Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3885674 - 12/29/13 01:42 PM Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting?  
bud01 Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan
bud01  Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan

England UK, Herts

Hi all,

I have a connie, ghost hornet, tracker hornet, 315

I am totally sold on the game ahoy

I have a decent gaming PC and also an oculus rift which is pretty impressive.

I have been playing war thunder for the last two days and it is easily the best game I have played in my life (rift helped that).

Id like to get good at standard flight combat and today I just read a post which referenced a game called : BSG Diaspora.......... I never knew about that game and it sure looks like a great game to get up to speed in dog fighting in space.

Does any one play any space sims at the moment that they feel will be a good training routine to at least learn about what you cant do at the moment and what you can do, example I just learnt the other day the S split or S inversion.

Are there any actual flight combat courses you can take or buy to understand concepts like 1 on 2, or correct wingman flight coverage.

I'm going to be taking Star citizen combat seriously xwing

Any advice welcome, I will be buying the X55 the moment it is available,

Question I have a G27 with clutch, brake, pedals.
I should be able to use the gas and clutch pedal for peddles with any HOTAS right, are HOTAS pedals different?

#3885796 - 12/29/13 08:07 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Yes, rudder pedals for flight are different than pedals for driving sims.

Driving sim pedals are each a separate axis controller. Rudder pedals are, at minimum, an axis that is shared across the left and right pedal (push the left pedal, the right pedal comes back toward you, and vice versa). Usually, the pedals each have an additional axis of their own meant for toe brakes.

Some people have successfully employed work arounds to get two driving sim pedal axis to combine as one rudder axis for a flight sim. If you can swing the costs, I'd recommend you obtain some decent rudder pedals. Since you plan to buy the Saitek X-55 HOTAS, then Saitek rudder pedals would be a natural choice for you. I use the Saitek Combat Pedals, but the regular rudder pedals are electronically the same, and cost less. The difference is in looks, and in how your feet are placed upon them. CH Product pedals have a very good (better) reputation for longevity and not developing spiking, but many folks do not like the closer spacing of the pedal width. Depending on where you mount your joystick, that may or may not be a notable consideration. Center stick mounts (The X-55 should be mod-able to add an extension shaft) typically need wider spacing of the knees/thighs. If you search these forums, you'll also find some excellent new rudder pedal designs being sold if you want to go top notch. smile

----------
Star Citizen does indeed look very promising!

Fighter combat in (SC's) space will certainly benefit from good knowledge of air combat tactics and strategies... but with the caveat that there are things a ship can do in (SC's) space that are not in the domain of real life atmospheric fighters. Expect to see ships facing sideways or backwards with respect to their main vector of travel. Also, remain mindful that it's a game, with artificial limits imposed to maintain playability. All of that is going to require a different paradigm in some respects.

To find guidance on space combat tactics, etc., you might want to check out forums for some previous space fighter games. Freespace / Freespace 2 and various mods, Starshatter - The Gathering Storm and various mods, etc. I haven't looked, but you might find some useful video tutorials up on Youtube.

Somebody over on CIG's forums thought pretty highly of Starshatter - The Gathering storm as preparation for SC. I actually bought it a long time ago, but didn't mess with it much back then. It's abandonware now, and can be had free. Start here.

I just started messing with it, but I'm also messing with other things (New TM HOTAS Warthog, TIR5, etc.) that is keeping my time on it limited. I'm thinking about buying FreeSpace 2 at GOG.com, and trying FreeSpace 2 Open (requires FreeSpace 2), as well.

Good luck with it, and if you find something you really like, post it up in here! smile

#3885884 - 12/29/13 10:56 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
I have Starshatter, and have just reinstalled X-Wing Aaliance on my system. Also picked up the entire Wing Commander series over at GoG, so I figure all that will be a good space combat review. You might also want to see about picking up one of the Independence War games.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3886145 - 12/30/13 12:30 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
X-Wing Alliance doesn't work on Win7 does it? Last time I tried it wouldn't even run the installer, is there a way to do it?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3886201 - 12/30/13 02:08 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Well if you want to bash about with fighting and switching between Newtonian flight and controlled flight, then evochron mercenary is a good choice and fun.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3886430 - 12/30/13 08:00 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
bud01 Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan
bud01  Offline
HQ Simulation in VR fan

England UK, Herts

I bought a thrustmaster warthog, delivery by 1pm tommorow, it was quite expensive but im hoping it will be impressive and good build quality making it a pleasure to fly.

War Thunder is easily the best game I have played in my life, I cant imagin how good it will be with a HD rift, I dont think any of us will want to leave for work or sun light

#3886445 - 12/30/13 08:25 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I don't think you'll regret the Warthog purchase. (Assuming you don't drop it on your foot). It's a well-made, substantial bit of kit.

I just wish Thrustmaster would get off their arses, and make a new set of USB Rudder pedals, and support them in the T.A.R.G.E.T. profiling software. I may just end up hacking a T.16000M...

#3886599 - 12/31/13 02:33 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
You could get SimPeds, CyBerkut. The USB version would be just the ticket for you.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3886607 - 12/31/13 02:50 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: shan2]  
Snakeyes Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes
Snakeyes  Offline
XBL: sSnakeyes

Arizona, USA
Are simpeds still available? I bought a set of rudder pedals from them about 10 years ago and they are still going strong! They are just an awesome piece of kit and nothing that I have seen compares. I checked into buying another set a few years ago. The father that started the company, designed and manufactured the simpeds had passed away. At that point his son was trying to take over the business. If IIRC, he was going to offer one product. Just the rudder pedals.

