Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3881106 - 12/21/13 06:29 AM Fresh PWCG_GUI and ROF install is not working  
OlPaint Offline
An Ace in de Skys
OlPaint  Offline
An Ace in de Skys

Ohio
I recently upgraded my OS to Win7 64bit. I discovered that I had to reinstall Rise of Flight from my distribution DVD into a fresh Rise of Flight directory, since my recovered WinXP ROF install failed to run, period.

I setup the new Rise of Flight as follows:

I launched ROF installer on the DVD for first time. When completed, I clicked the desktop icon to launch Rise of Flight and clicked the Update button. I installed the lastest ROF_v1.032 from Update server. I entered my ROF credentials and successfully logged Online. I got the "main screen" with SPAD aircraft rotating in front of me in the center of the museum as I remember from my previous WinXP install. Then I Logged out and Quit Game.

I launched ROF again and configured Game Settings for "Mods On" and Graphics to "1920 x 1080 (16:9)" to match my wide screen monitor. I left every other setting to the defaults. I then started the game and noted the Mods On text in the upper right hand corner of the main screen. I Quit Game again.

I downloaded PWCG_v15.1.zip and unpacked "ROFCampaign" directory into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\ directory.

I downloaded AnKor85's PWCG_GUI_Mod_1032.zip and unpacked "interface.gfx" file into the \Rise of Flight\data\SWF\ folder.

I launched ROF again and selected the "PWCG" tab from the "main screen". Then I remember answering Yes to saving the Log or something like that (I can not remember the exact text). I immediately got a "PWCG" window popup with text of "PWCG loading...". Then after a few moments, the text changed to "Waiting for next mission..." with a "Cancel" button in the lower right corner of the "PWCG" window.

I wait and wait and nothing happened... I finally clicked the "Cancel" button to recover.

What have I forgotten to do? I must be missing a configuration or some other setting that should launch the PWCG application where I can set up the "Campaign" for Country and Pilot Name and Mission. But I can't recall what I have missed. PWCG worked just fine in my WinXP 32bit install. I vaguely remember something about the .vbs script being hijacked by NotePad but I cannot remember what needs to be done to correct that issue.

Can anybody help me get things right? I know others would be greatful to know the tricks.

OlPaint

Within this vale
Of toil
And sin
Your head grows bald
But not your chin - use
Burma-Shave
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3881334 - 12/21/13 05:51 PM Re: Fresh PWCG_GUI and ROF install is not working [Re: OlPaint]  
aust3298 Offline
aust3298  Offline

I assume that you set up a pilot/campaign in PWCG and then generated a mission and accepted it. Once this is done you exit PWGC and the popup you mentioned shows in ROF. You then have to cancel the message popup and go to missions where you will see and can play the mission you just generated in PWGC.

The easiest option is when you are in PWCG creating a mission, you can just hit the fly button and go straight from PWCG to loading and flying the mission. This will bypass the message you get when exiting PWCG to ROF to fly.

I hope this helps.

#3882079 - 12/23/13 01:11 AM Re: Fresh PWCG_GUI and ROF install is not working [Re: OlPaint]  
OlPaint Offline
An Ace in de Skys
OlPaint  Offline
An Ace in de Skys

Ohio
Aust3298

No Joy! I still am unable to get PWCG to work with ROF.

I launched PWCG and started a Campaign as you suggested. I am flying German for Jasta 2 starting 01 January 1917. My Pilot is Uffz Hans Dedrick flying an Albatross D.II Late. I click the Mission tab and get a flight with two wing men to provide top cover for an Observation Balloon along the front. When I click the Accept Mission tab, I immediately get a Dialog window to popup: "Please see the error log file: PWCGErrorLog.txt and post on ROF Forum. ...\data\Missions\Hans Dedrick 1917-01-01.mission (Access is denied)"

I open the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\Missions\ and find the folder is completely empty. PWCG has failed to transfer anything over to the ROF Missions directory. I vaguely remember that we used to have to configure PWCG to point to the address of the ROF data directory. Is that what I am missing? I cannot find a field any where in the simple or advanced configuration screens to address the ROF data directory.

