Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3885103 - 12/28/13 04:28 AM Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

Some strange things going on:

1. During missions where we patrol our own airspace, my flight leader arrives at the patrol area and immediately descends to land. Instead of returning to the home airfield, we get diverted to the closest airfield. The whole flight follows his lead.

2. When this happens, the whole flight becomes blind to anything happening around them. Likewise, enemy AI aircraft do not see my flight leader and wingmen. They will pursue the player at all costs, even when you drag the enemy AI right in front of your wingmen, even when the enemy AI are very outnumbered, etc.

Normally I don't turn on the icons, but this is what it looks like. You can see two friendlies facing the enemy aircraft but they just continue to lazily circle and descend.

#3885461 - 12/28/13 10:43 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

No one else has seen this? What about the frequent diversions to land at an alternate aerodrome?

#3885482 - 12/28/13 11:28 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
Spinkick Offline
Spinkick  Offline

Michigan
Are you sure your flight leader didnt have a malfunction (engine etc) or took a bullet strike or flak strike? I am pretty sure when hit and heading home you are directed to the nearest friendly airfield. Am I wrong on this that AI has random mechanical problems just like the player?

#3885544 - 12/29/13 02:31 AM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

Yes, I am sure. This happens every time we do a sortie where we patrol behind our own lines. It is not worth entertaining the possibility that my flight leader has random engine failure every sortie. Also, a hit from flak is unlikely because we more than 20km inside friendly territory.

#3885545 - 12/29/13 02:36 AM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
Nefaro Offline
Nefaro  Offline

If you turn your TAC on and check the waypoint & your assigned AI task, it usually says "descend & run to nearest airfield" whenever your flight leader decides he'd rather run away than take on whatever enemy group is nearby. So your flight lead is trying to save his bacon.

I tend to see this 'run away' behavior more in the first few missions with each new pilot. After a handful of missions, the flight leaders start engaging more often, unless outnumbered and/or at an altitude disadvantage. I just consider these early missions as training-like orientation missions rather than combat missions (which is probably appropriate).

You'll still see them run away later on, but not near as much. After being in some scrapes with a pilot and his flight, I've learned to follow them when they decide to run because by that point they're often making smart decisions regarding match-ups. I believe that the flight leader's personality will also have an effect on whether they fight or run either way.

I suggest just flying some more missions with the same pilot. You will start getting in entanglements before long, nearly every mission depending on which year you're flying.

Last edited by Nefaro; 12/29/13 02:37 AM.

(For Tech Reference)
i7-4770k Intel Processor @3.5Ghz, 16GB System RAM, GTX760 2GB video, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD (with Win7-64 on it).
#3885573 - 12/29/13 04:16 AM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

I'm already a month into this pilot's career.

Next time I see it I'll check the TAC view and see what it says. Thanks.

#3885793 - 12/29/13 08:05 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
Spinkick Offline
Spinkick  Offline

Michigan
let us know what you find out!

#3885800 - 12/29/13 08:14 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: Nefaro]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: Nefaro
If you turn your TAC on and check the waypoint & your assigned AI task, it usually says "descend & run to nearest airfield" whenever your flight leader decides he'd rather run away than take on whatever enemy group is nearby. So your flight lead is trying to save his bacon.

I tend to see this 'run away' behavior more in the first few missions with each new pilot. After a handful of missions, the flight leaders start engaging more often, unless outnumbered and/or at an altitude disadvantage. I just consider these early missions as training-like orientation missions rather than combat missions (which is probably appropriate).

You'll still see them run away later on, but not near as much. After being in some scrapes with a pilot and his flight, I've learned to follow them when they decide to run because by that point they're often making smart decisions regarding match-ups. I believe that the flight leader's personality will also have an effect on whether they fight or run either way.

I suggest just flying some more missions with the same pilot. You will start getting in entanglements before long, nearly every mission depending on which year you're flying.

Quite correct the morale of your squadron pilots increases over time with each 'succesful' mission they fly - and that means surviving...
The longer they survive the better their morale becomes...and the less likely they will be to run away against poor odds if they are leader.

The AI starting morale value depends on the squad you enlist in - its historical rating basically.

If you enlist in a good or elite squad you have AI pilots with higher morale at the get go...

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#3885817 - 12/29/13 08:48 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
karnak Offline
karnak  Offline

What RoFfan said about AI is hunting the player seems right. I also saw often enemy planes attacking my group but it always seems that i am target nr.1 . Is that how it should be or is it only my impression?

#3885820 - 12/29/13 08:52 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: karnak]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: karnak
What RoFfan said about AI is hunting the player seems right. I also saw often enemy planes attacking my group but it always seems that i am target nr.1 . Is that how it should be or is it only my impression?

Quite false - if you are nearest target or there are more enemy than you then sure it may sometimes appear so - but the AI is NOT coded that way at all.
It is quite unaware of whether you are player or another AI....and the AI fly with the exact same FM DM etc as you do.

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#3885938 - 12/30/13 12:44 AM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

Ok, yes, I have confirmed that the flight leader is just losing his nerve. The same thing happened again. We had a flight of 6 and came across 2 friendly aircraft engaged with 2 enemies. We were ~15km behind friendly lines, but instead of engaging my flight leader bugged out to the nearest friendly aerodrome.

#3886342 - 12/30/13 06:13 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
karnak Offline
karnak  Offline

THX WM!!
Maybe i am to scared of the AI and it seems that they only want to kill me smile
Serious, i am glad that its not coded that way and that i am wrong.

Thx again for your answer.

#3886393 - 12/30/13 07:05 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Also remember on first few sorties your flight will generally stay over your lines more to protect you the newbie.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#3886410 - 12/30/13 07:36 PM Re: Strange AI problem, waypoint diversions [Re: RoFfan]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
The squadrons you enlist in also have historically representative ratings and this determines the skill levels of your AI squadmates - this in turn also affects the abilities of the AI when facing enemies, their aggressiveness and willingness to engage etc.
Their starting morale on average is representative of the squadrons historical rating.

Moreover 'good' or 'elite' squads often have more Historical aces etc as well and will engage more often even with unfavourable odds.

So much is happening.....and this is partly why engagements are so unique when they unfold.

HTH

WM

OBD Software

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.