or 12 months; dunno why, but I have a childlike confidence they will get it right and racing against other slow, old men will be lots of fun. In 2018. Maybe.

#3935579 - 04/07/14 01:06 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Dervish Offline
Hotshot
Dervish  Offline
Hotshot

Just sent $100 to a lady raising money for a double lung transplant, but I'd raid the couch cushions for a new Mig Alley.

FTX Global
#3935585 - 04/07/14 01:28 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Is pCars like forza / GT (PS) ? Or is it just another rFactor clone?

#3935598 - 04/07/14 01:46 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

FTL was my first crowd funded game and it was a success and a lot of fun to play.

That new R6 game (takedown) was a complete bust. What a steaming pile of sh it. I think the community funded the wrong game with that one because the RogueSpear guys were doing Ground Branch which seemed like it was a better game by a better team.

Planetary Annihilation it really shaping up to be a fun game. I played it yesterday for a few hours and had a blast.

Castle Story is ok but I am not sure they know what to do with the game. I thought it would be more RTS but really it is just a sandbox building game with yellow plushies. Granted the game is playable and fun but it is pointless unless you just like building things.

StarCitizen is shaping up with the dogfighting module coming out soon. They have sunk so much money into the game I cant see it flopping but to date they have not really shown any gameplay (other than that #%&*$# DF video a few months back to show why they were delaying). I remain hopefully optimistic.

7 days to die is fun but it is also brutal and I get bored with it before I really get crafting or building... or the zombies keep killing me and I rage quite.

Nether is a joke. I wish I would not have bought into that one. I dont like the devs or the game or the direction the game is going. But I bought it one rainy saturday when I was bored so I guess it served it's purpose.

The Dead Linger is also a joke. It has potential but it is just not fun to play at all nor is it optimized even slightly. I have a feeling that this game will die before it is released.

Battle of Stalingrad - Devs lied to us to secure preorders then refused refunds when the truth came out. Slowly they have fixed the limited access but the whole thing has left me not trusting the devs and not interested in the game. The game itself is pretty good and progressing fairly fast. So as long as you are ok with the dev's shady tactics I guess it would be considered a win.

Last edited by Master; 04/07/14 01:53 PM.
#3935602 - 04/07/14 01:58 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

For years we complained about new games that were buggy or unfinished, well now devs sell games, or parts of games that we know will be incomplete or buggy and we love it.

I do have a brief smile cross my face while flying in my heavily modded IL2 when I think of those that spent 100 bucks to fly two planes around a small map for a year.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#3935615 - 04/07/14 02:22 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

Star Citizen & Wasteland 2.

I'm starting to get concerned about SC due to the scope creep and that they are already several months behind schedule. In this case I think they got way too much money and now they are blowing through it like crazy. Don't they have a hundred or two employees now? And they can't get something out on time?

I wanted to back Elite but it was too late - that's when I started cutting costs due to my soon-to-arrive twin girls smile

The silver lining for SC is that by the time it comes out I might actually have time to play it smile

W2 at least have an excuse for slipping - less money, small team - but they still have a lot of work to show for it.

#3935702 - 04/07/14 04:21 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Assetto Corsa: looking good!

Il-2: BoS: I paid $50 back in Oct/Nov, looking good!

Arma 3: just as good as Arma releases before it but I paid only $38 for going in early, win-win!

Takedown: Should be called Letdown. Obviously they needed more money than their investors gave them, a LOT more, but they got shafted and so we did too.

MiG-21bis: Almost there...(we're too close!!)...almost there...(loosen up!!)

Not looking to go for anything else right now, waiting for AC, MiG, and BoS before I'd consider it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3935896 - 04/07/14 09:41 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Warbirds]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Originally Posted By: Warbirds
For years we complained about new games that were buggy or unfinished, well now devs sell games, or parts of games that we know will be incomplete or buggy and we love it.

I do have a brief smile cross my face while flying in my heavily modded IL2 when I think of those that spent 100 bucks to fly two planes around a small map for a year.

Yeap, humans are weird. The two I got was because of the low price.

Kerbal Space Program. Hard to beat the $20 deal and they had a demo for you to try for free. Don't regret it for a minute.

Planetary Annihilation. Again 20 bucks. So far looking good... although their always online beta version sucks big time (should be removed for final version).

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#3935897 - 04/07/14 09:45 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Rakov Offline
Rakov  Offline

MechWarrior online 120 for me 60 for one boy... That's to start, not mentioning Phoenix packs or Hero Mechs...

BattleTech is my bread and butter. Is this game what it should or could be? No. Is it my precious? Yes.

#3935904 - 04/07/14 09:55 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Kerbal Space Program is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played. I've been playing it since 2011 after seeing a post about it here on SimHQ. KSP has a great modding community, so there is a lot of player created content available. Some of it is very well done and greatly enhances the game.

I have been caught up in the whole Zombie survival genre recently (probably because I enjoyed watching the Walking Dead tv show so much). I like DayZ SA, although it seems buggy at the moment. Rust was fun for awhile but soon became monotonous. 7 Days to Die though has been a lot of fun.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3936027 - 04/08/14 02:11 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: No Name]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
Why the gaming world considers Dean Hall a hero is beyond me. Guy creates a broken gimpy sketch of a game, then abandons it. And he's a hero?