The PWCGErrorLog.txt is as follows:

PWCG Error
Sun Dec 22 19:40:01 EST 2013
java.io.FileNotFoundException: ..\data\Missions\Hans Dedrick 1917-01-01.mission (Access is denied)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(Unknown Source)
at rof.campaign.io.MissionFile.writeMission(MissionFile.java:51)
at rof.campaign.mission.Mission.write(Mission.java:212)
at rof.campaign.mission.Mission.finalizeMission(Mission.java:1252)
at rof.campaign.gui.rofmap.brief.BriefingMapGUI.finalizeMission(BriefingMapGUI.java:655)
at rof.campaign.gui.rofmap.brief.BriefingMapGUI.actionPerformed(BriefingMapGUI.java:767)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Looks like a lot of Unknown Source references.

Any ideas what is wrong with my setup?

OlPaint

Edit:

Success!!! I rechecked the Game Settings and discovered that Mods On checkbox was unselected. I put a check in the box.

Before I restarted PWCG or ROF, I selected Privilege Level under the Compatibility tab in the ROF and PWCG Shortcut Icons properties as "Run this program as an adminstrator" for good measure.

I made a new Mission in PWCG and chose the Accept Mission tab.

I Alt-TAB to minimized PWCG and launched ROF. Low and behold, my new PWCG mission was found under the Main Screen Mission tab in the Missions List screen. Hurray!!!

Thanks for the help.

OlPaint

Last edited by OlPaint; 12/23/13 01:54 AM.

Within this vale
Of toil
And sin
Your head grows bald
But not your chin - use
Burma-Shave
#3882195 - 12/23/13 07:03 AM Re: Fresh PWCG_GUI and ROF install is not working [Re: OlPaint]  
aust3298 Offline
aust3298  Offline

OlPaint,

I'm probably out of my depth here, but the only thing that I see is the directory you have ROF in, \Program Files (x86)\. I only know this because I just built a new pc and transferred my game to the new pc and could not get it to run until I moved it out of \Program Files (x86)\. I just happened across a thread in the ROF forum that mentioned this. Try moving the whole shebang from \Program Files (x86)\ and just in the C/ directory. Mine is in C:\Rise of Flight. Not sure this is your problem but it worked for me. Your problem looks like it could be something else, but it is an easy thing to try. I hope it helps.

Last edited by aust3298; 12/23/13 07:05 AM.
#3882259 - 12/23/13 12:04 PM Re: Fresh PWCG_GUI and ROF install is not working [Re: aust3298]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: aust3298
OlPaint,

I'm probably out of my depth here, but the only thing that I see is the directory you have ROF in, \Program Files (x86)\. I only know this because I just built a new pc and transferred my game to the new pc and could not get it to run until I moved it out of \Program Files (x86)\. I just happened across a thread in the ROF forum that mentioned this. Try moving the whole shebang from \Program Files (x86)\ and just in the C/ directory. Mine is in C:\Rise of Flight. Not sure this is your problem but it worked for me. Your problem looks like it could be something else, but it is an easy thing to try. I hope it helps.

I think that ever since Vista the windows 'official' program files folder has been locked for general editing, so this could well be the case.

#3882287 - 12/23/13 01:00 PM Re: Fresh PWCG_GUI and ROF install is not working [Re: OlPaint]  
OlPaint Offline
An Ace in de Skys
OlPaint  Offline
An Ace in de Skys

Ohio
I had set the ROF and PWCG desktop shortcut icons to "Run this program as an adminstrator" for the same intent to overcome the general editing issue with the \Program Files (x86\ directory. Your suggestion to move the \Rise of Flight\ parent directory to root C:\ directory would accomplish the same thing, I imagine. It would not hurt to try. I will just have to change all the "Start in" addresses of the desktop shortcuts to point to my directory C:\Rise of Flignt\ instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\.

I will report back as how that fix works.

OlPaint

Within this vale
Of toil
And sin
Your head grows bald
But not your chin - use
Burma-Shave

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.