Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3935364 - 04/06/14 10:29 PM What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming?  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Just curious. How many have met their claimed potential?
Dodged any bullets with some that you DIDN'T buy into that are dead now?

DayZ...even the dev creator said it's never going to be right
Rust...a half thought out game with no point, changed direction midstream, but seems to still be in progress
7 Days to Die...good progress
Kenshi...bought in on a whim, so hard to grasp I have no idea if it's what it's supposed to be
Star Citizen....my grandkids will love this one when it comes out.

Bullets dodged:
Miner Wars...followed for over a year, decided not to pay in. Big promises, sounded great, but very slow progress. Game came out, very limited and dropped by the devs to move on to another project, Space Engineers. Far from the potential promised.

Elite: Dangerous....easily dodged due to the price of entry. The more money I put in, the sooner I want results. I've preserved this game as something to enjoy in the future by NOT going in on it and getting frustrated with it. Looking forward to release.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3935368 - 04/06/14 10:34 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Shadowrun Returns met their criteria and more than that.

Wasteland 2 is coming along well.
Star Citizen is coming along like it should also, looking forward to the dogfight module which should be out soon.
Project Eternity I haven't paid much attention to, but it's progressing from what I gather.
Elite: Dangerous - Hope it'll be decent... biggrin

#3935372 - 04/06/14 10:42 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I didn't pay for it but I'm glad I didn't contribute any money for Rainbow Six: Takedown. A friend who did contribute got an extra free copy so he gave it to me to try out.

Meh, I'd rather just reinstall Raven Shield.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3935375 - 04/06/14 10:49 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Why the gaming world considers Dean Hall a hero is beyond me. Guy creates a broken gimpy sketch of a game, then abandons it. And he's a hero?

Gamers have low standards.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3935376 - 04/06/14 10:50 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Star Citizen: It's a big project and they should certainly take their time. Gambled a lot of money with them ( $250 ) as the entire premise sounds amazing and the background they have is equally incredible. High hopes but also the biggest place to get burned for me.

Spintires: Love the tech demo and the developers seem nice but the fanbase is filled with with very unintelligent boobs and tons of people that don't speak a word of English which just makes it unpleasant to visit the forum. Progress also seems slow and the "Special backers forum" for the people who backed $100 and more is just dead with little 'bonus' to be part of.

Kingdom Come: Looks amazing and can't wait to see what these guys can do. However the forum they have built, its functionality and appearance is just rubbish - A simple wordpress forum would be 10x nicer, so I avoid that at all cost.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation ( From Steam ): Tried it for like 20 minutes and the performance is in the toilet, seems very basic and I'm kinda regretting it. However I remain hopeful.

Next Car Game: This game has massive amounts of potential, handling is sweet as butter and visually it's very pleasant. The physics are also hilarious! I have high hopes for this one.

Project Cars: It's amazing, incredibly beautiful and I already spent an insane amount of hours in the game. Nothing but confidence in these days.

IL2 - BoS: Amazing, best thing I've purchased and backed. It's coming along nicely.

As for 'how are the coming along' on most of them, I must admit I don't follow them very closely. I usually wait until an email ticks in about major happenings, beta releases etc.

#3935382 - 04/06/14 10:59 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Dayz. Crap.

Wargame Red Dragon. Probably will be great fun.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3935386 - 04/06/14 11:11 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Airdrop01]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
Dayz. Crap.

Wargame Red Dragon. Probably will be great fun.

You have those mixed up...

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3935389 - 04/06/14 11:19 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

I haven't spend any money on early access games
But I very nearly did on DCS WW2.Kickstarter but there's nothing to indicate it wont be finished but
There seems to be a lot subscribers very unhappy, promises were made by the developer in relation to updates/Freebies and some are not getting what they paid for, But I don't know the whole story
From what I have seen progress is being made its hard to keep milsim fans happy I guess.
We always seem to want more, ( me included) the fact is it takes a long time to make a decent milsim

Last edited by marko1231123; 04/06/14 11:50 PM.
#3935391 - 04/06/14 11:21 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

DayZ

Kerbal Space Program

Still waiting for both to go somewhere.

