Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3878388 - 12/16/13 11:31 PM JTAC Final Attack Heading  
Jetguy06 Offline
Jetguy06  Offline

Plaquemine, La, US
Hey guys. I have a quick question.

I've completed six missions in the Georgian Hammer with CA campaign, and on the last one, I was tasked with interdicting a BMP column. When I got to the IP, I checked in with JTAC, and did their thing, dishing out coordinates and whatnot. They requested CBU-97's on a final attack heading of 085 270, then told me to egress East to Towel (the IP). I input the coordinates with no problems, then made a pass over the target in CCRP mode, and dropped a single CBU-97. During my pass, however, I was hit by AAA in my right wing, and my right-side generator was disabled. Fortunately, one pass was all I needed, and I turned for home after disabling the BMP's.

My question, which is actually two, are these:

1. When they say, "Final attack heading 085 270," does that mean, my inbound run into the target should be on a heading of 085, since in this case, it brought me directly over several enemy air defenses, or does that mean that my inbound run should be somewhere between 085 and 270 degrees?

2. If both headings are headings that I should fly (I assume 085 would be inbound, and 270 should be outbound once my bomb is dropped), then there are three contradictions here... First, 270 is due west, but, second, the JTAC tells me to egress EAST to Towel, and third, Towel is neither East nor West of the target, but about four or five NM SOUTH (I'm estimating those distances, since I don't have the mission planner map in front of me ATM).

What gives here? I'm confused out of my mind, and I really feel guilty about bringing home an aircraft full of holes, only to get yelled at by my virtual crew chief and CO banghead

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Jetguy06; 12/16/13 11:32 PM.

"A thousand flights mean a thousand landings. Somehow you always have to come down, one way or another. And then one day it will be for the last time."

Heinz Knoke
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3878440 - 12/17/13 01:28 AM Re: JTAC Final Attack Heading [Re: Jetguy06]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I found this:
Quote:
Common restrictions:
1. Final attack heading. “Final attack heading X” or “Final attack heading x-x” where x are
degrees magnetic or cardinal directions. Final attack heading is a restriction often used for gun
or rocket runs which limits the attack heading on the target. This is often done to deconflict fires
from the aircraft with nearby friendly ground troops or to keep the aircraft at distance from a
nearby air threat. When it is given as a range, it is a cone or sector of fire that is acceptable.

The JTAC will provide IP-to-Target distance and bearing for informational purposes only. Any maneuvering from the IP until weapons release is acceptable if it meets other restrictions.

Egress is the initial direction of travel to depart the target area. Once clear of the immediate target area proceed to the given destination as specified (or the hold or CP if not).

Last edited by Frederf; 12/17/13 01:39 AM.
#3878456 - 12/17/13 02:08 AM Re: JTAC Final Attack Heading [Re: Jetguy06]  
Jetguy06 Offline
Jetguy06  Offline

Plaquemine, La, US
Thanks, Frederf. So, if I'm interpreting the quote correctly, the Final Attack Heading x-x are degrees to keep my current heading between when I'm on my run? That seems to be what it's saying, but whoever wrote it, IMO, didn't phrase it very clearly.

I understand Egress now, though. So, if t hey tell me to Egress East to Towel, and Towel is to the South, I Egress East until I'm clear of the immediate target area, then proceed South to Towel. Just a quick question, though... What is a CP?

Thanks again, Frederf!! Great find thumbsup

"A thousand flights mean a thousand landings. Somehow you always have to come down, one way or another. And then one day it will be for the last time."

Heinz Knoke
#3878547 - 12/17/13 06:52 AM Re: JTAC Final Attack Heading [Re: Jetguy06]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Final attack heading 180-200 would be your airplane/weapons traveling either southward or slightly west-of-southward to control any post-impact effects. A 20 degree window of heading between 180 and 200. Pay attention to the order as I imagine 090-360 (75% of a circle) is different than 360-090 (25%).

CP would be contact point, the location where you establish radio communications with the controller. This can be distinct from the hold point which is where you wait until cleared through the IP and then on to target. One doesn't normally hang around at the IP for tasking. This is a little more sophisticated than what the automated JTAC in-game does by default. For a little more real behavior pick a location to contact and hold that's a safe distance behind the IP. When tasked depart the hold and fly through the IP on the way to target.

#3878772 - 12/17/13 04:59 PM Re: JTAC Final Attack Heading [Re: Jetguy06]  
sUrgeon Offline
sUrgeon  Offline

JP 3-09.3 Close Air Support

Final Attack Heading.
JTACs/FAC(A)s assign attack headings for several reasons: to increase ground troop safety, aid in aircraft acquisition by the JTAC/FAC(A), aid aircrews in target acquisition, mitigate collateral damage, meet laser safety cone attack restrictions, and facilitate fire support coordination. Controllers may employ final attack headings/windows that allow aircrew to maneuver on either side of the attack heading. This gives aircrew more flexibility in prosecuting the target while maintaining the required degree of restriction on the aircraft heading. Attack headings/windows might be particularly useful when the attack aircraft are using coordinate dependent weapons, since it is possible the weapon final attack heading may significantly differ from the aircraft heading. Attack headings also allow RW aircraft to maneuver over terrain or urban sprawl to enhance delivery while remaining survivable. Aircrews and JTACs/FAC(A)s must understand that the attack headings may differ between both the aircraft and weapon. JTACs/FAC(A)s must weigh the advantages of issuing an attack heading with the disadvantages of restricting aircraft tactics. Final attack geometry provided as part of the CAS briefing in the form of headings or directions are by definition ‘Restrictions’ and therefore must be readback.

The following are examples of briefed final attack geometry:

1. Magnetic heading: “Final attack heading 230.”

2. Magnetic headings with a cone: “Final attack heading 240-300” or “Final attack heading 270 plus or minus 30 degrees.”
3. Use of cardinal/sub-cardinal directions: “Razor 51, Broadsword 88, make your attack from northeast to southwest.” A JTAC/FAC(A) should be cautious when using this method as no final attack magnetic headings are specified and the attacking aircraft may not be on the exact heading or in the expected sector of airspace for CAS aircraft acquisition or deconfliction. If an exact heading or cone is required, then use of one of the above techniques is recommended.
4. Use of a geographical reference: JTAC/FAC(A) states “Make all attacks parallel to the road.

Last edited by sUrgeon; 12/17/13 05:26 PM.
#3879766 - 12/19/13 01:09 AM Re: JTAC Final Attack Heading [Re: Jetguy06]  
Jetguy06 Offline
Jetguy06  Offline

Plaquemine, La, US
Thanks, guys. That clears it up. Much appreciated!!

Heinz Knoke

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.