Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3931930 - 03/29/14 09:16 PM The bad tone of the internet  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
I think we've all experienced it, we've all seen it and most of us has probably been caught up in it at some point. The abuse, the childish attitude, the trolling, the swearing, the death threats even and the list goes on. It has almost been a stable since the dawn of the internet and global access.

Then we can post the classical "Normal person + Anonymity = Derp" JPEG and everyone laughs.

However is it just me or are we just hitting critical mass the past few years? I see big YouTube artists closing their channel for comments and almost have a nervous breakdown over the amount of bad comments. YouTube has become a notorious cackhole, people get increasingly afraid to share stuff on the internet because they are bound to get abuse and a lot of it.

You can barely have a decent discussion these days anywhere, without it turning to mush within 5-6 replies. Even the simulator community seems more unfriendly than I've ever seen it.

I just feel it has exploded lately, I'm even seeing adverts on local television for the 'good tone on the internet'. It just seems to be a fast downward spiral.

Anyone else have the same impression or have I just hit a particularly bad streak?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3931937 - 03/29/14 09:41 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
The Nephilim Offline
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Offline
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Well IT has been a #%&*$# and is only getting #%&*$#.. I guess the Anaonimity of the internet brings out the wolves as is the attitude what you gonna do about it..

It is just a General lack of respect for one another I guess.. I try to be as a great man said "Be the change you want to see in the world."

I really try hard to not argue on forums and such.. There are some nice people out there and it is just best to keep things as anonymous as possible..

I have another saying Do onto others as you would have done to you.. but I guess I'm Old school I try and respect my elders and be courteous as I can be..

I seen threads in the Youtube go south in a few mere sentances and it is instantly to the #%&*$# you stage relatively quick.. It is however just a bunch of lost souls with nothing better then to make other people miserable..

You know the saying Misery loves company.. Heck I don't bother once people degrade to that level..

I guess we see what we truly are in the internet and it does not look good sometimes.. I try to stayt in the light and not travel to the dark corners of the web..

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#3931940 - 03/29/14 09:54 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Funny you should post that, here, at this particular time.
We are trying very hard to make this forum, the Community Hall, a friendly place to be.
Trying to avoid the 'hostile' environment that makes people uncomfortable, and want to leave.
I very much appreciate your post.

IMHO if we can collect all the best people on the WWW, who enjoy flight simulation, military, racing, or just any electronic games, and avoid the ones who are hiding behind their electronic devices, looking for someone to insult, we will have achieved our goal. We want all the good guys to be 'here', and feel comfortable.

There are plenty of places for people to argue with insults, disagree with a vengeance short of violence, or post controversial and objectionable ideas.

We're trying to make the Community Hall one exception.
I'd like people to feel comfortable, where they don't have to worry about being attacked and insulted for posting their benign thoughts and ideas.

However silly they are....like this one... wink ..just a "dream" of mine.

Please relax, I'll try to keep the peace the best I can.
If anyone feels they've been 'insulted' or wronged in a post, please hit the 'Contact the Moderator' button, I don't mind, it's my job. If I'm not online, someone else will take care of it.

I don't need everyone to be all 'touchy feel good' in every post, I just want our members to feel 'comfortable' here. A friendly place, and as you say, very unusual now days.

"Murphy's Law"
#3931965 - 03/29/14 11:03 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I debate regularly in PWEC and it's actually quite civilized.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3932019 - 03/30/14 01:46 AM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
....And it takes a 'gang of brawlers', to keep it that way... wink

crew

"Murphy's Law"
#3932027 - 03/30/14 02:13 AM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Murphy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I defer to my brother/sister/L337HaXXorRs/internet folks

There are a BUNCH of strange people out there with internet access.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3932032 - 03/30/14 02:33 AM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Look at it this way. The internet is open to a world of over 6 billion people. You are bound to encounter many strange and disturbed individuals.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3932033 - 03/30/14 02:39 AM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Shredder Offline
Shredder  Offline

A farm in Iowa
If you really want to witness the depravity of our society, grab yourself a PS4, go the livestream channel, and behold the future of our society.... It's breathtakingly painful to watch. I swear the people who video themselves are rejects from the Jerry Springer Show. In one sense they are anonymous because no one knows who they are, yet they are totally exposed. Sort of a paradox. This ties into the theme of this thread because even though I feel like the vast majority of us on this site are "normal", we are surrounded by a youth culture that values "shock and awe", and where shame no longer factors into behavior. Likewise, people post comments without the fear of reprisal or any sort of self induced limits on civility. I think it has gotten much worse.

