Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3897031 - 01/17/14 06:58 PM Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission  
DarkFib3r Offline
DarkFib3r  Offline

If you are lined up on a target runway, ready to drop Durandals at 500 ft, and you start spotting tracers from ground units, what should you do? Should you continue to burn along, hoping it misses you? Should you do some vertical jinking, like you would with AAA?

I am used to flying the A-10C, which can take a few hits from ground fire on an approach, but the F-16 often disintegrates when clipped. Perhaps it's par for the course that you may get clipped by ground units on a low-altitude approach if they happen to be in your path and there is nothing you can do about it? But then again, maybe there is a technique that you use that keeps you alive longer and still allows you to bomb that runway?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3897058 - 01/17/14 07:28 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Well it's a bit since I did Deep Strikes but I can still remember a few things.

First: if the problem is just point defence AAA (middle to small caliber cannons/machine guns) simply go faster than 530 knots.
Add to that a little "porpoising", if that's even a word, and try to keep it steady only the few seconds before the drop. CCIP is your friend in this.

I usually bombed along the airstrip main heading, minus a few degrees.
A string of 6 Durandals should come out evenly spaced and deliver enough pain to put that thing out of order for a day or two.

Lemme think a bit more. But I think it's mostly that.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3897245 - 01/18/14 12:32 AM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
DarkFib3r Offline
DarkFib3r  Offline

Good tip - going fast and porpoising makes perfect sense. I'll try it out and see if my survivability improves! Thanks!

#3897413 - 01/18/14 09:45 AM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

No problems. Let me know how it goes!

For all that matters, it took me a bit to get comfortable with all that together.
Many times I even forgot to flip Master Arm on!

A little tip I can give you is to work out a standard procedure to follow every time.
Starting with accurate study of the target in the briefing to working out a sequence of steps that allow you to go through all the switches to go from "safe" to "weapons ready".

I don't know how long you played so maybe I'm just redundant... :P
But really, any questions... fire away.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3897772 - 01/18/14 11:08 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I love doing these missions and only really went down from an IR missile fired at me just as I passed the front end of the runway. AAA has never been a problem.

500-800 feet, 450-500 knots. I usually work out the runway length, then do some maths to work out the spacing, that way all I do is come in, determine where my "chain" starts, drop the first Durandal, drop countermeasures, then just concentrate on my egress. The flight computer will drop my bombs at proper spacing for me and I also have a countermeasures program that lasts about 12 seconds so I just start it and forget about it.

If you record your mission and watch the replay on TacView, you will see that the AAA rounds don't really come near you.

- Ice
#3898110 - 01/19/14 04:52 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
I usually orbit the target at around 22-25K from 20-25 miles out to get lined up for my run, asses the area for air defenses, terrain masking options and landmarks to help me navigate when I get down & dirty. Then I dive down low (around 200ft) and come in fast (usually around 450kts). About a mile from the runway I'll pull up to 2k and dump my bombs in spacing w/ CCIP, drop countermeasures and get back down to 200ft and get the hell out of there.

Note: Durandals worked for me in F4AF @ 500ft, but after switching to BMS I found that this is too low for the chute to open, rockets to fire, and warhead to detonate. This is why I do the pop up before the runway.

My biggest problem was always the egress. I always want to do that "airshow" type maneuver where you pull out of a low level bomb run with a banked turn & high AoA, thus putting myself in the envelope of those man pads or other IR's that Ice spoke of. It took some self training to get me to hit the deck after dropping Durandals and stay there 'till I got out of range of the air defenses. Once out of the air defense bubble you can get back to altitude safely.

As for the small arms fire and AA guns, I've been nicked a few times but always make it home. Some of my most satisfying missions have been bringing home a wounded bird. It does the ego good to know you can fly home and safely land a plane with the HUD knocked out and the control surfaces trimmed to max just so you can fly a straight line!

tactical

BTW, dont do this against SA-17...50ft min. firing alt.

