Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
#3777156 - 05/03/13 10:29 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: RogueSqdn]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: RogueSqdn

The only thing I was really unhappy I couldn't come up with a solution for was extending the Cougar throttle cable. I bought a Belkin HD15 VGA 10 foot cable that has all 15 pins and it wouldn't work. I had to run the Cougar throttle cable under the seat instead of around the feet (or around the back if I had a longer cable). Any ideas?

Very nice!

Have you done a continuity check of each of those 15 conductors? It might be that there is/are a pin(s) that do not have conductors wired up for them...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3777207 - 05/04/13 01:08 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
I have not. Don't have a multimeter but I do have a toner. Needs new 9V batteries. I suppose I could use that if I can touch only one pin.

I'd like to avoid cutting the cable open if I could. Though I suppose I could just buy a few db15 connectors from RadioShack and make my own cable.

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#3777344 - 05/04/13 12:27 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: obutto]  
Samson Offline
Samson  Offline

Obutto

Cheers for the response. I had a play around last night with getting the touchscreen in position. Requires a bit more tinkering, but I'm getting there.

Thanks again

S

#3783343 - 05/16/13 11:26 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
After spending a few days with my R3volution, there are few things (pretty important things to me) that really bug me and they both pertain to flightsimming.

1. I'm 6"4 and the wheel mount is still too high. Literally, the wheel is about upper chest level. So, if you use a yoke, you are basically pulling the yoke into your high chest area which is very unrealistic. It's awkward and unnatural feeling. The stand is adjustable, but that is at the lowest setting! I'm not surte anybody outside of an NBA basketball player would ever need to adjust the mount up.

2. The seat height has no adjustability. See #1.

3. The tiny wheel mount does not seem to accept a CH Yoke (at least the Eclipse won't work). First, the flat area itself is too small. The yoke sits on the top just fine, however, this put the side clamps used on the CH Eclipse either at very sharp angles facing inwards (very unstable), or placing the mounts so they contact the spars (very unstable and pretty much just doesn't work).

So, basically, if you have a CH Eclipse (or I'm guessing a standard CH Yoke) like me, the Obutton R3volution just won't work. It seems wierd since CH is so popular, you'd think the yokes would be easily attachable. Perhaps this stand works better with a center-post mounting system like that of the Saitek?

4. There are no additional attachments for the center post to change the steering/yoke height OR add-on to make another "level" lower for attacking wheels/yokes. The table for the Ozone won't work with the R3volution.

These are a few of the issues I noticed. While I like my R3volution, I may have steered clear if I knew there was no seat height adjutability. I honestly can't see somebody smaller than 6"+ enjoying this steering height for flying sims or racing sims. I'm sure it is possible to buy some spacers for seat height but after spending $850+ not including the A10 Warthog mount it would have been nice to get more adjustability in the seat height/spinal area where a wheel/yoke attaches.

I don't know, the rig is definitely stable, but I'm not sure how feasible it is for anything outside of a work/FPS rig (or if you play DCS A10....the A10 mount is AWESOME). The stearing column/yoke height is just TOO high. It needs to be about 3-5 inches lower and wider for pilots who want to use a yoke. Really, this is what sort of puts me off the most. I'm considering just using my desk for Flightsims and the Obutto for FPS's....little expensive for a FPS setup though.

Anybody know if spacers would increase the seat height, and if so, where to buy them?

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#3786611 - 05/23/13 04:08 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
WarthogSmurf Offline
WarthogSmurf  Offline

Been upgrading the chair with touchscreen, triplehead, new Geforce Titan. Now i am a bit paranoid when it comes to "my stuff".

But did somebody thought of theft protection (besides the infamous kensington wires). I myself was thinking of vesa mount screw with torx based heads.

Any other ideas ?

#3786671 - 05/23/13 05:49 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: Ark]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Originally Posted By: Ark
After spending a few days with my R3volution, there are few things (pretty important things to me) that really bug me and they both pertain to flightsimming.

1. I'm 6"4 and the wheel mount is still too high. Literally, the wheel is about upper chest level. So, if you use a yoke, you are basically pulling the yoke into your high chest area which is very unrealistic. It's awkward and unnatural feeling. The stand is adjustable, but that is at the lowest setting! I'm not surte anybody outside of an NBA basketball player would ever need to adjust the mount up.

3. The tiny wheel mount does not seem to accept a CH Yoke (at least the Eclipse won't work). First, the flat area itself is too small. The yoke sits on the top just fine, however, this put the side clamps used on the CH Eclipse either at very sharp angles facing inwards (very unstable), or placing the mounts so they contact the spars (very unstable and pretty much just doesn't work).