#3932054 - 03/30/14 07:19 AM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The best thing about the internet is every one gets a say. The worst thing about the internet is every one gets a say.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3932075 - 03/30/14 10:59 AM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
saf1 Offline
saf1  Offline

Denmark/Sweden
I can only agree with OP. Personally I have never been exposed to it on any forum, getting personally attacked in any way, where I felt threatened or affected by it.

However, I have recently seen posts that have made ​​me shake my head. It`s not only on the internet forums and UT these things happens. In my former job (IT business, support related), we often had to deal with personal attacks, bad behavior on the phone.

I know that some of these people will not have behaved in that manner, if it have been a face to face conversation - seen colleagues upset/angry in a way, that would have brought the worst up in them if it have been face to face.

There are alot of psychopaths out there or people with psychopathic tendencies smile they do not know where to draw the line of good conduct.

Last edited by saf1; 03/30/14 11:08 AM.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice. Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983. Sdan er det bare.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, ASUS Motherboard P9X79 Pro, Seagate Baracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0, DCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.6 120GB, HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E, Corsair XMS3 1600Hz 8GB Vengeance CL9, INTEL Liquid Cooling LGA1155 - LGA2011, INTEL LGA2011 Core I7 3.6Ghz - 3820, Silver Power SP - SS850 850W PSU, 24" Benq HDMI LED Monitor
#3932085 - 03/30/14 12:00 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
somebody should sue Al Gore ....he invented it ..so it's all his fault !! biggrin

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3932109 - 03/30/14 02:54 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Before the internet, what venues were available to be vindictive to someone else in an anonymous fashion? Crank calls no longer were an option once caller ID came around. The internet makes it effortless so I think it enables many people to be vindictive who otherwise would have never bothered.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3932134 - 03/30/14 04:11 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

Part of the problem is the natural human desire for tribalism. The internet brings us all together but evolution tells us that we don't want to be all together. I think that's why politics keeps popping up in areas where they have no relavance. Left/Right, Ford/Chevy, Camel/Fokker--these are foxholes we can jump into and immediately rejoin a tribe. The internet allows us to destroy the other tribe with zero risk while it also creates in us an illusion that we are actually changing others. Overall the effect may be positive. Millions right now are posting and tweeting vitriol thinking that they do so anonymously. Then they try to get a job.

Last edited by Smokin_Hole; 03/30/14 04:16 PM.
#3932146 - 03/30/14 05:03 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Suicidal_6 Offline
Suicidal_6  Offline

Gulfport
Those who post their entire lives on the internet need to get a life. I have a great job in an ever growing career field. Not once have I ever been asked about online accounts or activity. If asked, I'd tell them it's none of their business.

_ _ ______________________ _ _

S6
#3932166 - 03/30/14 05:37 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
lacking great wit or tech gifts, I am mostly left to trying to be helpful, informative and courteous and limit debating to expression of ideas without animosity and really do enjoy the informative and good hearted folks, from all walks of life in here. Thanks to all and our moderator for such a great job done for our benefit.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#3932169 - 03/30/14 05:42 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I don't think I've ever been asked about 'online accounts' or 'activity'.

And I'm not one who is afraid to post general information about myself.
I just don't give details, that would put myself at risk.
What I've done in my life, I'm not ashamed of, and it'll not do anyone any good.
I'm retired anyway....lol....and some people 'advertise', for more business.
Being afraid to open up a little, is telling IMO.