#3935393 - 04/06/14 11:28 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
DayZ - I think with the scope of what they're trying to do its coming along nicely since late December. At least it has huge potential.

Rust - A very nice member here bought me a copy and I think its another title that also has great potential.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3935401 - 04/06/14 11:56 PM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. It's getting better but it ain't worth the $100+ price tag to get in.

Kerbal Space Program. Dunno. I haven't looked at it in over 6 months. I couldn't get it to work with my joystick when I bought it and never went back to it.

War of the Vikings. Technically it runs well. I just really, really suck at this game.

S = k ln W
#3935415 - 04/07/14 01:13 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Broken Age- 1st part released, so far happy with the result.
Shadowrun Returns- have only had time to play the 1st part, happy with the result. Need to play 2nd part (Berlin campaign) soon!
IL2: Battle of Stalingrad- alpha gameplay is excellent, am very pleased so far.
Star Citizen- waiting for the dogfighting module
DCS: WW2- takes time but seems to be on track
Pillars of Eternity- every update makes me want to play this RPG even more!
Wasteland 2- waiting for the release, so far looking very good
Torment: Tides of Numeria- same as with Pillars of Eternity
DayZ- much slower progress than I hoped for. Still believe this will get good.
Cube World- seems basically abandoned by its creator
Kerbal Space Program- awesome since the earliest versions!
Kenshi- interesting but somehow I lost interest
Space Engineers- recently got a big update, fun

So far I'm happy with my investments.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3935442 - 04/07/14 02:33 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
rFactor2 - glacial pace, mod system sucks, almost regret but good for occasional lap in specific car/tracks
Project Cars - glacial pace on developing physics - regret supporting, physics not satisfying to drive, maybe if I reset sim expectations to Shift3 then I can be happy with it.
Assetto Corsa - developing quickly, already worth it, awesome physics, tracks, cars A++ would buy again
Shadowrun Returns - finished, worth it, A++ would buy again
Wasteland2 - waiting for release, looking great, going to be A++
Torment: Tides of Numeria - coming along ok so far
DayZSA - underwhelmed by the progress, not happy to hear Dean Hall is leaving before it is finished
Rust - ok so far, some good bones, will wait to judge
7 Days - ok so far, will wait to judge
Hegemony Rome Rise of Caesar - good bones already, fun, looking great, going to be A++
NEO Scavenger - almost finished and still adding features, good fun A++ would buy again
Project Zomboid - ok so far, too early to tell, will wait to judge
Star Citizen - glacial pace, regret buying into it so early, starting to wonder if it's a ponzi scheme
MechWarriorOnline - glacial pace, dev team is incompetent, but been enjoying it for 18months, B-- stopped buying more, but play often
Arma3 - decent pace, still hope they improve the engine more, but good value

Likely to join once the price is reasonable:
Elite:Dangerous - gameplay videos look amazing but entry price is way too high, if they do a $40 fee I will be in

Overall I am happy with my investments support spends, a couple of regrets but a couple of real gems, almost all of them have been fun to play at least for a while and show promise and could turn out great.

Glad to have an alternative to EA and Activision publishing just the yearly versions of COD, BattleField, NFS, Madden and FIFA.

Last edited by kludger; 04/07/14 03:22 AM.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3935453 - 04/07/14 03:04 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
IceManHG Offline
IceManHG  Offline

San Diego
Project Zomboid: Ive had a tough time getting it to run at a decent frame rate. Newer versions supposedly address this. Its fun for about an hour. Kinda slow paced.

Kerbal Space Program: Great game! It gets much deeper once you learn how to get a craft into orbit and start exploring the solar system.

Starbound: Pretty interesting 2D side scroller. The survival element is pretty weak. Tons of planet types to explore once you get enough minerals to fuel your starship. Weird mix of medieval and modern weapons and settings.

Does Fighter Ops count?