Gamers have low standards.

Warning..DayZ and Dean fan here biggrin

He hasn't abandoned it, you just have not followed what is happening or have read snippets of what passes for gaming 'journalism' these days. As already stated before launch he said when he wanted to back away, not many picked up on it until after launch via that shoddy intervoiew which was then taken down and rewritten owing to ..shoddy interview making a mountain out of a molehill, if it bleeds it leads.

I have never played an Alpha that has been so blatantly shoved in every ones face by the devs as ' DO NOT BUY THIS UNLESS YOU CAN PUT UP WITH A MESS ! MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT ENJOY IT'

As one of the launch screen states... ' Thanks for participating in the DayZ early access.This game is in Alpha and will be so for some time. This means you experience bugs, unfinished features, problematic design decision and many more things that will disrupt your gaming experience.'

Dean stated way before launch that it was not going to be something most people wanted, bare bones and broken, glitchy and terrible etc. Then people whine when it is.

To me he comes across as a solid guy, he has made mistakes and then stated he has, he is active across the forums, reddit, twitter, the dev site as well as accessible at places like Rezzed and others. He just seems stand up and is trying to make something a bit different than the normal cod type games smile

The biggest problem was the mod was out of control popular and i think most people thought the SA was good to go on day one.

What can i say, i like the guy, he gives as good as he gets and he doesn't rant and rave or chocolate coat stuff, he says it how it is and it is cool to see a young dev trying keep it real smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3936052 - 04/08/14 03:44 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

You know far more than I on this, so I'll bow to you on that subject. I read a piece on Eurogamer about his leaving the game. I spent a few days with the mod last year and it was one glitchy, janky, unfinished bugfest, taht looked like ass and played like ass. Though admittedly I was a clueless newb in the game world.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3936521 - 04/08/14 09:15 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

For everything dayz does bad it does an equal amount brilliantly else it would not be as popular as it is. The SA is a step up to the mod and once they get all the systems working it should be loads of fun. But it is far from a perfect game. Dean seems like a stand up guy. I talked with him for a bit one before dayz was big. Good guy and I look forward to what he comes up with on his own. I dont think he expected dayz to be a hit and I dont think he expected BIS to take over the way it did. But that is life.

Also, back to PCars. Can someone explain to me what it is? is it just rFactor or is it more like Forza?

Last edited by Master; 04/08/14 09:15 PM.
#3936585 - 04/09/14 12:02 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Here's another dislike for Nether. I spent 30 dollars on it as it "looked" good but that was about three months ago and I have yet to even play the game. That's right. A whole 30 dollars in the toilet. Some activation issue through their website prevented me from playing the game I just purchased and I have yet to try it again as I just don't care anymore. I'm hoping that one day it'll be magically completed and repaired and that I'll actually get something for my 30 dollars other than another non-highlighted name in my game list.

Betrayer I bought before release and thought the premise interesting. Recently I saw it went retail and it was majorly upgraded. I like it, very cool concept but maybe an acquired taste because of the graphical presentation. But it does create an otherworldly atmosphere visually and audibly when playing.

Arma3 - a little weird buying this title piecemeal as I'm an old OFP guy who always looked forward to the game's release on the store shelf but it is definitely heir to the OFP sim line. Still challenging but full of quality and content.

Star Forge - I think this was my first "early access" purchase in my life. The demo was interesting. The procedural nature of especially altitude was quite appealing. I recently tried it again after the update but it still feels extremely incomplete and just meh. I think its a small team but the pace is too slow for something I bought probably a year ago.

War of the Vikings - MaceUK gave me a beta key trial way back. I tried it and didn't like it. Ran like a turd on my machine and didn't look or play that great. Following it later on and seeing some of its progress I preordered it before release.(not early access) Looks and plays much, much better but like someone else said I too stink at it. It has an odd parry system tied to mouse movement.

Overgrowth - I don't remember exactly how I found this. Probably through a forum or video but I bought this early access and it really has an odd yet interesting concept and more importantly, a really tight, high quality physics and animation system I'd say that is at least on par with the Euphoria engine. The graphics and textures are quality seem quite polished for an early access. There's nothing in the way of a story or missions other than a sandbox and pre-programmed areas. If they can create a story and mission system it'll be awesome.

Planet Explorers - I played a demo awhile back and didn't care for it. I followed it for awhile and perused the forums and jumped in. The early access was much more than the demo I played. Basically a huge land mass that you can mine and harvest from ala Terraria to gain resources for crafting stuff. But it has a basic story mode and characters you can talk to and interact with. You can dig and the terrain actually morphs similar to the old Red Faction game. Its sort of like Terraria in a 3D world. I've enjoyed it but I have to be in the mood for it. Partly because like some many other mining games, its quite tedious especially at the start. It takes time to get to the fun stuff.

I really, really want BOS but have been waiting.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.