Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3918325 - 02/28/14 07:42 PM So much more...  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

"When did you last take the time to watch the stars? ..." asked Agent "K" the Agent "J",
and we all knew: they love their job, the small planet Earth, the universe...
Stars. Did you notice we have stars in "Wings Over Flanders Fields"? ...

When I was shopping in my supermarket today, I saw two kids, tearing on their mum's clothes;
nagging "I want this!" and "Mama, can I have one of those?!" And suddenly I had one of those
rare moments of deeper insight into the world, the universe, and everything - and I thought
to myself: That's what you are. That's how you behaved recently (among others) as a customer
of OBD; as a user of the best and most immersive WW1 sim you have ever been flying in.

We take SO much for granted in this world; most of the love we are given; and most of the love
others put into some rare things we treasure. We take all the good stuff within for granted,
and only nag and rant and complain about that, what is still not "right" in our eyes; or what
we are yet missing to see implemented.

And I really felt ashamed, when I sat in my cockpit 10 minutes ago, flying over Epinoy airfield
and the well familiar "teardrop lake" there; after having been successful in a short attack on
a Nieuport 23... I was over that lake, and the low sun cast it's platinum rays on my wings, my
hood, and - so it felt - on my face; and I thought "how must it be to be a dev, having created
all this world I wouldn't want to miss - and then to receive all those complaints and stuff!"

It is like in a marriage. You take the love for granted, and you don't say "thank you" often;
but you complain about almost everything you DON'T like.

So let me tell you, OBD (you all know who you are!) - I love your "baby"; I admire the long
breath you guys all had to bring it to light. And let me tell you, that there are countless
more things in your creation, than the few complaints I had and may still have here and there.
And forgive me, when I don't sing them all out here in my little ode - it would burst the
text frame, believe me.

I wouldn't want to miss "Over Flanders Fields" and the "Wings" I received with it; and the
day I "met" you guys was one of the best in my life. I still remember it was 8 October 2008,
when I found "Over Flanders Fields" in the internet - then it was still called Phase 2.

And now I better close; this is the first "love letter" I have ever written to a bunch of men
(and we'll better leave it at that) - but I think it was long overdue.
The rest may be said with pictures; some now, more in future...

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3918342 - 02/28/14 07:56 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Excellent post, Olham. Great sentiments.

#3918359 - 02/28/14 08:14 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
storkace Offline
storkace  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Great point Olham- We're all VERY lucky to have this sim.
but I don't think you should feel ashamed, I doubt you've ever been disrespectful to the developers or anyone else on this forum. It's ok when you're having issues to try to get a solution, especially when you did pay for the product. My opinion, it's also OK to have a 'wish list' or want more, if for no other reason than to see what other people are thinking about.

#3918369 - 02/28/14 08:28 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Yep, the stars are there, and not just random stars, but the actual constellations. A couple of days ago I was returning to base after a bombing attack late in the day and noticed some of the most obvious constellations visible through the cracks in the cloud cover. smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#3918397 - 02/28/14 09:12 PM Re: So much more... [Re: storkace]  
chrispdm1 Offline
chrispdm1  Offline

NE Saskatchewan
Originally Posted By: storkace
Great point Olham- We're all VERY lucky to have this sim.
but I don't think you should feel ashamed, I doubt you've ever been disrespectful to the developers or anyone else on this forum. It's ok when you're having issues to try to get a solution, especially when you did pay for the product. My opinion, it's also OK to have a 'wish list' or want more, if for no other reason than to see what other people are thinking about.

I agree, the wish list is exactly that, wishing for something to be added to the sim, not demanding the devs that it be changed. When I see posts that point out a minor issue that maybe could be corrected and the user states unequivocally that it absolutely needs to be fixed and as soon as possible or their entire sim experience is ruined etc etc, I kind of shake my head and wonder if they are missing the point.

Good post Olham

#3918400 - 02/28/14 09:16 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Jesus, I'm filling up!

#3918417 - 02/28/14 09:59 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
stiffstarch Offline
stiffstarch  Offline

Maryland, USA
Very Nicely put Olham... I am new here and still trying to find my way "Over Flanders Fields", but am enjoying all of the nuances. Not many sims I have tried have been so immersive.

I look forward to discovering more and more about this very rewarding work.

Thanks to OBD!!!

#3918465 - 02/28/14 11:15 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
MajorMagee Offline
MajorMagee  Offline

Dayton, OH
We trained our children to alway tell us that they liked something, rather than saying "I want". That way we always retained control over how we would choose to respond to their expressed desires.

Service To The Line,
On The Line,
On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.
#3918507 - 03/01/14 12:22 AM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Very well put! Last night I made my first QC flight between an SE5 and a veteran Albatross and fell in love after the first ten minutes. Why? I set it up so we were both at 2000 feet, no advantage. I never even saw him until I was almost on top of him and he banked slightly. Most impressively, after I put a few rounds in him I never saw him again. I spent ten minutes scanning the ground, the horizon, the clouds, the sun and not a sniff. I guess he went hedge hopping and buggered off home while I took a detour looking at a speck in the sky, which turned out to be an observation balloon. No endless falling leaf turns, no endless winding match, no endless scissor maneuvers, no "terminator" AI mode. Amazing.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#3919071 - 03/02/14 02:23 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thank you Olham - well put. Putting deep man voice on now cough cough we love you too wink.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#3919113 - 03/02/14 04:34 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Hahaha!
Well, Pol - we know how we mean it, and those who might think anything else...
Ah, let them...!
Thanks, Pol and all!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3919174 - 03/02/14 07:34 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

True..True. Great sentiments Olham!

OFF/WOFF is much more then a sim..it's a hobby; with all the intricacies and dimensions of such. A "time machine" to most, I would guess.

#3919254 - 03/02/14 11:20 PM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
Tuba2 Offline
Tuba2  Offline

Ohio, U.S.A.
It seems you are not the only person with those feelings Oldham. Very well written. I surely could not do that in German.

Our lives start to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
Martin Luther King
#3919330 - 03/03/14 03:48 AM Re: So much more... [Re: Olham]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Well said Olham I couldn't have expressed it better. I to remember when I first found OFF back in phase 1. I could not believe they worked so hard just to give it away. I progressed on with them as they developed their sim for us. I am now building a new computer so I can enjoy WOFF as it should be enjoyed for it's visual beauty and style. Thanks to Pol, Winder, OVS and all the hard working Devs of WOFF. We salute you

#3919339 - 03/03/14 04:24 AM Re: So much more... [Re: DaveP63]  
nhill40 Offline
nhill40  Offline

Originally Posted By: DaveP63
Very well put! Last night I made my first QC flight between an SE5 and a veteran Albatross and fell in love after the first ten minutes. Why? I set it up so we were both at 2000 feet, no advantage. I never even saw him until I was almost on top of him and he banked slightly. Most impressively, after I put a few rounds in him I never saw him again. I spent ten minutes scanning the ground, the horizon, the clouds, the sun and not a sniff. I guess he went hedge hopping and buggered off home while I took a detour looking at a speck in the sky, which turned out to be an observation balloon. No endless falling leaf turns, no endless winding match, no endless scissor maneuvers, no "terminator" AI mode. Amazing.

^ Yes! This sums up the WOFF experience in a nutshell!

My only regret is that more devs haven't taken the time to produce the kind of 1st rate AI that WOFF has - it's truly a one-of-a-kind experience.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War