Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
#3923520 - 03/12/14 02:29 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
Ok guys. Thanks for the replies. Just want to get it clear right from the start that I am not trying to step on anyone's toes if they feel like throwing a bunch of cash on an Alpha game (or in the case of Star Citizen, a pre-Alpha). It's your money and your prerogative. I have my own views on this more akin to what Raw Kryptonite said and let's finish it at that.

That said, I am still suitably impressed by the developments to-date on Elite. As mentioned in my post at Community Hall, they really nailed the look of the glass cockpit with head-tracking and from what I call see on youtube, it would appear the flight dynamics is pretty compelling too. We are sorely in need of a good space sim. Getting the combat and flight dynamics tweaked before anything else is bold but smart and I really liked that they had the balls to push this on a priority path. So that is a lot of points for them.

I have not played any Elite series at all. I came from Chris Robert's Wing Commander before making the jump to Falcon and a lifelong affair with sims.

So keep those posts rolling. Would love to hear your views, good or bad with respect to Elite development.

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3923744 - 03/12/14 04:04 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Looking great so far. I will admit that when I saw the Kickstarter I was quite unimpressed compared to SC. But since SC has really jumped the shark into the heavy F2P/MMO department I'm really looking forward to this. I never played Elite but it reminds me of a fancy new version of I-War crossed with TIE Fighter (which is a good thing).

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3923783 - 03/12/14 05:46 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

No probs Harry-the-Ruskie, I've never had the impression you were stomping anything.

Your doubts are absolutely legit.

I've forked a sizeable amount of money into Elite, yet still not enough to make into the alpha tier, therefore I'm going to speak my mind about it, even though a little nostalgia *MIGHT* give me a little headache. smile

Admittedly the Alpha releases have left a mark in the gaming sector. As polished as it was I find it hard to call it alpha...

That's a bit of a gripe I feel toward Frontier. This alpha could have been easily halved and beta given earlier.

Yet still I have quite some games to play so maybe this is a good thing.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3923788 - 03/12/14 05:56 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: Peally]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Peally
Looking great so far. I will admit that when I saw the Kickstarter I was quite unimpressed compared to SC. But since SC has really jumped the shark into the heavy F2P/MMO department I'm really looking forward to this. I never played Elite but it reminds me of a fancy new version of I-War crossed with TIE Fighter (which is a good thing).

I stumbled upon SC pre-kickstarter website WAAAAY before I knew Elite was coming along.

Trust me when I say I was beside myself for the excitement and ready to dish out every penny in my pocket.

My delusion when I saw the kickstarter page for Elite was equally strong.

I was thinking exactly as you.
But the by reading and studying what was written and not the pictures I decided to trust my guts and transferred the pledge from SC to Elite. Just in time hours before the kickstarter end.

In hindsight (albeit a temporary one) I feel I did the right thing.

We will see when the beta hits Benny.

By the way Alpha 3.0 has basically been released.
This update brings IIRC docking and the outfitting. No more pre made set but buy item by item... probably still with a limited inventory.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3923819 - 03/12/14 07:09 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: Peally]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

But since SC has really jumped the shark into the heavy F2P/MMO department I'm really looking forward to this.

Hasnt Elite pretty much done the same thing by offering to sell you ships and starting locations...

From their kickstarter
£25 500 credits - default start - default ship
£32 1,000 credits - Imperial Colony - Imperial Eagle Mk II Fighter
£37 1,000 credits, 1,000 cargo - Federal border system - basic Cobra Mk III
£42 100 credits - anarchic Frontier system - stolen upgraded Cobra Mk III
£55 100 credits - Lave system - basic Cobra Mk III
£70 3,000 credits - edge of explored space - long range version of the Cobra Mk III
£85 4,000 credits - any starter ship

That is basically selling ships just like SC is it not?

#3923831 - 03/12/14 07:31 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: Master]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Master
But since SC has really jumped the shark into the heavy F2P/MMO department I'm really looking forward to this.

Hasnt Elite pretty much done the same thing by offering to sell you ships and starting locations...

From their kickstarter
£70 3,000 credits - edge of explored space - long range version of the Cobra Mk III

This is true, and SC also has its single player offline mode as well. The feeling I get of SC lately is of a lot of money and hype being thrown around with almost nothing to show for it. The above is still a bit silly, but at least you're not dealing with a thousand ship types and exclusives available for preorder with different insurance packages available.

I'm not exactly a fan of the F2P or MMO style of in-game transactions, so SC naturally has me saying "Really? Really?" quite often. That being said I'm sure plenty of people will get plenty of enjoyment out of both games, and it's nice to see the space genre making a comeback.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3923969 - 03/13/14 01:53 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Well, there are no exclusives in SC. Everything you can get in the preorder stuff you can get with in game currency. And the LTI stuff is over exaggerated since they already said it will be extremely cheap to insure you ships and gear.

I think they kind of HAVE to hype up the ship sales stuff though as other wise there really is no chance that these games would be made. But I dont feel that either game is even remotely F2P or MMO style.

#3923979 - 03/13/14 02:55 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
Harry-the-Ruskie Offline
Hotshot
Harry-the-Ruskie  Offline
Hotshot

Malaysia
We shall see. Like I said before, ever since the first Wing Commander, I have the impression that Chris Roberts is a very good self-promoter. He's big on hype but he did bring some creative energy into PC games back then and I wish him and SC all the success.

Certainly I'll be onboard if SC is the runaway success that we all hope it will be.

Meantime, this Elite thing has more substance to sample than SC at this point in time and I like what I see even if I do not warm to their entry-level prices.

Self-publishing appears to be way of the future. In many ways I like this kind of development. If you are going to pour a bunch of money into something, at least get them to the developers' pockets rather than having a huge chunk sucked up by publishing houses just for distribution rights. I hope the days of companies like EA are numbered.

#3924381 - 03/13/14 09:20 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

£200 for access to alpha is an excessive amount of money but as komemiute said, it is with good reason. It keeps the alpha access forums a far more mature and constructive place. The feedback and help people provide is excellent and we get the impression that our input is encouraged and implemented where a genuine improvement would result.

I am an ED alpha backer and I got on board because I want to have some minor influence in how the game progresses before release. I know for a fact that some of the alpha backer input has been taken seriously and implemented.

ED is already has more substance than most full release games I have played recently.

#3924382 - 03/13/14 09:22 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: Master]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

From their kickstarter

Not really. Each one of those ships will be available as an upgrade in the game. There will be no exclusive ships available only to the alpha backers. Likewise each system/location can be visited or reached by all players.

#3924415 - 03/13/14 10:38 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: 2005AD]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 2005AD

From their kickstarter

Not really. Each one of those ships will be available as an upgrade in the game. There will be no exclusive ships available only to the alpha backers. Likewise each system/location can be visited or reached by all players.

Yes and that is also exactly how SC is set up which was the point I was making.

#3924615 - 03/14/14 12:52 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

FD just published new video on Youtube, docking manual for alpha 3.0

Plus Alpha 3.0 is being released by the minute.
Here's the Change log.

SPAAAACE STATION DOOOCKING! biggrin

New Features
- Request docking added to contacts screen
- Ability to dock added
- Docking assist GUI added
- Crime for loitering in docking port added
- Crime for loitering in docking pad without permission added
- Station defences added
- Coriolis and associated location added
- Outfitting added
- Station service for removing bounty added
- Station service for ship and module repair added
- Ability to purchase ship added
- Cobra available to purchase
- Support for controllers masquerading as multiple devices added
- Multiplayer placeholder screen removed, new start point with default Sidewinder added (Note that stats have been reset)
- Ship's computer voice added
- Ship data persistent between loads
- Updated connection code to not require UPNP or NATPMP (Manual port configuration should no longer be needed)
- Different juristictions implemented
- Purchase weapon reloads from station
- Placeholder hyperspace menu added to left panel
- Hyperspace increases heat
- Menus are now positioned on 3D planes
- Module power draw balance pass
- Compass points at landing pad
- Add bounty variation between ship types
- Added Cobra schematic to loading screen
- Added control bindings for Thrustmaster Warthog
- Capital ship defence changed to location rather than success/fail scenario
- Smaller text GUI
- New types of canisters to be collected for differing values
- Ship insurance added