Last edited by schnidrman; 01/19/14 05:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
#3898143 - 01/19/14 06:39 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

There's a good reason AFs stop doing the 500' OCA strike. The expected loss rate is higher than most other mission types. Bring a big package of which of runway destroyers are only a small part. Don't fly in straight lines. Don't fly down the runway axis.

#3898277 - 01/19/14 11:36 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I do my scouting on the recon screen, and usually edit my waypoints so that they "guide" me in. I also tend to be in the weeds a good few miles out so as not to alert the ground forces around the airfield* (I'm not sure if this is modeled or not, but just helps me with the immersion factor).

On the egress, I don't pull up straight away, but I do jinks as soon as I know the last bomb is off. Maybe climb a few feet but still generally stay low.

Dangerous? Yes. Realistic? Maybe. Fun? Yep!

- Ice
#3934944 - 04/05/14 02:51 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Gigolety Offline
Gigolety  Offline

Lugano
Sometimes AI what they do is to get to a point of the rwy from one side, left or right, instead of aligning with rwy center line and they drop all the Durandal together with a pair drop.

This can be a good attack profile in case there is some AAA present close to the rwy.

OCA strikes are the most dangerous mission and Royal Air Force Tornado experienced the highest lost rate during Desert Storm when they flew this kind of missions.

So, I suggest to fly the attack run close to this weapon limits. If I am not wrong you can drop the Durandal lower as 250ft AGL and at a speed of 650kts. I suggest to make any kind of attack run at a speed between 550KTS to 650 KTS and use 250ft , pair drop, with a "come in" from one side of the airport in case there is an AAA battalion close to the rwy.

Even more, if there is a SAM battalion, I have noticed the first to be targeted are the formation leaders, in many cases are number "1" and number "3". So if you are one of those be ready to receive a gift if you are in range.

Last edited by Gigolety; 04/05/14 02:56 PM.

I speak many languages one of them is cesky
#3935107 - 04/06/14 01:04 AM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: Gigolety]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Gigolety
So, I suggest to fly the attack run close to this weapon limits. If I am not wrong you can drop the Durandal lower as 250ft AGL and at a speed of 650kts. I suggest to make any kind of attack run at a speed between 550KTS to 650 KTS and use 250ft , pair drop, with a "come in" from one side of the airport in case there is an AAA battalion close to the rwy.

While possible in real life, IIRC the BMS Durandals have a problem when released lower than 500 feet. Haven't tested with the current Update.

- Ice
#3935178 - 04/06/14 05:54 AM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I've released at the specified height/TAS restrictions (250' / 550 knots I think) and been fine with them. I use 1500ms for my AD based on what I read and that seems to agree well with that limit.

#3935236 - 04/06/14 02:31 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Oooo... sweet! I'll need to try that out!

- Ice
#3937843 - 04/11/14 02:29 PM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

"Porpoising" is a word- I first read it in Jack Broughton's "Thud Ridge" which was published in the 70s. Plus, Window's spell check recognizes it.

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#3938188 - 04/12/14 10:01 AM Re: Handling low-altitude ground fire on an OCA mission [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Gigolety Offline
Gigolety  Offline

Lugano
While possible in real life, IIRC the BMS Durandals have a problem when released lower than 500 feet. Haven't tested with the current Update.

May be you are right but I have never noticed it. Probably when I missed the runway I simply judged as a personal mistake or improper release or planification when in reality there was another reason.

I was using those data given in the F4TacRef Handbook but I never thought there was an issue.

In any case, when I do an OCA I am not concerned too much about AAA but by SAMs, especially if I am number one or three. If they are active and they lock you, it is inevitable to get a shot. I tried one day to fly as number two and to bomb an airport with a SA-2 not so far away. AAA fired but didn't get us while number 1 and later number 3 where engaged by the SAM. Finally as number 2, I was the first to get over the rwy and release. It is true that I dropped at 500 ft but just to have a better visual sight of the area. AI where staying at 1.000 ft even if I planned the waypoints to push them down at 500ft.

Last edited by Gigolety; 04/12/14 10:02 AM.

I speak many languages one of them is cesky

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.