Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
#3889332 - 01/04/14 01:56 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Thank you that people finally get things sorted by tweaking it the correct way. Sometimes one oversees the obvious. Vertical sync has to be on unless one has everything high end, and even then it is luck. I hope that people can fix their own settings to their like and finally can enjoy the game and also report their enjoyment, instead of having many unnecessary threads about wannabe-bugs and stutterings etc. which most times is a matter of tweaking some settings to sort them.
Unfortunately it is not like with playstations etc. where every rig is the very same and where games are made to work there perfectly. Everybody has different PCs, setups, GPU, CPU, RAM etc. so one obviously has to tweak a bit. What works for one maybe does not for the other. Those with low end rigs have to tweak maybe a bit more, but very rarely one will not be able to cure things unless being helplessly low end. That's the reason why one has better results with tuning down sounds, the other with tuning down graphical density etc.
As a matter of fact it is astonishing how fluidly the game runs even with 25ish FPS. In P3 one could see a difference between 25 and 40. With Woff, even when just having 25-30 FPS it looks and feels like P3 with 50+ FPS.

Thank you all for gathering all those hints and tipps. Please enjoy the game .

pilot

#3889340 - 01/04/14 02:22 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Lanzfeld113 Offline
Lanzfeld113  Offline

PA, USA
I'm still waiting for Tailspinners discovery as mine is unplayable due to the stutters.

He dropped a bomb and left!

I am one of those guys where "Q" pretty much fixes my stutters. With sound on I go from 55 FPS for 10 seconds or so and then WHAM down to 15 FPS for 2 or 3 seconds. I am talking about over the front.

Last edited by Lanzfeld113; 01/04/14 03:12 PM.
#3889370 - 01/04/14 03:20 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
I'm also waiting for Tailspinner's discovery. Although it might be not as cool as we expect it to be. I also had a lot of experimenting and sometimes it seemed that the cure was ready (and I wanted to tell everybody about it) but then in another mission it all turned back. Until now the best remedy I tried was to mute the game sounds.

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3889387 - 01/04/14 04:00 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

well....that vsync thing fixed the stutters for me...thank you!!! .......mostly

Last edited by gaw1; 01/04/14 08:42 PM.
#3889394 - 01/04/14 04:07 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Tailspinner Offline
Tailspinner  Offline

Pennsylvania
Sorry for the delayed response for those who were waiting. I wanted to make sure that I documented all my changes to system that have given me the best results for WOFF. I still get the occasional micro-stuttering, but am now able to enjoy the game at it's fullest capabilities with my system build and tweaks. I did not install the HD Audio drivers for the 780 Graphics Card and believe this is part of the fix per Hellshades advice to disable them. Running Windows Basic Display. Modified the CFS3.exe and WOFF.exe compatibility settings per YAAN98 advise. Hope this helps others that are experiencing issues.

Edited: My Power Options are set to High Performance Mode.

My Configuration:

Gigabyte Z77-DS3h Motherboard
Intel i5-3570 - Overclocked to 4.2 Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti OC GPU - Not Overclocked
Crucial Ballistix 12 Gig RAM
Dell 27" U2713HM running at full resolution 2560 x 1440 - Overclocked to 75 Hz
OCZ 60 Gig SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Hard Drive
OCZ 750 Watt Power Supply
Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium

My GPU Settings in NVidia Inspector - Note that I only modified the CFS3 settings and did not change the Global settings. Not sure why this works for me but it does.

WOFF Workshop Settings at Full Capacity.

CFS3.exe and WOFF.exe Compatibility Settings:

Last edited by Tailspinner; 01/05/14 02:30 PM.
#3889400 - 01/04/14 04:24 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Congratulations Tailspinner! Can't wait to read your posts of campaign experiences. You are going to have a fantastic time of it.

