Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 54 of 63 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 62 63
#4530854 - 07/21/20 06:43 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF ***** [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Thanks Shredward, you are rather confirming my point. The British scouts certainly did Line Patrols as well as OPs and DOPs. But not I think 20 miles _behind_ the Lines? That’s the kind of thing one would like to see amended if at all possible.

Also agree with you on interceptions, cf. the radio-intercept based interceptions referred to by Yeates in his classic “Winged Victory”.

The RFC/RAF’s offensive posture founded a century-plus tradition for the RAF. We’ve been quite an offensive bunch ever since.

Cheers

Mike

#4531272 - 07/24/20 11:00 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

I usually don't bother posting under the various suggestions threads since I'm more than pleased with WOFF as it is already - but a subtle/small suggestion for future versions of WOFF - if possible of course at the code level to implement - is to allow at least for partial control impetus once a wing or something fairly critical is knocked off of one's aircraft in a fight, or even after a random, serious failure during flight - for example, to still have some control from a remaining aileron, or from the rudder and elevator, etc., even if half of the wings go missing.

This might also occasionally increase survival chance by 10 or 20%, sometimes, when all else seems to have failed and one is hurtling towards the ground. (The sensation to go for is to get that "I'm struggling at the controls" feeling as you hurtle towards the ground - those who run modded FE2 will know what I mean - to have your hurtling wreck continue "listening" to the control stick - even though your remaining and limited control input may still be futile, in the end.)

Feel free to disregard this post OBD if not possible to do this with CFS3 code, or if it will require too many modifications - it's a minor (aesthetic) thing but thought I'd mention it anyway, all in the spirit of more immersion. I can always simply imagine that most control wires have been severed by that point and thus the total lack of input from the control stick as I turn into a meteor or spinning top.

Happy flying all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 07/25/20 05:24 AM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4533533 - 08/13/20 10:44 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I think once the next expansion is released the only thing I can think of that's absent is Arty units. A big thing to be missing aswell. Would be cool if they could be linked to recon and arty spotting missions. I'd happily pay for an ARty expansion.

#4536030 - 09/05/20 04:57 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I was rewatching the Blue Max because it’s been a while and all I remember from the movie is that certain scene with the Countess. So, after refreshing my memory, how about being able to order the enemy to follow you to your airfield as a war prize, same like Stachel did to that Tiger Moth pilot at the beginning of the movie.
How would it work, you ask? Well, after having enough of being shot, at the enemy plane’s observer (assuming he is still alive) would raise his hands in sign of surrender. (With all these new animations for the pilots in the new update, this could be implemented for the observer as well, I presume.) So, now we have an enemy machine that is willing to follow us. If you don’t want to babysit that plane all the way to your aerodrome, you would give the (already implemented) command to “land here”. And the plane would just try to land at the spot where the command was given - similar to being forced down. Now, the rest of your flight would try to land there too, so you would have to split formation first before giving the “land here” command. After that, all we would need would be the Countess in the game.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4536033 - 09/05/20 06:03 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
See, this is what happens when herbals are legalised.
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4536035 - 09/05/20 07:40 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
So, that’s a “no” on the Countess?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4536039 - 09/05/20 08:04 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

VonS,

There is partial control after a wing comes off.
I know this from personal experience having landed a wingless Pup in the current DID campaign... twice in as many days. eek2
Lower right plane in both cases.

Cheers,

E

#4538890 - 09/30/20 05:04 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@ePower,

Good to know this and apologies for spotting your reply rather late. I was either in an Eindecker or Nieup. at the time - so that maybe gave the death-spiral effect. Will have to try out a Pup career sometimes.

Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4543043 - 11/02/20 05:25 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Two requests:

1) Any possibility of switching back to the old, darker font for news stories? My 60+ year old failing eyes can no longer read the light text in the news section. Or maybe the text has just gotten smaller?

2) Any thoughts on increasing the damage points or modifying the hit probabilities for the engine system? One of the drawbacks of the way CFS3 handles engine damage is that engine power seems to be a direct function of the percentage of engine hit points that have been lost (e.g. a loss of 50% of engine hit points seems to translate into a 50% loss of engine power). As an example, an engine with 50 hit points (modified by hit probability) seems to lose approximately 50% of thrust after a loss of only 25 adjusted "hit points." (Read almost any page in the DiD contest for examples of what I mean). By contrast, if I recall from memory, the WWII planes modeled in CFS3 have engine hit points of 200 points or more. I would think that the current WOFF values need to be almost doubled (or the hit probabilities decreased) to avoid this problem.

Anyone else with any thoughts on this second issue?

