Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3899133 - 01/21/14 05:11 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Timothy]  
theKhan Offline
resident pacifist (sic)
theKhan  Offline
resident pacifist (sic)

Canada
Originally Posted By: Timothy
Makes me glad to know I've put a bunch of cats in the ground. The lady wasn't hurting the cat and was just trying to get it to go away after the cat attacked a dog. The cat just was vicious and I hope it felt pain being put down.

Why would you wish pain on an animal?? They're hardly sentient.

I used to work for a living, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3899139 - 01/21/14 05:20 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Timothy]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Makes me glad to know I've put a bunch of cats in the ground. The lady wasn't hurting the cat and was just trying to get it to go away after the cat attacked a dog. The cat just was vicious and I hope it felt pain being put down.

Really? rolleyes

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3899189 - 01/21/14 06:38 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Right, whatever- killing animals are fine accomplishments, except that:

1) It could be illegal.

2) From a personal standpoint, killing animals is a classic symptom of having certain personality problems. Children are often mean to animals because they're immature, but a pattern of killing animals that continues on is often diagnosed in troubled adults. It's not hard to see why- killing and torturing something that is relatively weaker and easy to get away with appeals to a certain shady character.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3899202 - 01/21/14 06:53 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Or government.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3899264 - 01/21/14 08:34 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Timothy]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME

The thing is, cats aren't domesticated in the manner that dogs are. Every cat, no matter how friendly or timid, is really a little wild animal. Ferals like this cat aren't socialized and don't always act in a manner that we think is appropriate. It's appropriate from the cat's point of view, though. Like any other animal, a cat, feral or otherwise, isn't going to attack another animal or dog for no reason. No reason that WE understand, maybe, but it's a valid reason to the cat. A dog wags its tail when it's happy or wants to play, but when a cat's tail is wagging it's upset or angry and any dog that thinks it wants to play is going to get hurt. Staring a cat in the eyes can set off an instinctive defensive reaction - if you're ever staring a cat in the eyes and you see the pupils contract you're about to get attacked. Being near its food or something it considers as its own are other reasons they attack. Most likely the dog did one of these things in a totally innocent manner and the cat reacted the way it's programmed. Ferals usually take months upon months to socialize, and a lot of them never do and are therefore not safe to have around other animals or young kids.

If the woman had just put it down outside the gate and went back inside she would have been fine. Instead, she had to keep driving it back a step and advancing on it further. She was 20-30 times the cat's size and in the cat's perception was threatening it, so it did the only thing it could do. Why is it so many people will tell how they'd shoot someone who was threatening them and putting them in fear for their life, yet blame an animal for defending itself in a similar situation?

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3899277 - 01/21/14 09:02 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

People who kill animals either lure them or they are trapping them if they aren't pets- in order to kill them, killing for its own sake. It's a type of anti-social, predatory inclination. Cats aren't easy to corner and bag anyway, and you can't just plug away at strays with a firearm if you live in the suburbs or in the city. It's usually purposefully and methodically, it requires planning ahead with some effort.

#3899328 - 01/21/14 10:37 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
Not always Kontakt. When I lived in the country we had a problem with a neighbor that was a crazy cat lady. A lot of her cats started going feral and attacking people's dogs and horses and various small farm animals. County animal control couldn't get every one of the cats and left it up to the property owners to take care of the ones that were missed.

Of course had the animal control officer ask us 3 or 4 times if we had seen a red chow around because it kept attacking dogs and harassing people. Finally told us if we see it and can safely do so to kill it because it had injured a horse bad enough that it had to be put down.

No matter how "domesticated" an animal is all of them are still wild to a greater or lesser degree.

Silent enim legēs inter arma.

Cave canem, te necet lingendo.
#3899334 - 01/21/14 10:45 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Timothy]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada

The cat just was vicious and I hope it felt pain being put down.

I`m sure upon reflection you would admit that you didn`t really mean that.

Question everything!
#3899340 - 01/21/14 10:53 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Allaire]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Allaire
Not always Kontakt. When I lived in the country we had a problem with a neighbor that was a crazy cat lady. A lot of her cats started going feral and attacking people's dogs and horses and various small farm animals. County animal control couldn't get every one of the cats and left it up to the property owners to take care of the ones that were missed.

That probably doesn't fit the case here, though- you can probably read what's going on when people express joy or sound like they're bragging about it.

It's a similar psychological reward as pyromania- people who start fires because of psychological gratification in the act itself. They tend to linger and return to watch the scene, record the scene, take trophies, commit the act repeatedly. They aren't starting controlled fires for purposes of clearing brush, it's the act itself which motivates them.

Someone like Michael Vick is a convicted felon because of this sort of personality, not because he was performing some population control service.

#3899343 - 01/21/14 11:02 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Allaire
animal control officer ask us 3 or 4 times if we had seen a red chow around ... Finally told us ... to kill it because it had injured a horse bad enough that it had to be put down.

Whoa, that sounds like a real keeper!

Catzilla the horse slayer ... jawdrop

#3899350 - 01/21/14 11:12 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Actually, I was lost in the point of the story where it went from crazy cats to a chow. I used to have chows, they are reclusive dogs around strangers and don't go looking for trouble, but they can be mean if approached.

#3899354 - 01/21/14 11:18 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Oh - yeah, that sounds more credible than a cat downing a horse. Not that Chow-chows are terribly impressive at first sight either but I have less of a hard time believing that.

#3899357 - 01/21/14 11:22 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

They're medium build, but stocky, strong dogs- it may be the appearance, but a chow when sheared of its coat doesn't look like a teddy bear anymore. Going for walks, they definitely like to take the owner for a walk.

#3899360 - 01/21/14 11:25 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
They're a Chinese breed for cold climates, right?
Blue tongues?

#3899364 - 01/21/14 11:29 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Yeah. All purpose dogs, one of the oldest extant breeds known, bred for fighting, bred as house guards, and raised as food. That's probably why they're naturally wary of strangers and prefer to keep company around others they know, terrible dog to have when friends come over because they see them and want to pet them, the dogs would rather go hide somewhere.

#3899368 - 01/21/14 11:33 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
From what she told me it had attacked the horse and got some good bites in. It spooked the horse and chased it into/through a fence. No one knew what caused the chow to lose it but it happened. Point is never underestimate the damage that an animal can cause.

#3899374 - 01/21/14 11:40 PM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Of course. In comparison to humans, animal strength is in a different class- pound for pound, animals are often stronger and quicker, have a stronger bite, have greater endurance, and so on.

#3899382 - 01/22/14 12:08 AM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

Me, I like cats, they kill mice. More useful than most humans in that regard (and yes, I really hate mice). As regards the woman, feral or semi-feral cats are very territorial and don't take to getting pushed around lightly, obviously. Maybe its my misanthropy, but she was asking for it.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I dont have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3899401 - 01/22/14 12:45 AM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying

The cat just was vicious and I hope it felt pain being put down.

I`m sure upon reflection you would admit that you didn`t really mean that.

I put humans above animals, so while it is just an animal, it had a long tendency of attacking others.

I feel more for the woman than I do the cat. She fed that cat so it wouldn't suffer and it decided to bite the hand that fed it. Do I think it should be tortured? No, but I hope it instinctively felt some of what it gave to the lady.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3899411 - 01/22/14 01:22 AM Re: Woman kicks snow at defenceless cat [Re: Chucky]  
Allaire Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent
Allaire  Offline
Donkeystrength Proponent

AR, USA
Hell she saved it from being euthanized in the first place.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.