Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
#3892274 - 01/09/14 05:01 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT
Robert,

Wondered when you would get your new kit put together. That I-7 should rock.

I haven't had the time to try Sweetfx or D3D8-9 yet. Now that I'm running stable, I'll probably try later this week and get back to you.

I just flew for an hour on 55555 with 4xAA 8XAF and it was just great. The only lag I got at any time was the first few seconds of the mission when textures were loading. What an improvement a 10% overclock made. I'm generally not a big fan of overclocking, but this CPU is easy to get to 4.2 on air with minor voltage increases.

I'm now using D3DOverrider instead of the Vsync tweak in Configoverrides.xml. It's easier to turn Vsync on and off when I want to. I seem to get the same results either way.

Birddog;

did some testing with "D3D9" and "Sweetfx". Had a problem with D3D9 which I haven't resolved, so I took it out of the game for now, but Sweetfx is running fine. Not sure how much of an improvement with image but not affecting me otherwise. I do still get a little ground shimmer on the horizon but it is limited to a line rather than the whole horizon. Suspect it is a texture issue. It seems to disappear mostly when I get to higher altitude (over 1000 ft).

See my post here where I show the errors D3D9 has caused:
D3D9 errors screen cap

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3892307 - 01/09/14 06:27 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: nhill40]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

Originally Posted By: nhill40

What puzzles me is that we have people like yourself who - if I am reading correctly in an earlier post, are running a pretty well-spec'd machine (4.5+ GHz processor, GTX 680) - pulling out all the stops with all of these extreme optimizations trying to minimize stuttering...and then we have others who appear to be running very modest specs saying they are getting great performance. It doesn't seem to add up. Makes me think there is/are some mystery variable/s at play here that we haven't stumbled on yet.

I completely agree with your reasoning nhill40 (except that I'm actually on stock cpu speed).

Also, we are a very few posters on this forum which necessarily doesn't represent the entire body of end users who purchased WOFF. So, it is a possibility that there may be others out there who are running everything just fine without any problems.

For the end user, unfortunately, there are too many variables at play here including drivers, OS setup, registry corruption, incorrectly installing files and even having a bad day at work...

For the game, in my opinion, there are two factors at play: the loading of textures and the dynamic state of calculations used by the AI and other game elements.

If your current system can handle a more advanced game at maximum settings, then you may need tweaking in additional locations besides inspector and workshop. I had to change some of the values in certain files in the C:\users\yourname\Appdata\roaming\Obdgames\OBDWW1\Overflandersfields to find the right balance.

Also, maybe the devs can put up options to remove ground activity, light textures pack or lighten the number of objects.

Anyways, I hope that everyone can sort out their issues because this game is a small revolution in ww1 sims and a true gem.

#3892322 - 01/09/14 07:56 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

I tried out a small test yesterday which had interesting (expected?) results.

Workshop 5-3-4-5-1, Inspector 4xS aa, 4xSGSS, 16xAF, optimizations are OFF, frame ahead at 8, AFR is on, vsync is on, everything else was default.
Created a test pilot in Spring 1915 and flew about 20 missions in campaign - 10 with time accel to the front and had a couple of dogfights with around 5-6 planes, 9 with no time accel and flew around my airbase, and 1 (almost) complete mission with high altitude flying and landing. Got an average of about 50 - 62 FPS with no or minimal stuttering.

Another Test pilot in Summer 1917 with same settings did get me a 10 to 15 FPS loss with no or minimal stuttering.

I can live with the FPS loss, for now.

Last edited by yaan98; 01/09/14 08:58 AM.
#3892802 - 01/10/14 12:51 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Robert,

I haven't had the time to try Sweetfx or D3D8-9 yet. Now that I'm running stable, I'll probably try later this week and get back to you.

I just flew for an hour on 55555 with 4xAA 8XAF and it was just great. The only lag I got at any time was the first few seconds of the mission when textures were loading. What an improvement a 10% overclock made. I'm generally not a big fan of overclocking, but this CPU is easy to get to 4.2 on air with minor voltage increases.

I'm now using D3DOverrider instead of the Vsync tweak in Configoverrides.xml. It's easier to turn Vsync on and off when I want to. I seem to get the same results either way.

Birddog;

did some testing with "D3D9" and "Sweetfx". Had a problem with D3D9 which I haven't resolved, so I took it out of the game for now, but Sweetfx is running fine. Not sure how much of an improvement with image but not affecting me otherwise. I do still get a little ground shimmer on the horizon but it is limited to a line rather than the whole horizon. Suspect it is a texture issue. It seems to disappear mostly when I get to higher altitude (over 1000 ft).

D3D9 errors screen cap

Se my post ##3892775

The D3DSWAPEFFECT tweak causes a conflict with the DX8-DX9 converter and SweetFX.

Last edited by BirdDogICT; 01/10/14 01:49 AM.

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#3892820 - 01/10/14 01:45 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Robert,

Birddog;

D3D9 errors screen cap

Se my post ##3892775

You the D3DSWAPEFFECT tweak causes a conflict with the DX8-DX9 converter and SweetFX.

I reset D3DSWAPEEFFECT back to default and still I have the same error.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3892825 - 01/10/14 01:52 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

I'm stumped, then.

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#3892844 - 01/10/14 02:35 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
I reset D3DSWAPEEFFECT back to default and still I have the same error.

Delete the config file that you manually modified to say _COPY_VSYNC. Launch WOFF. Should re-create the file.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3892940 - 01/10/14 07:00 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Hrmm.. my performance dropped again after patch 1.11. Probably not due to graphics changes since my fps is fine but when I set the game to time compression it bogs down quite a bit more than before. More CPU load?

