Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#3877378 - 12/15/13 11:41 AM Interstellar  
Chaz Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Chaz  Offline
For Whom the Bell Tolls

Teaser

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

Official trailer - 16 May:

Last edited by Chaz; 05/16/14 07:29 PM. Reason: added official trailer
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3877405 - 12/15/13 01:10 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'll be seeing this. I'm a big fan of Nolan's film making.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3877646 - 12/15/13 10:15 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
AWL_Spinner Offline
AWL_Spinner  Offline

Vancouver, Canada
Looks great. Sure hope it taps into a greater desire to get moving again with space exploration. NASA having to choose whether to axe Curiosity or Cassini next year because they can't afford to run both is deeply depressing.

Antec P183/CP-850|i5-750|Asus P7P55D|Asus ENGTS250-1Gb|4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 PC1600|OCZ Vertex|WD Caviar Black|HP LP2475W|Windows 7 Pro x64
#3877793 - 12/16/13 04:54 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
All hope is not lost after all, thank you for bringing us back back from the edge.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3877950 - 12/16/13 02:48 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Well...maybe it won't be horrible. Maybe.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3878040 - 12/16/13 05:16 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Jedi Master]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Well...maybe it won't be horrible. Maybe.

The Jedi Master

Geez, try to keep your optimism in check, will ya?

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#3878100 - 12/16/13 06:07 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Looking at the SF films of the past few years that have been so well-made and done so well at the box office, I find it hard to do so.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3882892 - 12/24/13 05:53 AM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

This will be one of the few upcoming scifi films actually worth paying to see.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3882976 - 12/24/13 12:06 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Well, it's IMO the best movie teaser/trailer that I've seen in this almost ending year.

#3884212 - 12/26/13 02:48 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I am a big fan of Christopher Nolan, and will be seeing this.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3884258 - 12/26/13 04:25 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: ricnunes]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Well, it's IMO the best movie teaser/trailer that I've seen in this almost ending year.
Agreed even though the majority of the trailer has stock footage that isn't even part of the movie! Lol

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3884295 - 12/26/13 06:03 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I liked The Prestige and Inception alright, but I know his work well enough to know I need more to go on than this.

Oh, I think someone needs to add an "alright, alright, alright" with Southern accent here...

The Jedi Master

#3885233 - 12/28/13 01:12 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Agreed even though the majority of the trailer has stock footage that isn't even part of the movie! Lol

Yeah, that's definitely true biggrin

I have high hope for this movie even because I'm also a fan of Christopher Nolan.

Nevertheless there's one thing that's worrying me about this movie which according to this Wikipedia site (which isn't much, granted):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)

it says:
"The plot is believed to involve time travel and alternate dimensions, but other details are being kept under wraps."

Really, I'm starting to be a bit tired of these Carl Sagan's Contact wannabe movies/plots.
Why every Sci-fi movie that involves interstellar/faster-than-light exploration/travel seems to ends up in some sort of an existential crisis involving time travel and/or alternate dimensions??

Can't someone make a Sci-fi movie about interstellar/faster-than-light exploration/travel that doesn't involve time travel (other timelines) or alternate dimensions?
I mean, why can we have a movie about pure and sheer exploration which focus in stuff such as not only the discovery of a faster-than-light way of travelling (which in the case of this movie seems to be a wormhole) but also interrelation between the ship's crew members (during travel/exploration) or even interaction with some alien planet which could have life (intelligent or non-intelligent, don't care) or long gone alien life and/or civilizations or even no-life traces at all? - Anyway that's what the trailer made me wonder about.

#3886150 - 12/30/13 12:40 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Well, it's the nature of the beast. By definition, you can't travel faster than light. So if you do, you ARE traveling through time. In fact, any velocity greater than .5c and you're really starting to have time dilation effects to the point that it's time travel.

Alternate dimensions is another sort of necessary evil. If you're not traveling through normal space to go FTL (because you can't), where ARE you traveling through?

However, a lot of this is just audience familiarity. You try and have a science fiction film that's not going to confuse the audience, and decades of ST and other films means we have a certain understanding of time travel and alternate dimensions already in the zeitgeist and you can either exploit that by using it, or risk being seen as too confusing by going against it or another way.

Oh, and time travel/alternate dimensions allow for the setting up of "twists" or other surprises to help give the plot a hook that the producers may have needed to get the film funded.

The Jedi Master

#3886151 - 12/30/13 12:43 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
+1 Jedi

#3886308 - 12/30/13 05:11 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Jedi Master]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Well, it's the nature of the beast. By definition, you can't travel faster than light. So if you do, you ARE traveling through time. In fact, any velocity greater than .5c and you're really starting to have time dilation effects to the point that it's time travel.

Alternate dimensions is another sort of necessary evil. If you're not traveling through normal space to go FTL (because you can't), where ARE you traveling through?

Well we can debate about what both of us and the rest of humanity really still don't know.

But and entering the realm of speculation and what's already been speculated by experts is that Wormholes, EinsteinRosen bridges or even Alcubierre drives, hyper-drives/hyper-space, etc... (but lets focus on Wormholes which is the "theme" of the movie) are basically shortcuts! These "shortcuts" which includes hypothetical wormholes works on the principle of bending space around the spaceship and its intended destination and basically join those two separate points in space and thus being able to reach much faster (perhaps almost instantaneously - like a jump between two points in space) to the destination which in normal space at speeds close to light-speed would need hundreds if not thousands of years.
From this perspective and relative to normal space the spaceship would appear to have travelled thru time since the ship would travel thru a place not affected by normal space-time.
BUT (and here's the big BUT) for the spaceship's crew perspective no time or considerable short time would pass either when reaching the destination or even when returning to origin point (Earth) so again in the spaceship's crew perspective there would be absolutely no time travel at all! And that's what really maters.

This of course will always be speculation unless someone can confirm this in the future. But remember all the strange stuff that mankind invented before the sound barrier itself was broken stuff, stuff of which never really happened and I wouldn't surprised that if what's written above would be what could eventually happen (but I most likely won't be alive to witness stuff like this).

And of course there always a proven fact that if light speed was a limiting speed/factor that the universe would never be expanded as it currently is - but that's a matter for discussion in maybe, another thread....

However, a lot of this is just audience familiarity. You try and have a science fiction film that's not going to confuse the audience, and decades of ST and other films means we have a certain understanding of time travel and alternate dimensions already in the zeitgeist and you can either exploit that by using it, or risk being seen as too confusing by going against it or another way.

Oh, and time travel/alternate dimensions allow for the setting up of "twists" or other surprises to help give the plot a hook that the producers may have needed to get the film funded.

The Jedi Master

Well if so someone in order to make a interesting (for audience) Sci-fi space movie needs to always or forcedly resort to "existentialist" time-travel or inter-dimensional stuff that I must say that's something wrong with the screenwriters imagination! Well, lack is of imagination is unfortunaly something that we don't lack nowadays, that's for sure!
Anyway, I posted some alternative ideas (alternative to inter-dimensional or time-travel) that someone with better imagination than mine could definitely make it work.

#3886349 - 12/30/13 06:23 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It has nothing to do with imagination. I'm sure there are plenty of scripts out there that have been written like you say you would like seen made.

The problem is no one is willing to fund them. So what does it matter if they're written or not?

As for time travel, most stories revolve around the character traveling thru time and experiencing the world changing around them as opposed to someone having to DEAL with a character that has traveled thru time. Some stories like that exist, but they're in the minority. Back to the Future was not the story of Doc Brown in the 50s dealing with some crazy teenager claiming to be from the future that he then sends away again, not to meet for another 30 years.
So I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make as it seems you're arguing for the status quo, which doesn't need to be argued for!

The Jedi Master

#3886500 - 12/30/13 10:42 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
So, say you have an atom, and it emits a photon.
Then it travels through a wormhole, in time to
arrive at another location where it absorbs the
same photon it emitted earlier. Now, for the photon,
no time passes; it essentially forms a bridge
instantaneously linking the emitting and absorbing
atoms along a separation of zero space and zero time.
But in this case, the photon is seeing one atom
duplicated into two, and straddles the gap between
them. As far as the photon is concerned, this event
can only happen if the atom can be in two locations
at the same time. I suspect this is one of those
situations which aren't allowed. It looks like mass/energy
is not conserved. At least, in the universe wherein
the photon exists, there is an extra atom, so there
is more mass than in our universe...
of course, that universe exists for zero time, so
perhaps it's OK...

There may be other paradoxen spawned here which I'm
not seeing... For one thing, the atom is directly
coupled to its own future, so in some sense the future
seems predestined, although the communication is
only one way, so I don't see a time sequence paradox
which can be extracted there.

#3886755 - 12/31/13 01:24 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Your example is unclear. Are you saying the atom went thru the wormhole or the photon?

Because it's not possible for time to not pass...if it's emitted, and then reabsorbed, time has passed between the emission and absorption even if it's immediately afterwards. It's not concurrent. The photon has to have been emitted before it can be absorbed. It would also require a wormhole that is approx the length of an atomic diameter if your intent is for the atom it left behind to suddenly be in front of it before it's had the chance to travel any measurable distance.

If I get in my car, back out of the driveway and then pull right back up I didn't go anywhere but I still left and returned and time passed. Obviously on a macro scale it takes more time, but it's the same principle.

The Jedi Master

#3886815 - 12/31/13 03:26 PM Re: Interstellar [Re: Chaz]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Chaz
Teaser

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

A group of explorers make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage.

I'll check it out for the names of Nolan, Chastain, McConagehy(sp), and a few other notables being attached to the film.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.