Per my suggestion, I found the downside to disabling the Nvidia HDMI sound drivers is that Shadowplay will no longer record sound. Fortunately, I found a way around this and it seems to be as good, if not better than disabling those drivers. Head into the Nvidia Control Panel and under Display / Setup Digital Audio and Turn OFF HDMI Audio. Shadowplay still records audio like it should but still no micro-stutter.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3889415 - 01/04/14 04:49 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
It's great to see all these problems getting sorted out. I posted some time back about stutters and slowdowns using force-feedback with my Speedlink Black Widow joystick. Perhaps it only applies to this particular stick, but there may be others using it (it's good and it's cheap). And maybe what I have found applies to other force feedback problems. As for the Black Widow, one needs the latest driver for it: the SL-6640-SBK. But this on its own didn't work. I also had to switch on 0xFFF800FF in 'Frame Rate Limiter' in Nvidia Inspector. I don't know why, but it works-I tried it on the hunch that all the 'F's' might have something to do with force-feedback (I'm probably completely mistaken!). I have the game running fully graphically maxed-out, with AnKor's DirectX 8 to 9 converter, Sweet-FX and Aris's new clouds and using TrackIR.

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz
8.0 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 660Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

#3889446 - 01/04/14 06:01 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: BirdDogICT]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT
After more testing, I have confirmed that the very mild stutters (at least on my ATI 4870, AMD Phenom II 980 quad core 3.7 MHz rig) can be cured completely with VSync. This also eliminated lags due to texture loading.

Unfortunately for ATI owners, Catalyst drivers do not force Vsync, so it doesn't really matter if you have Vsync turned on or off in Catalyst - this has been a known problem for years.

So, by changing the Full Screen Swap Effect in the ConfigOverrides.xml to D3DSWAPEFFECT_COPY_VSYNC, I was able to finally turn Vsync on. This completely eliminated stutters, at a somewhat lower, very playable FPS. Even when the FPS dropped from the 40s to the high 20s, it was smooth as silk. I purposely maxed out my settings to see if my system could keep up, and it ran great.

I was able to accomplish the same result by leaving the ConfigOverrides.xml file to the default of D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD, and forcing Vsync through a program called D3DOverrider. I set D3DOverrider to turn on VSync when CFS3.exe starts but not use Triple Buffering.

Your mileage may vary, but hope this helps.

Unfortunally this didn't worked out for me (also have an ATI card).

On my end, those setting did indeed reduce the time that each stutter lasts BUT unfortunally it increased the number of stutters that I have while playing WOFF.
Resuming instead of having a few stutters or mini-stutters I started to have many micro-stutters which in the end worsened my gameplay since with that setting I'm now experiencing stutters in places were previously I would never have or rarely have.

Therefore I reverted my "ConfigOverrides.xml" file to default values.

#3889466 - 01/04/14 06:49 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Guys, the game is smooth as silk in Verdun in the summer of 1917. However at the same time in Flanders it can get to like 'between stutters and hell'. On my rig (i7 3770k @4.6Ghz, 8Gb 2666Mhz RAM, GTX780) no settings make much difference, i.e. it can chew them all unless the activity on the front becomes unbearable. I wish the developers added some ground activity sliders, as this would ultimately improve the gameplay by removing most of the stutters seen over the front. How about that, kind Developers?

Meanwhile I'm headed to the the store for the skins, I've found a way to enjoy the game to the max (in places), so forget about messing with the settings too much as the source of endemic stutters is different.

Thanks,
Dirk.

#3889467 - 01/04/14 06:52 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: ricnunes]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
After more testing, I have confirmed that the very mild stutters (at least on my ATI 4870, AMD Phenom II 980 quad core 3.7 MHz rig) can be cured completely with VSync. This also eliminated lags due to texture loading.

Unfortunately for ATI owners, Catalyst drivers do not force Vsync, so it doesn't really matter if you have Vsync turned on or off in Catalyst - this has been a known problem for years.