Thanks for considering my requests, Pol and Winder.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4545919 - 11/24/20 04:47 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Some nice changes seem to be coming in the new WOFF version. I'd like to also make an Christmas wish for:

1. complex engine management or simulate some of it, like:
a. working radiators that affect engine temp if left closed or wide open
b. overrev in steep dives causing engine damage
c. manual engine startup and shutdown
D. throttles that function differently according to the type of engine. e.g. early rotaries vs inline

2. Make missions more involved, like:
a. working camera during recon work must fly straight and level to allow the observer to take a series of overlapping photographs.
b. Artillery spotting using the clock code and see the effects on the ground... hit or miss.

#4546554 - 11/30/20 04:24 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Another christmas wishlist...some might be a little less realistic than others :P

1. Players of a certain status (be it rank, kills, etc) can choose to retain an older (or a reserve) aircraft once they've been re-equipped (I.E, a pilot might choose to keep a Nieuport instead of upgrading to a SPAD)

2. Squadrons are equipped with randomly-generated 'airframes' - I'll try to explain the idea...instead of an identical flight model with identical RNG elements for engine failures, each aircraft of a squadron has its own subtly unique RNG characteristics and chance modifiers for things such as engine reliability, but stay uniform for that particular 'airframe'. If the airframe is being repaired, then the player will use a different airframe until their assigned one is fixed. If it's destroyed, they fly a spare until the replacement arrives, etc. I'd imagine you'd only need to do this for players and maybe non-HAs, but I think it would be really cool to get the sense of having YOUR aircraft and learning its individual quirks...! Perhaps there could be a system where you get assigned an airframe with better or worse 'stats' based on your rank / ace status

- - - 2b. More 'default' unit skins for non-HAs! One of the very, very few immersion breakers for me with WoFF is seeing two aircraft with identical markings (I.E, two Camels marked No.5 in a formation, or two S.E's marked 'B', etc). These could possibly also tie in with the 'Airframe' idea...a certain airframe is assigned a certain skin.

[Edit: Perhaps 2 and 2b would be better off as toggle-able on and off in workshops as a 'realism setting'].

3. AI are a little more willing to fight if one of their own are in danger - I've seen a couple occasions where an AI formation will try to make a break for home and if the tail-end charlie is caught the rest of the formation will fly off and leave him to his fate!

4. SPAD variants! 150hp SPAD VII, 200hp SPAD XIII, 220hp SPAD XIII, etc. A SPAD XII would also be a very cool little niche plane.

Last edited by Wulfe; 11/30/20 04:36 AM.
#4546559 - 11/30/20 06:40 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@Wulfe, great thoughts there, especially with the no. 2 point (possibly an FM nightmare to code all of those subtleties but a dream scenario indeed - no flight sim that I know of cooks up those random, on-the-fly FM changes, dents, malfunctions, whatnot, swapping out a solid FM for a Sopwith Pup for a rough-and-tumble one, for example, maybe for a lowly novice - the possibilities are endless). I suppose this is doable with endless FM variants, perhaps half a dozen or so per each aircraft model in WOFF - being swapped in/out - but oh the coding...my eyes.

I'm thinking out loud here as to simplifications for such an approach, maybe something like:

really rough FM, minimally airworthy (for the unsuspecting novice) // somewhat rough FM, passably airworthy (for the suspecting novice) // slightly out of tune FM, mostly airworthy (for the veteran and bruised pilot) // perfectly tuned FM, factory fresh (and also continuously maintained by fitters, riggers, etc., usually reserved for ace pilots)

In terms of SPAD powerplant variants, there is the "stop-gap" solution in my FM packs, although it would be nice to have one of our professional skinners working on WOFF look into rounding the wingtips on the SPAD XIII for the 200hp mount used in late '17. (The 220 hp SPAD XIII is modeled by the way in WOFF and is the stock variant supplied.)

Happy flying all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 11/30/20 06:55 AM. Reason: Added info.

#4546601 - 11/30/20 02:39 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I'd also like to see abit more Squadron chrome. For instance info on a night in town or a big beano in the mess hut pilots with hangovers etc etc. Maybe could be done as a pilot diary if possible he could mention actual pilot names etc. Similar to how it was done in the wargame Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa.

#4546607 - 11/30/20 03:15 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Some outstanding ideas gents! We live in hope, eh? We just need to hang on for the release of WOFF 2025: Promise The Moon Edition.

#4547368 - 12/06/20 03:09 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: VonS]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

@VonS

Yeah, I've always thought it would be a really fantastic minor detail for a campaign like WoFF to include - one of the smaller, but very prevalent details I'd noticed in the memoirs I'd read is that some pilots would croon over the 'winning' airframes and curse the 'duds'. I think it would be a fantastic little touch. That being said, I'm no coder so I can respect that adding such a feature might be an immense headache!

Personally, I feel like individual skins for Non-HA's is the biggest 'missing piece' from WoFF at the moment.

