Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3915196 - 02/22/14 04:00 AM Sgt. Heza Pantswetter flunking training  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Yup, that's me! For some reason, having signed up with the Brits in 1915, and being assigned to training with Capt. Owen Triggers in a RAF BE2, I can't keep up with him! On my best "circuits" flight to date, I still had to cut inside him to even hope to stay close.

Tonight was my long-delayed 4th flight and my rustiness really showed. I tried to adjust my mixture and I nearly lost it, as I apparently have a problem with my mixture assignment. But I got back to full throttle (mixture unknown) and began climbing back, only to stall in a turn and nearly clip some neighborhood rooftops! Somehow, incredibly I did manage to climb back and catch Triggers at 2300' just as he began his descent. but a proper training flight it was not. My landings, though, have been very nice.

So I can't fly. I should have checked my airspeed, and I probably banked too far. I really went gingerly with my banks after that. But if I am not even up to 2300', should I even have to fiddle with my mixture?

Beautiful flying, so far, though, WOFF is really nice that way!

Thanks all,

Tom

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#3915227 - 02/22/14 07:34 AM Re: Sgt. Heza Pantswetter flunking training [Re: HumanDrone]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Sounds like a real life beginner's struggles to me, Tom - quite believeable.
I guess you had the good old BE 2 ?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3915362 - 02/22/14 06:30 PM Re: Sgt. Heza Pantswetter flunking training [Re: HumanDrone]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave If it is a struggle to fly the BE 2, Enlist on the German side. The Av German Trainer is an easy flyer. However it does skid in rudder turns. thumbsup

#3915469 - 02/23/14 01:20 AM Re: Sgt. Heza Pantswetter flunking training [Re: HumanDrone]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Olham,

Yes I have the BE2. & carrick, what i can't quite figure out is why I can't keep up with Captain Triggers. Even my best flight of the 4, where I managed to get in formation, I had to cut the corners on him or I'd lose him in the turns - and I'm full throttle until we start our descent. I thought maybe it was something to do with my mixture, because I tried to put it on the slider by my thumb on the throttle (Saitek X52 Pro), but that isn't working correctly.

But the flying is glorious. I can't wait to get further into it. Real life is very busy right now, though. Still, I have to get the contro issue sorted out before I have people shooting at me - I have to know I'm top-notch then, or it will be a mighty short career for Sgt. Pantswetter.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#3915494 - 02/23/14 02:00 AM Re: Sgt. Heza Pantswetter flunking training [Re: HumanDrone]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Olham,

Yes I have the BE2. & carrick, what i can't quite figure out is why I can't keep up with Captain Triggers. Even my best flight of the 4, where I managed to get in formation, I had to cut the corners on him or I'd lose him in the turns - and I'm full throttle until we start our descent. I thought maybe it was something to do with my mixture, because I tried to put it on the slider by my thumb on the throttle (Saitek X52 Pro), but that isn't working correctly.

But the flying is glorious. I can't wait to get further into it. Real life is very busy right now, though. Still, I have to get the contro issue sorted out before I have people shooting at me - I have to know I'm top-notch then, or it will be a mighty short career for Sgt. Pantswetter.

Well, if he is indeed a pants wetter, the sheer terror of combat should make it so and it might not be a bad thing if he has a fire on board. He might be able to redirect the stream! biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3915534 - 02/23/14 05:21 AM Re: Sgt. Heza Pantswetter flunking training [Re: HumanDrone]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

Starting from the begining with the training mission is a perfect way to start WOFF IMHO.

Then, I suggest you follow the Survival In the Air series of rules to continue your journey.

Taking an excerpt from the SIA series rules:

1. On your first mission with your new squadron, choose air start. Ignore the mission briefing. When you're in the air, advance the waypoints until you return to base. This will simulate your first landing at your new field.

2. Next 3 Missions:

Generate your first mission, but ignore the mission instructions. You will take off, fly a circuit of the field, and land on the airfield.

Second mission - generate the mission, but ignore the instructions again. You will fly a 'lone wolf' mission of your own choosing, but will not fly over or cross the lines, and will land back at your airfield.

Third mission - generate the mission, but ignore the mission instructions. You will fly a 'lone wolf' mission up to the lines and will cross until fired upon by enemy AA artillery. You may then return to land at your airfield.
Note: you may engage the enemy during these three training missions, but if you fail to end two or more missions by landing at your airfield, are shot down (and survive), or write off your aircraft in a bad landing (the 'your aircraft has been destroyed' message) you will be sent back to the Home Front for further flight training.

3. Then after that you follow the mission instructions.

4. Also, you can simulate leaves, quiet sectors, etc... to carry on your career.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80