So, by changing the Full Screen Swap Effect in the ConfigOverrides.xml to D3DSWAPEFFECT_COPY_VSYNC, I was able to finally turn Vsync on. This completely eliminated stutters, at a somewhat lower, very playable FPS. Even when the FPS dropped from the 40s to the high 20s, it was smooth as silk. I purposely maxed out my settings to see if my system could keep up, and it ran great.

I was able to accomplish the same result by leaving the ConfigOverrides.xml file to the default of D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD, and forcing Vsync through a program called D3DOverrider. I set D3DOverrider to turn on VSync when CFS3.exe starts but not use Triple Buffering.

Your mileage may vary, but hope this helps.

Unfortunally this didn't worked out for me (also have an ATI card).

On my end, those setting did indeed reduce the time that each stutter lasts BUT unfortunally it increased the number of stutters that I have while playing WOFF.
Resuming instead of having a few stutters or mini-stutters I started to have many micro-stutters which in the end worsened my gameplay since with that setting I'm now experiencing stutters in places were previously I would never have or rarely have.

Therefore I reverted my "ConfigOverrides.xml" file to default values.

Ricnunes,

Thanks for the feedback. I also reverted to default ConfigOverrides.xml settings and am now using D3DOverrider to force Vsync on. Works fine for me with Catalyst 13.12 and a 7870 card.

ATI support for their cards is inconsistent, at best. Their driver development is directed at their latest cards, so if you have an older card, you are mostly out of luck. Catalyst Vsync driver support works for some cards, not for others, so D3DOverrider is required for some games.

Last edited by BirdDogICT; 01/05/14 03:34 AM.

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#3889473 - 01/04/14 07:01 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Hellshade]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Per my suggestion, I found the downside to disabling the Nvidia HDMI sound drivers is that Shadowplay will no longer record sound. Fortunately, I found a way around this and it seems to be as good, if not better than disabling those drivers. Head into the Nvidia Control Panel and under Display / Setup Digital Audio and Turn OFF HDMI Audio. Shadowplay still records audio like it should but still no micro-stutter.

Originally Posted By: Dirk98
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
2. Disable Nvidia / ATI sound drivers from Device Manager if using a separate or motherboard sound card

Hellshade, unless you have a HDMI audio-capable device connected to HDMI output of your video card, your HDMI audio is always disabled (grayed-out), so no need to disable it in the driver. You can go to your NVIDIA's <<control panel / Set up digital audio>> and check out there. Only when you connect a HDMI recorder/receiver/etc to your card's HDMI output and only if it has audio-capable HDMI receiver (like I use Ninja 2 to record raw HD video/audio) only then the audio can play (theoretically) into the performance. Practically our cards have a special chip/amplifier to handle HDMI audio with no bearing on HDMI video, they are separate streams onboard nVidia card.

Dirk.

Hellshade, what is your monitor/hd tv? How do you connect your PC to it? From DVI or HDMI? I guess it has HDMI audio capability, therefore your HDMI audio menu in nVidia control panel is active. Normally it is not active.

Dirk.

Last edited by Dirk98; 01/04/14 07:04 PM.
#3889491 - 01/04/14 07:37 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

I'm curious to know the system specs and Frame Rates / Stutters (if any) of the Devs and Beta Testers (if possible). The reason being that if the game is not capable of delivering smooth STUTTER FREE 60 fps on their systems, then I won't raise my expectations and let this bone go. And finally end THIS FRUSTRATING THREAD! banghead

#3889494 - 01/04/14 07:46 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
karnak Offline
karnak  Offline

I wonder why the stutters stops when pressing Q. If its possible to end it with Q there have to be something to solve the problem. At least i think so. I have tried all those settings and some of my own but i was never able to get rid of those stutterings (in 1918).

I hope that someone is able to find anything that helps or that maybe the Devs stumble over something.

