Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3894062 - 01/12/14 05:45 PM Bit of Bad Luck..  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

Don't normally post mission accounts, but this one made me jump..

RFC 56, 1917, pilot with 8 missions, over the front patrol, assignment completed, nothing to report, heading for home field. Nice weather, I'll enjoy the completion of the flight.

All of a sudden, the SE5 engine revs down and quits at about 8,000 ft. OK..I'm not bad at "dead stick" flying, so I'll glide back, get as far as I can, and put her down in friendly territory.

Then out of nowhere..rounds start whizzing by..I was so unaware, I nearly jumped out of my chair..the a/c is getting shot up, my pilot, is hit, and health drops to 47%.

I nose the "glider" down in a steep decent but this AI Jasta pilot is hammering the SE5 and not giving an inch..and now I'm thinking what happened to "letting a lame duck off the hook, mate?" As I got farther away from the front he finally turned back. The WOOF AI is terrific.

More immersed then usual, not wanting to lose this pilot, I eventually put down in a field

#3894065 - 01/12/14 05:51 PM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: cptroyce]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
"Immersion" sneaks up on you?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#3894077 - 01/12/14 06:42 PM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: cptroyce]  
Seamus Offline
Seamus  Offline

Long Island NY
One thing I learned early on about WOFF is that it isn't ROF. No matter where you go in WOFF, there is always something going on, whether you see it or not. That is what makes WOFF so immersive, it puts you in the cockpit of an aircraft during the great war! If you know anything about piloting a WWI aircraft, it should be this, there is no relaxing, your head should be on a constant swivel. You seemed to have learned the hard way without it being too hard. Even when I am over my home field, getting ready to land, I still look all around. By the way, if I were you, I would jump on that curious horse and gallop back to my airfield.

Last edited by Seamus; 01/12/14 06:44 PM.
#3894083 - 01/12/14 06:54 PM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: Seamus]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted By: Seamus
One thing I learned early on about WOFF is that it isn't ROF. No matter where you go in WOFF, there is always something going on, whether you see it or not. That is what makes WOFF so immersive, it puts you in the cockpit of an aircraft during the great war! If you know anything about piloting a WWI aircraft, it should be this, there is no relaxing, your head should be on a constant swivel. You seemed to have learned the hard way without it being too hard. Even when I am over my home field, getting ready to land, I still look all around.

+1 my hand is always on my Stick yep ha ha,but i agree totally Seamus take your eyes away for a second and your history,im swiveling for wingmen,ground fire,scanning the skys etc...one full mission with no accelerated time and im knackered,how the Airmen from all sides did it in the Great war beggers belief.Playing first OFF with HITR and now WOFF it honestly really bought home to me what these incredible men achieved,and since then ive brought No Parachute,open Cockpit,Winged victory and Sagittarius Rising,4 fantastic books well worth anyones Time

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#3894096 - 01/12/14 07:29 PM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: Seamus]  
nhill40 Offline
nhill40  Offline

Originally Posted By: Seamus
One thing I learned early on about WOFF is that it isn't ROF. No matter where you go in WOFF, there is always something going on, whether you see it or not. That is what makes WOFF so immersive, it puts you in the cockpit of an aircraft during the great war! If you know anything about piloting a WWI aircraft, it should be this, there is no relaxing, your head should be on a constant swivel. You seemed to have learned the hard way without it being too hard. Even when I am over my home field, getting ready to land, I still look all around. By the way, if I were you, I would jump on that curious horse and gallop back to my airfield.

^ My thoughts exactly. RoF is beautifully done sim - great FM, sights/sounds/etc - but the immersion factor is SO much higher in OFF/WOFF, IMO.

The AI is a big part of this - you really get the sense of being in a war in WOFF. All the different flights you run into are pursuing their own agendas - to what extent you factor into those agendas is largely up to you/the AI's response. RoF AI seems to suffer from a "fight to the death" mentality that sorta ruins the feeling for me somewhat.

This is the same concept that makes the "Close Combat" so much fun - you really got the sense that those little sprites crawling around your screen *actually* wanted to stay alive!

#3894100 - 01/12/14 07:35 PM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: cptroyce]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
I would guess the sounds in WOFF are immersive and great too ;-)

#3894148 - 01/12/14 09:32 PM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: cptroyce]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

All great points..

I have been flying OFF and now WOFF for years. Well versed in the precautions to take.

It's just that the engine quit almost simultaneously with being attacked..ten seconds prior there was no around me that I could see (no aids used), and as posted I was now thinking about landing.

This sim is just provides tons of enjoyment!!

Last edited by cptroyce; 01/12/14 09:34 PM.
#3894772 - 01/14/14 03:00 AM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: cptroyce]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Any landing you can walk away from... Nicely written up, I'm looking forward to the front!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#3894826 - 01/14/14 05:09 AM Re: Bit of Bad Luck.. [Re: cptroyce]  
Falcon988 Offline
Falcon988  Offline

Originally Posted By: cptroyce
All great points..

I have been flying OFF and now WOFF for years. Well versed in the precautions to take.

It's just that the engine quit almost simultaneously with being attacked..ten seconds prior there was no around me that I could see (no aids used), and as posted I was now thinking about landing.

This sim is just provides tons of enjoyment!!

Sounds like he was above you the whole time. I've been bounced in similar situations. You're very lucky, I've lost two pilots where a German dived on me, fired and destroyed my plane before I even knew he was there or had a chance to react. Last time, by the time it even occurred to me to take evasive action, I was already burning.

JAVITO1986 on the CombatAce forums!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM