I recommend you rename the copied folder something like 'IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod'
2. Download the zip file to your desktop. The first installer is called: maltasetup1
3. Run maltasetup1 and when you are prompted, point the installer at the directory you have just created with your new copy of the IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover copied folder 'IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod' . If you point the installer to this folder, the mod files will be automatically installed into the root directory of your new copy.
You can check this by seeing if you now have a folder called 'DESERT' and a file called 'kegetys.dll' in the new directory. If so, the install was successful.
4. In explorer, go into your new IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod' directory and locate the launcher.exe program which starts IL2 CoD, Right click and drag this program to your desktop and when you let go of the mouse button you should be prompted to 'create shortcut here'. Create a shortcut for this program on your desktop and rename it 'Malta'.
5. Right click on the new shortcut and select properties, then click on the 'shortcut' tab. In the 'target' field where it says something like "C:\Malta IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\launcher.exe" leave a space and then type
The full line should now look like something this: "C:\Malta IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\launcher.exe" -mod=desert
6. To run the mod you just double click on this shortcut to start the Malta Mod version of CoD.
If you are successful you should see this splash screen when the game is loaded and you reach the menu screen.
At this point you can go to the quick mission menu, choose a quick mission over England, and quickly fly to check that the desert textures have been installed.
You should set trees to low or v low, depending on your preference, for the most realistic look.
PART 2: SKINS and MISSIONS
Now you can install the skins and demo missions.
1. Run 'Maltamissions#1.exe' and follow the prompts
2. This time when you are prompted where to install the files, you should choose your user content folder, which is usually something like:
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
If you choose this folder and click next, the skins and missions will be automatically installed. If you don't pick a folder, they will just be dumped into your MyDocuments folder for you to install manually.
3. To check whether the files have installed correctly, start your Malta mod and go to the Single Missions Menu. You should see the two new single missions:
Now you can fly them and check that your skins have also correctly installed. You should see scenes like this:
If you do, congratulations and have fun! If not, pls post here and we'll try to help you get up and running...
No, it just converts the green landscape tiles to mediterranean/north african look and feel. The Isle of Wight is used as a substitute for Malta.
Is this compatible with the Team Fusion mod?
No, this version is not. There is a more expansive version which IS TF Mod compatible, and contains two REDUX style campaigns as well. But it doesnt feature the desert textures... you can read about on the ATAG website here:
The most common problem so far for people trying to install this mod and not getting a result, is that they have installed it over an already modded TF mod version of the game.
If your version of CoD is the TF mod version I recommend you do the following so that you can have both the TF mod and Malta mod games on your machine:
- In steam, reverify your game files. This will take the game back to the 'default' original version of CoD. - Make two copies of this folder anywhere you like
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover
And call one Malta, and the other TF MOD.
Apply the TF Mod to one folder and the Malta Mod to the other.
Go to the 'launcher.exe' file in each the folders and create a new shortcut on your desktop and rename them to Malta and TF Mod.
Now you have three flavours of CoD: original, Malta and TF MOD. And if any other new mods come along (no doubt they will!) you still have the original you can create another copy from, without wiping all your other content.
Why so complicated to install?
If you are familiar with the kegetys files and Jones Soft mod enabler, you may find that easier. If anyone comes up with an easier way to automate the process, please post here!
These skins are not appropriate to the unit types that fought in Malta
Well spotted. This package is a bit of a kludge, to give the look and feel of a Med campaign, but is far from being accurate in all respects.
Did you add any new aircraft?
No, the package will use the aircraft already available in CoD, which luckily include most of the main combatants who fought in 1940. At the moment adding new aircraft to the sim is a way off, though new variants of what we already have are possible.
Is anyone else working on a Malta map?
Yes, Team Fusion has it in the pipeline, though there is no word on a release date. You can be assured that if they do it, it will be with great accuracy and attention to detail though.
Will this pork my default installation of Cliffs of Dover?
Not if you create a new directory and game shortcut as described above. It will run in a separate directory to your normal game.
However it will use your user settings, which will be common between the two versions. So if you change your options in one version (eg Trees setting), they will also be changed in the other version.
I tried to download the Malta mod demo but get a message 'The user is out of bandwidth'. WTF?
I will post the demo on Airwarfare.com shortly. Some kind soul might also download and host it somewhere in the meanwhile...
Hmmm,when I fly the malta demo the map is original, I fly this mission out of the editor
Do you mean you aren't seeing the desert textures?
Or that the in game map is the original? That is true. The in game map is hard coded, can't change that. I have provided the jpg version above for referemce.
You will see here for example the in game map has all the original names on it. It is the Isle of Wight.
Immersion destroyer? It will be for some. But I happily played many campaigns in IL2 over Russian maps that were supposed to be other theatres.
I figure the 'Malta' theatre is so small, once you've flown a couple of times, you won't need to reference the map! And it is not a part of the coast that has featured heavily in any of the missions or campaigns done for the game so far, so it should be 'new' to many players.
Could be the mod wasnt put into the right directory...
Just check that the Desert folder and the kegetys.dll file are in the il2sturmovik directory (either in the new directory you created, if you created one, or in your default folder in steam\steamapps\common...the screenshots now in the first post might help.
Tried it but all I get is my regular CloD game.No new screens or Malta.Yes I did second "skins & missions " install too but still no joy. This isn't that complex & it should work ,but I'm getting no success after numerous re-trys to the sane new Steam folder...have I missed something? BTW- I am all modded up with ATAG package & just assume it has the TF mod talked about here?