#3889496 - 01/04/14 07:53 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Rover_27 Offline
Rover_27  Offline

Russia
Yeah, sound is something definitely worth of deeper research. I think I'll stop haunting this thread for a couple of weeks, otherwise the whole business is becoming more and more frustrating. Happy winter holidays, everybody! Hopefully the problem will be solved by the time I get back to WOFF. copter

i5 2320, 3.3 GHz
GTX 560Ti, 4 GB graphics memory
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3889500 - 01/04/14 08:04 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: yaan98]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Originally Posted By: yaan98
I'm curious to know the system specs and Frame Rates / Stutters (if any) of the Devs and Beta Testers (if possible). The reason being that if the game is not capable of delivering smooth STUTTER FREE 60 fps on their systems, then I won't raise my expectations and let this bone go. And finally end THIS FRUSTRATING THREAD! banghead

Why should it be 60 fps? Not wishing to offend you, but that seems a bit unrealistic. None of the flight sims I play can meet that standard. I'm very happy with smooth gameplay at 30 fps when I can get it.

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#3889516 - 01/04/14 08:26 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: BirdDogICT]  
yaan98 Offline
yaan98  Offline

Why should it be 60 fps? Not wishing to offend you, but that seems a bit unrealistic. None of the flight sims I play can meet that standard. I'm very happy with smooth gameplay at 30 fps when I can get it.

Why how dare..... kidding biggrin

It takes more than words in a sim forum to offend me BirdDog.

Yeah, I agree with you and was about to change it to 30, 40, 50 or 60, but got distracted and submitted it without re reading. Main point is stutter free at any fps which I can get in other sims.

#3889520 - 01/04/14 08:34 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Dirk98]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Sorry for quoting myself, just I'm lazy to type it over again:
Originally Posted By: Dirk98
the source of endemic stutters is different
Just enjoy the game and hope that the developers can add a few more sliders to the Air and Ground activity. Since you can't win this war anyway we basically need air activity mostly around our area of operations plus some ground movements as well, and very little outside of it. Is it possible to add this as an option? What would it break? Do we really need all 200+ flights in 3D? If not, is there any other activity that could be cut back?
I mentioned many posts ago that stutters would be major problem of the game.

Thanks,
Dirk.

Last edited by Dirk98; 01/04/14 08:42 PM.
#3889566 - 01/04/14 10:12 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
ZikoEgy Offline
ZikoEgy  Offline

Hi All
After zillion trials which made the performance better but not best I started removing some sound files like the birds I hear at the airfield I found its size is 6 MB (ambience_airfield06) also always on the front lines i had stuttering I removed all sound front files
Much more better now
I think Devs should do something about sounds
NB: I did turn off audio in my nvidia card

Salut!

i7 3820 3.6 Ghz not OC
GTX 770 (2GB)
8 GB RAM
Windows 7 64x
#3889593 - 01/04/14 11:07 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Rover_27]  
Lanzfeld113 Offline
Lanzfeld113  Offline

PA, USA
So strange.

I decided to load up my graphics card to supersample and 8X and many of my stutters are gone for now.

strange.

#3889603 - 01/04/14 11:29 PM Re: Tweaks to get rid of microstuttering when looking around [Re: Lanzfeld113]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted By: Lanzfeld113
So strange.

I decided to load up my graphics card to supersample and 8X and many of my stutters are gone for now.

strange.

Yeah. as I said. Tweak your settings first and try different things. Sooner or later everybody will find how it's work best. That's why there are NvidiaInspector and such nice little things. Every rig is different. It's no playstation. And it is no bug.

Regarding sounds. Of course you will notice sudden jump of performance if you get 8 or 10% CPU back with one keystroke (Q). You would have too, if eliminating all objects with one keystroke. Or all aircraft with one keystroke. You will also notice better performance when flying over the channel than over London. This is the reason why QC runs better than campaign in some cases. You save recourses. If some CPU are borderline than reducing load makes it run better. No rocketscience :-). But the Devs will check, as always.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.