Knowing what you did for a living, or what city you live in....what your first name is, or what weapons you like etc......is not going to put your life at risk.

I think it's just common sense to keep your DOB/address/last name and certain identifying numbers, to yourself, or trusted friends. A happy medium.
I bought a rifle from OG....he probably has my 'prints'....You gotta trust someone, sometime.
I've very picky, but I do trust some people.

I'm not paranoid about who I am, and what I have done to earn my living, what state I live in or my first name.
It's of no use to anyone, I'm not ashamed of it, or what I've done with my life. It puts me in no danger....people I've put in prison for 20 years, know my name (they have my business card) and my address is in the book. Come get me.
You can't hide from 'life'.

I think you're in more danger of not knowing how to secure your PC.
Or do your banking, and pay bills online.
Now that's taking chances, if you don't know what you're doing, I mean 'really know', and most people 'don't', IMHO.

Posting your first name and your from Ohio, and work as an electrician.....isn't going to get anyone, anything.

Being unemployed and living with your mom and dad at age 28, is embarrassing....I probably wouldn't post that, not that it's dangerous, but I'd understand if it was kept 'secret'.....lol......

Edit;
BTW coasty, thanks for the post, and I'll never tell anyone about your work with the C.I.A.
Never. Mum's the word. You can't count on me......

"Murphy's Law"
#3932172 - 03/30/14 05:49 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

It's turned me into one of them after years of being around it. I used to be a nice guy on the net, years ago. Now I'm bitter, angry, and disgusted on a daily basis. Some days I feel like I want to get into a fight, or say something not so nice to someone. I never used to be that way.

I think the biggest reason why it's like this now, is because nearly everybody is connected to the net. In the past it was somewhat limited to the geekier or more sophisticated part of society. Now that everybody and their dog is online, with an ever increasing amount of children too, it's like a big moshpit.

Some times I feel like I want to say sorry to people or game devs for taking frustrations out on them. I don't want to be angry, bitter and aggressive on a daily basis. Freakin' internet.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3932177 - 03/30/14 06:01 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
you are most welcome Murphy. a posting the other day caught my eye regarding Michigan's difficulties with pensions and cities going bankrupt. My wife's cousin and her husband are both retired Michigan state employees, one in education the other retired from social work. they have not mentioned problems, and I wish all the best, that is a terrible situation to have lived by the rules, been a productive citizen and have it all wasted by insane spending.

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#3932205 - 03/30/14 07:43 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I once posted on this forum complaining about another forum... well, not really complaining, more like venting my frustrations regarding that other site. The thread got taken down and I got a PM explaining why, and I got the gist of things and I never took it up again. But then this thread came up so I'm bringing it up.

I won't say which forum, but there are many like it so I am sure some can relate, whether it be flight simming, tactical shooting, sub warfare, etc. Those forums wherein you ask a legit question and have to wade through 2 dozen replies before getting a useful one. Or where the first three replies are "newb, lol!," "RTFM!," or "not this question again!" Then there are those wherein your bandwidth is consumed by downloading all the flashy user signature images/gifs.

And this is why I stick to SimHQ. Text signatures. Mature discussion. Helpful replies.

I have gotten so much help and advice here, both for my hobby and for my real life, that I am very happy to "pay it forward" whenever I can.

Oh, and if a nice guy in person turns into a d!ck just because of internet anonymity, then that really isn't a nice person, that's just a facade. Sure, we can have arguments and turn into Hyde or Hulk in defense of our beliefs, but that's a different thing.

- Ice
#3932278 - 03/30/14 11:26 PM Re: The bad tone of the internet [Re: Sethos88]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I agree ICE.
I've met a whole bunch of sociopaths in my line of work.
They learn how to hide it.
I'm sure it comes out on the WWW.

I think we should post a 'sticky' at the top, so members have something they can point to.
If you find people are making the site uncomfortable in some way, just point to it.
Basically what I've posted here, nothing new, just basic manors all us old timers go by.
I hope Rick and Einstein can help out with that....we'll see.

"Murphy's Law"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.