Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3933491 - 04/02/14 04:52 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
I would imaging a couple tabs of the industrial strength velcro would go a long way to controlling the sliding. You wouldn't even need a lot of it. Just some small tabs in a couple places would likely do the trick.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3933605 - 04/02/14 08:41 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
TX-EcoDragon Offline
G's Please
TX-EcoDragon  Offline
G's Please

CA
Thanks for the review! I sure would like to try a set of these, and this review only furthers that desire!

Most people that have read my hardware reviews know I'm not easy to please when it comes to sim hardware, but I think these might be the pedals that do the trick!

If I could only find it in my budget I'd have them already!

-Brett

S!
TX-EcoDragon

http://www.txsquadron.com
#3933773 - 04/03/14 06:54 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: T}{OR]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: T}{OR
Here is your answer:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3815062#Post3815062

Please note that this was a review of a prototype, and the pedals have gone a long way since then. The software also received an update from what you see in the SimHQ review with the firmware now updated to version 1.4.

Thanks! They certainly compare favorably to the Simpeds. What is the overall width of the base?

#3933775 - 04/03/14 07:32 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
T}{OR Offline
[DBS]
T}{OR  Offline
[DBS]

Croatia, Zagreb
YW. Info about their dimensions can be found at MFG website:

http://mfg.simundza.com/mfgcrosswind.php

But for just the base I would have to measure before giving you the answer. Any specific dimension you are looking for?

#3933875 - 04/03/14 01:43 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Time to save up, these are definitely on my list.

#3934049 - 04/03/14 06:37 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

I noticed that there was a statement in the review about the option to purchase different plates to make less wide, particularly for Obuto pits. Is that an option that exists already and if so, is there an option that allows these to be thin enough to be used within the O-zone pit? This pit I believe has even less space than the R3volution pit in terms of rudder-pedal width available.

Corsair8X

#3934065 - 04/03/14 06:50 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Wow, and Milan even posts here!

I'm drooling over these myself, but the only thing holding me back is no fault of the developer. I speak of programmability, and in particular the abilty to program the pedals in TARGET. I still fly some sims that only see a single controller, so this is a trade-off I'm not yet willing to make.

I don't think it's a bad idea for TM to incorporate the Crosswind pedals into their TARGET header file. Currently CH and TM are the only programmable HOTAS systems with a full programming language, and only CH has the ability to program a USB rudder. If you want to program a rudder in TARGET, you need a Cougar with a gameport rudder attached.

Given that the Crosswind likely appeals more to the Warthog crowd than the CH crowd, and since TM hasn't built a set of rudders since the Elite (and to my knowledge has never built rudders with toe brakes), TM bringing the Crosswind into TARGET would likely increase sales of both the Crosswind and the Warthog.

My $0.02.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3934108 - 04/03/14 08:18 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
I speak of programmability, and in particular the abilty to program the pedals in TARGET.

I don't think it's a bad idea for TM to incorporate the Crosswind pedals into their TARGET header file.

Well this depend on Thrustmaster, TARGET look for product ID in controllers firmware to recognize then, for market reasons recognize only Tm products. Try mail then.

Sokol1

#3934152 - 04/03/14 09:23 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
SoupyC Offline
SoupyC  Offline

Biggest Little City
Great read! These look really nice, maybe when I get my Warthog smile

"A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human 'wisdom' . . . and the other twenty percent isn't very important." - Jubal Harshaw
#3934295 - 04/04/14 03:37 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

These just moved up on my must have list. Need to replace my aging CH Pro Pedals.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3934302 - 04/04/14 03:49 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: T}{OR]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California

But for just the base I would have to measure before giving you the answer. Any specific dimension you are looking for?

I'm just looking for the maximum width of the base. If the base is not wider than the Simpeds, then it would fit my setup just fine.

#3934357 - 04/04/14 08:48 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: LukeFF]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Originally Posted By: LukeFF

I'm just looking for the maximum width of the base. If the base is not wider than the Simpeds, then it would fit my setup just fine.

Does this help? Click on Specifications.

Last edited by Speyer; 04/04/14 08:49 AM.
#3934728 - 04/04/14 08:01 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
milan_croatia Offline
milan_croatia  Offline

Split, Croatia
Sorry for my late reply...
I hope you will understand that I don't have much time to participate in forum discussions, but I do my best.

@ Corsair8x
I'll ship industrial Velcro pads in future batches as soon as I source them. We will see what customers say.
Again, I belive it's best to make a proper attachment of the pedals...as one part of velcro will have to be glued to your floor anyway...or not if you have carpet. Can work for some, not for others.
For O-zone pit I don't know, but you might be out of luck. Read what I've wrote to LukeFF here and check dimensions of your pit.

@ LukeFF
Overall width of pedals base is 38 cm. I belive that's what you want to know.