#3886610 - 12/31/13 02:54 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Nuts. I think their website closed last year. (Just checked.)

The only result I found for a recent "For Sale" post is this:

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12579

I love my Simpeds. They're the gameport model that connects directly to the Cougar with the F-16 toe brakes.

#3886636 - 12/31/13 04:12 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: Mace71]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
X-Wing Alliance doesn't work on Win7 does it? Last time I tried it wouldn't even run the installer, is there a way to do it?

There was a guide on here a while back, but I believe the links have expired. Everything you need is here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-x-wing-all...erating-systems

I'm in the process of building a Warthog profile now, and I'll attempt TrackIR emulation later as well. I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3886955 - 12/31/13 07:08 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: shan2]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: shan2
Nuts. I think their website closed last year. (Just checked.)

The only result I found for a recent "For Sale" post is this:

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12579

I love my Simpeds. They're the gameport model that connects directly to the Cougar with the F-16 toe brakes.

That's just it. The gameport version connected to a Cougar HOTAS would be covered by TARGET, as TARGET sees them as part of the Cougar. A USB version (as I understand it), would not be... just like my Saitek USB pedals are not.

Thanks though! wave

#3890200 - 01/06/14 01:49 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
You may want to check out Independence War 2, it uses Newtonian Physics and it works out of the box on Win 7 x64. I just reinstalled it and started playing with no issues (Win 7 Pro x64, AMD 8120, Radeon 7870).

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#3890335 - 01/06/14 10:49 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: K6_Scorpion]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: K6_Scorpion
You may want to check out Independence War 2, it uses Newtonian Physics and it works out of the box on Win 7 x64. I just reinstalled it and started playing with no issues (Win 7 Pro x64, AMD 8120, Radeon 7870).
and it is available on GOG at a good price too

http://www.gog.com/game/independence_war_deluxe
http://www.gog.com/game/independence_war_2

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3890389 - 01/06/14 01:31 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: CyBerkut]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Yes, rudder pedals for flight are different than pedals for driving sims.

Driving sim pedals are each a separate axis controller. Rudder pedals are, at minimum, an axis that is shared across the left and right pedal (push the left pedal, the right pedal comes back toward you, and vice versa). Usually, the pedals each have an additional axis of their own meant for toe brakes.

On the G27 profiler, you can set the accel & brake to a shared axis, but I've only done that in one driving game that required it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3890531 - 01/06/14 05:53 PM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: Alicatt]  
K6_Scorpion Offline
Ruler of the Free World
K6_Scorpion  Offline
Ruler of the Free World

Central FL
Originally Posted By: Alicatt

Good find there Alicatt!

------------
<Uh... put signature here... and stuff>
#3890792 - 01/07/14 02:05 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: buddha01

Hi all,

I have a connie, ghost hornet, tracker hornet, 315

I am totally sold on the game ahoy

I have a decent gaming PC and also an oculus rift which is pretty impressive.

I have been playing war thunder for the last two days and it is easily the best game I have played in my life (rift helped that).

Id like to get good at standard flight combat and today I just read a post which referenced a game called : BSG Diaspora.......... I never knew about that game and it sure looks like a great game to get up to speed in dog fighting in space.

Does any one play any space sims at the moment that they feel will be a good training routine to at least learn about what you cant do at the moment and what you can do, example I just learnt the other day the S split or S inversion.

Are there any actual flight combat courses you can take or buy to understand concepts like 1 on 2, or correct wingman flight coverage.

I'm going to be taking Star citizen combat seriously xwing

Any advice welcome, I will be buying the X55 the moment it is available,

Question I have a G27 with clutch, brake, pedals.
I should be able to use the gas and clutch pedal for peddles with any hotas right, are hotas pedals different?

Diaspora is great.

Follow this guide here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78710.0

Then go here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80688.0

I recommend (in addition to Freespace 1 and 2):
Blue Planet
Wings of Dawn (AMAZING)
The Antagonist (great)
Dimensional Eclipse (super fun)

Those above are cream of the crop. Especially if you were a fan of Macross/Robotech. If not, Blue Planet/Antagonist alone are great. I personally love Wings of Dawn. In addition...

www.wcsaga.net
and
standoff.solsector.net

You can also mod X-Wing Alliance for both the original X-Wing campaigns and Tie Fighter campaigns + amazing graphics and Track IR.

X3 Series, especially Albion Prelude + X-Tended mod is fun.

The Freespace 2 stuff, though, looks like a modern game. They've come a long way with the engine. There are newer goodies for it too... but I don't want to overwhelm you too fast.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/07/14 02:06 AM.
#3890809 - 01/07/14 02:27 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Diaspora was (is) amazing. I hope SC dogfighting is like that.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3892152 - 01/09/14 12:52 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: bud01]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
I couldn't get my Cougar to work with Diaspora. It is the only FS2 mod that didn't.

#3892172 - 01/09/14 01:40 AM Re: Best stuff to do to get ready for space dog fighting? [Re: shan2]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: shan2
I couldn't get my Cougar to work with Diaspora. It is the only FS2 mod that didn't.

That makes no sense. I use my Cougar all the time with it. Track IR, too.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/09/14 01:40 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.