Crash Fixes

- Audio crash for ship operations fixed
- Crash for multiplayer guided missiles fixed
- CPU crash on Moon render fixed
- Crash fix for illegal transform in AI multiplayer
- Crash when exiting to main menu after being in three comabt scenarios fixed
- Prevent crash when game is shut down while loading
- Stellarforge crash when changing locations fixed
- Survive failures to go fullscreen by remaining in windowed mode and retrying next frame
- Fix crash in power distribution
- Module health balance
- Updated machine Ip retrieval (Fixes datagram crash)
- Fix invalid module shutdown crash
- Pure function call in physics fixed
- Resize target crash fixed
- Black screen hang while loading fixed
- Fix atomic thread allocation crash
- Fixed power module crash
- Radar visibility crash fixed
- Error handler shutdown crash fixed
- Launchbay initialisation crash in Impeccable Defence fixed

General Fixes
- Updated PFX for heavy impacts
- Canisters now collide with asteroids
- Federation capital ship optimisations and improvements
- Scanner gunsight tweaked
- Hard point art improvements
- Right to retaliate fixed, although you need to scan to be able to claim bounty (By Design)
- Fixed SSAO not duplicating parameters to right eye (OR)
- Disabled SSAO at all quality levels (OR)
- Planet generation refactor (Players still using the AMD fix flag should retest)
- AI can now jink when taking damage
- Fed Fighter PFX improvements
- Copyright notice updated
- Correctly reset authority if authority is being changed while an authority is being shut down
- Improved scrolling of long lists in combo boxes
- Canisters have a bit more health
- Anacondas in the asteroid belt no longer get aggressive with each other
- Sidewinder chair model updated
- Fix breathhing mask rendering when bloom is enabled
- 3D reticule takes size into account
- Polish pass on thruster effects
- Cargo hatch will now close when the module is not powered
- Extra checks assessing send priority for a machine which isn't connected.
- Additional polish for Anaconda explosion
- Avoid accessing StatePerMachine entries when there's no entry for that machine.
- Do not resolve authority clashes on subordinates.
- Given the invert axis and "does button act like a toggle" option different labels
- Add specific separate attack duties for self*preservation and customised attack targets.
- When connection to server is lost, ensure there's routes to the 'lost connection' exit path which don't involve re-entering the game.
- "b" for back in the pause menu. Activate all the ui schemes on entry to the game to ensure there are generic param entries for all of them.
- Adjust ship population code to be aware that the ship may go straight to Dying / Dead from creation.
- Tweaks to sidewinder loading model
- Death letters don't get sent to self
- AI mining: ensure that we're using the mining laser when mining asteroids; fixes issue where if an AI was attacking in combat (using the pulse laser) they would keep using that when going back to mining.
- Pulse and beam laser impacts updated
- Fixed aggro system
- Fix for session forking
- Use correct monitor when restarting

Known Issue
There is an occasion slow load when loading the station (or when starting a game docked), this can take a few minutes, if it hasan't recovered then kill the game through task manager. This is a priority issue for 3.1, however we didn't want to delay the build for this.

Michael

Last edited by komemiute; 03/14/14 01:19 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3924632 - 03/14/14 01:22 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Just found:

First hand account of Alpha 3.0 experience...

http://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous-...quite-brilliant

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3924692 - 03/14/14 03:01 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

First screenshot of a Cobra Mk.III and the cockpit's landing phase-of-flight instrumentation.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3925031 - 03/15/14 12:51 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
stewartforgie Offline
stewartforgie  Offline

Grangemouth. Scotland.
Link to a docking and launch sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yanwdI9zq_4

Cheers,
Stewart.
#3925410 - 03/16/14 12:38 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Scott Manley did it again! biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3925431 - 03/16/14 02:17 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Man. I hope they borrow some ideas from Independence War 2 and let you crack out your ship in exquisite detail like you could in it.

#3925580 - 03/16/14 03:11 PM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
Man. I hope they borrow some ideas from Independence War 2 and let you crack out your ship in exquisite detail like you could in it.

You mean like the front module comes off the front of the ship? If so, well that's not Elite and I hope they stick what Elite was and not add things from other games. It was great in IW2 but not in Elite.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3925835 - 03/17/14 07:34 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
BULL Offline
BULL  Offline

Well that docking vid just makes me want to spend some money!

Premium beta? OK....I can wait...maybe...probably not...

#3925847 - 03/17/14 08:47 AM Re: Elite Dangerous Alpha is released [Re: stewartforgie]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

The good thing about premium beta (beside the early access) is that it also includes all the future DLC.
We're talking about a huge bonus... yep

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.