US Army Combat Veteran,
OIF Vet
13P
#3935461 - 04/07/14 03:45 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
rFactor 2 :- Don't know wth they are doing with this but doesn't look like it is getting anywhere soon. It's been nearly 3 years ! My copy won't run after an attempted patch update. Short of a PC format, I cannot seem to fix the problem. My lan group have gone back to racing rFactor 1. Can't help feeling that ISI appear so completely disinterested with this one.

DayZ Standalone Alpha :- Played a couple of hours. Buggy and boring as hell. I bought it more out of curiosity than anything else. Wasn't expecting much. Of all the games I have on Steam, this one got the least amount of playtime, a dubious distinction that won't change anytime soon

Rust :- A lot of fun if you are into anarchy but needs a lot of polishing to get out its potential. right now, most servers are a bunch of folks doing 'kill-on-sight' and barricading inside large impenetrable bases since they disable C4 on most servers. You're either a 'have' or a 'have-not', so you're wither cannon fodder or not.....nothing in between...

7 Days To Die :- I really like this one. The one Alpha I have backed that has lot of playability and polish with development and updates at a breakneck pace.

Stuff that are in my sights which I have not backed by cash :-

Star Citizen :- Oversubscribed and more typical self-handjob from the master promoter himself, Chris Roberts. But it does look and sound good. Just that I haven't seen cr*p from them and won't put down any cash until they is something concrete and tangible.

Elite and Dangerous :- Looks real good with actual play testing by early subscribers showing off good combat dynamics and ship management systems. Very impressive. Exorbitant entry price dressed up in the usual sales spin BS. Would have respected them more if they were honest with their monetary motivation but obviously telling everyone "I do this for big bucks" is not exactly the most politically correct way to liberate money from investors smile

#3935487 - 04/07/14 05:33 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Wasteland 2 is the only crowd-sourced game I've helped fund. I think it's slipped its schedule by quite a bit but to be honest I've not been keep up with the progress. Looks good though, from the beta versions they've released.

#3935490 - 04/07/14 06:02 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
mbeaver Online content
mbeaver  Online Content

Arizona, USA
Interstellar Marines - Last updated a week or so ago.

#3935491 - 04/07/14 06:05 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
DCS: WWII. I wished more would have kicked in, but I hope it works well so we can get more modules.

I really want a DCS: Tornado, F-111, or Apache with Single Craft Co-Op.

The other Sim I'd kick in a lot for Kickstarter would be a Mig Alley or Vietnam DCS level sim.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3935492 - 04/07/14 06:08 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
B25Mitch Offline
B25Mitch  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
Kerbal Space Program - Probably the best game ever made - there's an entire generation whose interest in space exploration and science in general has been sparked by KSP, and I am sure that if the game had existed in the 70's we would have colonies on Mars by now.

BeamNG Drive - Development on this is seemingly quite slow. I've got my $15 worth already as it is a fantastic crash simulator, but it needs more vehicles and maps, as well as fine-tuning of the vehicle handling.

ARMA III - Got the Alpha, but haven't played it much since release. It might not be my kind of sim, but It's very well done, and I have no regrets purchasing it.

DCS WWII - By the makers of Cliffs of Dover, which could have been great if the game engine was more robust. Fortunately, this time Eagle Dynamics has supplied the game engine, so I'm optimistic.

Last edited by B25Mitch; 04/07/14 06:10 AM.
#3935493 - 04/07/14 06:14 AM Re: What "early access" or crowd funded games have you spent money on? How are they coming? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Asseto Corsa race sim, good updates nearly every two weeks, and it's already a blast to drive with great physics and beautiful cars. Still needs MP and damage modeling, but...

twoweeks

rFactor 2, not sure why some have trouble, mine has worked nearly perfectly since I installed it. Updates are a bit slower than Asseto Corsa, but to me it's close to being finished anyway with a ton of working content like AI, MP, working pit stops, driver swaps (MP), awesome physics, accurate courses, road rubbering (changing track conditions), and I've driven some good 2nd party mods already. I just updated to a lifetime subscription last week.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.