Standard pedals width : 49.5 cm ( overall with foot plates )
By using "width adjustment plates set" ( extra cost 19 eur) width is adjustable to
narrow - 46.5 cm
wide - 52.5cm
Watch this video about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mrSWkC_1Hk

@ Sokol1 and HomeFries
- It's not only "Product ID" alone that need to be added. I belive both TM Target and CH Manager use some kind of "virtual joystick device" to work their magic. Warthog consist of two separate usb devices which suddenly "disapear" and new virtual joystick called "Warthog combined" apear...if you like it that way. So, beside Product ID Target software communicate with firmware to alternate it's behaviour and send raw data to target software instead as HID joystick driver. Not sure how CH works, but probably the same.

- With Thrustmaster's permission it would be possible to integrate Crosswinds in TARGET... but I did not ask them. By looking at software policy of TM and CH I don't belive it's in their interest. Saitek is now also starting to bring their own software with X-55 stick.

I strongly belive that this is a matter for a much larger and separate discussion. I belive both CH and TM invested their money in such software and will not give it out for free to be used with other controllers. I understand them completely. However, such practice leave us combat simmers as a "second row citizens" compared to FSX, Xplane and Prepar3d fliers.

I will elaborate a little, not to go too deep in this thread...I belive only solution is to force hardware companies to comply to new software standard for all controllers. Such standard already exist...and as you probably know it's called Simconnect. Software that use it is called FSUIPC. Controllers that comply to such standard are able to connect to XPlane, FSX, Prepar3d..maybe others, I am not such expert on that matter to know more.

But, very strange if I may add....No combat simulator comply to such standard, not that I know of. ROF, IL2, DCS... none. This is why is so difficult to bring advanced hardware for combat use !!!. For example...if someone build a Force feedback controller he will probably target integration with FSUIPC interface...only logical solution. To make separate interface for DCS or others is not practical

In the end... I belive community should stimulate such "virtual joystick" software development with integrated programmability of controllers and actually "force" software and hardware manufacturers to comply to standard.
If you don't know what i'm talking about think of "joystick curves" software, but on a much more comprehensive integration scale.
http://www.xedocproject.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3-joystick-curves-development-version/

Why "virtual joystick" you might ask...why they use it in a first place. It's not only to combine multiple devices into one virtual...but becouse of PC's compute power is much larger than microcontroller power inside game device.
Game device's most likely (not all) use 8 bit controller up to 48Mhz speed. Your PC is probably multicore 64bit and few Ghz per core. Computing exponential and logarithmic functions ( curves) is much faster as well as other things like scripting.

#3934780 - 04/04/14 10:45 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: milan_croatia]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Originally Posted By: milan_croatia

@ Corsair8x
I'll ship industrial Velcro pads in future batches as soon as I source them. We will see what customers say.
Again, I belive it's best to make a proper attachment of the pedals...as one part of velcro will have to be glued to your floor anyway...or not if you have carpet. Can work for some, not for others.

I apologize for not being clear. I did not mean that you should supply the Velcro. I meant it more as a simple solution that anyone could do if they wanted. This should be something the customer should be expected to supply IMO.

Thank you for your response regarding the O-zone. Sometimes life doesn't go the way we all want smile

Corsair8X

#3934846 - 04/05/14 03:31 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Quote:
@ LukeFF
Overall width of pedals base is 38 cm. I belive that's what you want to know.

Yep, that's just what I needed to know. Thank you!

#3935010 - 04/05/14 06:29 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
GregP Offline
GregP  Offline

Fairfax, VA
Fantastic review: funny and informative, and very well written. This review pushed me to finally place an order after having read some many other glowing reviews these past few months.

i7-9700K / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC / 64GB DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti / TrackIR5 / MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals / VKB GF MkIII + MCG Pro
#3935102 - 04/06/14 12:57 AM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
TigerL0rd Offline
TigerL0rd  Offline

Quebec
Great review. My pedals were shipped last Friday, I am so excited to get them! I ordered them in February.

#3935234 - 04/06/14 02:25 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Thanks for the positive feedback on my first SHQ review everyone! I'm certain it won't be my last.

Going back to Milans points on materials, one thing I'll add: For those that really, really want the feel of metal under their feet, the middle ground would be to find a set of metal pedal pads (like in an ME-109) and mount them to the base. As shown in the picture below, it would be relatively easy to drill out metal pedals and use them instead.

This would keep the benefits of Milans design and material choice for the frame, (namely the flexibility and exponential response curve) but still give you the "cold steel" feel of military hardware.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3935266 - 04/06/14 04:05 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Vorlander Offline
Vorlander  Offline

South Africa
A great review for a great product.

#3937822 - 04/11/14 02:01 PM Re: MFG Crosswind Pedals [Re: RacerGT]  
Hrvoje Offline
Hrvoje  Offline

After reading review, only remark i have is to this entry in review:

"Could Be Better:
Odd looks from co-workers when attempting to type with them.
Cannot actually type with them."

Actually you can type with them..After new firmware and MFG configurator, you can assign brake axis as a key press

Last edited by Hrvoje; 04/11/14 02:02 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.