Elaborating on the aircraft skins idea a little bit - I think it would be interesting to add a feature where non-HAs and the player were randomly assigned a skin from a "default pool"...that is, an RFC squadron might have some generic aircraft with squadron and individual markings (AKA "A", or "V", etc, marked on the wings and fuselage). The game will randomly assign the skins to non-HAs as well as the player once the campaign is started.

Some considerations for the idea:

- If the squadron's aircraft are upgraded, new skins of the new aircraft are randomly assigned again.

- If a non-HA dies, the replacement 'inherits' their skin.

- There would have to be some kind of algorithm that checks to see if a skin is already in use, so that you wouldn't see duplicates.

However, as a skin-maker for my IL2 Flying Circus squadron, I understand just how immensely huge of a task making all the skins for all the squadrons for all the planes would be! That would be a HUGE task! The big upsides though are:

- The removal of the one big immersion-killer (in my humble opinion) in what is otherwise the immersive WW1 experience!

- Giving players a way of identifying 'witnesses' for claims without having to toggle icons on and off (provided you've memorised or written down your wingman's aircraft code!)

#4547372 - 12/06/20 03:37 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

If memory serves, (and it is serving less reliably with each passing day), you can edit the various aces lists in the "campaigndata" folder to include the AI pilots in your unit, and they don't have to be aces. Once added to the list you can create a custom skin for them, and using the conventional WOFF naming parameters, place it in the "skins" folder, and that pilot will then be assigned that plane. I recall doing this myself some time back in order to have precisely what you are wishing for - distinct and specific skins for every virtual pilot in your squadron. Keep in mind you will have to edit the files and the names of the skins, or add new skins, each time one of your AI pilots goes west and a replacement is sent, but it is at least a way to have this feature for now. I must warn though that I've not tried this since moving up to PE, but from a quick look under the hood it does not appear those particular files have changed so I'm guessing it will still work.

HTH.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4547376 - 12/06/20 04:13 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Excellent suggestions here, and they've provoked a few of my own, some original, some almost certainly mentioned above.

1. Flights - Instead of a random mix of pilots, have an option keep B Flight intact with the same mix of Old hands and new guys. I've been doing this in the DID, well in the narrative anyway. Admittedly this would increase difficulty significantly but not so much as turning off HAs entirely. Incentive to keep the non-HAs alive and growing would go way up.

2. Lewis gun firing upwards. Though I wonder if that would make hunting 2 seaters too easy.

3. Gravity tank option as Golden BB insurance on those Airfield attacks 20 miles over the lines.

4. Dolphin.

5. AI coding - Overshoot punishment. Code the AI to ventilate my AC when I overshoot and cross right in front of the enemy. In like fashion a snapshot during a scissors. Currently the enemy AC these forego these opportunities.

EDIT - 6. Fuel consumption seems a bit conservative. i still have 50% fuel left after a 2hr SE5a patrol. Is this accurate?

Last edited by epower; 12/06/20 05:43 PM.
#4547394 - 12/06/20 04:43 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

An addendum to my previous post: I just ran a test, it no longer works as I described. frown

#4547442 - 12/07/20 03:40 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Here's two more:

1. signal flares from the very pistol

2. Alert that a plane has left formation. With no warning or communication of any kind HA X gets engine trouble and buggers off. I'm leading the flight thinking everything is good then look back 15 seconds later and he's heading home without so much as a by your leave. Get your HA up here and waggle your wings or something.

Last edited by epower; 12/07/20 03:49 AM.
#4547450 - 12/07/20 05:39 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Great ideas all, popped by to read some of the latest comments.

@ePower, fuel consumption with stock numbers is a wee bit conservative. I believe that Orbyx did a modification of fuel consumption, available in the latest ver. of JJJ's MultiMod for WOFF. Those who fly my modded FMs for WOFF already have increased fuel consumption (depending on engine hp and variant, the stock value of 1.0 has been increased to anywhere from about a value of 1.2 to 1.8). Very general rule of thumb is that this shaves off about half-an-hour of flying time on many of the single-seat fighters. (Have not done any FM or fuel consumption tweaks for two-seaters, but Orbyx may have covered fuel consumption on those.)

Added note: I tend to fly with 80% fuel, which, when combined with added fuel consumption in my FM tweaks, shaves off the half-hour or so mentioned above. If running Orbyx's fuel consumption tweaks but not my FM mods, best is to fly at 100% fuel since the fuel consumption numbers in Orbyx's list may be higher than mine. If running no fuel consumption mods. and no FM mods., recommended is to fly at about 50-60% fuel, for historical flight times (a crude approximation but works most of the time).

One more note: if flying both with my FM mods. and Orbyx's fuel consumption mod., feel free to fly with 100% fuel since JJJ's java magic in the MultiMod only changes the relevant fuel consumption ratio in the xfm aircraft files, and leaves the other data alone - whether you are flying stock FMs or my FM mods.

Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 12/07/20 05:46 AM. Reason: Added info.

Page 54 of 63 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 62 63

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM