Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3927774 - 03/21/14 02:20 AM Syrian Army T-72  
Pmike Offline
Pmike  Offline

Chicago, IL
Hour long video, the close combat of it are quite interesting. How GoPro gives us a view into a tank in a war zone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv9DJRvuHyI

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3927919 - 03/21/14 12:54 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
Flit Offline
Flit  Offline

Auckland
Incredible footage. Never seen anything like it.

#3927922 - 03/21/14 12:58 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Cool video. Avoiding PWEC, I will say it's fun to watch them blow each other up at least.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3927999 - 03/21/14 02:48 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Never seen any of these videos before.

They clearly DON'T know how to use tanks effectively. It a what not to do ever how to on armored warfare.

Mainly it just makes me sad. These dumb asses leveled their city's. Granted, sometimes the spilling of blood is the only way. But the way these guys are fighting.. It just looks like a bunch of yahoo's running around blowing crap up. Thinking that is how to win a war.

The city is leveled. No one lives there but a bunch of guys with ak's and rpg's. And the Syrian army is just driving tanks around with no infantry support. Actually should be infantry supported by armor, but whatever. Better to just block entry to the stupid city and let them eat dirt.

The infantry...where ever they are, are not taking city blocks. Just tanks zipping around in an area where all their advantages are null and void. Whoever is in charge of the Syrian army need to get fired and go clean toilets.

Just makes me depressed this sort of thing.

#3928008 - 03/21/14 02:57 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It IS a bunch of yahoos running around blowing crap up (while yelling for snackbars). Considering the lack of any sane innocents, it's entertaining to watch just for the sake of entertainment.

If it was competent military forces it'd probably be a lot less exciting on film anyway biggrin

#3928019 - 03/21/14 03:23 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
I wonder how many smoke grenades, level 4 body armor and hand held radios could have been bought for 1 t72s with reactive armor? Cause that is what they need to take and hold ground in that hell hole.

God is great. But God clearly is not in Syria right now.

#3928071 - 03/21/14 04:54 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Ya reminded me of driving around in a tank in battlefield, I use the same techniques

I too can't help but look at what was once a nice city, in ruins

#3928091 - 03/21/14 05:52 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: FlashBurn]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: FlashBurn
And the Syrian army is just driving tanks around with no infantry support. Actually should be infantry supported by armor, but whatever. Better to just block entry to the stupid city and let them eat dirt.

Granted, but it is thought that the armored corps is Bashar's most reliable force- these tend to be Assad's most loyal, best equipped professional troops. The infantry can be conscripts from enemy tribes that can switch sides, desert, or put a bullet in your back. Finally, the civil war has depleted the ranks quite a bit, which is where Hezbollah came in and has apparently turned the tide.

They're really making do with what they've got. Besides that, there are lots of other videos of tanks working together with infantry dismounts.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3928139 - 03/21/14 07:45 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

A few others to give an idea as to whats going on behind the scenes with these videos.

They aren't going in without being covered, but by the same token they do not want to fight for each building with infantry. They would rather destroy an area by fire than suffer casualties assaulting it directly.

The purpose of the tanks seem to be
1. Provide direct fire support/destroy barricades or enemy positions.
2. Provide support during raids.
3. Provide cover to infantry.

It would appear that with an assault ideally the tanks are covered by infantry. The tanks are used to reduce strong points by fire, create breaches and cover an assault party while both are covered by heavy weapons and infantry set up in buildings to the rear.

While a Western state may prefer to use infantry to clear urban areas, with the conditions that the SAA, especially the forces in Damascus, the tactics that they use seem to work for them. Civilian casualties aren't as much of a concern for them and there is no time limit for the end of operations. So they can afford to soften an area for weeks with artillery, and then conduct a limited attack into it to take an important area in it.

As regards equipment essentially all of what you see in the videos the SAA has had before the civil war. Most of is was chosen as part of considerations related to defense against a coup attempt or defense against Israel. That said it seems that the ERA on these T-72s seem to be effective against the ATWs that the insurgents have.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3928148 - 03/21/14 07:57 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
It amazes me how one can even have any sort of military when every other word is "aloha snackbar". I'm waiting on the FLIR footage of Israelis having target practice biggrin

Pretty high quality videos regardless.

#3928164 - 03/21/14 08:30 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
ObvilionLost Offline
ObvilionLost  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
After watching many videos I gotta say enemy is pretty dumb too, on some videos you see enemy firing their guns at tanks. Probably screaming "aloha snackbar" before tank round flies through the window.

#3928189 - 03/21/14 09:00 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Excellent videos guys,thanks.That's my evenings entertainment sorted cheers

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3928200 - 03/21/14 09:25 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
NineLives Offline
NineLives  Offline

Shropshire UK
Hands up who else realised they were moving their mouse around trying to control them when watching this?

#3928224 - 03/21/14 10:32 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Pmike]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I've just watched all the ones Tankhunter posted up. Seeing it from the Syrian Army side it looks far more organised than I thought after watching so many videos from the FSA side.

Such a shame to see all the destroyed buildings etc.What was probably a busy town/city now reduced to rubble. And for what?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3928251 - 03/21/14 11:33 PM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: Peally]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

Originally Posted By: Chucky
I've just watched all the ones Tankhunter posted up. Seeing it from the Syrian Army side it looks far more organised than I thought after watching so many videos from the FSA side.

Such a shame to see all the destroyed buildings etc.What was probably a busy town/city now reduced to rubble. And for what?

I have seen one from ANNA where I guess it was the company commander was micromanaging vehicles within a platoon during an action, I believe they were tanks covering IFVs on an assault on a building in semi-open terrain. Its very centralized. Again, it isn't something that one would expect out of a NATO style force, but it works for them.

Originally Posted By: Peally
It amazes me how one can even have any sort of military when every other word is "aloha snackbar". I'm waiting on the FLIR footage of Israelis having target practice biggrin

Pretty high quality videos regardless.

I don't know about the NDF guys, the militia fighting for the SAR in their own neighborhoods. But the professionals, which the guys in the ANNA vids are, the most you get are pro-Bashar chants, and thats only before or after action. In a fight they are pretty professional. If you are referring to that third vid, thats the company commander micromanaging the vehicles telling them "yalla" which means "come on" or "lets go." Its a common word to hear from Arab mothers when they are leaving a store with their young kids looking over candy or toys. biggrin

About the war itself the war has alot of twists, many of which have regional characteristics. You have the Sunni-Shia conflict (Iran and Hez supporting the regime, KSA and Gulf Arab states opposing it). You have the Urban vs Rural conflict (urbanites being more open minded, less focused on religion, something that was seen in Egypt too). Then there is the neo-Cold War thing too (Russia supporting it's historical client against insurgents that at the least get moral backing from the US and the West). Then there is the modernism vs traditionalism aspect of it all (the SAR being relatively secular, and certainly multi-confessional, while the insurgents are becoming more and more narrow in ideological scope). It has a bunch of interesting aspects to it.

Last edited by TankHunter; 03/21/14 11:53 PM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3928751 - 03/23/14 07:39 AM Re: Syrian Army T-72 [Re: NineLives]  
WWSandMan Offline
WW: Online Since 1992
WWSandMan  Offline
WW: Online Since 1992

Mankato, Minnesota, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: NineLives
Hands up who else realised they were moving their mouse around trying to control them when watching this?

/me hand raised. Yes. I did that.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.