So, basically, if you have a CH Eclipse (or I'm guessing a standard CH Yoke) like me, the Obutton R3volution just won't work. It seems wierd since CH is so popular, you'd think the yokes would be easily attachable. Perhaps this stand works better with a center-post mounting system like that of the Saitek?

4. There are no additional attachments for the center post to change the steering/yoke height OR add-on to make another "level" lower for attacking wheels/yokes. The table for the Ozone won't work with the R3volution.

These are a few of the issues I noticed. While I like my R3volution, I may have steered clear if I knew there was no seat height adjutability. I honestly can't see somebody smaller than 6"+ enjoying this steering height for flying sims or racing sims. I'm sure it is possible to buy some spacers for seat height but after spending $850+ not including the A10 Warthog mount it would have been nice to get more adjustability in the seat height/spinal area where a wheel/yoke attaches.

I don't know, the rig is definitely stable, but I'm not sure how feasible it is for anything outside of a work/FPS rig (or if you play DCS A10....the A10 mount is AWESOME). The stearing column/yoke height is just TOO high. It needs to be about 3-5 inches lower and wider for pilots who want to use a yoke. Really, this is what sort of puts me off the most. I'm considering just using my desk for Flightsims and the Obutto for FPS's....little expensive for a FPS setup though.

Anybody know if spacers would increase the seat height, and if so, where to buy them?

Mounting the Eclipse Yoke? My solution... <--CLICK

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3786916 - 05/24/13 03:30 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost

Mounting the Eclipse Yoke? My solution... <--CLICK

Interesting setup, Ghost! Was it hard to put together?

I wish the CH Eclipse had the same mount as the Saitek Cessna Proflight, the mount works great with the stock Obutto Revolution rig.

As a side question, have you done any mods to your Eclipse with regards to Axis travel smoothness or anything like that?

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#3786963 - 05/24/13 11:39 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: Ark]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC

Interesting setup, Ghost! Was it hard to put together?

I wish the CH Eclipse had the same mount as the Saitek Cessna Proflight, the mount works great with the stock Obutto Revolution rig.

As a side question, have you done any mods to your Eclipse with regards to Axis travel smoothness or anything like that?

Hard? No, as long as you can use a miter saw, drill, glue, measuring tape and have a good eye, well maybe two wink I've done nothing to the Yoke except beta test as my ad says.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3836401 - 09/13/13 02:43 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
obutto Offline
obutto  Offline

CHINA | USA
Hey Ark,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, my apologies for not replying. Anyhow, regarding the main mount height, I agree it's a bit high when using a yoke compared to any plane I've flown that has a yoke but due to many reasons we couldn't make it any lower when we introduced the cockpit.

With that said we partnered with China's largest military & general aviation simulator manufacturer, and have developed a yoke mount to plug into the centre stick mounting post. While I sorta like this, I'm still leaning towards designing a main mount that drops down a bit. The difficult part is the crazy different sizes of yoke consoles, such as how crazy long the Saitek Cessna console is compared to more standard setups, and we haven't even gotten into the high end stuff that I've seen some of our customers using. Anyhow, just know you're not left hanging, it just takes me time to get inspired to design, but pretty soon we'll have a solution for ya man wink

In the meantime it's an easy fix to raise the seat though. Just put some spacers under the seat rails, and we have some customers using wood, fab'd steel, whatever you're comfortable with, and then you just get longer bolts to accommodate the difference in length. Outta the box our seat bolts are 50mm long if memory serves.

Re anyone under 6ft not being able to enjoy the cockpit for sim racing or flight sim's, thousands of customers around world that are mostly under 6ft, especially here in Asia, and they are having a blast in their obutto cockpits! For racing, I designed both our cockpits to achieve a proper race driving position. Sadly, most simracers set their steering wheels far too low, but since I had always tracked my own car I knew the importance of a proper race driving position as it makes a huge difference with car control. Here's a page I've always had on our site's over the past 7yrs to hopefully shed some light to all the simracers out there Proper Race Driving Position

Hope this helps man, and in case you haven't already, pop by the obutto forums to keep up to date on what we're upto wink

To everyone else, sry I vanished again but been uber busy with all the business'y part of obutto. I'll be around more though, and will try to keep all you guys/gals updated with some cool stuff we're coming out with in the near'ish future wink All the best!

