Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3908098 - 02/06/14 07:18 PM Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots?  
Madmatt Offline
Madmatt  Offline

Florence, Indiana
Some of my most memorable missions are ones in which things go wrong. Gun jams just as I line up a pesky Fokker. Engine malfunctions in the middle of a routine mission. Conservation of those last precious rounds in case I get jumped. The immersion these elements add is great.

It occurred to me that other than seeing my squadmates on occasion fall out of formation due to a faulty engine, I wasn't sure how much WOFF models these things for all of the AI.

So, does WOFF fully track MG ammo amounts for all planes in the air? I dont think I have ever seen a AI plane or Observer ever run out of ammo.

What about jams, can or will the AI ever encounter a gun jam?

A related question would be if less experienced AI pilots will waste more ammo by taking longer ranged or higher deflection shots which have a lower probability of hitting (spray and pray)?

Lastly, as I said, I know it can affect members of my own squad, but does WOFF also track regular mishaps and malfunctions for all other AI craft?

Thanks for any info that can be provided. I was just curious. smile

Madmatt

Last edited by Madmatt; 02/06/14 07:18 PM.

I used to make computer games for a living so you didn't have to!

My Rig:
CPU: i7 7700K o/c to 5Ghz
GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL RGB DDR4 (3600MHz)
Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB SSD's, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA SSD, 1 WD Passport 2TB USB HDD
Display: ASUS 34" PG348Q, ASUS 27" VG278HE
Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crossfire Rudder Pedals, CH Pro Throttle
TrackIR, Oculus Quest 2
#3908172 - 02/06/14 08:43 PM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave I have had AI a/c turn back or head home don't know if they ran out of ammo or damage.

#3908189 - 02/06/14 09:01 PM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
chrispdm1 Offline
chrispdm1  Offline

NE Saskatchewan
I'm positive I've had the other memebers of my flight run out of ammo, as we were all on the tail of a plane and no one was shooting.

#3908192 - 02/06/14 09:15 PM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
RexHannover Offline
RexHannover  Offline

Hi there

>>>> does WOFF fully track MG ammo amounts for all planes in the air?

yes. And an AI with no or very low ammo will likely try to escape at the first opportunity. Same with low fuel.

>>>>> What about jams, can or will the AI ever encounter a gun jam?

All guns can jam and the AI know what to do about it.

>>>>> [will] less experienced AI pilots will waste more ammo by taking longer ranged or higher deflection shots which have a lower probability of hitting

Lower skill levels will take lower probability shots and use more ammo. They don't shoot at a longer range but they will shoot at worse angles.

>>>>> does WOFF also track regular mishaps and malfunctions for all other AI craft?

yes it does.

... rex

#3908201 - 02/06/14 09:34 PM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Thank you for confirmation, Rex!
I had witnessed several E/A suddenly breaking off and flying away,
although they had had a clear advantage.
Now I know why they did.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3908221 - 02/06/14 10:18 PM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
Slick Wilhelm Offline
Slick Wilhelm  Offline

Rochester, MN
Originally Posted By: Madmatt
Some of my most memorable missions are ones in which things go wrong.

I concur. I would go so far to say that the random failures are the single best feature of WOFF. I've seen wingman suddenly drop out of formation and crash or make a forced landing.

Just the other night, after an uneventful patrol over enemy lines, the engine of my Spad S.VII crapped out over my own base. Luckily, I was at 13,000 ft and had plenty of time to think things through. My attempts at restarting the motor were futile, however, so it was a dead-stick landing at the ol' aerodrome for me!

My first reaction when my engine quit was "sh$@!". Immediately after, my thoughts were "God, I love this game and the devs who added this feature."

