Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3901329 - 01/25/14 03:38 AM This is REALLY good  
DKM Offline
DKM  Offline

Six months or so ago I posted a post in the general community forum, lamenting the fact that over the years I've gradually lost my love of flight sims. But I said that rather than give up, I was going to upgrade one last time, to a very fast system, and see if that helped.

So that's what I did. I picked out a spiffy new Alienware and selected top-drawer components for it: a liquid-cooled system, a fast-as-fast-is CPU (thanks for the allusion, I-76 :), 32 GB of RAM, a 680 that was subsequently swapped out for a 780 TI, two monster hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration (so that I could install basically every game I've owned and loved in the last two decades)--the whole nine yards, backed up by my preexisting HOTAS and TrackIR and whatnot.

It didn't really work. Sure, CLOD was now a viable option (thanks in large part to the great work of Team Fusion), and BOB 2 (one of my favorites from way back) was finally smooth even when I was attacking bomber formations with probably hundreds of planes, and I even had better luck getting some old favorites like Janes F-15 to run (the Alt-Ctr-Del trick finally worked!), but at the end of the day, stutter-free gameplay and incredible graphics weren't really funner. They were nice, and maybe even necessary, but not sufficient.

I began to worry that I'd wasted my money and--more importantly--that I had finally reached a stage where I was beyond recovery in terms of the joys of our hobby. But then I bought WOFF (I also have OFF but hadn't played it in a while), and in playing it, I rediscovered much of the pleasure I used to feel back in the day, when Sierra/Dynamix and Microprose ruled the world, and when games like the Red Baron and, later, Falcon 4 just about wiped out my college GPA.

There are lots of reasons why, for me at least, WOFF is such a pleasure to play (and in celebrating it I don't mean to disparage other worthy programs like ROF and BOB 2 and the alpha version of IL-2 BOS--which is absolutely kicking my butt at the moment--and so forth; I support them all, both with my purchases and with my forum comments). But rather than list WOFF's particular strengths in detail, I simply want to say this to the people who are responsible for the program: Thank you. You've done amazing work.

DKM

#3901350 - 01/25/14 05:22 AM Re: This is REALLY good [Re: DKM]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

wave I agree, This game rocks. Great Fun. My flight of three was bounced by 5 N-17s. We knock down 1 and managed to survive and all our a/c had light damage. Another time My 2 a/c went to help our top cover of 6 who were jumped by 2 flights of N-24's. ( 8 or 10) They hit then ran for home. The top cover had 2 forced down and 3 Lt damage 1 pilot wounded. The French 0 shot down. I am surprised every time I fly WOFF. Thank You for putting fun back in sims.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War