Chris

Last edited by obutto; 10/11/13 10:35 AM.
#3907841 - 02/06/14 03:36 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
TigerL0rd Offline
TigerL0rd  Offline

Quebec
Thanks a lot for this thread! I'm an initiate to sim pit building. I recently acquired a Warthog (upgrading from the X52 Pro) in anticipation of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. I played some IL-2 with keyboard and mouse briefly a decade ago, but was always turned on more by space.

The Warthog really opened my eyes to the "you get what you pay for" motto. It also made me aware of the advancements in flight sims technologies like TrackIR. Trying TrackIR for the first time made me really giddy. So I decided to take the full plunge and got pedals as well, and changed my PLP (20"/30"/20") monitor setup to LLL (triple 30"). The effect is astonishing, but I never got to enjoy all of those peripherals and gadgets because I couldn't bear to play for more than 30 minutes. This was my setup.Pic1 Pic2

I immediately regretted the purchase of that stand for two reasons:
1- positioning is awful
2- I can't use the pedals correctly because I keep skidding

I wasn't sure about my options until I ended up on this forum and read the reviews on the Obutto desks. Yeah it's a lot of money (especially when factoring shipping and taxes... which is $360 on top of MSRP for the R3volution in my case) but consider chairs like the Steelcase Leap that cost 900$... the R3volution began to make sense.

Ultimately it was this entire thread and Chris' active participation that convinced me to pull the trigger, and when I saw there was even a brand new Warthog support for the R3volution, I knew it was meant to be.

I'll be ordering the R3volution tomorrow, with the tabletops and the A10 stick+throttle support. I confirmed with Milan that his MFG Crosswind pedals could be modded to accommodate the 48cm clearing space of the R3volution (his pedals have a 49.4cm footprint). He sells a W.A.P. set for 19EUR that reduces the width to 46.4cm. Upgrading from the X52 to the Warthog is what convinced me to upgrade from the Saitek pro combat pedals to the MFG, too.

Thanks for the article and this thread, it was very helpful.

Edit: grammar

Last edited by TigerL0rd; 02/06/14 03:38 AM.
#3907845 - 02/06/14 03:56 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
TigerL0rd Offline
TigerL0rd  Offline

Quebec
Would three of these fit on the triple monitor stand?

#3907928 - 02/06/14 02:07 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: TigerL0rd]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Originally Posted By: TigerL0rd
Would three of these fit on the triple monitor stand?

Mate,I'm not too up on tech, but these only run 30hz @ the UHD (something to do with HDMI only being capable), so at the moment as a gaming monitor they are not too hot. Although, they do 1080 at something like 120hx I'm led to believe, but why buy that for 1080?

Just a heads up.

#3907930 - 02/06/14 02:10 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
TigerL0rd Offline
TigerL0rd  Offline

Quebec
I already have three U3014 monitors on my workstation, but IPS panels aren't best suited for gaming and I thought something bigger than 30" would improve immersion. However I doubt 1080p will look good on a screen this size when we're close to it.

30mhz is enough for me, I don't play FPS games much.

Even if I did get three of those 39", it would be a lot of pixels to generate. I'd probably need three 290X at least.

Last edited by TigerL0rd; 02/06/14 02:11 PM.
#3908828 - 02/07/14 10:59 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Is there a way to put a keyboard tray on the center spine mount? I like side mounted sticks and that location for a keyboard tray would be great.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3908830 - 02/07/14 11:02 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
You could, but since it mounts to either side of the tray, not the center, it might be a little awkward. I keep mine to the right when flying to use the mouse, and move my keyboard to one of the acrylic tabletops that can be positioned just about anywhere you want.

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#3908839 - 02/07/14 11:29 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Maybe I will get a Humanscale keyboard tray and attempt to mod it.

#3909706 - 02/10/14 06:00 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
TigerL0rd Offline
TigerL0rd  Offline

Quebec
Has anyone here mounted a Warthog with extension (10cm or 15cm) to the R3volution?

#3910668 - 02/12/14 04:57 AM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: shan2]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: shan2
Is there a way to put a keyboard tray on the center spine mount? I like side mounted sticks and that location for a keyboard tray would be great.

See about mounting your keyboard to the steering wheel mount in the middle. The stock keyboard tray won't fit, but you don't have to use it. I've disconnected mine completely and use one of the acrylic tabletop mounts for my keyboard.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3911214 - 02/13/14 02:56 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Well, I've finagled the keyboard tray onto the center stick mount. It kinda works. It's just a little difficult to get in and out of the cockpit.

#3938455 - 04/12/14 11:30 PM Re: Review: Obutto R3Volution Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
TigerL0rd Offline
TigerL0rd  Offline

Quebec
Here's my rig:

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.