I just gave up trying to run 4xAA and turned it down to 2xAA along with 2xSupersampling. Working better now - I'll just deal with the extra jaggies on the wires in the external views.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3893083 - 01/10/14 02:51 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Lanzfeld113 Offline
Lanzfeld113  Offline

PA, USA
When somebody says to "disable your onboard sound card and use a usb one" does that mean headphones?

#3893100 - 01/10/14 03:18 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Lanzfeld113]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

Originally Posted By: Lanzfeld113
When somebody says to "disable your onboard sound card and use a usb one" does that mean headphones?

Yes. You can either use a USB headphone or a USB soundcard which connects to a normal headphone.

#3893104 - 01/10/14 03:25 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Lanzfeld113 Offline
Lanzfeld113  Offline

PA, USA
How does a usb headphone take the load off my soundcard? Doesn't my soundcard still create the sounds and just send them to a headphone? I am really curious.

or is this about eliminating the 5.1 thing?

hmmm...this has me thinking. Maybe all my stutters are when I get many sound sources (low to the ground with enemies).
I will try headphones when I get home and then report back.

Its my last grasp at playing this game on this rig.

Last edited by Lanzfeld113; 01/10/14 03:27 PM.
#3893107 - 01/10/14 03:31 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

If you disable the onboard sound from the BIOS, then you're soundcard will not be there when you run windows. From what I understand, the USB headphone comes with its own built-in chip for processing sound and doesn't rely on additional resources of the OS beyond occupying a USB slot (just like your joystick or other controllers just occupy a USB slot).

EDIT: OK. I'd advise you also contact OBD support about you're issue as they're a great team. Also, go read post #3891503 on page 27 of this thread:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3891503/Re_Tweaks_to_get_rid_of_micros#Post3891503

Last edited by yaan98; 01/10/14 04:30 PM.
#3893163 - 01/10/14 04:28 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Yes, USB headsets have their own built-in sound driver.

The ones with ye olde 1/8" stereo plug connects to your sound card's output however, so those don't have their own sound driver.

I've not had any noticeable performance difference between using my USB headset and my onboard sound in WOFF. I generally use my headset later in the evening every night and my desktop speakers (onboard sound) before then. Not any change that I've noticed in performance between the two. *shrug*

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3893166 - 01/10/14 04:33 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Nefaro]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

Originally Posted By: Nefaro

The ones with ye olde 1/8" stereo plug connects to your sound card's output however, so those don't have their own sound driver.

I've not had any noticeable performance difference between using my USB headset and my onboard sound in WOFF. I generally use my headset later in the evening every night and my desktop speakers (onboard sound) before then. Not any change that I've noticed in performance between the two. *shrug*

The only difference would be eliminating a conflicting driver issue if that exists with the onboard sound card.

#3893196 - 01/10/14 05:22 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: yaan98]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Originally Posted By: yaan98
Originally Posted By: Nefaro

The only difference would be eliminating a conflicting driver issue if that exists with the onboard sound card.

Do you think that's an issue?

I mean.. there are pretty much only two onboard sound chip companies out there. May as well be one. So it's not like there is much variety when it comes to make & model of those, specifically.

(For Tech Reference)
#3893508 - 01/11/14 11:19 AM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I don't know what has changed, but I'm seeing even better framerates and even less stuttering after installing the latest patch 1.11. WOFF is now a very smooth experience on my PC.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#3893611 - 01/11/14 05:42 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Hasse]  
nhill40 Offline
nhill40  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hasse
I don't know what has changed, but I'm seeing even better framerates and even less stuttering after installing the latest patch 1.11. WOFF is now a very smooth experience on my PC.

^ This is *really* promising news - you are the 2nd person I've heard say this re: 1.11.

I looked thru the changelog & didn't see anything that specifically mentioned performance improvements, but you have to wonder if maybe the devs had a "hmm, I wonder if it could be..." moment and decided to sneak something in to see if anyone reported differences? (as opposed to specifically calling out a performance related change in the changelog and having the natives get really restless when people don't notice a difference!!!)

I've done some research and decided to try a mobo/CPU upgrade as an attempt to improve my stuttering behavior (which seems to be pretty extreme). Trying to get WOFF running well was definitely the catalyst, but I also need to build a 2nd PC (currently share mine w/my wife & kids) so it wasn't COMPLETELY motivated by WOFF (or, that's what I'm telling myself, at least!)

My old processor was an AMD FX-6100 (6-core @ 3.3 GHz)...I naively thought based purely on GHz this would be a respectable CPU for running WOFF, but doing a little research (that I should have done 2 years ago when I originally spec'd this machine out!) I've found that for single threaded performance, the AMDs generally can't hold a candle to the Intels (which is probably old news to everyone but me!)

I didn't get too crazy, but splurged just a little and went for the i7-4770k (it's a 4-core/8-threaded processor running @ 3.4 GHz). A week or so ago I would have thought I was crazy considering how close the clock speeds are, but looking at some single-threaded benchmarks, this new proc has nearly 2X the processing HP as did my AMD...so I have high hopes.

Hope to reinstall today - will report my findings if any other AMD jockeys are curious.

#3893612 - 01/11/14 05:42 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
ZikoEgy Offline
ZikoEgy  Offline

Same here and Devs didn't mention anything maybe the game just corrected itself knowing so many miserable pilots smile
S!

i7 3820 3.6 Ghz not OC
GTX 770 (2GB)
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3893615 - 01/11/14 05:47 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
1.11 is truly a miracle

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3893625 - 01/11/14 06:06 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
nhill40 Offline
nhill40  Offline

C'mon you dog, DOWNLOAD!!! smile

I thought 'Merica was a first world country - is this really the best we can do w/our internet speeds?!?!?!

Of course, it doesn't help I'm only paying for bargain-basement speed... duh

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.