Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3888506 - 01/03/14 09:08 AM Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

I'm still getting regular collisions while in Formation on autopilot.

This isn't necessarily due to wind gusts (as before) but when the flight leader decides to engage an enemy group. All the aircraft in the flight immediately wing over to intercept, sometimes rather violently, with little heed to their neighboring formation mates.

The abrupt maneuvers at such close proximity sometime results in collisions. I've had three such occurences in the past few days while watching the whole thing unfold in autopilot and 2x or 4x time compression. A wingmate abruptly turns and, mixed with the altitude gain or loss in the turn, manages to collide with me.

I have also witnessed this happen to enemy AI flights on two occasions on approaching them. It may have happened more but those two times were the most noticeable, when one of the aircraft caught fire and plunged downward while still over half a nautical mile away from us. As is the case with my own flights, they collided when they spotted us and quickly changed course to engage.

Just a heads-up. I'd say this happens more in the default formation (the arrowhead with another in trail) than when I use others but I wouldn't rule the rest of them out either. It has happened about once in every ten missions or thereabouts, and more often in missions where the flight tries to engage multiple times against enemies higher in altitude than my flight. The nose-up quick climbing turn to engage is the culprit.

Thanks for your attention. smile

Last edited by Nefaro; 01/03/14 09:13 AM.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3888515 - 01/03/14 09:58 AM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Nefaro
I'm still getting regular collisions while in Formation on autopilot.

This isn't necessarily due to wind gusts (as before) but when the flight leader decides to engage an enemy group. All the aircraft in the flight immediately wing over to intercept, sometimes rather violently, with little heed to their neighboring formation mates.

The abrupt maneuvers at such close proximity sometime results in collisions. I've had three such occurences in the past few days while watching the whole thing unfold in autopilot and 2x or 4x time compression. A wingmate abruptly turns and, mixed with the altitude gain or loss in the turn, manages to collide with me.

I have also witnessed this happen to enemy AI flights on two occasions on approaching them. It may have happened more but those two times were the most noticeable, when one of the aircraft caught fire and plunged downward while still over half a nautical mile away from us. As is the case with my own flights, they collided when they spotted us and quickly changed course to engage.

Just a heads-up. I'd say this happens more in the default formation (the arrowhead with another in trail) than when I use others but I wouldn't rule the rest of them out either. It has happened about once in every ten missions or thereabouts, and more often in missions where the flight tries to engage multiple times against enemies higher in altitude than my flight. The nose-up quick climbing turn to engage is the culprit.

Thanks for your attention. smile

We are aware of this issue happening sometimes - its the rookies - we will look into it.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#3888525 - 01/03/14 11:08 AM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Not sure if this will help but I have a series of screenshots of another mission I just now finished in which two of my wingmates collided. I was using the offset trailing arrowhead formation in this one.

A historical ace may have been one of those involved. This collision only ended up with an AI pilot in the hospital and only damaged the airplanes.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3890032 - 01/05/14 08:09 PM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Xitax Offline
Xitax  Offline

Washington, USA
I hope this is useful. I'm having the same issues, but due to my incompetence I've resurrected my pilot many times, so I've flown in a lot of different regions and time periods. I've been avoiding enlisting in Flanders because that's where this problem always happens to me, getting me killed by a squadmate in V-formation as all except the leader swing back and forth while in formation, nearly colliding quite often.

As I said, it always seems to happen in Flanders, and I've seen nothing like that anywhere else.

#3890077 - 01/05/14 09:18 PM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
We are still aware of it, its in the known issues thread, and it has been worked on - it will be in next patch.
Note we are talking about the breaking formation to engage move here where the friendly collision rates are a bit too high sometimes with Rookies.

Rookies inw V1.11 will still make mistakes sometimes - we dont want them perfect.

Bottom line for all skills of AI in WOFF: collisions in WW1 were a real everyday risk and many a good pilot died from them - read some books on it its fascinating - collisions and mechanical failure were a significant risk factor - we wil not bring these events to zero.

I am sure you can work out why they happened - a simple one - both AI try to avoid each other in a dog fight turning in the same direction....happens every day in real life.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#3890079 - 01/05/14 09:19 PM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Xitax]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Xitax
I hope this is useful. I'm having the same issues, but due to my incompetence I've resurrected my pilot many times, so I've flown in a lot of different regions and time periods. I've been avoiding enlisting in Flanders because that's where this problem always happens to me, getting me killed by a squadmate in V-formation as all except the leader swing back and forth while in formation, nearly colliding quite often.

As I said, it always seems to happen in Flanders, and I've seen nothing like that anywhere else.

What version are you running? (look in workshops bottom right) - wind which causes the swinging has been sorted a few patches back.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#3890106 - 01/05/14 09:59 PM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Xitax Offline
Xitax  Offline

Washington, USA
I'm currently using 1.10. I had the issue even in 1.08 enlisted with some squad in Flanders flying the Tripe, then also another flying the Strutter.

My current pilot flying Camels in late 1917 in Flanders does not show the issue in 1.10.

Perhaps more detail is needed... I'll keep an eye out and post specific date and locations if I see it again.

#3890108 - 01/05/14 10:03 PM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Xitax]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
I'm currently using 1.10. I had the issue even in 1.08 enlisted with some squad in Flanders flying the Tripe, then also another flying the Strutter.

My current pilot flying Camels in late 1917 in Flanders does not show the issue in 1.10.

Perhaps more detail is needed... I'll keep an eye out and post specific date and locations if I see it again.

Ok

WM

OBD Software
#3890171 - 01/06/14 12:19 AM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Winding Man]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

Originally Posted By: Winding Man

What version are you running? (look in workshops bottom right) - wind which causes the swinging has been sorted a few patches back.

HTH

WM

Yep, it still happens in the latest version.

Not as much as before, of course, but regularly enough.

Last edited by Nefaro; 01/06/14 12:20 AM.

(For Tech Reference)
#3894302 - 01/13/14 06:21 AM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Xitax Offline
Xitax  Offline

Washington, USA
October 26, 1917: I see the tripes of RNAS 1 weaving back and forth dangerously near each other. No other types out today (looking around in observer mode) are doing it, just the tripes. I had a tripe pilot killed this way, but I wasn't sure if it was still happening in 1.11 until now.

#3901733 - 01/26/14 01:30 AM Re: Getting Regular Collisions In Autopilot [Re: Nefaro]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

I just experienced another tonight.

I managed to barely catch it out of the corner of my eye and heard the collision 'crunch'. A pack of allied planes had appeared on my TAC, out of the sun, about 3nm away while I was on autopilot cruising along in 4x time compression. My flight broke left and a pair of them collided. I believe my flight leader broke left faster than the man on his left and they struck.

By the time I paused the game and got the camera around, one of them had already plunged down too close to the ground to see. However, the other was damaged enough to see the smoke pouring out. We had been heading towards the 3 O'clock position on the TAC when the enemies popped into sight on our 8 o'clock. That's when the quick turn made my flight's AI pilots collide.

I also had one yesterday but didn't get a screenshot.

Last edited by Nefaro; 01/26/14 01:30 AM.

(For Tech Reference)

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.