I7-9700k@4.9 GHZ
16 GB RAM
GTX 2080 8 GB VRAM
2 x 1 TB SSD
32" Dell S3220DGF curved gaming monitor @ 2560 x 1440p @ 165 Hz
Sound BlasterX G6 External USB sound card
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Headphones
Thrustmaster TM16000 FCS HOTAS
Logitec Pro Flight Pedals
TrackIR 5
#3908226 - 02/06/14 10:32 PM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yeah, I had a warning on returning from a sortie today.
I have "Simulation Warnings" left on, because I have no Force Feedback stick,
and so the stall warnings are still quite helpful.
Approaching our field - which is situated in the midst of a giant forest -
I received a warning about my "oil-something" (forgot what it was exactly).

That was a bit nasty. Should I turn and try to land on a meadow outside the forest,
or should I try and make it to land there? I tried it, and was lucky.
But a sudden forced landing would have possibly killed me amongst the trees.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3908284 - 02/07/14 12:41 AM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
Madmatt Offline
Madmatt  Offline

Florence, Indiana
Yup, same thing occurred to me last night. It's actually one of the events that made me think of my questions above.

I was flying a patrol on June 16th 1915 over the enemy lines in my brand new E.1 as part of FA 48b. I'd heard talk on the forum about how beautiful the Alsace terrain was and I have to admit I felt guilty that in all my years of playing OFF and now WOFF, I had never tried any region besides Flanders!

Anyway, I was cruising along, around 3000 feet when up ahead I caught sight of a pair or Morane Parasols heading back from patrol. They seemed to be setting up to land so I had the height and speed advantage. I signaled to my wingman to get ready to engage. When the range closed at about 200 yards the Parasols banked over to prepare for their final approach. They hadn't spotted me! Victory was to be mine... Or so I thought.

I waited until the Morane filled my sight, 90 yards, 80, 70. Time to light him up! I pressed the trigger and listened as my anemic Spandau fired what seemed like 1 bullet a minute.. Pop.....Pop.....Pop.. Whoops! I guess I had grown a little too used to the faster ROF in the latter years! These early guns didn't have much punch to them! The Moranes observer sure saw me now and began to fire back, but his aim was off.

After about 6 or 7 seven rounds, I banked over to go for another pass when suddenly I heard my engine start to misfire and sputter out. Sure enough a message about a blown Oil Regulator or some such popped up, then my RPMs dropped as did I... right unto the enemy landing strip! I had avoided the wrath of the enemy return fire only to have a wonky engine do me in.

I figured maybe the enemy pilots would treat me a little better than groundpounders, so I landed on the field and began to taxi toward a parked enemy aircraft. Of course the slew of MG's around the base took no chances and continued to fire into me as I came to stop just a few yards away from an enemy hanger.

I survived this embarrassment and was informed that although I was captured I managed to escape a few days later to return safely to my squadron.

Honestly, what other sim can come close to that?

That mission had everything! Beautiful scenery. Unique early war aircraft (Fokker E1 and the Parasols). Realistic AI that I was able to get the jump on. Realistic weapon performance and ROF. A random malfunction that caused me to land on an enemy air field. My pilots capture and eventual escape!

Yeah, it don't get much more complete and immersive than that!

Madmatt

Last edited by Madmatt; 02/07/14 12:47 AM.

I used to make computer games for a living so you didn't have to!

My Rig:
CPU: i7 7700K o/c to 5Ghz
GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL RGB DDR4 (3600MHz)
Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB SSD's, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA SSD, 1 WD Passport 2TB USB HDD
Display: ASUS 34" PG348Q, ASUS 27" VG278HE
Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crossfire Rudder Pedals, CH Pro Throttle
TrackIR, Oculus Quest 2
#3908421 - 02/07/14 11:01 AM Re: Question. Ammo, Engine Mishaps and Jams, do they affect all AI pilots? [Re: Madmatt]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Nice story! one of "my" pilots died while being only passenger of a Be2c during his first training flight...the pilot instructor did not deal very well a dead engine and we crashed ...weird feeling when you cannot take the controle yourself !

Last edited by kaa; 02/07/14 11:01 AM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM