Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
#3896764 - 01/17/14 12:04 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
I'm sorry folks but I just don't get this programme.
Every time I'm at my friends house he and his always seem to be watching it and that is my cue to bolt.Granted I have struggled through a few episodes but I would prefer to pour salt into my eyes to be honest,
I just can't seem to get the humour,shows like this and "Friends" spring to mind,when every word they say,it's to try and get some kind of laugh from every bloody sentence,hate it with a passion.
Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3896800 - 01/17/14 01:36 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: 3instein]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: 3instein
when every word they say,it's to try and get some kind of laugh from every bloody sentence,hate it with a passion.
Mick. smile

It's a sitcom. LOL
Not designed for everyone, but certainly popular. We enjoy it, but I like a show featuring nerds rather than a bunch of male and female models, each one trying to be more cool than the rest, or insult comedy. I get tired of shows with "the hot blonde", "the funny hot brunette", "the cool girl-getting guy", "the funny cool guy" and of course the homosexual _________ whatever is funnier at the time. Formula sitcom, and yeah, I think Friends pretty much started it, although they weren't exactly that mold.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3896804 - 01/17/14 01:42 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I haven't cared for sitcoms since I was a kid in the 80's.

I admit though that I've seen a couple of episodes of BBT and I found it funny most of the time. I'm just not a sitcom type of person.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3896970 - 01/17/14 05:13 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Destructis
It will be Sheldon's baby and Amy will go ape **** and kill them all.

Lol, I think she would subject them to one of her scientific studies and dissect their brains.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3896990 - 01/17/14 05:47 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Sitcoms are all I can watch other than documentaries- however, I don't watch most sitcoms. The animated shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, and the crass, weird stuff.

I can't stand all the network action and drama series- corny and unrealistic as hell. I can't believe what I'm watching, I don't get the point of these shows.

Next on Rogue Warrior: A former cop has sold out to Al Qaeda and stolen a submarine, can overachieving d-bag Special Agent Skylar Ryan scramble his brain with a secret code stolen from a leaked White House press kit? STFU. What am I, a schmuck?

No one gets out of here alive.

#3896999 - 01/17/14 06:01 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Will people 20 years from now think the same thing about shows like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family or Community?

Could very well be- look at The Honey Mooners- does that cut it in 2014? What is funny is what they considered funny back then- jokes about punching your wife out to the moon. It's not the joke and delivery that's funny, it's the fact that it's supposed to be funny to make jokes like that. Sort of a product of that age.

Giligan's Island, Three's Company, Partridge Family, Leave it to Beaver- these shows just are a products of a different time.

If shows like Brady Bunch have any relevance it's because they were so campy- they are iconic and have a cultural impact. Even if people are making fun of it, everyone knows what it is.

#3897038 - 01/17/14 07:06 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: 3instein]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
Originally Posted By: 3instein
I'm sorry folks but I just don't get this programme.
Every time I'm at my friends house he and his always seem to be watching it and that is my cue to bolt.Granted I have struggled through a few episodes but I would prefer to pour salt into my eyes to be honest,
I just can't seem to get the humour,shows like this and "Friends" spring to mind,when every word they say,it's to try and get some kind of laugh from every bloody sentence,hate it with a passion.
Mick. smile

I'm right there with you, don't find this show funny at all. She's hot but not enough to watch the show...

#3897042 - 01/17/14 07:10 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

I don't think Penny is hot at all- she's mainly a foil for the nerds, but I think her character isn't much use except for something the nerds to bounce off of- the character isn't very funny but is supposed to come off rather more human or more typical to provide balance.

I think in time the show will either jump the shark or simply recognize it had its run.

#3897044 - 01/17/14 07:12 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Kontakt5]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5

I think in time the show will either jump the shark or simply recognize it had its run.
How many seasons has it been on the air now? I think it's something like 6 or 7? Even if it does jump the shark it will still remain a hugely successful show that made a TON of money for CBS.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3897048 - 01/17/14 07:16 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Which is why shows jump the shark- shows that aren't successful in the first place just get cancelled. Shows that make money- well, the networks are trying to wring everything they can out of it before the inevitable collapse. So long as it's doing well, it's fine. Jumping the shark occurs when someone at the network feels that the show is in danger of losing its audience, so they throw something in there trying to juice it up.

#3897051 - 01/17/14 07:20 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

I don't know how to explain the success of a show like The Simpsons- which I believe is the longest running sitcom in history, but my theory is that it has the advantage in the fact that it's animated- the characters don't grow up or grow old, move on in life (the voices behind them have died), but the images of them are the same- Bart and the other kids would be in their 30s now, the parents would be entering the age of senior citizens, that show would have long been axed before that happened, or they would have had a spinoff episode. Eventually Sheldon and Penny will get old or something happens in their real life that will have to cut the show off, at some point.

#3897063 - 01/17/14 07:39 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Destructis Offline
Hotshot
Destructis  Offline
Hotshot

Anne Arundel County, MD
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Originally Posted By: Destructis
It will be Sheldon's baby and Amy will go ape **** and kill them all.

Lol, I think she would subject them to one of her scientific studies and dissect their brains.

Wheels

Hell, she taught monkeys how to smoke.

Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
Giligan's Island, Three's Company, Partridge Family, Leave it to Beaver- these shows just are a products of a different time.

Well speaking of monkeys and kids shows in the same thread, I can't let it go without posting this.

(Funny, I posted the same video on another board earlier today. It was in a thread about the Professor dying and watching shows as kids)

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
#3897066 - 01/17/14 07:44 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
The show stopped being funny around halfway through season 6. The writers obviously struggle to come up with new ideas, and instead of advancing the characters in a meaningful way, they just make them more extreme (by grotesquely overdoing their quirks).

I call it the "Chuck Lorre Factor": every show he's ever done started out fresh and funny, but after a couple of seasons suddenly drops off significantly in quality (basically over night). Could be that he's putting his effort (and that of his top writers) into a new show at the expense of the current one. Two and a half men began declining in quality around the time Big Bang Theory took off.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3897073 - 01/17/14 07:51 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Strange thing about this show- I'm usually slow catching on to things, I've only known about this show for about 2 years. It's on several different networks every night, yet for a show that's so old now, it seems like less than a dozen of the same episodes get aired. There must be more than these, but based on the repeats, it seems like the show must be only about one season's worth of episodes.

#3897117 - 01/17/14 08:34 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The problem lies with the way the US network tv business model is set up. It encourages the continual airing of a show even if it has been creatively stagnant for a long time. As long as the tv ratings are there, the network will continue to milk a show for all that its worth.

#3905658 - 02/02/14 12:36 AM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
IMO the latest episode was an all time low (so far) for the show. They even ruined James Earl Jones' guest appearance. The subplots were incredibly unfunny and pointless. confused Who writes for the show these days? A bunch of teenagers?

They are currently showing reruns here on TV, and those first 3 seasons are still funny, and I must have seen these episodes a couple of time by now.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3906039 - 02/02/14 08:10 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
My wife and I loved the James Earl Jones episode. We expected him to reject Sheldon and probably call the police on him. Instead, he acted totally opposite of what one would think he would have. The topper was the Carrie Fisher scene: "It's not funny anymore James!" "Then why am I laughing?"

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#3906079 - 02/02/14 09:00 PM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: vocatx]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Originally Posted By: vocatx
My wife and I loved the James Earl Jones episode. We expected him to reject Sheldon and probably call the police on him. Instead, he acted totally opposite of what one would think he would have. The topper was the Carrie Fisher scene: "It's not funny anymore James!" "Then why am I laughing?"

Yeah I thought it all was pretty good as well.
I did LOL at the Carrie Fisher scene, too.
"It's not funny any more, James!"
"Then why am I laughing?"

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#3917450 - 02/27/14 09:07 AM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Still enjoying this show. Looking forward to seeing how they spin the latest Sheldon and Amy story line.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4032391 - 11/06/14 01:52 AM Re: Big Bang Theory [Re: Destructis]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Seem to have lost all interest in it lately. Tried watching the first couple of episodes of the new season and it just seems off and unfunny. Like getting the guaranteed three year contract caused everybody to just start phoning it in...

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.